A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Also- Iger's method of firing seems to be, 'You're out, but why don't you stick around to consult and advise.' Maintain appearances. As to your thin-skinned comment, yes it wreaks of a power play that is rooted in insecurity, and organizational dysfunction.

Igers method is quite brilliant actually as it removes their influence within TWDC yet it prevents them from going to a competitor

lazyboy97o

Right, how many 'high profile' imagineers do they have now, since Baxter is gone? (Kind of a real question because I don't really know). They were trotting out some of the classics (eg Ryman and Blair) at Epcot Intl Art Festival...I might be (way) off-base, but I find it odd that they promote 'Disney artists' while it seems like they want their current imagineers to only be seen as part of the Disney brand. They need Rohde to promote Pandora and sell DL GotG Tower to the fans, as he may be the only one with influence. Just a theory.
Weis is still there, and in charge...

SorcererMC

Weis is still there, and in charge...
I shouldn't post before the coffee kicks in. Your response prompted me to look it up - and I haven't seen this site before. They also have a new fact sheet for WDI, so just sharing for those who may be interested.
https://aboutdisneyparks.com/news/fact-sheets

ETA: Not a single imagineer name to be found, even while referencing the original Disneyland sketch. I understand why they do that, for business/marketing reasons...but at the same time there is not really a face of the company that resonates with consumers IMO, a departure from the past. And could become a problem for a company that is generations from its founder.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I shouldn't post before the coffee kicks in. Your response prompted me to look it up - and I haven't seen this site before. They also have a new fact sheet for WDI, so just sharing for those who may be interested.
https://aboutdisneyparks.com/news/fact-sheets

ETA: Not a single imagineer name to be found, even while referencing the original Disneyland sketch. I understand why they do that, for business/marketing reasons...but at the same time there is not really a face of the company that resonates with consumers IMO, a departure from the past. And could become a problem for a company that is generations from its founder.
"One name on the door" goes back decades.

RSoxNo1

Right, how many 'high profile' imagineers do they have now, since Baxter is gone? (Kind of a real question because I don't really know). They were trotting out some of the classics (eg Ryman and Blair) at Epcot Intl Art Festival...I might be (way) off-base, but I find it odd that they promote 'Disney artists' while it seems like they want their current imagineers to only be seen as part of the Disney brand. They need Rohde to promote Pandora and sell DL GotG Tower to the fans, as he may be the only one with influence. Just a theory.
The heads are still prominent: Kathy Mangum, Tom Fitzgerald, Scott Trowbridge, Eric Jacobson, Jay Lanzisero.

SorcererMC

The credit stuff really only comes from the books etc. yes Disney has always brought out its talent to explain things... but promote and credit? That's more for the books and fan engagement stuff.

On the promotion part I meant the ones that are designated as Disney artists/painters but not WDI (AFAIK). Meaning - they are creating awareness of artists, but not their imagineers/ own talent. It's interesting.

ETA: I also consider 'fan engagement' a form of marketing, because they are representatives of the company, and therefore the brand. That's fine if you don't. Rohde is regularly mentioned in the news for Pandora.

ETA2: The WDFM has had some interesting exhibits spotlighting former Disney talent though - and just announced one for Andreas Deja.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

The heads are still prominent: Kathy Mangum, Tom Fitzgerald, Scott Trowbridge, Eric Jacobson, Jay Lanzisero.

Thank you. I could not remember Kathy's last name so didn't mention, and I was trying to think of some who might have name recognition or visibility with the general fans, and I blanked.

Last edited:

Jedi-Joe

Both. I guess you could also take Le Shuttle and drive too.

The Channel Tunnel only links London and the South East directly. Further north it is probably easier to fly (or go to Florida instead)
One of my trips to WDW about 7 years ago, while on the Bus back to resort, there was a British couple riding and they had mentioned that it was far cheaper for them to fly to Orlando to visit Disney over going to DLP.

djlaosc

One of my trips to WDW about 7 years ago, while on the Bus back to resort, there was a British couple riding and they had mentioned that it was far cheaper for them to fly to Orlando to visit Disney over going to DLP.

Cheapest way to get to DLP from the North of the UK is via bus, but last time we did that (2015), it was 13 hours one way and 16 hours the other (I can't remember which way was which), by which time I could drive to the airport, do the mandatory waiting period before the flight, fly to Orlando, get through the airport, hop on the Magical Express and arrive at my hotel before I could leave my house and get the bus to DLP.

Obviously the Dollar and the Euro are now a lot closer in exchange rate than they were 7 years ago, and a Orlando holiday is more expensive overall than a DLP holiday, but with the deals that we can get for Orlando ($200 gift card, free dining, cheaper tickets, etc.), it can quite possibly work out cheaper on an overall cost/day to go to Orlando than DLP (Orlando Total Cost/21 days compared to DLP Total Cost/3 days).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom