Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

21stamps

So...Victoria and Albert's, and Trader Sam's after 8pm are the only 21+ in the resort... I am surprised there are not more, and I REALLY wish there were. There are places that are just not appropriate for children... That was always the problem at PLeasure Island...which was 21+ after 6pm, problem is large families with kids and strollers would come in beforehand and just camp out. It was NOT an appropriate venue for children, but no one seems to be able to say that to the adults dragging their kids in. I really want to have an $18 cocktail and listen to someones kids screaming and carrying on...
There are more than enough kid-friendly places and things to do at the Walt Disney World resort...I think having a few places that are
adults only is needed and appropriate.

I get your point, but not every kid is screaming and not every person under 21 is an infant or toddler. I do wish Trader Sam's wasn't like that. An inside bar, fine. A bar with live music and great atmosphere that I have to stare at every evening and can't go in? Nope, I'm not a fan.
It is what it is though.

There are plenty of places in every city, and on most vacations, where children can not go. At an overwhelmingly family destination like WDW there shouldn't be several places where families aren't allowed. There's what, 3 currently? My opinion is that's sufficient. City Walk has several of them, let WDW remain a place where families can spend time together.

Last edited:

21stamps

Just want to say this as well..

I've been to plenty of bars/lounges/nightclubs where the table next to me had 1 or more adults who were more obnoxious than most children under age 21. So I don't think having more adult only places at WDW will guarantee that you won't be annoyed by the people near you. To that point though, Parents traveling with children may want an $18 cocktail too, and know that most large families with little children aren't going to those types of places, so it's a safe bet that it is still a more "away from the madness" type of place. Seriously, how often do you see a bunch of babies and toddlers in Trader Sam's even before 8? I haven't.

Otterhead

There are more than enough kid-friendly places and things to do at the Walt Disney World resort...I think having a few places that are adults only is needed and appropriate.
While WDW is a 'family resort', there's tons and tons of adults visiting the park without kids who would surely enjoy some time without strollers, children, or families taking care of their young ones. I know The Edison will have many separate rooms and smaller bars; I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the lounges are designated 18+. It's when you get into theme park areas where designating specific lounges "adults only" gets much trickier and more problematic.

Rodan75

The law is on the side of the employee... doesn't save them in the way Disney responds.

If you think the very worst of Disney management and that they are self-centered career hungry internal politicians, then you should also assume they don't want to go to jail or be responsible for the company facing wrongful death suits and accident reports due to over-serving.

There is a structure here that works and keeps companies engaged on managing the line between fun and disorderly. It isn't perfect, but it works and the consequences are real.

21stamps

While WDW is a 'family resort', there's tons and tons of adults visiting the park without kids who would surely enjoy some time without strollers, children, or families taking care of their young ones. I know The Edison will have many separate rooms and smaller bars; I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the lounges are designated 18+. It's when you get into theme park areas where designating specific lounges "adults only" gets much trickier and more problematic.
How many do they need though? 3 is not enough for people? I loved my adult only trips, and will be doing another one this year. I promise you that I will NOT be at any character meal, or any restaurant where I know is very attractive to toddlers.

I don't go to Shula's at WDW for the same reasons I don't go to Rainforest Cafe..(they have too many other locations), but Shula's is a perfect example- No kid's menu..which elimates a lot of kids. Then you have other kids who like that menu, and parents who enjoy it and a drink or 2 as well. I haven't been to a Shula's where I've seen several kids. Mine is usually the only or one of a few. These places are still relaxing without having the age requirement.
If we're saying that a few less places should offer children's menus, then I'd agree. Not many, but maybe one in each resort area.

Otterhead

How many do they need though? 3 is not enough for people?
To be clear, there's two 21+ spots that I know of at WDW: Trader Sam's, which is extremely popular and quite small, and Victoria & Albert's, which isn't exactly a casual spot to relax, given that it has a tie-and-jacket dress code, a waiting list, and will run you $250 or so for dinner. So, no, 2 is not enough for people.

I don't think that having a casual lounge area somewhere (say, Disney Springs) that's meant for grownups only would be too much to ask.

Rodan75

How many do they need though? 3 is not enough for people? I loved my adult only trips, and will be doing another one this year. I promise you that I will NOT be at any character meal, or any restaurant where I know is very attractive to toddlers.

I don't go to Shula's at WDW for the same reasons I don't go to Rainforest Cafe..(they have too many other locations), but Shula's is a perfect example- No kid's menu..which elimates a lot of kids. Then you have other kids who like that menu, and parents who enjoy it and a drink or 2 as well. I haven't been to a Shula's where I've seen several kids. Mine is usually the only or one of a few. These places are still relaxing without having the age requirement.
If we're saying that a few less places should offer children's menus, then I'd agree. Not many, but maybe one in each resort area.

2 that have minimal seating isn't a lot (I don't know what the 3rd is). they could triple that number and still have too few. I think TS is a great compromise. It is a family place until 8pm, allowing families to enjoy the environment while also allowing adults time and space to be without kids. Top of the World is all ages and honestly whenever groups bring more than 3 kids the place gets unbearable. That lounge wasn't designed for kids and there is nothing there to keep them occupied.

21stamps

To be clear, there's two 21+ spots that I know of at WDW: Trader Sam's, which is extremely popular and quite small, and Victoria & Albert's, which isn't exactly a casual spot to relax, given that it has a tie-and-jacket dress code, a waiting list, and will run you $250 or so for dinner. So, no, 2 is not enough for people.

I don't think that having a casual lounge area somewhere (say, Disney Springs) that's meant for grownups only would be too much to ask.
I think 1 in Disney springs would be fine, and appropriate actually. maybe things have changed, but I dot ever remember seeing a lot of children, especially very young children, in restauarants or lounges that do not have children's menus.

In a family spot like WDW by not offering a children's menu and offering relatively high priced drinks and food, you aren't restricting a family, but common sense would dictate that families with small children will not be the majority of patrons there.

21stamps

2 that have minimal seating isn't a lot (I don't know what the 3rd is). they could triple that number and still have too few. I think TS is a great compromise. It is a family place until 8pm, allowing families to enjoy the environment while also allowing adults time and space to be without kids. Top of the World is all ages and honestly whenever groups bring more than 3 kids the place gets unbearable. That lounge wasn't designed for kids and there is nothing there to keep them occupied.

My hang up with TS is that it's so in your face and tortured me daily. I would walk by and have to see it all and wish I was there, with a drink and some good music. The location of it is front and center and there is no where else to go and have a drink outside where you aren't surrounded by loud kids. That's my own personal issue though.lol

Otterhead

I think 1 in Disney springs would be fine, and appropriate actually. maybe things have changed, but I dot ever remember seeing a lot of children, especially very young children, in restauarants or lounges that do not have children's menus.
I had a few meals over at Disney Springs, and there were nearly always families with kids, even at places with no children's menu -- they'd just get their kids some fries or ask for chicken fingers (there always seem to be chicken fingers!). The one spot I never saw kids was Morimoto Asia and its street food quickservice area.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you think the very worst of Disney management and that they are self-centered career hungry internal politicians, then you should also assume they don't want to go to jail or be responsible for the company facing wrongful death suits and accident reports due to over-serving.

No... I think they are short-sighted and have an unhealthy lack of trust in their employees... combined with an irrational fixation on avoiding angering customers even when the customer is in the wrong.

You are thinking wholistically - and that isn't what happens at the rank and file level. And why CMs get disciplined when guests assault them, or for actually trying to stand-up to out of line guests.

Their model is 'call someone else' to deal with issues because they don't empower or trust the employee they hired to do the job.

I'm simply pointing out that it's not the LAW the cast member fears.. its their employer and how they react to a conflict. It's unhealthy

csmat99

If the edison is anything like the one in LA it all should be 21+.

csmat99

I couldn't disagree with you more. Like other posters have said the number isn't 3. It's like 1.5. And we are talking about "millions" of people that come to WDW every year and you think having 1.5 places that are adults only for a few hours a night are enough? You have huge groups of people that come to WDW without kids. And if I want to stay on property and get away from all the strollers and backpacks and screaming there should be plenty of places for me to choose from. My hope is that the Edison is going to be like the one in LA if so no kids belong there at all. And by having more adult places isn't going to impact people with kids. Because there will still be more stuff for parents to do with their kids then they will have time for.

Bocabear

My hang up with TS is that it's so in your face and tortured me daily. I would walk by and have to see it all and wish I was there, with a drink and some good music. The location of it is front and center and there is no where else to go and have a drink outside where you aren't surrounded by loud kids. That's my own personal issue though.lol
I am sorry you are tortured by Trader Sam's, but two 21+ venues in a resort the size of WDW is truthfully not enough...That is why Trader Sam's is at capacity every night. V&A's is a restaurant, not an adult only lounge... Right noe you are seeing it through your lens, but when the kids are grown and gone and you want to have an Adult Disney trip, you will feel the same way we do... The resort is overwhelmingly family friendly, but to have a few adult respites is a plus... it would not be taking anything away from you, only adding something for those of us without kids...

Luxe

That's very true. If I'm in the unfortunate situation of noticing someone vomiting, I'm not going to hang out and watch to find out what the reason for said vomiting was.
I have a weak stomach when it comes to that though.
I must be the luckiest person in the world because today I had the pleasure of witnessing someone display their lunch all over the Dinosaur queue. Yay...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

There is a structure here that works and keeps companies engaged on managing the line between fun and disorderly. It isn't perfect, but it works and the consequences are real.

If something bad happens the CM is tossed under the bus and the 'official' rules are used to fix the blame on the low level CM, Meanwhile the unofficial rules are used as @flynnibus notes the CM will not be disciplined for 'refusing to overserve' it will be 'poor attitude towards guests' instead...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
i think the last one is desperatley looking for some shrubbery ;)
1g17nn.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No... I think they are short-sighted and have an unhealthy lack of trust in their employees... combined with an irrational fixation on avoiding angering customers even when the customer is in the wrong.

You are thinking wholistically - and that isn't what happens at the rank and file level. And why CMs get disciplined when guests assault them, or for actually trying to stand-up to out of line guests.

Their model is 'call someone else' to deal with issues because they don't empower or trust the employee they hired to do the job.

I'm simply pointing out that it's not the LAW the cast member fears.. its their employer and how they react to a conflict. It's unhealthy

Of course managements which do not trust their staff generally are unworthy of trust themselves.

21stamps

I couldn't disagree with you more. Like other posters have said the number isn't 3. It's like 1.5. And we are talking about "millions" of people that come to WDW every year and you think having 1.5 places that are adults only for a few hours a night are enough? You have huge groups of people that come to WDW without kids. And if I want to stay on property and get away from all the strollers and backpacks and screaming there should be plenty of places for me to choose from. My hope is that the Edison is going to be like the one in LA if so no kids belong there at all. And by having more adult places isn't going to impact people with kids. Because there will still be more stuff for parents to do with their kids then they will have time for.
I am sorry you are tortured by Trader Sam's, but two 21+ venues in a resort the size of WDW is truthfully not enough...That is why Trader Sam's is at capacity every night. V&A's is a restaurant, not an adult only lounge... Right noe you are seeing it through your lens, but when the kids are grown and gone and you want to have an Adult Disney trip, you will feel the same way we do... The resort is overwhelmingly family friendly, but to have a few adult respites is a plus... it would not be taking anything away from you, only adding something for those of us without kids...

I'm 39. My kid is 6. I've gone to WDW every year of my life minus the first 4 of his. So I have been on many more trips to Disney with adults than I have been as a mother. They are very, very different types of trips.

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of adults need a break from the stroller crowd!
Hear me out-
I don't think me and my kid are in the majority, but I do think there is a lot more of families now who's kids are accustomed to being in more adult settings, and know how to act in them. There are a lot of people who wait to have kids until later than previous generations, and who choose a more urban lifestyle and expose their children to several types of scenarios.

My kid has been ordering steamers and sushi etc since age 3. Sure he still eats chicken fingers some times, but he enjoys our "fancy nights" as he calls them. When you have a lounge or restaurant that has a menu of more expensive drinks and food, void of any of the chicken finger type stuff, you are already eliminating many families without putting a rule on who can or can not visit.

I know that kid's clubs and sitters are popular on a lot of vacations, but some of us work a lot, and our vacation time is the one chance to spend unlimited/uninterrupted time with our child/children. It's a nice evening to go to a more adult setting, let your kid order a fancy non alcoholic drink and an "adult" food... I know I used to enjoy it when my parents took us to do the same. It's a break from the hectic atmosphere while still spending QT.

@Bocabear if memory serves me correctly you own a house in KW. We love KW! Most of the restaurants we go to there are not over run with children..I choose them specifically for that reason. We also do Hard Rock bc that is a more family friendly atmosphere and he likes his fish sticks on a guitar shaped plate.

Point being, there can be a balance of atmosphere in lounges/restaurants without the 21+ requirement. I've been to plenty while in WDW during my adult trips. 2015 was the first time I ever dined with characters or in extremely loud restaurants at WDW as an adult.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom