News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Capsin4

CWA has a "safari" option for its Omega IV cabins, which are the standard cabins on any Doppelmayr gondola. The Oakland Zoo is the launch customer for North America. Options are one side open or all three as well as removable plexi covers for rainy days.

sfok_p2_a1b.jpg
_WF50071.jpg
Not sure how useful this would be in FL summers that can have a relatively small window of heavy storms everyday.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just highly doubt they will have a cutting edge new transport system that is not air conditioned. Sure they may have priced different options because the board would expect that but that does not mean it was seriously considered. Plus consider who stirred this most recent pot of controversy. He has a bad habit of that. Just saying.

Time will tell on the AC vs no AC. I know what I believe.

Just quoting for posterity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure adding some form of climate control is both costly and adds significant weight to the cabins, but it is a necessity.
If they really wanted to save money they would just keep the busses:confused: I think it's more about the logistics of charging a battery to run the AC that is the real problem not the cost. These gondolas are rumored to be a single cable system so I don't believe they have a connection to an actual power source. In order to provide AC they would need to use either batteries or solar panels or some combination of the 2. With batteries they can recharge in the stations and battery techology is constantly improving so I would think it would probably be logistically possible but it could mean more down time and higher maintenance cost. I guess a fan would still need to be powered, but probably takes a lot less power than AC. The question is what happens if the battery is drained or fails? If the cabanas are completely closed that gondola would be unusable. With a fan and open air system you are less likely to have units out of service.

I would prefer if the gondolas had AC. On a hot summer day even a nice air conditioned bus is a welcome ride for me. Without AC they would,need to make sure the air flow is very strong to keep people comfortable.

JoeCamel

I will never understand why so many here consider it okay to denigrate Disney cast members doing there jobs. Would you like someone coming on an internet board trashing how you do your job? This is far the first time it's happened and I just do not understand why some consider it appropriate.
I was a "mechanic" for many years. I know my worth and see the industry vilified (second behind lawyers). Like a duck you let it roll and move on, you are too concerned with protecting employees (Not CMs) that you have never met and only endow with qualities imagined not realized. The bean counters do not care about Walt's legacy only about their job.

TiggerDad

There was a permit filed by PCL Construction Services today for: "ITJ UTILITY RELOCATION & PREP" at the following addresses which seem to correspond to the 6 gondola structure which I have included in italics. I am still trying to figure out what "ITJ" stands for.

could it be a non-public designation for the project, like Internal Transportation Job?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

WDW1974

Just heard from another person with some knowledge of the project and her response when asked about the whole AC issue was ''absolutely not, unless it's changed recently" ... no, I don't know what recent would be, but I assumed weeks, maybe a month or two.

The original source, FYI, has been feeding me info for many years now (often things that I break here ) and has never been wrong about anything. 100% track record.

So while things change, I feel safe in saying this thing is going to built open air (no, this doesn't mean like the old Skyway ... it just means openings for ventilation so as to not kill Guests of heatstroke).

WDW1974

The parking garages don't need moving walk ways they aren't that big . Anyway that's what feet are for. Why do.so many people complaint about walking a few hundred metres at Disney whether it's in a resort or a parking garage. There aren't any moving walkways on the surface lots so why add them to garages...

Any way back to the main topic...
Air conditioning is really a must if they are going to be enclosed. It's bad enough on the friendship boats. If the gondolas are going to be open then Disney runs the risk of people throwing things from them....or even trying to jump from them.

Talking about the Anaheim garages and I absolutely disagree. They do need them. The execs just don't give a because they'll never park in there ... ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

WDW1974

but it's Florida, and it rains all the time... Any open sides would mean wet seats and wet cars... They will have to use AC to make this system work... If it were California like Mickey's Fun Wheel, it might not be as big an issue, but in hot humid steamy rains-a-lot Florida, you need AC.

You need it. But just because you need it in no way means they're going to provide it. Again, no exec is EVER going to ride this beyond a pre-opening deal (likely Danny Cockerell who should be Prez by the time this opens, maybe Chappie if he is still there too!)

WDW1974

Some of you play along with getting trolled I would assume or you are stuck in some spirited ground hog day nightmare. In either case it isn't pretty.

I just highly doubt they will have a cutting edge new transport system that is not air conditioned. Sure they may have priced different options because the board would expect that but that does not mean it was seriously considered. Plus consider who stirred this most recent pot of controversy. He has a bad habit of that. Just saying.

Time will tell on the AC vs no AC. I know what I believe.

Oh, Frank. Still alive and still playing. Does the RV you live in have AC? Cutting edge?!??!?!?:rolleyes::D;)
You are one funny little character.

The only bad habit I have is hanging out here spreading knowledge, wisdom and Spirited barbs. But you know what's going on for someone who hasn't been to WDW this decade. And you have called so many things right like Hyperion Wharf and Flamingo Crossing and New Fantasyland all being financial and creative triumphs for the Sheriff. Your shtick was tired here about 2009. Just saying ...

WDW1974

I will never understand why so many here consider it okay to denigrate Disney cast members doing there jobs. Would you like someone coming on an internet board trashing how you do your job? This is far the first time it's happened and I just do not understand why some consider it appropriate.

Oh please, the world is going to hell and I am not even talking about the World. I'd find something better to be offended over in your limited time on the planet.

WDW1974

Every gondola in the world with the exception of one has no air conditioning. Only 36 gondolas cabins have ever been built with A/C. Not 36 systems but one system with 36 cabins. If Disney does go with air conditioning, it will be only the second such system in the world and by far the largest.
http://www.cwa.ch/en/newsdetail---0--0--0--1--28.html

Fascinating. And something I never knew! Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom