A Spirited Valentine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With the difference being that TDR hasn't -- and won't -- stay stagnant -- while awaiting Frozen's opening. What of substance has opened in WDW since 2011 when Pandora was announced? What at DAK? I hate the comparison with OLC because they literally change things seasonally ... while WDW ... how many years has Wishes been playing? How about RoE? What about that Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It street party parade?

The only problem with 'new' at WDW is it's always worse than what it replaced. That's not the case at TDL. At AK the only significant opening was the Harambe expansion and frankly I was surprised that it was a high quality expansion which mirrored the rest of Harambe. including the electrical wiring which would pass inspection NOWHERE in the world without bribery...

Mike S

I haven't been around here much over the past week or so and, unfortunately, there is a very sad reason for that.

This community lost a dear and valued member and I lost a very cherished spirit in my life. The poster known as @wogwog passed away suddenly and quite unexpectedly in the Orlando area recently and I was upstate with his family and friends for the services.

Wogwog, like a lot of the best people in my life, came into my life through this site (and is why I remain here largely), was a very special and unique personality. Two of the biggest loves in his life were his amazing daughter, also a dear friend, and spending time cruising. One huge regret I have is that we were never able to get on a ship at the same time and never will. He had two fascinating careers before moving to FL a decade ago and was a great storyteller. As I told my significant other 'Angie M' when she finally got to meet him, ''this guy has some great stories -- and at least half of them are true!'' He served his country with honor. He traveled the world. (He ate a lot of cruise line food!) And he never lost his sense of humor, most especially about Disney and its fans and what they did or didn't understand.

He was supposed to be traveling to SDL for the first time later this year, very much looking forward to it, and was a bit more of a fan than he might have wanted people to believe. I will truly miss hanging out with him, talking about Disney and far more. But, most of all, I will miss spending time with him period.

I don't know quite what to say because I'm not sure what his family, his daughter, would be comfortable placing out in public (he was a very private person, which I want to respect) ... but like a lot of people here, there was a lot more to the person behind the poster. So, so much more. And the world is a lesser place without him being here with us.

A far lesser place. :cry:
First @unkadug now @wogwog.

2017 on this site sucks :(
Not really sure how to follow that post up ... getting choked up, which would have wogwog laughing his behind off.
Guess we hit some hot topics like:

Disney Legends announced and ... and ... look, I love Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil and Stan Lee and our next President, Oprah. It's just that ... these people may be Legends in many things they have done, but they are not Disney Legends beyond Bob Iger buying their talents and slapping Disney on them. I know it won't matter to many people. It does to me.

So, now we have a theory tossed out that Tron is coming to Tomorrowland, even if it isn't. Put it this way, you'll see World Showcase expansion before you'll ever see this. Put another way, recall 2-3 years ago when this mystery Frontierland expansion project came out of nowhere and people were talking about it like it was a done deal both here and elsewhere? This is another one of those. It has been tossed around. Dozens of projects get tossed around. And they don't happen either.

No, I don't know anyone who has experienced the ill-conceived Jimmy Fallon ride for UNI who likes it. If they couldn't get Kong right, and they didn't, this lousy idea should have died in blue sky. UNI is all screens, all the time. ... At least until NIntendo ... and the Dragon Challenge replacement, but those are so many years out from happening.

Saw RoL again over the weekend, without a FP, from an unofficial location and ... it still is a very impressive show.

George Kalogridis has ordained that fall now begins in August. And as anyone who knows the man could tell you, he is one trendsetter.

Karl Holz is officially/finally retiring from Disney when his current deal expires in February. He will be replaced by Anthony Connelly, someone I would tell you about if I knew much about him beyond him being a VP at DCL under Holz. While I love DCL, I loathe Karl, so he can't leave too soon. From what I understand, he was given his last three-year-deal largely to lead the process of a second round of expansion that kept getting put off. When he leaves, the design phase of the new ships should be close to done.

Ricky has a new galpal? Shocking. Wonder if she saw his divorce filings.

Spent a little bit of time at WDW over the weekend, twice I was able to simply avoid the metal detectors by playing a confused tourist. If I can do it, then anyone with evil intent can. Of course, they can also blow themselves up at one of these checkpoints for massive carnage, but we're all so willing to play Security Theater 101.
If I'm able to wait for Star Wars I can wait just one more year for Nintendo in 2020 as it is rumored. Assuming SWL actually does open in 2019 and isn't delayed, of course. Forbidden Forest shouldn't be too far behind that. Now, what about the Avengers? Could that also be *gasp* physical?!?!
Nothing special or ground-breaking about this. But will the whores down for the Fallon screens show blog about that truth? We both know the answer. ... I'll go ... when friends can comp me. I'm not in any hurry.
Neither am I. The earliest I could go is as a side trip when I go to Pandora.

RSoxNo1

With the difference being that TDR hasn't -- and won't -- stay stagnant -- while awaiting Frozen's opening. What of substance has opened in WDW since 2011 when Pandora was announced? What at DAK? I hate the comparison with OLC because they literally change things seasonally ... while WDW ... how many years has Wishes been playing? How about RoE? What about that Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It street party parade?
A decade too late Fantasyland expansion opened since 2011... and they tore down DHS and EPCOT.

Having said that, I certainly accept the premise that OLC has been conservative with that resort. They've probably been too slow with their additions and I fear that it too will see character infusion take over.

HMF

Have you experienced them? Or just hate them based on some fanboi principle? Because they are both quality attractions. Crush's coaster is the best Nemo-themed attraction anywhere by far. And Rat is a great ride.
I dis-like both Franchises, Nemo, I hate because of what it did to The Living Seas Rattatoile I never cared for anyway and will probably hate because they are jamming it into Epcot.

the.dreamfinder

oo0eod-georgemcginnis5.jpg

Imagineer George McGinnis, WEDWay People Mover, Space Mountain, Horizons, Mark V and VI Monorails, and Indiana Jones Adventure, has passed away at the age of 87.
http://progresscityusa.com/2017/04/06/remembering-george-mcginnis/

Last edited:

BrianLo

My comments had nothing to do with my disappointment in WDW. I can be disappointed with TDR and moreso with WDW (which I am).

TDR is great with refurbs and seasonal overlays, but they have done a bad job at expanding their parks this decade and they know it. They've long admitted that until the 35th they no longer thought there was growth left in their parks.

I still don't understand why the Fantasyland plans were so held up. I'm just glad things are rolling again, finally. As they *maybe* finally are at WDW.

Quinnmac000

My comments had nothing to do with my disappointment in WDW. I can be disappointed with TDR and moreso with WDW (which I am).

TDR is great with refurbs and seasonal overlays, but they have done a bad job at expanding their parks this decade and they know it. They've long admitted that until the 35th they no longer thought there was growth left in their parks.

I still don't understand why the Fantasyland plans were so held up. I'm just glad things are rolling again, finally. As they *maybe* finally are at WDW.

Tokyo Disney now faces issues as construction in Tokyo is extremely expensive now with most the resources going to the Olympics.

It seems Nintendo seems happy with how the tonight show attraction went down. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/850077568006987776

Last edited:

Mike S

WDW1974

Original Poster
Truly sorry for the loss of wogwog. I really liked him. I wouldn't have ever known you knew them outside of the board. My thoughts are with his daughter and with you.

Thanks. He was truly a great guy and that often gets tossed around too much so it rings hollow, but not in this case. And I know lots of people here. Some very, very well. Some are well known, others are not. But almost everyone I have met has become a friend and stayed with me. Apparently, I'm loveable. Who knew?

Don't know what they were thinking with Fallon besides synergy and another "kewl screenz" ride. But apparently it has guest satisfaction "through the roof" and they now want to have all queues be switchback-less. Ugh.

I'll believe those satisfaction scores when I see them and see what they are asking and how. It's also early. Fallon was still there taping shows today. Let's see what people think in July ... and September etc. And their queue BS is just that. It is much like Disney and FP+/MM/NGE trying to reinvent the theme park experience. It is all sort of insane and arrogant when parks have never been more popular or financially successful. Waiting in line is part of the experience.

Glad you enjoyed ROL. Got to see it last Thursday (guess we missed each other at the world ;) ) and really loved it. It can use a bit or work but it's beautiful. I love the music. The floats are impressive as are the lotus floats.

It would be better with the eight minutes added in and everything working correctly ... but it still is so nice and fitting with the park. I just pray they keep the foamheads away.

I too was able to bypass the scanner at times. It wasn't really that hard :/ ...

It was beyond easy. A third time, I almost made it but the security guy followed me. I gave him 'tude and told him (the truth) which was four people in front of me went right on by and I followed and assumed they were not screening everyone and that if one of them was out to commit an evil act they were already in the park. He asked me to walk back to the scanner and I did, but by then there was a line and he told the other guys he'd just wand me. He did my arms, asked me if i had anything in my pockets and then didn't even bother. I apologized for yelling at him, but also said that policy needs to be consistent, that EPCOT isn't an airport and if you hassle people too much they just won't show up or they'll cause a distraction and you'll miss the real threat ... he agreed and apologized to me saying ''It's my fault, sir. I was supposed to make sure all of you went through and that didn't happen. I'm supposed to make sure you do." I would have gone and given him a compliment at Guest Relations, but didn't want him fired. ... But it is all a total joke. They should do away with it all. And just have a large presence at the entrances and watch people. While he was dealing with me, I was watching as an 87-year-old (I know this because her daughter said it) woman in a wheelchair was asked if she could kindly get out and walk through and I'm sorry ... but much like molesting tweens at airports, that is stupidity. When an 87-year-old white woman from the Heartland takes out 400 people with a bomb under her chair, then maybe ... but there is no threat and ... just ...no.

Haven't had the pleasure of a Disney cruise yet (I've done Carnival twice but that was 2009 and 2010), do you believe the new guy will be better, as people seemed to praise DCL as having the standards WDW used to have.

I hope so. I have some personal issues with Karl. I don't credit him for DCL's excellence as it has been this way since 1998-99. So long as they don't change too much, they're fine. Hopefully, this guy can get some better ice cream on the ships!

WDW1974

Original Poster
First @unkadug now @wogwog.

2017 on this site sucks :(

I have had a few years of this. And I'm sorta done. Done with death, dying and disaster. ... but 2017 sucks for many reasons and we are just starting April!

If I'm able to wait for Star Wars I can wait just one more year for Nintendo in 2020 as it is rumored. Assuming SWL actually does open in 2019 and isn't delayed, of course. Forbidden Forest shouldn't be too far behind that. Now, what about the Avengers? Could that also be *gasp* physical?!?!

I assume you are talking IOA and not DCA or HKDL. If that is the case, all I can say is I don't know. Things have been quiet on that front for quite a while. I think that's because of officially signing the Nintendo deal as well as moving multiple Potter projects ahead. I do think it's too much Potter.

Neither am I. The earliest I could go is as a side trip when I go to Pandora.

Do they have flights from there?

WDW1974

Original Poster
A decade too late Fantasyland expansion opened since 2011... and they tore down DHS and EPCOT.

Having said that, I certainly accept the premise that OLC has been conservative with that resort. They've probably been too slow with their additions and I fear that it too will see character infusion take over.

I don't even want to talk about NEW, NEW, NEW Fantasyland. Never has so many words and so much energy been expanded on such a mediocre project at WDW. And that is saying something.

They have been a bit conservative, but some of that was the result of the natural disaster, some due to construction issues, and some because they were looking at another park option ... but that didn't stop them from keeping the parks fresh with new shows, parades, seasonal entertainment etc. WDW was a stale product largely when Bob Iger took over ... how many years did it take just to announce something major was coming?

Mike S

I assume you are talking IOA and not DCA or HKDL. If that is the case, all I can say is I don't know. Things have been quiet on that front for quite a while. I think that's because of officially signing the Nintendo deal as well as moving multiple Potter projects ahead. I do think it's too much Potter.
Yeah, IoA. That's really the one most here should care about since it's the most likely one they'll be close to based on the fact this is a WDW focused site.

I'm fine with the Forest as there's really nothing else they could do with that land since it's already boxed in on all guest accessible sides by Hogsmeade and my posting history shows that I've wanted to see this happen to Dragon Challenge since about the time I joined. After this though I think it should end to focus on other things. Let another London based IP take over Fear Factor. The idea of visiting the Ministry of Magic has lost its luster, at least to me.
Do they have flights from there?
:hilarious:

Nemo14

I haven't been around here much over the past week or so and, unfortunately, there is a very sad reason for that.

This community lost a dear and valued member and I lost a very cherished spirit in my life. The poster known as @wogwog passed away suddenly and quite unexpectedly in the Orlando area recently and I was upstate with his family and friends for the services.

Wogwog, like a lot of the best people in my life, came into my life through this site (and is why I remain here largely), was a very special and unique personality. Two of the biggest loves in his life were his amazing daughter, also a dear friend, and spending time cruising. One huge regret I have is that we were never able to get on a ship at the same time and never will. He had two fascinating careers before moving to FL a decade ago and was a great storyteller. As I told my significant other 'Angie M' when she finally got to meet him, ''this guy has some great stories -- and at least half of them are true!'' He served his country with honor. He traveled the world. (He ate a lot of cruise line food!) And he never lost his sense of humor, most especially about Disney and its fans and what they did or didn't understand.

He was supposed to be traveling to SDL for the first time later this year, very much looking forward to it, and was a bit more of a fan than he might have wanted people to believe. I will truly miss hanging out with him, talking about Disney and far more. But, most of all, I will miss spending time with him period.

I don't know quite what to say because I'm not sure what his family, his daughter, would be comfortable placing out in public (he was a very private person, which I want to respect) ... but like a lot of people here, there was a lot more to the person behind the poster. So, so much more. And the world is a lesser place without him being here with us.

A far lesser place. :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear this. Truly a loss to the community here and obviously a great loss to you.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom