Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Tony the Tigger

It's not. More the outcome of a PC culture

Today's society does not let one ignore others. Everyone must be celebrated by everyone. When, in fact, one should be allowed to celebrate those whom one wants to celebrate and ignore those that you want to ignore.

That's not new. It's called America.

21stamps

Food poisoning is a little bit of a stretch, but, people with motion sickness can easily become ill from a ride. Food Poisoning is an overused, incorrect term. Food Poisoning is a very rare event and can only be verified if groups of people get ill from eating the same thing at the same place. Otherwise, they are just stomach problems or flu. I have eaten all kinds of stuff for the past 68 years and have had Food Poison just once and that was at my grandfathers house, four of us ate the stuff and we all got sick, yet if you listen to some of the people on the boards it is a weekly occurrence for them. The solution.. quit eating stuff that makes you sick or riding rides that make you sick.
lol, I didn't know that people were complaining of it. I was just listing things that could lead to vomiting. Not completely sure how people here know all of these "pukers" are drunk.
Yes, at least twice a trip. I know... I'm lucky. Three so far this trip, although once was a girl who was obviously just sick at MK. Felt bad for her, no one deserves to be sick on vacation.

It's much easier to stomach with a Uni cleanse every few days.
How much time per day do you spend watching other people?lol. Seriously, I must walk around oblivious, I probably wouldn't notice unless I almost tripped over them.

Goofyernmost

lol, I didn't know that people were complaining of it. I was just listing things that could lead to vomiting. Not completely sure how people here know all of these "pukers" are drunk.

How much time per day do you spend watching other people?lol. Seriously, I must walk around oblivious, I probably wouldn't notice unless I almost tripped over them.
It was just a side comment because you will see it very often mentioned on the boards. They ate at some restaurant in Disney and within minutes they had Food Poisoning. They were the only ones that got it but it was Disney's fault. It's more the use of that description that bothers me. It isn't food poisoning, it's something else but lets yell it from the highest point that you get poisoned at WDW. Ignorance of how things work isn't always bliss. Sometimes it is harmful to others.

To answer you question, I never watch other people. I do see them and occasionally find them attention worthy, but, watching people almost seems to me to be a bit on the perverted side. I don't need to spend that kind of money to just observed others. I go for the enjoyment of the attractions and the surroundings. What people do is so far down my list of concerns that it isn't even worthy of thinking about unless it involves me directly.

Otterhead

I may be a prude, but I think these shirts are totally inappropriate. In a world loaded with intolerance for the smallest indiscretion,why is Disney looking the other way with stuff like this?
I had a long conversation with a supervisor about this.
In essence, they say it's really hard to police. When you have an individual wearing an obviously obscene shirt, they tell them to turn it inside-out, or even buy the person a new shirt; they don't want to turn people away completely. But when you have big groups of 30+ people, all wearing homemade "borderline" shirts (not really obscene, but pretty gross and distasteful), do you stop everyone from getting in and force them all to change? Do you buy hundreds of people new shirts every day?
As the homemade shirt thing has gotten bigger at WDW, it's starting to become a problem, and the CM said that they're looking hard at the rules and training to figure out how to balance keeping a kid-friendly environment while not policing every single article of clothing.

Bandini

I had a long conversation with a supervisor about this.
In essence, they say it's really hard to police. When you have an individual wearing an obviously obscene shirt, they tell them to turn it inside-out, or even buy the person a new shirt; they don't want to turn people away completely. But when you have big groups of 30+ people, all wearing homemade "borderline" shirts (not really obscene, but pretty gross and distasteful), do you stop everyone from getting in and force them all to change? Do you buy hundreds of people new shirts every day?
As the homemade shirt thing has gotten bigger at WDW, it's starting to become a problem, and the CM said that they're looking hard at the rules and training to figure out how to balance keeping a kid-friendly environment while not policing every single article of clothing.
IMO the guests shouldn't be rewarded with new shirts, they should be asked to leave or wear their shirts inside out. The original premise of the parks was a safe wholesome environment, I don't think those principals should be compromised. This is appropriate for Las Vegas not WDW or DLR.

Otterhead

IMO the guests shouldn't be rewarded with new shirts, they should be asked to leave or wear their shirts inside out.
I didn't say they were being rewarded, sorry for the confusion there. I meant the issue is dealing with massive groups. When you've got multiple 30-40 person groups all wearing "getting wasted" shirts, do you turn everyone away? Do you stop all entries into the park while huge groups of people have to turn their shirts inside-out? What kind of rule can you have -- no references to alcohol and Disney characters? It's difficult to enforce and puts the CMs at the entry stalls in a weird position of being the morality police. I hate the gross drinky shirts but I can also see why it's awkward for them to deal with.

The Mom

Premium Member
The poster may well have seen someone puking in the bushes. Might not have been drunk. I have seen several people during F+G that have puked from heat stroke.

Or a child in line for Space Mountain - he kept telling his parents he didn't want to ride! Oh, and before M:S was revamped, I did see someone puking in the bushes after riding. My husband almost joined him. ;)

dreamfinder

I believe there used to be a large and small size. Now it's just the small.

There did used to be small, large, and then souvenir glass. And all that is left I believe is small. But in Oct the servings I got felt more like a 4oz taster pour I would get at a brewery than the 1/2 "pint" 6oz servings they used to be. Maybe it was just a different glass, but they sure felt small.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Depends if a football or Rugby game going on. :hilarious:
But you are right people in UK are little nuts but who can blame them? SantaCon there is insane.

3B3EE54900000578-4020072-image-a-51_1481393588500.jpg

3B3FBAFE00000578-4020072-image-a-46_1481397232700.jpg

3B40A3F300000578-4020072-image-a-52_1481409480744.jpg

Looks like this guy just heard about the latest upcharge event at WDW. :bored:

i think the last one is desperatley looking for some shrubbery ;)

hpyhnt 1000

I must say this thread has taken a rather stomach-churning turn. Reading the last few pages you might think folks at WDW were constantly doing this...

Just don't go into Rose & Crown pub on NYE. Two years in a row I found puke running down the red velvet curtains near the brass trashcan inside. The place was crammed with people the entire night and I don't think one single custodial CM was brave enough to enter that place.

That just makes the theming more authentic, right? Now get a few folks drunkenly brawling outside next year and it's perfect! ;)

21stamps

Noticing and watching are two completely different things.
That's very true. If I'm in the unfortunate situation of noticing someone vomiting, I'm not going to hang out and watch to find out what the reason for said vomiting was.
I have a weak stomach when it comes to that though.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Part of the problem regarding shirts is the CMs are NOT empowered to make the guest turn it inside out. Only the front entrance CMs, Security, and managers can do that.

Example: I saw a shirt when I was working as a deck hand on the ferry boat at MK that had some foreign writing and then below it said "that's F- you in <language" I was completely powerless to do anything about it and it was at park opening so the Ferry couldn't sit there while I called a manager when there's another boat with 600 people waiting for the slip to unload. I did call a manager, described the guest, and tried to make sure someone in security would see the shirt, but it was a fruitless exercise. That day REALLY upset me because I take Walt's vision very personally and I did everything I could to carry it on honorably yet couldn't do anything to fix the situation.

The next time something happened, I was a guest at EPCOT and some kid had a shirt referencing sticking a shoe up your @$$. I went to a CM and promptly said go get a manager to tell that person to flip the shirt. That's not acceptable. But again the sad part is a manager had to be requested.

Regarding alcohol at MK, I KNEW they would do this. Not only could it be happening, but they are doing it COMPLETELY under the radar because it's not associated with a new restaurant opening. They are just going to quietly slip it in.

And all these comments about EPCOT and the drunks - well gee, maybe if adults had a place for only them, with, idk, maybe some dancing, then EPCOT wouldn't be such a sh-t show during food and wine. What do you expect when they take away the one place on property where it was encouraged to go all out?

21stamps

Part of the problem regarding shirts is the CMs are NOT empowered to make the guest turn it inside out. Only the front entrance CMs, Security, and managers can do that.

Example: I saw a shirt when I was working as a deck hand on the ferry boat at MK that had some foreign writing and then below it said "that's F- you in <language" I was completely powerless to do anything about it and it was at park opening so the Ferry couldn't sit there while I called a manager when there's another boat with 600 people waiting for the slip to unload. I did call a manager, described the guest, and tried to make sure someone in security would see the shirt, but it was a fruitless exercise. That day REALLY upset me because I take Walt's vision very personally and I did everything I could to carry it on honorably yet couldn't do anything to fix the situation.

The next time something happened, I was a guest at EPCOT and some kid had a shirt referencing sticking a shoe up your @$$. I went to a CM and promptly said go get a manager to tell that person to flip the shirt. That's not acceptable. But again the sad part is a manager had to be requested.

Regarding alcohol at MK, I KNEW they would do this. Not only could it be happening, but they are doing it COMPLETELY under the radar because it's not associated with a new restaurant opening. They are just going to quietly slip it in.

And all these comments about EPCOT and the drunks - well gee, maybe if adults had a place for only them, with, idk, maybe some dancing, then EPCOT wouldn't be such a sh-t show during food and wine. What do you expect when they take away the one place on property where it was encouraged to go all out?

There are adult only places. My vote is ---we don't need any more!

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
There are adult only places. My vote is ---we don't need any more!
BS. Vic and A's is the only place on property that's adults only, that explicitly prohibits kids and even then, it's not 18+ only. ADH is the only place 21+ only and no one knows about it because they do not advertise it.

Adults had their own dedicated place to have fun the adult ways, it was taken away, and this is what happens when you do that.

21stamps

BS. Vic and A's is the only place on property that's adults only, that explicitly prohibits kids and even then, it's not 18+ only. ADH is the only place 21+ only and no one knows about it because they do not advertise it.

Adults had their own dedicated place to have fun the adult ways, it was taken away, and this is what happens when you do that.

Trader Sam's? I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I get why it's adult only after 8, I just personally wish it wasn't, at least the patio. I'm not going to sit in Tambu Lounge with my kid in the evenings, but the atmosphere at Trader Sam's is enjoyable for both of us.

Not saying it should change, just that there are places for 21+...and they're painful for me to pass by. ;)

ETA, just read your last sentence. Up until the past 2 trips all of my others (as an adult) had been sans kids.. we didn't go to 21+ places. We drank, we ate, we went to Downtown Disney..we weren't sloppy. People don't need excuses for knowing that it isn't appropriate to get wasted in public, regardless of if it's 21+ or a family environment. Giving them a "well they have no where to go" out is taking all responsibility from the individuals.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Trader Sam's? I mentioned it earlier in this thread. I get why it's adult only after 8, I just personally wish it wasn't, at least the patio. I'm not going to sit in Tambu Lounge with my kid in the evenings, but the atmosphere at Trader Sam's is enjoyable for both of us.

Not saying it should change, just that there are places for 21+...and they're painful for me to pass by. ;)
So...Victoria and Albert's, and Trader Sam's after 8pm are the only 21+ in the resort... I am surprised there are not more, and I REALLY wish there were. There are places that are just not appropriate for children... That was always the problem at PLeasure Island...which was 21+ after 6pm, problem is large families with kids and strollers would come in beforehand and just camp out. It was NOT an appropriate venue for children, but no one seems to be able to say that to the adults dragging their kids in. I really want to have an $18 cocktail and listen to someones kids screaming and carrying on...
There are more than enough kid-friendly places and things to do at the Walt Disney World resort...I think having a few places that are
adults only is needed and appropriate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom