News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Rteetz

Do we have any inside knowledge on whether these gondolas will have AC?

I ask because a very good source has stated the original plan was open air, much like the cages on Mickey's Funwheel at DCA. I can't imagine how hot, wretched and miserable riding these things would be ... but this is the company too cheap to put moving walkways in its garages.
That would not be good if they didn't. Based on other gondolas we have seen they have all been enclosed. Having them open seems like a major issue especially for the Florida weather. I just can't seem them being open air.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I found this here not sure if its true just passing it along

Update 3/9/17: Disney World has filed permits with the South Florida Water Management District for a new overlook located on Hourglass Lake between Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Art of Animation Resort. The permits call for a 10,000 square foot building near the bridge that connects the two resorts, and a new boat ramp located at the north end of the lake.

The location of the overlook matches up perfectly with one of the rumored locations of one of the gondola stations, which can be seen in our image below. Also, if the theme park resort was going to build a gondola station, it would make perfect sense to build it between these two resorts for easy access.

Could this new building be the beginning of the rumored gondola system? No one knows for sure. We will have to wait and see once it starts construction.

Update 3:04PM: Shortly after publishing, a source familiar with the matter reached out to confirm that a gondola system is indeed coming to Walt Disney World. However, some of the details previously published, including the map circulating, is not entirely accurate. We have updated this article and the map with the latest information from the anonymous tipster.

An interesting new rumor has popped up that could be the next big mode of transportation for Walt Disney World. The resort currently hosts a variety of options to get from one point to another within the resort, such as the monorail, boat, and bus, but this new rumor suggests that Walt Disney World could be looking into building a gondola system that would connect Epcot (blue) and Disney’s Hollywood Studios (red), , along with a few of the surrounding resorts.

2017-02-15_1513.png
Gondola-Station.jpg

The information in the permits do not support that map.

biggy H

Do we have any inside knowledge on whether these gondolas will have AC?

I ask because a very good source has stated the original plan was open air, much like the cages on Mickey's Funwheel at DCA. I can't imagine how hot, wretched and miserable riding these things would be ... but this is the company too cheap to put moving walkways in its garages.

The parking garages don't need moving walk ways they aren't that big . Anyway that's what feet are for. Why do.so many people complaint about walking a few hundred metres at Disney whether it's in a resort or a parking garage. There aren't any moving walkways on the surface lots so why add them to garages...

Any way back to the main topic...
Air conditioning is really a must if they are going to be enclosed. It's bad enough on the friendship boats. If the gondolas are going to be open then Disney runs the risk of people throwing things from them....or even trying to jump from them.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Kids in the stroller crying and tired from a long day at the parks. 30 ft in the air with tiny windows packed in like sardines no breeze in the middle of July with a Dew Point of 79 right after a nice little afternoon storm. Sounds delightful.
Again, I don't know if this was the final decision and I know alternatives were being looked at also.

TiggerDad

The parking garages don't need moving walk ways they aren't that big . Anyway that's what feet are for. Why do.so many people complaint about walking a few hundred metres at Disney whether it's in a resort or a parking garage. There aren't any moving walkways on the surface lots so why add them to garages...

Any way back to the main topic...
Air conditioning is really a must if they are going to be enclosed. It's bad enough on the friendship boats. If the gondolas are going to be open then Disney runs the risk of people throwing things from them....or even trying to jump from them.
He was referring to the new garages being planned for the East entrance of Disneyland. They will be behind the hotels over there, with a really long walkway and bridge.

I suspect that they have looked at the fairly short time it will take between stations and decided no need for a/c but it will get unpleasant quickly if the system ever stops mid route.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Again, I don't know if this was the final decision and I know alternatives were being looked at also.
Will all the cars/gondolas be different colors (like the monorails)?
Will the voice announcement say, "Please Stand Clear of the Doors" in English, Spanish and Portuguese?
Are they going to have big, red "Please Don't Rock the Gondola" signs in them? If not, will they have airsick bags in them?

truecoat

I'm sure no one would be able to fit through any window space on these gondolas. As far as throwing stuff out, it appears most of the time it would just end up in no mans land.

Jon81uk

If moving at a reasonable speed then no AC but open sides might be OK, but closed windows and no AC would be awful.

I think its similar to the resort boats, to get to/from Wilderness Lodge we had both a small open sided boat or a larger boat with fully covered sides. One was nice and comfortable with a breeze whereas with the closed in sided boat was awful, there was no breeze and no AC. I know the gondolas won't be as fast as a boat, but with a good amount of open sides (like Mickeys not-so-fun wheel or the old Skyway) it could work.

MCast

I truly can't foresee Disney allowing this type of system to have open windows. Too many risks. Therefore, AC would be a necessity.

Bocabear

If moving at a reasonable speed then no AC but open sides might be OK, but closed windows and no AC would be awful.

I think its similar to the resort boats, to get to/from Wilderness Lodge we had both a small open sided boat or a larger boat with fully covered sides. One was nice and comfortable with a breeze whereas with the closed in sided boat was awful, there was no breeze and no AC. I know the gondolas won't be as fast as a boat, but with a good amount of open sides (like Mickeys not-so-fun wheel or the old Skyway) it could work.
but it's Florida, and it rains all the time... Any open sides would mean wet seats and wet cars... They will have to use AC to make this system work... If it were California like Mickey's Fun Wheel, it might not be as big an issue, but in hot humid steamy rains-a-lot Florida, you need AC.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a permit filed by PCL Construction Services today for: "ITJ UTILITY RELOCATION & PREP" at the following addresses which seem to correspond to the 6 gondola structure which I have included in italics. I am still trying to figure out what "ITJ" stands for.

1874 Avenue of the Stars - International Gateway Station
251 E Buena Vista Dr - Boardwalk parking lot turn station
785 Studio Dr - DHS Station
1910 Animation Way - AOA/Pop station
1051 Sea Breeze - CBR Station 1
1074 Sea Breeze - CBR Station 2

[Edit] To be clear, the description are NOT from the permit, only the addresses.

Last edited:

Bocabear

CWA has a "safari" option for its Omega IV cabins, which are the standard cabins on any Doppelmayr gondola. The Oakland Zoo is the launch customer for North America. Options are one side open or all three as well as removable plexi covers for rainy days.

sfok_p2_a1b.jpg
_WF50071.jpg
That is great for Oakland...but the climate in California and Florida are drastically different... Covers for rainy days would be a gigantic problem with not only storage, but the fact that in Florida storms can pop up every day at almost any time.
Whatever system they use will have to be configured for the environment at the least amount of maintenance (like putting plexi covers on for rainy days)... AC would be the best option....and I feel sure the gondolas that this system will use will be larger cabins..for larger loads...

Lift Blog

and I feel sure the gondolas that this system will use will be larger cabins..for larger loads...

Remember larger cabins don't necessarily get you any more capacity as they take longer to load and must be spaced further apart. 10-person cabins are a great medium and happen to be the perfect size for large families or a couple smaller groups. 10-passenger and 30-passenger gondola systems both top out around 4,000 pphpd, one at much lower cost.

The largest possible cabin size on a monocable system is 15.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
but it's Florida, and it rains all the time... Any open sides would mean wet seats and wet cars... They will have to use AC to make this system work... If it were California like Mickey's Fun Wheel, it might not be as big an issue, but in hot humid steamy rains-a-lot Florida, you need AC.

Don't read 'open' to mean... big hole in the side. Open means 'free flowing'. You can have louvered panels, slats, and other designs that allow for visibility and airflow.. but do not have huge holes children can crawl out of, arms extend out of, or leave you totally exposed to the elements.

Disney's first concern with any opening would be the ability to stick parts of your body out.. so start with concepts with holes smaller than that :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
There was a permit filed by PCL Construction Services today for: "ITJ UTILITY RELOCATION & PREP" at the following addresses which seem to correspond to the 6 gondola structure which I have included in italics. I am still trying to figure out what "ITJ" stands for.

1874 Avenue of the Stars - International Gateway Station
251 E Buena Vista Dr - Boardwalk parking lot turn station
785 Studio Dr - DHS Station
1910 Animation Way - AOA/Pop station
1051 Sea Breeze - CBR Station 1
1074 Sea Breeze - CBR Station 2

'internal transfer junction' ?
'inter-something transfer junction'
(just spitballin..)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom