A Spirited Valentine ...

TalkingHead

WDW1974

Original Poster
I haven't been around here much over the past week or so and, unfortunately, there is a very sad reason for that.

This community lost a dear and valued member and I lost a very cherished spirit in my life. The poster known as @wogwog passed away suddenly and quite unexpectedly in the Orlando area recently and I was upstate with his family and friends for the services.

Wogwog, like a lot of the best people in my life, came into my life through this site (and is why I remain here largely), was a very special and unique personality. Two of the biggest loves in his life were his amazing daughter, also a dear friend, and spending time cruising. One huge regret I have is that we were never able to get on a ship at the same time and never will. He had two fascinating careers before moving to FL a decade ago and was a great storyteller. As I told my significant other 'Angie M' when she finally got to meet him, ''this guy has some great stories -- and at least half of them are true!'' He served his country with honor. He traveled the world. (He ate a lot of cruise line food!) And he never lost his sense of humor, most especially about Disney and its fans and what they did or didn't understand.

He was supposed to be traveling to SDL for the first time later this year, very much looking forward to it, and was a bit more of a fan than he might have wanted people to believe. I will truly miss hanging out with him, talking about Disney and far more. But, most of all, I will miss spending time with him period.

I don't know quite what to say because I'm not sure what his family, his daughter, would be comfortable placing out in public (he was a very private person, which I want to respect) ... but like a lot of people here, there was a lot more to the person behind the poster. So, so much more. And the world is a lesser place without him being here with us.

A far lesser place. :cry:

EPCOTCenterLover

I haven't been around here much over the past week or so and, unfortunately, there is a very sad reason for that.

This community lost a dear and valued member and I lost a very cherished spirit in my life. The poster known as @wogwog passed away suddenly and quite unexpectedly in the Orlando area recently and I was upstate with his family and friends for the services.

Wogwog, like a lot of the best people in my life, came into my life through this site (and is why I remain here largely), was a very special and unique personality. Two of the biggest loves in his life were his amazing daughter, also a dear friend, and spending time cruising. One huge regret I have is that we were never able to get on a ship at the same time and never will. He had two fascinating careers before moving to FL a decade ago and was a great storyteller. As I told my significant other 'Angie M' when she finally got to meet him, ''this guy has some great stories -- and at least half of them are true!'' He served his country with honor. He traveled the world. (He ate a lot of cruise line food!) And he never lost his sense of humor, most especially about Disney and its fans and what they did or didn't understand.

He was supposed to be traveling to SDL for the first time later this year, very much looking forward to it, and was a bit more of a fan than he might have wanted people to believe. I will truly miss hanging out with him, talking about Disney and far more. But, most of all, I will miss spending time with him period.

I don't know quite what to say because I'm not sure what his family, his daughter, would be comfortable placing out in public (he was a very private person, which I want to respect) ... but like a lot of people here, there was a lot more to the person behind the poster. So, so much more. And the world is a lesser place without him being here with us.

A far lesser place. :cry:
I'm so sorry, WDW1974! Losing friends like that is never easy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not really sure how to follow that post up ... getting choked up, which would have wogwog laughing his behind off.
Guess we hit some hot topics like:

Disney Legends announced and ... and ... look, I love Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil and Stan Lee and our next President, Oprah. It's just that ... these people may be Legends in many things they have done, but they are not Disney Legends beyond Bob Iger buying their talents and slapping Disney on them. I know it won't matter to many people. It does to me.

So, now we have a theory tossed out that Tron is coming to Tomorrowland, even if it isn't. Put it this way, you'll see World Showcase expansion before you'll ever see this. Put another way, recall 2-3 years ago when this mystery Frontierland expansion project came out of nowhere and people were talking about it like it was a done deal both here and elsewhere? This is another one of those. It has been tossed around. Dozens of projects get tossed around. And they don't happen either.

No, I don't know anyone who has experienced the ill-conceived Jimmy Fallon ride for UNI who likes it. If they couldn't get Kong right, and they didn't, this lousy idea should have died in blue sky. UNI is all screens, all the time. ... At least until NIntendo ... and the Dragon Challenge replacement, but those are so many years out from happening.

Saw RoL again over the weekend, without a FP, from an unofficial location and ... it still is a very impressive show.

George Kalogridis has ordained that fall now begins in August. And as anyone who knows the man could tell you, he is one trendsetter.

Karl Holz is officially/finally retiring from Disney when his current deal expires in February. He will be replaced by Anthony Connelly, someone I would tell you about if I knew much about him beyond him being a VP at DCL under Holz. While I love DCL, I loathe Karl, so he can't leave too soon. From what I understand, he was given his last three-year-deal largely to lead the process of a second round of expansion that kept getting put off. When he leaves, the design phase of the new ships should be close to done.

Ricky has a new galpal? Shocking. Wonder if she saw his divorce filings.

Spent a little bit of time at WDW over the weekend, twice I was able to simply avoid the metal detectors by playing a confused tourist. If I can do it, then anyone with evil intent can. Of course, they can also blow themselves up at one of these checkpoints for massive carnage, but we're all so willing to play Security Theater 101.

Last edited:

brb1006

Not really sure how to follow that post up ... getting choked up, which would have wogwog laughing his behind off.

Disney Legends announced and ... and ... look, I love Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil and Stan Lee and our next President, Oprah. It's just that ... these people may be Legends in many things they have done, but they are not Disney Legends beyond Bob Iger buying their talents and slapping Disney on them. I know it won't matter to many people. It does to me.

So, now we have a theory tossed out that Tron is coming to Tomorrowland, even if it isn't. Put it this way, you'll see World Showcase expansion before you'll ever see this. Put another way, recall 2-3 years ago when this mystery expansion project came out of nowhere and people were talking about it like it was a done deal? This is another one of those. It has been tossed around. Dozens of projects get tossed around. And they don't happen either.

No, I don't know anyone who has experienced the ill-conceived Jimmy Fallon ride for UNI who likes it. If they couldn't get Kong right, and they didn't, this lousy idea should have died in blue sky. UNI is all screens, all the time. ... At least until NIntendo ... and the Dragon Challenge replacement, but those are so many years out from happening.

Saw RoL again over the weekend, without a FP, from an unofficial location and ... it still is a very impressive show.

George Kalogridis has ordained that fall now begins in August. And as anyone who knows the man could tell you, he is one trendsetter.

Karl Holz is officially/finally retiring from Disney when his current deal expires in February. He will be replaced by Anthony Connelly, someone I would tell you about if I knew much about him beyond him being a VP at DCL under Holz. While I love DCL, I loathe Karl, so he can't leave too soon. From what I understand, he was given his last three-year-deal largely to lead the process of a second round of expansion that kept getting put off. When he leaves, the design phase of the new ships should be close to done.

Spent a little bit of time at WDW over the weekend, twice I was able to simply avoid the metal detectors by playing a confused tourist. If I can do it, then anyone with evil intent can. Of course, they can also blow themselves up at one of these checkpoints for massive carnage, but we're all so willing to play Security Theater 101.
I think you need to take a break from the forums for a while until you feel better after the heartbreaking news. I'm really sorry about the news.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So pricing came out for Universal's "Water Theme Park" yesterday. $67 a day, in line with pricing for Disney's Water Parks. They can use any kind of nomenclature they want. They don't believe it's a true theme park and they are pricing it as such.

Nothing special or ground-breaking about this. But will the whores down for the Fallon screens show blog about that truth? We both know the answer. ... I'll go ... when friends can comp me. I'm not in any hurry.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't really "do" the water parks (a lot of is because of heights) but I'm already looking forward to planning a stay at Cabana Bay and checking it out.

If we're passholders I was hearing you have to pay to upgrade or something? I need to do some research, do you know @Disneyhead'71 ? I'm sure I'll go and find out now but just curious.

Most fanbois and O-Town Lifestylers/bloggers have (this will shock you) bathing suit issues and tend to pretend the water parks as well as resort pools do not exist.

Animaniac93-98

I actually enjoy the park's roster of attractions, although closing Cinemagique is a huge negative. For years it has had more quality attractions than Disney Construction Mess IP MAGIC Adventure Park.

I spent a "full day" (based on 10:00am to 6:00pm operating hours) at the park recently and did not get through all the rides and shows. More should be added, but it has a number of things worth doing.

And it is still there. ... But there are far more attractions than simply this one. Although they have the best CMs of any Tower in the world.

That they do. They're very much in character.

Kman101

So, now we have a theory tossed out that Tron is coming to Tomorrowland, even if it isn't. Put it this way, you'll see World Showcase expansion before you'll ever see this. Put another way, recall 2-3 years ago when this mystery Frontierland expansion project came out of nowhere and people were talking about it like it was a done deal both here and elsewhere? This is another one of those. It has been tossed around. Dozens of projects get tossed around. And they don't happen either.

Truly sorry for the loss of wogwog. I really liked him. I wouldn't have ever known you knew them outside of the board. My thoughts are with his daughter and with you.

Don't know what they were thinking with Fallon besides synergy and another "kewl screenz" ride. But apparently it has guest satisfaction "through the roof" and they now want to have all queues be switchback-less. Ugh.

Glad you enjoyed ROL. Got to see it last Thursday (guess we missed each other at the world ;) ) and really loved it. It can use a bit or work but it's beautiful. I love the music. The floats are impressive as are the lotus floats.

I too was able to bypass the scanner at times. It wasn't really that hard :/ ...

Haven't had the pleasure of a Disney cruise yet (I've done Carnival twice but that was 2009 and 2010), do you believe the new guy will be better, as people seemed to praise DCL as having the standards WDW used to have.

Kman101

Most fanbois and O-Town Lifestylers/bloggers have (this will shock you) bathing suit issues and tend to pretend the water parks as well as resort pools do not exist.

:hilarious:

It's really something to see them ... promote themselves ... on Twitter ... one of them was begging for media access to Pandora and another tweets WDWToday like it's their best friend ... to each their own and I love Disney but no thanks to being a lifestyler

Kman101

I spent a "full day" (based on 10:00am to 6:00pm operating hours) at the park recently and did not get through all the rides and shows. More should be added, but it has a number of things worth doing.

That they do. They're very much in character.

Speaking of "in character" I have to say the Haunted Mansion castmembers aren't very good. They look sad and depressed instead of in character. (I guess maybe sad and depressed is the point but I noticed a real lack of quality there)

WDW1974

Original Poster
What @rushtest4echo mentioned. The circa October 2014 plans with it going into that expansion pad were scrapped in favor of a plot with a bit more acreage. Reminiscent of the constantly moving target for Star Wars.

That said they've been very quiet about it. I'm still disappointed that all of those announcements should have been starting to open now... at least they are finally kicking off construction. Frozen will technically lap Pandora by at least a year for long gestating announced projects.

The fiscal year has just ended, financial results will be out the end of April and traditionally it's one of the time we hear about updates, so hopefully we hear then.

With the difference being that TDR hasn't -- and won't -- stay stagnant -- while awaiting Frozen's opening. What of substance has opened in WDW since 2011 when Pandora was announced? What at DAK? I hate the comparison with OLC because they literally change things seasonally ... while WDW ... how many years has Wishes been playing? How about RoE? What about that Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It street party parade?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom