A Spirited Valentine ...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I hope so. I have some personal issues with Karl. I don't credit him for DCL's excellence as it has been this way since 1998-99. So long as they don't change too much, they're fine. Hopefully, this guy can get some better ice cream on the ships!

My kids loved the free ice cream, and it's fine for what it is - I even enjoyed being able to grab some ice cream almost whenever I wanted. But we were annoyed that anything... well, seemingly everything else was an upcharge. Premium ice cream? $. Gelato? $. Days-old cupcakes? $. And I don't like it where any adult activity is an upcharge - You're paying a premium for DCL and you can't have even a wine tasting included for free? I understand the spa services being fee-based, since they aren't owned and operated by Disney but by a third-party. But seemingly anything "adult"-related you had to pay for. We were beyond annoyed that we had to pay for popcorn and soda at the movie theater, particularly when you could get soda for free literally everywhere else on-board.

RobbinsDad

RandySavage

Jungle Cruise movie officially a go. Skipper Dwayne sets sail for shooting next spring
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dwayne-johnsons-jungle-cruise-is-a-go-at-disney-991947
Movie is a ways off (Summer 2019 likely), but this is something I've been looking forward to, imagining a big historic adventure series akin to Pirates. I'm hoping - it's heresy to some, I know - that the ride will then be re-imagined to be much less self-aware than it has become, taking a more adventurous tone & (recorded) spiel, akin to the original Thurl Ravenscroft recording:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My comments had nothing to do with my disappointment in WDW. I can be disappointed with TDR and moreso with WDW (which I am).

TDR is great with refurbs and seasonal overlays, but they have done a bad job at expanding their parks this decade and they know it. They've long admitted that until the 35th they no longer thought there was growth left in their parks.

I still don't understand why the Fantasyland plans were so held up. I'm just glad things are rolling again, finally. As they *maybe* finally are at WDW.

Remember OLC bought into the garbage the Igerbots were peddling that theme parks were a mature no growth business.

GiveMeTheMusic

Movie is a ways off (Summer 2019 likely), but this is something I've been looking forward to, imagining a big historic adventure series akin to Pirates. I'm hoping - it's heresy to some, I know - that the ride will then be re-imagined to be much less self-aware than it has become, taking a more adventurous tone & (recorded) spiel, akin to the original Thurl Ravenscroft recording:

I was just discussing the Jungle Cruise yesterday with a friend, and this topic came up. I think for the Jungle Cruise to be taken "seriously" the AAs would need to be upgraded in a major way and several scenes completely redesigned. As it stands it's a 60 year old relic with barely moving AAs that have been intentionally cheesed up over the years to match the humorous tone the skippers now take.

For guests to take it "seriously", a lot would have to change, especially with decades of the joke mode embedded in the public consciousness.

Bocabear

It would be great to update the Jungle Cruise and give it some new tech and some thrilling moments... The Earthquake and Jungle Temple sequence for one, but all of the scenes could be so much more than just the butt of a joke...and quite frankly should be.

RandySavage

I was just discussing the Jungle Cruise yesterday with a friend, and this topic came up. I think for the Jungle Cruise to be taken "seriously" the AAs would need to be upgraded in a major way and several scenes completely redesigned. As it stands it's a 60 year old relic with barely moving AAs that have been intentionally cheesed up over the years to match the humorous tone the skippers now take.

For guests to take it "seriously", a lot would have to change, especially with decades of the joke mode embedded in the public consciousness.

I think the tone should fall in line with Pirates or Mansion, which combine humor with adventure in an earnestly old-fashioned, Disney way. The Ravenscroft track includes the bad puns the ride is known for, but doesn't over-use them, and there is zero self-awareness, i.e., referencing the theme park as a theme park or modern pop culture or current events.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It would be great to update the Jungle Cruise and give it some new tech and some thrilling moments... The Earthquake and Jungle Temple sequence for one, but all of the scenes could be so much more than just the butt of a joke...and quite frankly should be.

Agree a combination of mild thrills and cheesy jokes would be a great combination but dont take away the standup element as thats a BIG part of the charm of the JC

lazyboy97o

It was a safe way of thinking that has permeated Iger & Co for 10 years.
That was the messaging which Iger was giving the financial community up until UNI debuted the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando and disproved that meme.
Disney having double standards when it comes to Tokyo is nothing new. Expansion and building is the way Disney makes additional money off of Tokyo Disney Resort. So the idea of Disney encouraging a lull in building at Tokyo Disney Resort is a bit silly.

Figments Friend

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom