News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Kman101

I've done the online map research - The guest area of DHS is NOT 154 acres, more like 70 acres, give or take a couple. No amount of fanboi wishing or "official facts book" quoting will change that.

Attendance will jump. No one is saying otherwise. But, you are saying that two SW attractions and a Slinky coaster is going to translate to 10 MILLION MORE guests annually at DHS. Just wanted to clarify that, thanks.

I think there's probably a reason I have said poster on ignore ...

matt9112

True, but it was moved for more than one reason. American Idol needed to go. Premiere Theater is obviously no longer available. The new location is much better suited for the crowds, the show quality is better there too. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a solid contribution to the park and it's never had an empty seat in the dozens of times I've attended a showing (which is more than I can say about Indy or BatB despite them being superior offerings).

Frankly, I only attend to see the storytellers. One of my favorite guilty pleasures!

I agree except your never empty comment is a little skewed because I could argue what else are people going to do ahaha

RSoxNo1

To be fair, years back, there were plans for the work at DHS to be spread over five years. Operations balked and decided they would rather have the bulk of the work over 2-3 years and just wade through it. That's what we are seeing now and obviously they are using extra entertainment to help otherwise bored guests.

Really feel Mickey should've been a new build, though. I guess in their eyes, they get an extremely popular e ticket and remove an expensive relic all at once. Of course they are missing the opportunity to remodel the relic and build Mickey to get two popular e tickets from the work.

Too bad.
I suspect it's too early to tell, but is there any insight on how the capacity of The Great Mickey Ride (or whatever it will be called) will compare to The Great Movie Ride?

RSoxNo1

Yes, but honestly the money is now spreading property wide. The level of spending over the next five years is unprecedented. I don't come to WDW for one park. I come for four. And they will be in stellar shape by 2021.

My concern now turns to the 2020s. It would be unreasonable to expect growth to continue at this clip and it is reasonable to expect no major construction during what is shaping up to be a TRULY dazzling (no really, Disneyland) celebration. Let's hope they can end up at the arguably-appropriate pace of one new E-ticket every 12-18 months property-wide, smaller additions inbetween, and maintenance of a reasonable refurb schedule.

Disneyland has maintained that since 2005.
What Multiverse are you in where Disneyland has added an E-ticket ever 12-18 months?

Rodan75

I think we are forgetting that early in this thread, it was mentioned that this plan is coming about because GMR is getting poor survey results.

A refurb may improve those scores, if outdated AAs and movie references are the issue...but if the issue is patience...that money is wasted. I'm assuming that they did the reasearch that says this is a key change to make.

I can't imagine them skimping on a Mickey ride at the park's central icon. So this won't be a cheap overlay.

RSoxNo1

Assuming Martin's timeline is true, I'm willing to bet that part of the internal Disney conversations involved Pandora. After the summer crowds Disney is probably accepting that a significant amount of cannibalism will take place of DHS's attendance at the hands of DAK. In theory they'd prefer to not close the attraction in the summer when crowds are higher, but are willing to take the hit for the 9-12 months before Toy Story Land opens.

Just a theory, but I'm guessing that played into some of these timing decisions.

ToTBellHop

I think we are forgetting that early in this thread, it was mentioned that this plan is coming about because GMR is getting poor survey results.

A refurb may improve those scores, if outdated AAs and movie references are the issue...but if the issue is patience...that money is wasted. I'm assuming that they did the reasearch that says this is a key change to make.

I can't imagine them skimping on a Mickey ride at the park's central icon. So this won't be a cheap overlay.
It will not be cheap at all. To give an idea, Dr. Wikipedia, who never lies, says Rat cost $270,000,000. Now I'd imagine that includes more than just the ride, but Mickey is more elaborate than Rat. And SW Battle is even more elaborate than Mickey!

RSoxNo1

Added or substantially redeveloped? I admit it's not perfect, but they've had a pretty good decade.

2007 Nemo subs
2008 Toy Story Mania
2010 World of Color
2011 Star Tours and Ariel
2012 Cars Land
2015 60th additions
2016 Soarin
2017 Guardians

Then 2019 SWL
That's being quite liberal, but I see what you're saying. There was a period pre-Iger where Disney looked to truly add an E-ticket to WDW ever 3.5-4 years. Up until 2006 they did a pretty good job of meeting or exceeding that pace.

The aggressive building schedule coming up in the next 4 years is unprecedented outside of building a new park being built. The closest timelines I can come up with would be 1989-1992 and 1997-1999.

ToTBellHop

That's being quite liberal, but I see what you're saying. There was a period pre-Iger where Disney looked to truly add an E-ticket to WDW ever 3.5-4 years. Up until 2006 they did a pretty good job of meeting or exceeding that pace.

The aggressive building schedule coming up in the next 4 years is unprecedented outside of building a new park being built. The closest timelines I can come up with would be 1989-1992 and 1997-1999.
I know I'm being liberal. They still added more to two parks than WDW added to four.

On the other hand, it seems we have four E-tickets opening in 2019. That's totes cray.

They better watch it or 2021 will feel like an afterthought.

How heavily can you REALLY market rides that opened two years prior? I'm sure they'll try...

Kman101

I know I'm being liberal. They still added more to two parks than WDW added to four.

On the other hand, it seems we have four E-tickets opening in 2019. That's totes cray.

How heavily can you REALLY market rides that opened two years prior? I'm sure they'll try...

Yes, it's finally time for WDW to get the attention. LONG overdue though. But it's still great that they're all coming. But we could also debate that at this point they really have no choice.

There's plenty for them to still do by 2021. Plenty. If they choose to do any of it.

clemmo

Hopefully it's not an after thought and MK gets its first new e ticket in the 21st century that year. Won't be 4 e tickets but still would be nice for MK to finally get some love including lots of big time refurbs as well.

rushtest4echo

I agree except your never empty comment is a little skewed because I could argue what else are people going to do ahaha

Go see Indy or BatB instead- that's why I compared it to those shows! Much better shows that are still worth seeing especially if you're not a local that's there every week like some of us. :)

But I digress, you're totally right about the options being quite limited. Still, people tend to think that DHS needs more rides and while I'd like to see more rides, a park that can pull in 10 million visitors (don't care about bait & switch, first clicks, long lines, discounted tickets or any other means they achieve this), adding two entirely new lands with 4 rides is going to help the place out a lot. Is it ideal? No, nothing ever is. EPCOT wasn't "idea" when it opened because WS had a pitiful assortment of attractions in the eyes of a lot of people- that issue remains today. But like WS, Studios has stuff that attracts people beyond rides. They are currently the only WDW park with two evening spectaculars. They're the only WDW park with a full assortment of stage shows. Is that a complete daily offering? Not right now obviously, but the additions will go a long way toward making it a full day park. Between 3-4 hours of watching shows, 2-3 hours of queuing/riding rides, a hour for dining and an hour or two for the night time spectaculars, there's easily 7-8 hours of stuff to do at the Studios right now and the additions will push that closer to 10 hours. That's going enough for most people if they take in all of the offerings that the park has (not that repeat/locals will, but that's an issue everywhere).

rushtest4echo

I should have fit Mania into that to pay homage to the ride's origins at DCA. Still lamenting the loss of that attraction concept in favor of more Toy Story shooters in the parks.

There are currently 9 Toy Story shooters in the parks! And I constantly hear people clamoring for Midway Mania at Paris, Hong Kong and Shanghai with the strong possibility that at least one, if not all, of those resorts eventually receive them. :mad::(:oops::rolleyes::arghh::bawling::banghead::cry::depressed::devilish::facepalm::grumpy::hungover::in pain:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom