News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

CrescentLake

^this. So much of their nighttime show hinges on projections on the Chinese Theater. Any change to the facade would require re-programming of the protections. Any any lengthy return of the facade would result in a lengthy down-time of the nighttime show. I think the facade is at least safe until they have a new Fantasmic to send crowds to, and/or indefinitely.

That would truly make DHS a disaster. They are already closing another attraction (without opening anything in the interim to for capacity, so losing the nighttime show would seemingly decrease attendance/capacity further.

I love GMR but I am all for a trackless replacement (if done right), but I think its crazy that they're taking it offline while DHS is in such a state of disarray. It also seems terribly short sited. They need more additions to absorb the Star Wars crowds. Why not do something in Animation Courtyard, or Echo Lake? The crowds that flock to Star Wars are going to consume the park and it simply will not be able to handle it. Unless I am missing something.

rushtest4echo

I think part of the issue was that they couldn't loss the ride capacity because they already expected to close GMR for a replacement.

I hadn't considered that, but the overlay would have been completed before GMR is closed originally. If they're following DCA's timeframe (which at the beginning was the case supposedly), then Tower would already be closed and we'd be waiting only a few more months from now until it reopened. I'm positive that they wouldn't have done both at the same time, right?

So to be honest, that bad theory of "losing capacity" being the reason for our ToT not closing is largely irrelevant if they're going to close another ride with similar popularity/capacity right after Tower was supposed to reopen. After all, what's the pain in shuttering ToT for 6 months and dealing with the lack of capacity if you're doing that anyway for years at a time for another ride?

Last edited:

doctornick

Actually the theme has changed from 'how the movies are made' to 'live the movie adventure' for that purpose the stunt show serves no purpose. I would rather have them take the land footprint that was originally envisioned for Star Wars Land going into the car park and make that Indy land take the DLP original Indy mine cart attraction, stick Indy EMV, stick the Adventureland wall in Shanghai and create a water ride add a canteen. Done.

This. If they are willing to close an attraction in the short term to add something, instead of closing GMR they should close the stunt show and build multiple attractions in that area.

doctornick

That's fine. But it's a different argument than what most people try to make. Most people say "there's nothing to do at DHS." The honest argument would be "I don't enjoy the things there are to do at DHS."

There needs to be a certain baseline number of rides at any theme park to properly function and entertain guests. We could quibble over what the cutoff should be, but 4-5 is definitely far short. It doesn't matter how many shows, M&G, et al that a park has if the ride count is so low -- guests will be disappointed.

Personally, I'd put the minimum number for a park that is heavy in other attraction types (e.g. shows like DHS or animal exhibits like DAK) to be somewhere like 12-15 rides. It's pathetic how low the non-MK parks at WDW are in terms of rides.

CaptainAmerica

There needs to be a certain baseline number of rides at any theme park to properly function and entertain guests. We could quibble over what the cutoff should be, but 4-5 is definitely far short. It doesn't matter how many shows, M&G, et al that a park has if the ride count is so low -- guests will be disappointed.

Personally, I'd put the minimum number for a park that is heavy in other attraction types (e.g. shows like DHS or animal exhibits like DAK) to be somewhere like 12-15 rides. It's pathetic how low the non-MK parks at WDW are in terms of rides.
How many rides did Epcot have when it opened and was the greatest thing ever? Four?

I don't know, I feel like a theme park could have zero rides and still be a tremendous experience if the rest of the offerings are compelling. I'm not saying that's where DHS is, but I think it's theoretically possible.

Bocabear

How many rides did Epcot have when it opened and was the greatest thing ever? Four?

I don't know, I feel like a theme park could have zero rides and still be a tremendous experience if the rest of the offerings are compelling. I'm not saying that's where DHS is, but I think it's theoretically possible.
EPCOT opened with 6 until Horizons opened..then it was 7 until The Living Seas opened...then it was 8, then Norway 9 , and then Wonders of Life 10. A theme park does need rides, and EPCOT opened with more rides than DHS currently has...and if DHS loses TGMR they will be down to 4 rides... That is pretty darn sad.

EPCOTCenterLover

Perhaps only a few rides, but they were lengthy and E Ticket attractions, not 3 minute and you're out the door scenarios. And especially the FW pavilions were filled with other aspects, making each area at least an hour worth of exploration.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How many rides did Epcot have when it opened and was the greatest thing ever? Four.
Opening day?

Ride being defined as a moving transport? Five

Plus nine theatrical experience attractions. All comparable to a D or E.

Plus hours of interactive exhibit space - purely spending time in Communicore, Transcenter and the Imageworks could easily take half a day.

Plus a design and attention to detail unseen beforehand.

Did I say the opening rides were all of E quality? And varied from 8 to 42 minutes?

Or that another E opened 5 months later? Or another E 7 months after that?

But I'm sure you knew that.

wannabeBelle

Opening day?

Ride being defined as a moving transport? Five

Plus ten theatrical experience shows

Plus hours of interactive exhibit space

Plus a design and attention to detail unseen beforehand.

Did I say the opening rides were all of E quality? And varied from 8 to 42 minutes?

Or that another E opened 5 months later? Or another E 7 months after that?

But I'm sure you knew that.
Wow!!!! Marie

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's my point. DHS obviously needs more to be a full, robust experience. But the "more" doesn't have to be rides.
DHS needs "rides". It's always been heavy in the anything-but-ride category. It opened with two and peaked with 4 "rides" and 11 of the other kind.

Mind you, given the change of direction it seems that could be the chosen way forward.

clemmo

DHS needs "rides". It's always been heavy in the anything-but-ride category. It opened with two and peaked with 4 "rides" and 11 of the other kind.

Mind you, given the change of direction it seems that could be the chosen way forward.
I hate to ask you this since I know you get bombarded with questions but in terms of the direction of this park are their any plans beyond SWL and TSL? I understand you can't give specifics

rushtest4echo

Can we all just agree that Studios is about more than rides, and that entertainment/theater shows have always been easily as important for the park?
Can we all just agree that EPCOT is about more than rides, and that food/dining/entertainment/theater shows have always been easily as important for the park?
Can we all just agree that Animal Kingdom is about more than rides, and that animals/entertainment/theater shows have always been easily as important for the park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom