A Spirited Valentine ...

the.dreamfinder

Disney having double standards when it comes to Tokyo is nothing new. Expansion and building is the way Disney makes additional money off of Tokyo Disney Resort. So the idea of Disney encouraging a lull in building at Tokyo Disney Resort is a bit silly.
They did try to build a Disney complex in Okinawa during the aughts so it wasn't like they weren't doing anything.

kpilcher

I haven't been around here much over the past week or so and, unfortunately, there is a very sad reason for that.
I don't know quite what to say because I'm not sure what his family, his daughter, would be comfortable placing out in public (he was a very private person, which I want to respect) ... but like a lot of people here, there was a lot more to the person behind the poster. So, so much more. And the world is a lesser place without him being here with us.

A far lesser place. :cry:

I am SO sorry for your loss!!!!! Praying for his family. I know it must be a terrible time.

FigmentJedi

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/late-carrie-fisher-final-star-wars-movie-article-1.3030154
The late Carrie Fisher will make an appearance from beyond the grave in the final Star Wars movie, her brother Todd Fisher tells Confidential.

After months of speculation about Carrie's future in the sci-fi saga, Todd has revealed that Disney bosses want to bring Princess Leia back for Episode IX. And he said he and Carrie's daughter, Billie Lourd, have granted the studio rights to use recent footage for the finale. It is understood that CGI will not be used to recreate Leia.

“Both of us were like, ‘Yes, how do you take her out of it?’ And the answer is you don't,” said Fisher, as he attended the opening night gala of the TCM Film Festival in Los Angeles, celebrating “In the Heat of the Night.”

“She’s as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that's what's happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue.”

To what extent Leia will figure in to the storyline is not clear. “I’m not the only part in that equation, but I think the people deserve to have her,” said Fisher. “She's owned by them.”

And he said he had total faith in the filmmakers to “do great things.”

“You don't mess with this legacy,” he said. “It would be like rewriting the Bible. To me, Star Wars is the holy grail of storytelling and lore and you can't mess with it.”

Fisher said he was “touched” and “proud” at the outcry of love that followed the deaths of his sister and their mother Debbie Reynolds, who died just days apart in December. And the actor and director said one of his next projects may be a collaboration of sorts with his late sister.

“Carrie and I grew up with a magical life, we really did, and there are a lot of stories to tell. Carrie and I actually wrote some things together. It's very likely that I'll get to those now sooner than I would have normally, because we didn't think the stories were going to end. Now that they’ve ended, the stories probably should be told. So there’s some magic left in us and there are a lot of Carrie’s words left unspoken that will be spoken.”

Kman101

It would be great to update the Jungle Cruise and give it some new tech and some thrilling moments... The Earthquake and Jungle Temple sequence for one, but all of the scenes could be so much more than just the butt of a joke...and quite frankly should be.

I wouldn't mind a completely updated Jungle Cruise, If they chose that route, but I wouldn't want to see Rock AA's just shoved in there like Johnny Depp in Pirates. That's lazy. (Though I know people go nuts for both of them so they'd eat it up)

Sort of ironic how the movie will be based on the classic ride which then probably gets updated because of the movie ... thus losing the classic the movie was based on to begin (if it does extremely well, of course), but it's a ways off so .... and even then I doubt they do anything

180º

Movie is a ways off (Summer 2019 likely), but this is something I've been looking forward to, imagining a big historic adventure series akin to Pirates. I'm hoping - it's heresy to some, I know - that the ride will then be re-imagined to be much less self-aware than it has become, taking a more adventurous tone & (recorded) spiel, akin to the original Thurl Ravenscroft recording:

Eh, I think that would confuse the tone of the attraction, especially at WDW where it was designed from scratch to be whimsical and gag-filled. Marc Davis did it perfectly the first time, and the caricature of the setting perfectly sets the tone for both gags and moodier interludes like the sunken temple. If they were to give the attraction a more sincere, stoic narrative, I'm afraid the aesthetic of the ride would stop appearing as charming and caricatured and start reading as just...awkwardly, slightly inaccurate.

Completely unrelated, RandySavage, but I'm a big fan of your work. (Not the macho man thing; the environmental design thing. Ha ha.)

ItlngrlBella

I haven't been around here much over the past week or so and, unfortunately, there is a very sad reason for that.

This community lost a dear and valued member and I lost a very cherished spirit in my life. The poster known as @wogwog passed away suddenly and quite unexpectedly in the Orlando area recently and I was upstate with his family and friends for the services.

Wogwog, like a lot of the best people in my life, came into my life through this site (and is why I remain here largely), was a very special and unique personality. Two of the biggest loves in his life were his amazing daughter, also a dear friend, and spending time cruising. One huge regret I have is that we were never able to get on a ship at the same time and never will. He had two fascinating careers before moving to FL a decade ago and was a great storyteller. As I told my significant other 'Angie M' when she finally got to meet him, ''this guy has some great stories -- and at least half of them are true!'' He served his country with honor. He traveled the world. (He ate a lot of cruise line food!) And he never lost his sense of humor, most especially about Disney and its fans and what they did or didn't understand.

He was supposed to be traveling to SDL for the first time later this year, very much looking forward to it, and was a bit more of a fan than he might have wanted people to believe. I will truly miss hanging out with him, talking about Disney and far more. But, most of all, I will miss spending time with him period.

I don't know quite what to say because I'm not sure what his family, his daughter, would be comfortable placing out in public (he was a very private person, which I want to respect) ... but like a lot of people here, there was a lot more to the person behind the poster. So, so much more. And the world is a lesser place without him being here with us.

@WDW1974 I am so very sorry for your loss and everyone's loss here - he made the forum a better place, as I am sure he did in your life and our world. He will be missed.

RandySavage

Eh, I think that would confuse the tone of the attraction, especially at WDW where it was designed from scratch to be whimsical and gag-filled. Marc Davis did it perfectly the first time, and the caricature of the setting perfectly sets the tone for both gags and moodier interludes like the sunken temple. If they were to give the attraction a more sincere, stoic narrative, I'm afraid the aesthetic of the ride would stop appearing as charming and caricatured and start reading as just...awkwardly, slightly inaccurate.

Completely unrelated, RandySavage, but I'm a big fan of your work. (Not the macho man thing; the environmental design thing. Ha ha.)

Gracias. I agree that the Marc Davis style/tone is integral to the attraction, as it is to Pirates. I think the Ravenscroft spiel is much closer to Davis' intent than the current live ones you might hear, that include lots of "hip", modern self-aware jokes (i.e. about elephant Donald Trunk or real ducks being the only fake animals on the ride). I grew up on the great recorded spiels (classic EPCOT Center, Haunted Mansion, Mark Twain, 20,000K, Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride 1.0 ("You are aboard the Nostromo")) and would always opt for a classic pre-record over a live spiel delivered at a mediocre level. The Age of the Pre-recorded Spiel seems to be over, sadly for me.

HMF

Gracias. I agree that the Marc Davis style/tone is integral to the attraction, as it is to Pirates. I think the Ravenscroft spiel is much closer to Davis' intent than the current live ones you might hear, that include lots of "hip", modern self-aware jokes (i.e. about elephant Donald Trunk or real ducks being the only fake animals on the ride). I grew up on the great recorded spiels (classic EPCOT Center, Haunted Mansion, Mark Twain, 20,000K, Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride 1.0 ("You are aboard the Nostromo")) and would always opt for a classic pre-record over a live spiel delivered at a mediocre level. The Age of the Pre-recorded Spiel seems to be over, sadly for me.
Actually, I would argue the age of live tour guides is over considering supposedly both Jungle Cruise and GMR Cast Members are apparently told to behave like robots.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I dis-like both Franchises, Nemo, I hate because of what it did to The Living Seas Rattatoile I never cared for anyway and will probably hate because they are jamming it into Epcot.

Brad Rex wanted to shutter/destroy the pavilion. It was saved by the cartoon fish (as I used to lecture the EPCOT Explorer about). And because it was saved, it can be updated and changed again. If it had been closed, it would be dead.

And Ratatouille is one of Pixar's truly great films and, obviously, is a perfect fit at WDSP. I am not thrilled about the prospects of it coming to EPCOT either but one thing rationally has little to do with the other.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My comments had nothing to do with my disappointment in WDW. I can be disappointed with TDR and moreso with WDW (which I am).

TDR is great with refurbs and seasonal overlays, but they have done a bad job at expanding their parks this decade and they know it. They've long admitted that until the 35th they no longer thought there was growth left in their parks.

I still don't understand why the Fantasyland plans were so held up. I'm just glad things are rolling again, finally. As they *maybe* finally are at WDW.

I don't get to TDR enough to be disappointed with anything. So glad to be heading back soon! ... But, again, there were extenuating circumstances behind the delays and changes ... and I don't mind.

I do worry that in a decade TDS will be nothing but a park dedicated to Duffy and his family and friends, but beyond that I see a very positive trajectory for those parks.

HMF

Brad Rex wanted to shutter/destroy the pavilion. It was saved by the cartoon fish (as I used to lecture the EPCOT Explorer about). And because it was saved, it can be updated and changed again. If it had been closed, it would be dead.
And what is the likelihood it will revert back to a character-free or at least EPCOT-Worthy Pavilion?

IanDLBZF

This community lost a dear and valued member and I lost a very cherished spirit in my life. The poster known as @wogwog passed away suddenly and quite unexpectedly in the Orlando area recently and I was upstate with his family and friends for the services.

Wogwog, like a lot of the best people in my life, came into my life through this site (and is why I remain here largely), was a very special and unique personality. Two of the biggest loves in his life were his amazing daughter, also a dear friend, and spending time cruising. One huge regret I have is that we were never able to get on a ship at the same time and never will. He had two fascinating careers before moving to FL a decade ago and was a great storyteller. As I told my significant other 'Angie M' when she finally got to meet him, ''this guy has some great stories -- and at least half of them are true!'' He served his country with honor. He traveled the world. (He ate a lot of cruise line food!) And he never lost his sense of humor, most especially about Disney and its fans and what they did or didn't understand.

He was supposed to be traveling to SDL for the first time later this year, very much looking forward to it, and was a bit more of a fan than he might have wanted people to believe. I will truly miss hanging out with him, talking about Disney and far more. But, most of all, I will miss spending time with him period.

My thoughts and prayers do go out to you. @wogwog will greatly be missed by all. :(

WDW1974

Original Poster
My kids loved the free ice cream, and it's fine for what it is - I even enjoyed being able to grab some ice cream almost whenever I wanted. But we were annoyed that anything... well, seemingly everything else was an upcharge. Premium ice cream? $. Gelato? $. Days-old cupcakes? $. And I don't like it where any adult activity is an upcharge - You're paying a premium for DCL and you can't have even a wine tasting included for free? I understand the spa services being fee-based, since they aren't owned and operated by Disney but by a third-party. But seemingly anything "adult"-related you had to pay for. We were beyond annoyed that we had to pay for popcorn and soda at the movie theater, particularly when you could get soda for free literally everywhere else on-board.

DCL has the worst desserts at sea of any of the major lines. Truly. And I complain every time on our surveys and even speak to people on the ships. Their answer is upcharge gelato locations. That isn't what I was looking for. Celebrity had 8-10 flavors free at their buffet when I cruised with them. Every Princess dessert made me want to lick the dishes. ... Disney does amazing desserts in its resort and theme park upscale locales. There is no excuse for this at sea.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think the tone should fall in line with Pirates or Mansion, which combine humor with adventure in an earnestly old-fashioned, Disney way. The Ravenscroft track includes the bad puns the ride is known for, but doesn't over-use them, and there is zero self-awareness, i.e., referencing the theme park as a theme park or modern pop culture or current events.

I think the tone of the Jungle Cruise is perfectly fine. It has been running like this for many decades. You don't need to change it at all. Way too many other things to pick than that nit.

Daveeeeed

DCL has the worst desserts at sea of any of the major lines. Truly. And I complain every time on our surveys and even speak to people on the ships. Their answer is upcharge gelato locations. That isn't what I was looking for. Celebrity had 8-10 flavors free at their buffet when I cruised with them. Every Princess dessert made me want to lick the dishes. ... Disney does amazing desserts in its resort and theme park upscale locales. There is no excuse for this at sea.
That's true, but rotational dining more than makes up for it. Not too fond of the steaks either, but the service, seafood, and of course the atmosphere are always on point. Not to mention soda being included is a plus.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney having double standards when it comes to Tokyo is nothing new. Expansion and building is the way Disney makes additional money off of Tokyo Disney Resort. So the idea of Disney encouraging a lull in building at Tokyo Disney Resort is a bit silly.

Especially considering how much Disney has tried to sell OLC on various major projects being built in the USA (Cars Land and Pandora immediately come to mind), I wholeheartedly agree on the double standards deal.

HMF

Especially considering how much Disney has tried to sell OLC on various major projects being built in the USA (Cars Land and Pandora immediately come to mind), I wholeheartedly agree on the double standards deal.
Maybe the OLC Executives actually have an appreciation for theme unlike stateside Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom