Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not saying Disney will overserve people anymore than anywhere else... just saying CMs don't fear the law.. they fear the mouse's retribution and Disney conditions front-line CMs to be mindless, smiling, zero decision making bots that are to call for assistance rather than risk making any decisions themselves.
Which in and of itself is far from what Old Dead guy Walt wanted, Walt wanted his people to be able to take care of the guest on the spot so to speak

bradleyteacher

Original Poster
I'm not saying Disney will overserve people anymore than anywhere else... just saying CMs don't fear the law.. they fear the mouse's retribution and Disney conditions front-line CMs to be mindless, smiling, zero decision making bots that are to call for assistance rather than risk making any decisions themselves.
Not really true. As a cast member I feel totally comfortable with being able to make decisions regarding the ability to help out a guest on the spot. I feel like my leaders and coordinator is would back me up on up on most of the decisions that I make them. And if it's too big are extremely hostile guess then and only then are we supposed to call for assistance.

The_Jobu

I'm inclined to agree with what's been said already, I think there's tremendous potential for an A-O themed lounge within the parks. Haven't been to Trader Sams or Abracadabar yet (or V&A but that's not happening anytime soon) but they're definitely on my list for next time.

71jason

I just can't imagine that there are many kids at Mizner's, Citricos, Territory Lounge, Garden View Champagne and Wine Room, Trader Sam's before 8

As the "mayor' of two of those places, very familiar with a third ... you're wrong. They're not Fantasyland, but still far more kids than you would find in their real world equivalents. Things tend to get more adult after fireworks tho.

I assume the two dozen pages of chatter means there has been no news one way or another what this training is for?

21stamps

As the "mayor' of two of those places, very familiar with a third ... you're wrong. They're not Fantasyland, but still far more kids than you would find in their real world equivalents. Things tend to get more adult after fireworks tho.

I assume the two dozen pages of chatter means there has been no news one way or another what this training is for?

You all are making me feel like I have had extremely good luck at WDW!! Never noticed anyone puking in bushes, never had loud drunk people around, and never been in a lounge that was full of toddlers..or many children at all. Hopefully that lucky streak doesn't end!

Luxe

You all are making me feel like I have had extremely good luck at WDW!! Never noticed anyone puking in bushes, never had loud drunk people around, and never been in a lounge that was full of toddlers..or many children at all. Hopefully that lucky streak doesn't end!
You're likely preoccupied with your kid to notice but it's definitely present. Like I mentioned before, on this trip alone I've already seen several incidents and it's a common theme every time I visit. Maybe not necessarily the norm but it's common enough.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Always a fun topic. Here's my take...
1) I have no issue with alcohol served at table service restaurants at MK. A beer or glass of wine at dinner isn't going to be a problem for the vast majority of guests. I haven't seen or heard anything about massive issues at BOG. There is no need for an actual bar to hang out at in MK. The monorail resorts are nearby and can or should be able to provide that (see point 2). I would be against beer carts and even counter service alcohol sales in MK. Limit it to alcohol served in an actual glass (no plastic cups). Every time this topic comes up people lose their minds expecting it's going to lead to all these horrible things but it worked fine with BOG so let's see what the plan is before condemning it.

2) I absolutely think they should have more adult only options for restaurants and especially lounges. I'm the parent of 2 young kids so not biased in favor of the kid free guests either. I just think it would be nice to have a few places reserved just for adults. I enjoyed visits to WDW as a young adult pre-kids but that was prime PI time so we always knew we had the nights "kid free". There are also a lot of people who travel with their extended family or who even use the babysitting service so it would be nice for them to have adult oriented things if they get a "night off" or for a special occasion.

I'm not suggesting every signature restaurant and lounge/bar, just a few at the resorts and in Disney Springs. They can leave the parks as is. I think a decent compromise is to have a time limit like no kids after 8PM or 9PM. Sorta like the Dave and Busters policy. I know that some kids are well behaved and most people think their kids aren't hurting anything by being there, but it kills the vibe of a bar/lounge. Having it adults only doesn't mean it has to be New Orleans at Madi Gras every night but there's a lot of middle ground between that and a lounge with kids sitting at the bar eating chicken nuggets and drinking out of kids cups. Same for high end signature restaurants. Have a few places for truly special occasions. My suggestion is to have a handful of these locations that you can market to kid free adults and offer as an alternative. There are still so many other places on property you can visit. It's not killing anyone that they can't get into Jelly Rolls with their 5 year old. They just go somewhere else.

21stamps

Always a fun topic. Here's my take...
1) I have no issue with alcohol served at table service restaurants at MK. A beer or glass of wine at dinner isn't going to be a problem for the vast majority of guests. I haven't seen or heard anything about massive issues at BOG. There is no need for an actual bar to hang out at in MK. The monorail resorts are nearby and can or should be able to provide that (see point 2). I would be against beer carts and even counter service alcohol sales in MK. Limit it to alcohol served in an actual glass (no plastic cups). Every time this topic comes up people lose their minds expecting it's going to lead to all these horrible things but it worked fine with BOG so let's see what the plan is before condemning it.

2) I absolutely think they should have more adult only options for restaurants and especially lounges. I'm the parent of 2 young kids so not biased in favor of the kid free guests either. I just think it would be nice to have a few places reserved just for adults. I enjoyed visits to WDW as a young adult pre-kids but that was prime PI time so we always knew we had the nights "kid free". There are also a lot of people who travel with their extended family or who even use the babysitting service so it would be nice for them to have adult oriented things if they get a "night off" or for a special occasion.

I'm not suggesting every signature restaurant and lounge/bar, just a few at the resorts and in Disney Springs. They can leave the parks as is. I think a decent compromise is to have a time limit like no kids after 8PM or 9PM. Sorta like the Dave and Busters policy. I know that some kids are well behaved and most people think their kids aren't hurting anything by being there, but it kills the vibe of a bar/lounge. Having it adults only doesn't mean it has to be New Orleans at Madi Gras every night but there's a lot of middle ground between that and a lounge with kids sitting at the bar eating chicken nuggets and drinking out of kids cups. Same for high end signature restaurants. Have a few places for truly special occasions. My suggestion is to have a handful of these locations that you can market to kid free adults and offer as an alternative. There are still so many other places on property you can visit. It's not killing anyone that they can't get into Jelly Rolls with their 5 year old. They just go somewhere else.

Agree, unless you take all of the lounges at the monorail resorts and turn them into adult only. There's 2 in that area already..1 and a restaurant anyway. I think that if people are staying at those resorts with their child/children then they should be able to relax in a nice lounge, at their resort, past 8pm, on a night or 2 of their trip.
It plays a factor into my reservations, I (obviously) enjoy the lounge atmosphere while at WDW and specifically at whatever resort I'm staying at..mainly bc there are typically less children. These places aren't included on the dining plan, they don't have kids menus, and they tend to be a little higher priced.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My hang up with TS is that it's so in your face and tortured me daily. I would walk by and have to see it all and wish I was there, with a drink and some good music. The location of it is front and center and there is no where else to go and have a drink outside where you aren't surrounded by loud kids. That's my own personal issue though.lol

Shockingly, the world doesn't revolve around you. Many adults travel to WDW without kids, having a kid free zone would be quite appealing.

Doesn't the Boardwalk also have the Dueling Pianos bar which is 21+ with a cover? Just adding in one other spot which I believe is considered adults only.

Yeah, and it's fantastic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree, unless you take all of the lounges at the monorail resorts and turn them into adult only. There's 2 in that area already..1 and a restaurant anyway. I think that if people are staying at those resorts with their child/children then they should be able to relax in a nice lounge, at their resort, past 8pm, on a night or 2 of their trip.
It plays a factor into my reservations, I (obviously) enjoy the lounge atmosphere while at WDW and specifically at whatever resort I'm staying at..mainly bc there are typically less children. These places aren't included on the dining plan, they don't have kids menus, and they tend to be a little higher priced.
Not taking out all but just offering maybe 1 per resort. Take Contemporary resort for example. They have 4 lounge/bars:
  1. Outer Rim Lounge - next to Chef Mickey and Contempo Cafe
    IMG_0610.JPG
  2. The Wave Lounge
    IMG_0608.JPG
  3. California Grill Lounge
    IMG_0607.JPG
  4. Top of the World (DVC member lounge)
    IMG_0611.JPG
I don't think they would change Top of the World and Outer Rim is too open to the lobby to regulate, but it wouldn't kill anyone to make either the bar at The Wave or California Grill adult only at night. This still leaves 3 other options for families with kids plus eating in the actual restaurants which they are attached to.

TeriofTerror

So...Victoria and Albert's, and Trader Sam's after 8pm are the only 21+ in the resort... I am surprised there are not more, and I REALLY wish there were. There are places that are just not appropriate for children... That was always the problem at PLeasure Island...which was 21+ after 6pm, problem is large families with kids and strollers would come in beforehand and just camp out. It was NOT an appropriate venue for children, but no one seems to be able to say that to the adults dragging their kids in. I really want to have an $18 cocktail and listen to someones kids screaming and carrying on...
There are more than enough kid-friendly places and things to do at the Walt Disney World resort...I think having a few places that are
adults only is needed and appropriate.
I would be beyond thrilled with an adults-only resort. No children by the pool? Sheer heaven.
Hey; I can dream!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I would be beyond thrilled with an adults-only resort. No children by the pool? Sheer heaven.
Hey; I can dream!
Actually not a bad idea. They could even do a wing of a deluxe resort as adult only. Kinda like a hotel within the bigger resort. Similar to Mandalay Bay in Vegas having a Four Sasons built into it. Adult only pool, lounges and maybe a restaurant too. It could work if done near Yacht Club or Coronado Springs because of the convention space and larger number of adult only guests.

21stamps

Shockingly, the world doesn't revolve around you. Many adults travel to WDW without kids, having a kid free zone would be quite appealing.

Yeah, and it's fantastic.
Shockingly, when I went to Disney world without children..I realized that there would in fact- be children..at WDW. Crazy, huh. I didn't expect a family destination to offer adult only bars restaurants and lounges at every resort and park. I just chose the ones where I thought there would be less children.

There are a lot of adult only resorts and cruises.. they're great. Then there's others where kids are not marketed to, but are technically allowed. No one with kids tries to add a kid's club in one. I don't email Azamara and ask them to start adding children's activities on their ships.

21stamps

It is kind of funny that a good portion of the thread doesn't want alcohol or people drinking..and then another portion wants to add more adult only and entire areas of WDW where kids are not allowed.

There has to be something good in the middle..

matt9112

Shockingly, when I went to Disney world without children..I realized that there would in fact- be children..at WDW. Crazy, huh. I didn't expect a family destination to offer adult only bars restaurants and lounges at every resort and park. I just chose the ones where I thought there would be less children.

There are a lot of adult only resorts and cruises.. they're great. Then there's others where kids are not marketed to, but are technically allowed. No one with kids tries to add a kid's club in one. I don't email Azamara and ask them to start adding children's activities on their ships.

100% agree.....WDW is inherently a children's destination get over it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

100% agree.....WDW is inherently a children's destination get over it.
I don't think anyone is saying they would want WDW to be less family friendly. I also don't see how having a bar on property that limits children to before 8PM is a big deal. Nobody who wants 100% kid free is going to visit WDW but that doesn't mean every aspect has to be only for children. It's a huge property. There's plenty of room for both and I think it would be good business too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is kind of funny that a good portion of the thread doesn't want alcohol or people drinking..and then another portion wants to add more adult only and entire areas of WDW where kids are not allowed.

There has to be something good in the middle..
There is middle ground. It's taking small lounges or areas in select resorts and making them adult only just at night;)

I don't think people are against alcohol in general, just at MK due to tradition. I can see that point of view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom