A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

BrianLo

He had to leave quickly though so I couldn't say much beyond, "great job."

This isn't about Kong, it's about Woodbury.

The people who did a great job were the Warner Bros set designers for the Potter franchise. Left to their own devices UC, under Woodbury, delivered the Gringotts ride experience.

I think @the.dreamfinder 's analogy is spot on. Woodbury is NOT Tony Baxter, he's Bruce Vaughn ascending the ranks.

I know Spirit has spoken out against him many times as well.

Animaniac93-98

I can totally see families choosing to bring their own sandwiches because of fast food pricing, who would have spent money on food if it had been slightly cheaper.

The McDonald's in Disney Village is always packed, even if there is plenty of space inside the parks for guests to eat there. Lowering counter service food prices would go a long way in encouraging guest spending.

Animaniac93-98

At this point it's matter of cost benefit. Disney is going to need to spend Billions. Not just on WDS, but also on Disneyland Paris too. It too needs to expand a roster stuck in the 1990s.

Project sparkle is only scratching the surface of what needs to be done, and they already spent a billion dollars.

True, but how much money has and will be spent on Disney Springs, Avatar, Toy Story, Fantasyland and Star Wars in Florida? Both resorts have suffered from the same stagnation over the last ten years, with DLP hurting even more for the lack of refurbishments (both hotel and park related). They both need the same kind of approach going forward, but they do demonstrate how tyring to cut spending in the short term will only hurt you in the long run, because at some point you will have to reinvest in your product.

Mike S

This isn't about Kong, it's about Woodbury.

The people who did a great job were the Warner Bros set designers for the Potter franchise. Left to their own devices UC, under Woodbury, delivered the Gringotts ride experience.

I think @the.dreamfinder 's analogy is spot on. Woodbury is NOT Tony Baxter, he's Bruce Vaughn ascending the ranks.

I know Spirit has spoken out against him many times as well.
I wasn't making it about Kong. I was replying to two different posts with different topics.

But then again I see that as a great example, probably the best, of what UC can do on their own without Warner Bros.

the.dreamfinder

True, but how much money has and will be spent on Disney Springs, Avatar, Toy Story, Fantasyland and Star Wars in Florida? Both resorts have suffered from the same stagnation over the last ten years, with DLP hurting even more for the lack of refurbishments (both hotel and park related). They both need the same kind of approach going forward, but they do demonstrate how tyring to cut spending in the short term will only hurt you in the long run, because at some point you will have to reinvest in your product.
If they stopped buybacks for like 3-4 years, they would have enough money to address all the deficits at WDW, DLP and to a lesser extent DLR with extra cash for Hong Kong and Shanghai.

WDWBear84

Posted in the movie forum, but didn't get much response, is Disney and Amazon having issues? Dr. Strange, Rogue One, Moana, even Queen of Katwe are not available from Amazon for preorder. Searching around the new Pinocchio wasn't available for preorder either, so whats the deal?

the.dreamfinder

Posted in the movie forum, but didn't get much response, is Disney and Amazon having issues? Dr. Strange, Rogue One, Moana, even Queen of Katwe are not available from Amazon for preorder. Searching around the new Pinocchio wasn't available for preorder either, so whats the deal?
Amazon and the movie studios get into spats from time to time. Amazon makes the preorders unavailable to hurt the studio's home entertainment sales numbers and bring them back to the table.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...bros-blu-rays-dvds-in-latest-contract-dispute
https://www.variety.com/2014/digita...deo-near-settlement-of-dvd-dispute-1201224309

WDWBear84

DDLand

Facts most employees get gruntled by their bosses and say how they could do better than their bosses until they get to that level and become the bosses before them. Need more than oh one person says its bad. His track record hasn't been quite accurate as well for Universal in comparison to others in the know which makes me think he has a certain vendetta/agenda.
I think it's a little unfair to just completely write off his experience. Your post made me recall a compiling that he made, and with a quick search I found it.

For his not "quite accurate" track record:
I've always been, in my humble opinion, fair and balanced when it comes to posting regarding the inner workings of both Universal Creative and WDI. They both have their faults as well as their strengths.

I took a look at the posts from Orlando United and it seems I have obviously struck a nerve. The first thing I can say in response to the criticisms is that everything I post comes directly from either first-hand experience if there are enough other souls on that particular project and I don't have to worry about getting myself or others in trouble, or I reveal something on this board through another poster if I feel like the information is known by too few and it could be traced back to me.

There was a post on Orlando United that went through some of my posting history proving how accurate it is most of the time. I appreciate the time this person took to research those posts and here are a few others:

While everyone else was saying that the murder she wrote soundstage was turning into a haunted attraction I revealed that transformers was coming.

Nintendo was an example of information I did not feel comfortable sharing before the announcement because of the limited number of people involved at the time. The announcement came way before UNIVERSAL wanted to reveal it however they were getting pressure from Nintendo due to the announcement of other projects at the time and they didn't want to be left out.

There were too many items to talk about regarding Diagon Alley but A cursory glance at previous posts will prove the point. There are a few "insiders" on these boards that can verify these things.

I'm not sure where the criticism for my comments on 340 are coming from but everything I have said is 100% accurate. Show scenes were cut at the last minute and the few scenes that remain in some cases were reduced in scope. The main AA looks amazing and it should be a decent ride even though it will be a little short for my taste. The one thing it has going for it is Mike West. Mike is a great guy and a worthy producer, one of the few real talents at Creative.

Yes I bring up budget cuts often. I report them as they happen and things are extremely fluid from day to day with these projects. I don't have a problem with budget cuts in general as they are a necessary evil sometimes but what I do have a problem with is how often the reason for them is ineptitude when it comes to Universal Creative. I have gone into detail in other posts regarding this subject so I'll leave it at that for now.

I've seen all sorts of people with connections (including the poster above) rip into Disney. For a one sided guy, he sure had some criticisms for Shanghai Disney. There can be a world where both Imagineering and Universal Creative have their issues.

Those things simply aren't mutually exclusive.

Edit: Also this anecdote is interesting at the very least:
He [Woodbury] certainly is no dummy. When they first offered him the job and he turned it down because he hated theme parks he quickly changed his mind when they told him what the salary would be. Unfortunately he still hates theme parks and doesn't understand what they are.

BrerJon

The McDonald's in Disney Village is always packed, even if there is plenty of space inside the parks for guests to eat there. Lowering counter service food prices would go a long way in encouraging guest spending.

Although oddly Earl of Sandwich, probably the cheapest place to eat after McDonalds, is always near empty - presumably people think 'but I want a meal, not a sandwich!'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The communications in the Miklin case were made on bulletin boards and social media by both the employer and employees; there are limits as to the extent that an employer can restrict those communications. One implication of this case is that the NLRB may challenge an employer’s policies and practices even where workers are not unionized - an expansion of their authority. No boasting necessary.

Reference your first quote on the two criteria.
1. Is this connected to a labor dispute? Unknown. (hence my prior use of the word - hypothetically)
2. Was the communication so disloyal, reckless, or maliciously untrue? No. a) Praising a museum's animatronic is not in and of itself a slight to Disney quality. b) He is not making false claims. The Yeti does not 'work perfectly well'. c) disloyal? No specific reference to Disney in Rohde's comment.

ETA: Honestly I don't think anyone else here cares about this, can we move on?

We will care when the thin skinned Iger fires Joe who is the last 'real' Imagineer left at Disney.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As they related to a labor dispute and fell under both organized labor and concerted activity - THAT is what the case was about... and does not change the scope of the NLA.

When it comes to the NLRB and the NLA... the scope is narrow, as highlighted before. The cited case does not apply to all social media or bullitin board activity by employees. You're reading a decision without any concern for the scope and applicability of it.

No, the scope didn't change, and has been part of the NLA. The finding in the Milkin case was simply over the statements being made NOT invalidating the protected speech regarding the efforts against the employer's sick policy and the threats made regarding the signs.

No - end of story. Throwing shade over your employer's failures to maintain show standards has nothing to do with employment conditions.

The guy is getting ballsy and throwing shade.

My guess... his main project of Pandora is wrapping up.. this ToT garbage is yet another @#$% show project he's been forced to make work.. and the guy sees the light at the end of the tunnel.

However the light in actuality is a speeding locomotive...

SorcererMC

We will care when the thin skinned Iger fires Joe who is the last 'real' Imagineer left at Disney.

Right, how many 'high profile' imagineers do they have now, since Baxter is gone? (Kind of a real question because I don't really know). They were trotting out some of the classics (eg Ryman and Blair) at Epcot Intl Art Festival...I might be (way) off-base, but I find it odd that they promote 'Disney artists' while it seems like they want their current imagineers to only be seen as part of the Disney brand. They need Rohde to promote Pandora and sell DL GotG Tower to the fans, as he may be the only one with influence. Just a theory.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right, how many 'high profile' imagineers do they have now, since Baxter is gone? (Kind of a real question because I don't really know). They were trotting out some of the classics (eg Ryman and Blair) at Epcot Intl Art Festival...I might be (way) off-base, but I find it odd that they promote 'Disney artists' while it seems like they want their current imagineers to only be seen as part of the Disney brand. They need Rohde to promote Pandora and sell DL GotG Tower to the fans, as he may be the only one with influence. Just a theory.

Rohde is it as far as I know the rest have been kicked to the curb

Tony Baxter and Eddie Sotto were two of the last but both were kicked to the curb

SorcererMC

Rohde is it as far as I know the rest have been kicked to the curb

Tony Baxter and Eddie Sotto were two of the last but both were kicked to the curb

Also- Iger's method of firing seems to be, 'You're out, but why don't you stick around to consult and advise.' Maintain appearances. As to your thin-skinned comment, yes it wreaks of a power play that is rooted in insecurity, and organizational dysfunction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom