News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Simple engineering answer -- put a liquid nitrogen tank on the roof and fill it as necessary. Vent into the cabin through baffles and plenums to mix with ambient air, which will then sink into the cabin.

A LN2 dewar is HEAVY and fragile a real negative on a gondola while LN2 is easy to produce with a stirling engine it's a cold liquid which is hazardous to handle by the untrained.

The classic safety demo in most labs is to dip a hot dog in the LN2 and drop the frozen hot dog which shatters upon impact.

Small spills also cause burns just like hot liquid does

Solar/Battery powered fans in addition to passive venting are probably the best option as if you get enough airflow evaporative cooling will make people comfortable for duration of ride and constant airflow will allieviate odor problems as well.

Now if the cabins have lighting fans could also be powered on the lighting circuit

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was a "mechanic" for many years. I know my worth and see the industry vilified (second behind lawyers). Like a duck you let it roll and move on, you are too concerned with protecting employees (Not CMs) that you have never met and only endow with qualities imagined not realized. The bean counters do not care about Walt's legacy only about their job.

It's not the mechanics who are the problem it's the service writers putting $RANDOM_NONEXISTANT_PARTORSERVICE and charging 2-3 labor for it

Or for a bad plug or degraded vacuum line saying engine is blown need a new one for 5-8000 bucks...

BrianLo

I don't think AC is actually necessary if properly designed. The Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong) cable cars are arguably in a worse climate than Florida. I've been on those 4/5 times I think and have no memory of being uncomfortable. Once was also in the pouring rain with no issue. I come from a cold climate at that.

Hong Kong is the worst, but I also don't recall any of the cable cars I've been on in the summer being overbearing either. Whether that be Tokyo, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Tenerife/Madeira or a grab bag of South America.

Ironically the warmest I've been is when the things are sealed up in -20 Celsius in ski gear.

Anecdotes... but at least it's a reasonable sample size.

Last edited:

Skyman1971

I've ridden the London gondola which does have an AC system on a particular hot day, and I can say I did not notice much difference, but it was a 5 minute ride with a great view so it was not a issue for me. Probably because of the doors opening all the time does not allow the air to cool down very fast with the limited power they have. Pretty much every gondola I have ridden skiing has safe, vent windows that actually bring a pretty decent amount of air in with the movement of the cabin, in fact I often close them, cause it's too much. Also every one of the 20 or I have ridden have tinted windows which help. Now I know...none of these locations are Florida, I get it, but maybe they didn't see to many gains with the current technology to make it worth adding? I've ridden in several heated cabins while skiing and none of those felt warm, they just barely took the edge off. I'm excited to see what they deliver, and I think if there is a serious problem they will try to address it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've ridden the London gondola which does have an AC system on a particular hot day, and I can say I did not notice much difference, but it was a 5 minute ride with a great view so it was not a issue for me. Probably because of the doors opening all the time does not allow the air to cool down very fast with the limited power they have. Pretty much every gondola I have ridden skiing has safe, vent windows that actually bring a pretty decent amount of air in with the movement of the cabin, in fact I often close them, cause it's too much. Also every one of the 20 or I have ridden have tinted windows which help. Now I know...none of these locations are Florida, I get it, but maybe they didn't see to many gains with the current technology to make it worth adding? I've ridden in several heated cabins while skiing and none of those felt warm, they just barely took the edge off. I'm excited to see what they deliver, and I think if there is a serious problem they will try to address it.

Are you sure London has AC? @Lift Blog said that there is only one gondola system in the work with AC, and that one is in Macau.

lightguy

You know, I assumed they would need AC and would build something with AC, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's really a non-issue. I do agree that if they really thought it would be an issue they'd figure out a solution. But given the short travel times and appropriately designed venting it really shouldn't be an issue. Here's what you have to remember about the airflow- this isn't a chairlift ride. This is going to be moving at 12-15 MPH. That may not sound fast, but it's several times faster than a normal chairlift, faster than a friendship boat and faster than most of us can probably run. So if designed correctly, there will be lots of air flow- as long as it keeps moving.

Skyman1971

Skyman1971

Thanks for the source, so this does confirm it. Any idea how common AC is in these systems?
I honestly thought that was the only one out there, but lift blog mentioned the other one. I think like cabin heating, it must be a mixed bag as to how well it works. I'm not sure there's enough power there to truly make a huge difference with the ultracapacitors, but who knows, maybe they are getting better. We shall see...

Captain Barbossa

My question is why are they adding a new form of transportation to the two least visited parks? EPCOT has the monorail, buses, and boats. DHS has buses and boats. If they were to add a new form of transportation, it would make since to run it to AK. AK is the second most visited park (hard to believe right?) and with pandora opening in a couple months, it's gonna have larger crowds. Throw in RoL and staying open late in the upcoming months too. I mean a skytram sounds cool but if they add a new form of transportation, it shouldn't go in the EPCOT/DHS area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My question is why are they adding a new form of transportation to the two least visited parks? EPCOT has the monorail, buses, and boats. DHS has buses and boats. If they were to add a new form of transportation, it would make since to run it to AK. AK is the second most visited park (hard to believe right?) and with pandora opening in a couple months, it's gonna have larger crowds. Throw in RoL and staying open late in the upcoming months too. I mean a skytram sounds cool but if they add a new form of transportation, it shouldn't go in the EPCOT/DHS area.
Anticipated increase in DHS attendance, ability to charge more at the linked resorts, removal of a lot of busses from the BVD corridor. This layout also allows potential interchanges with possible future development.

Ability to charge more at the linked resorts.

Compared to DHS and the surrounding roads in particular, DAK is a dream to transport to and from. This is one step in reducing the traffic snarl up of the Epcot resort area. And improves on the proposed canal link from CBR to Epcot in so many ways.

NobodyElse

Are you sure London has AC? @Lift Blog said that there is only one gondola system in the work with AC, and that one is in Macau.

I think that Lift Blog (who is a connoisseur of such things) differentiates between gondolas, cable cars, tramways, etc. I imagine it's terminology that accounts for the differences in "air conditioning stats".

Lift Blog

I think that Lift Blog (who is a connoisseur of such things) differentiates between gondolas, cable cars, tramways, etc. I imagine it's terminology that accounts for the differences in "air conditioning stats".
Both are monocable gondolas built by Doppelmayr. The London system has a very low output compared with Macau. My understanding is the technology tried on the Emirates Air Line didn't work very well and the newer version at Wynn Palace is completely different and considered to be the first and only gondola with real air conditioning.

Last edited:

jt04

Oh, Frank. Still alive and still playing. Does the RV you live in have AC? Cutting edge?!??!?!?:rolleyes::D;)
You are one funny little character.

The only bad habit I have is hanging out here spreading knowledge, wisdom and Spirited barbs. But you know what's going on for someone who hasn't been to WDW this decade. And you have called so many things right like Hyperion Wharf and Flamingo Crossing and New Fantasyland all being financial and creative triumphs for the Sheriff. Your shtick was tired here about 2009. Just saying ...

I was talking about such transportation systems for WDW on these boards as early as 2007. That was while you were still bringing laughingplace's boards to irrelevancy. Fortunately this magical place is too robust for such shenanigans.

And I think the FLE, and DTD 2.0 have more than proven themselves. And remember, those are just appetizers. The main courses will be served next. Before 2020 I might add. Your source was wrong about that too.

Cesar R M

The parking garages don't need moving walk ways they aren't that big . Anyway that's what feet are for. Why do.so many people complaint about walking a few hundred metres at Disney whether it's in a resort or a parking garage. There aren't any moving walkways on the surface lots so why add them to garages...

Any way back to the main topic...
Air conditioning is really a must if they are going to be enclosed. It's bad enough on the friendship boats. If the gondolas are going to be open then Disney runs the risk of people throwing things from them....or even trying to jump from them.
unless they put a very strong mesh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom