A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I still cant believe Disney gave a youtuber half a billion dollars....

Believe it it's one reason Iger has GOT TO GO,

Iger bought this channel because it had the biggest numbers, the fact that it was the 'Extra Raunchy Howard Stern Show with Special Guests Opie and Anthony' on 'Roids apparently was lost on Disney who thought they were getting the premier YouTube channel.

They might as well have just taken a dumptruck full of hundreds and set them on fire in the Burbank Executive Parking lot. That half billion would have gone a long way at WDW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The lack of understanding of the YouTube content business model here is pretty amazing, but that aside, Maker was not a good fit for Disney and it sits on the long list of failed tech initiatives the company has had since the 90s. The fact that Disney URLs still include go.com is endlessly entertaining.

The content model aside the fact that 20 years on Disney Still has not figured out how to make the GO.COM portal go away is a testament to Disneys cluelessness WRT technology

Just type in the following
http://www.go.com

JoeCamel

The content model aside the fact that 20 years on Disney Still has not figured out how to make the GO.COM portal go away is a testament to Disneys cluelessness WRT technology

Just type in the following
http://www.go.com

I am certainly not SEO savvy but does having a site full of links not raise your standing with google on the sites that are linked? How much could it cost to keep that around?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am certainly not SEO savvy but does having a site full of links not raise your standing with google on the sites that are linked? How much could it cost to keep that around?

Googles Page Rank does not like 'link farms' which used to be a popular SEO technique for that very reason

Quinnmac000

How Disney greenlights film....from the hollywood reporter

DISNEY

With much of its production pipeline fueled by four mega-brands (Lucasfilm, Pixar, Disney Animation and Marvel Entertainment), no single greenlight process applies to any one film. "The very term 'greenlight' is sort of outmoded here," notes one executive.

In the case of Lucasfilm, authority rests with its president, Kathleen Kennedy, and Horn (to whom she reports), but the final say on each movie also involves Disney Studios president Alan Bergman and even Disney CEO Bob Iger.

The same group greenlights the Marvel movies, with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige replacing Kennedy. With Pixar and Disney Animation, Feige plays no role, but chief creative officer John Lasseter does. While Lasseter does not report to Horn, Horn gets to weigh in, as does Iger, who is said to have been involved in a pricey revamp of Zootopia late in its production.

Even in-house Disney product is similarly diffuse. "It's inconceivable that if Disney is developing Beauty and the Beast, which crosses into all our ancillary businesses, Alan wouldn't discuss that with Bob," says one executive.

SorcererMC

Weird that they are calling that decision chain 'diffuse'. Isn't it obvious? 'de-risking the business' = I call the shots

ETA: To be clear, I wouldn't necessarily expect otherwise....I thought it was common knowledge that Iger is 'involved'.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There will be a significant Marvel component to the new Bob Iger IP Land MAGIC Park (yeah, I renamed it again!) and, NO, I am not saying Disney is 'making' UNI give up its Marvel characters (as near as I can tell that will never happen). But DIS is going to use whatever characters and properties it is allowed and is going to (talks have already happened ... or at least 'overtures' as I've been told) about Disney giving up certain assets (don't think theme parks here) to possibly be allowed a limited use of Marvel IP in O-Town, while UNI keeps using everything it can for decades to come ...

I do believe this is another reason why this project is being pushed ahead slowly (beyond the PR backlash). Pixar moves in first, Lucas moves in second, some new Disney stuff moves in third and then ... then ... Marvel has a home at Disney's resort in the swamps.

I'm not sure Disney has enough money to entice Uni to give up Marvel. If I remember the contract correctly, once Uni met the initial terms (deadlines and such), it has rights east of the Mississippi unto perpetuity. I'm sure there's a breach of contract clause, but if I remember correctly, it was more dependent on making those initial deadlines. Somehow I think Marvel east of the Mississippi is Uni's until Comcast grows tired of it. Or TWDC offers the GDP of France for it.... Neither I can imagine happening.

Princess Leia

I'm not sure Disney has enough money to entice Uni to give up Marvel. If I remember the contract correctly, once Uni met the initial terms (deadlines and such), it has rights east of the Mississippi unto perpetuity. I'm sure there's a breach of contract clause, but if I remember correctly, it was more dependent on making those initial deadlines. Somehow I think Marvel east of the Mississippi is Uni's until Comcast grows tired of it. Or TWDC offers the GDP of France for it.... Neither I can imagine happening.
I don't see Uni giving it up. Spider-Man is consistently ranked as one of the best theme park rides in the world... Why would Universal want to retheme it?

Princess Leia

Gen, I don't know. Maybe down the road some clueless CEO thinks replacing an iconic and popular ride with something else is a good idea?
This is all I can think of-
Disney buys the Marvel rights back, Uni buys the DC theme park rights and rethemes Marvel Superhero Island to DC Superhero Island. Spider-Man becomes Superman, Hulk gets a paint job and becomes Wonder Woman (or Aquaman), and Doom & Storm are demolished to make way for a Batman dark ride.
Anyways, I don't see any of that happening, so I digress.

lazyboy97o

I don't see Uni giving it up. Spider-Man is consistently ranked as one of the best theme park rides in the world... Why would Universal want to retheme it?
He said he is referring to any characters outside the contract that Disney can scrounge up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom