Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Otterhead

WDW is inherently a children's destination get over it.
Ok, no.
WDW was always designed as a place that would work on all age levels. Even back before Animal Kingdom, Pleasure Island, MGM, or even Epcot, it had stuff for kids (rides, Magic Kingdom, etc), stuff for teens, stuff for the whole family to do together, and activities geared toward adults -- an entire resort based around golf, for example. Parasailing. Water sports on the lagoon. Bars and clubs. Fancy restaurants. The Shopping Village.
And in the 90s, we had Pleasure Island, an entire ticketed area of WDW that was adults-only.
In no way is WDW "inherently a children's destination". It's a family destination with something for everyone.
And having a lounge or two meant just for adults is clearly something that's popular.

21stamps

I don't think anyone is saying they would want WDW to be less family friendly. I also don't see how having a bar on property that limits children to before 8PM is a big deal. Nobody who wants 100% kid free is going to visit WDW but that doesn't mean every aspect has to be only for children. It's a huge property. There's plenty of room for both and I think it would be good business too.

They already exist. I've already agreed that one on Disney Springs would make sense.. but leave the resorts alone please! I've never experienced "several" children at any of the lounges in WDW in the evening..not on an adult trip or on a "mom" trip. If a seeing 1 or 2 kids kills your buzz..there's a great big selection of 21+ bars right outside Disney's gates...just an Uber away. Benefit of not traveling with children- you can stay out late :)

There is middle ground. It's taking small lounges or areas in select resorts and making them adult only just at night;)

I don't think people are against alcohol in general, just at MK due to tradition. I can see that point of view.
I'll agree to disagree. Like I said, the amenities at the MK resorts are why I stay at them..one amenity that I enjoy-- the ability to have a drink in a lounge with my kid, chatting and drinking our good alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktails, good food that we both enjoy, and then walk back to our room at a decent hour..even though it's past 8pm. That's a huge advantage for some parents.

Otterhead

There are a lot of adult only resorts and cruises.. they're great. Then there's others where kids are not marketed to, but are technically allowed. No one with kids tries to add a kid's club in one. I don't email Azamara and ask them to start adding children's activities on their ships.
Actually I think Disney Cruises are a great model for how to keep everyone happy. They have multiple pools -- one for kids, one for families, and one just for adults. They have activities and big recreation areas just for kids, as well as a lounge just for tweens and teens, plus an adults-only restaurant. Even Castaway Cay, their island, has an adults-only section of beach with its own bar and hammocks, to relax and have quiet time. I spent 5 days on a cruise and saw kids all the time but never felt like I was on a "kiddie cruise".

The_Jobu

They already exist. I've already agreed that one on Disney Springs would make sense.. but leave the resorts alone please! I've never experienced "several" children at any of the lounges in WDW in the evening..not on an adult trip or on a "mom" trip. If a seeing 1 or 2 kids kills your buzz..there's a great big selection of 21+ bars right outside Disney's gates...just an Uber away. Benefit of not traveling with children- you can stay out late :)

I'll agree to disagree. Like I said, the amenities at the MK resorts are why I stay at them..one amenity that I enjoy-- the ability to have a drink in a lounge with my kid, chatting and drinking our good alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktails, good food that we both enjoy, and then walk back to our room at a decent hour..even though it's past 8pm. That's a huge advantage for some parents.

With all due respect, you do see the humour in this, don't you? Thread after thread when people are railing against the latest upcharge that changes the way they have been accustomed to experiencing the park, what do you typically say?

1) Don't complain, it never changes anything
2) If you don't like it, just don't go and speak with your wallet
3) These changes just provide more "options" for other people to enjoy

Isn't it time to accept your own advice?

Otterhead

They already exist. I've already agreed that one on Disney Springs would make sense.. but leave the resorts alone please!
One single very small bar exists with that model, and they have a waiting list every night.
I get where you're coming from -- you like to go to WDW with your kids and really hate the idea of places you can't take them; you'd like everything to be available to the whole family. I love kids, I love hanging out with families and seeing kids have an awesome time. But I also like the idea of a quiet lounge on property where folks can just relax and know their feet won't get run over with a stroller for five minutes ;)

21stamps

Actually I think Disney Cruises are a great model for how to keep everyone happy. They have multiple pools -- one for kids, one for families, and one just for adults. They have activities and big recreation areas just for kids, as well as a lounge just for tweens and teens, plus an adults-only restaurant. Even Castaway Cay, their island, has an adults-only section of beach with its own bar and hammocks, to relax and have quiet time. I spent 5 days on a cruise and saw kids all the time but never felt like I was on a "kiddie cruise".

Yes, and you can't Uber anywhere when on a cruise ship..so they really do need to offer those options.

On the flip side, as I mentioned- Azamara, they are not kid friendly, yet they are not "adult only", I know this ahead of time...and make the decision if I still would want to take my child onboard one of their ships.
If you choose to go to a place with Mickey Mouse as it's mascot, be prepared that there may be children in a lot of places where you are having a cocktail..I'm betting that if you choose wisely you'll never be around too many of them. I did it for plenty of years and never hung out where there were tons of kids.
With all do respect, you do see the humour in this, don't you? Thread after thread when people are railing against the latest upcharge that changes the way they have been accustomed to experiencing the park, what do you typically say?

1) Don't complain, it never changes anything
2) If you don't like it, just don't go and speak with your wallet
3) These changes just provide more "options" for other people to enjoy

Isn't it time to accept your own advice?

Did I miss a new announcement? They changed all lounges to adult only? I thought people here were saying they wanted to see it, not that it has actually happened.
I must have been left out of the email chain :(

21stamps

One single very small bar exists with that model, and they have a waiting list every night.
I get where you're coming from -- you like to go to WDW with your kids and really hate the idea of places you can't take them; you'd like everything to be available to the whole family. I love kids, I love hanging out with families and seeing kids have an awesome time. But I also like the idea of a quiet lounge on property where folks can just relax and know their feet won't get run over with a stroller for five minutes ;)

Ok maybe not right now bc Mizner's is an acting QS.. but I promise you that all of the bars I mentioned are great for adults trying to avoid strollers! I choose those places bc I'm trying to avoid them too.lol.

The_Jobu

Yes, and you can't Uber anywhere when on a cruise ship..so they really do need to offer those options.

On the flip side, as I mentioned- Azamara, they are not kid friendly, yet they are not "adult only", I know this ahead of time...and make the decision if I still would want to take my child onboard one of their ships.
If you choose to go to a place with Mickey Mouse as it's mascot, be prepared that there may be children in a lot of places where you are having a cocktail..I'm betting that if you choose wisely you'll never be around too many of them. I did it for plenty of years and never hung out where there were tons of kids.

Did I miss a new announcement? They changed all lounges to adult only? I thought people here were saying they wanted to see it, not that it has actually happened.
I must have been left out of the email chain :(

Ah, I see, you'd rather play at being obtuse than acknowledge the irony.

Very well then carry on, I'll just enjoy the humour. :geek:

21stamps

Just to be clear, your recommendation for people who're suggesting that 21+ lounge somewhere on property would be nice is "get an Uber and leave"? That's rather counterproductive.
No. I'm saying that there are adult only options, and if those aren't sufficient enough then...because you are a party of adults, it's an option to Uber to a good bar/lounge/nightclub and stay out late. Can't do that with children.
I've said repeatedly that a Disney Springs 21+ should exist.

Make no mistake, when I go on my 'girls trip' to WDW in '17, we will be closing down Trader Sam's, and it will be glorious. I don't want the current options taken away, just don't think the monorail resorts need any additional 21+ venues.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Good discussion. I see where you are coming from but you are probably in a small minority. You want multiple bar/lounge options with a good vibe that aren't packed with kids but you can still bring your own kids. The problem is if too many people bring their kids in...it's packed with kids.

I'm not suggesting taking all of those options away from parents with kids. I laid out a simple example of CR with 4 lounges. If they made the Wave lounge adult only after 8PM parents with children could still eat/drink at the other 3 bars. The same can be said for GF and Poly (which already has an adult spot). I don't see that as a huge imposition on myself as a parent with kids but it provides an adults only option for those who want it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Make no mistake, when I go on my 'girls trip' to WDW in '17, we will be closing down Trader Sam's, and it will be glorious. I don't want the current options taken away, just don't think the monorail resorts need any additional 21+ venues.
Doesn't Trader Sams have a waiting list some nights? It seems like they could use a few more options. Not all, but a few more.

Luxe

Ah, I see, you'd rather play at being obtuse than acknowledge the irony.

Very well then carry on, I'll just enjoy the humour. :geek:
I want options... but only if they benefit me and my own personal needs. Also, don't complain or argue with me because then you're just being intentionally bitter about anything Disney does.

21stamps

Good discussion. I see where you are coming from but you are probably in a small minority. You want multiple bar/lounge options with a good vibe that aren't packed with kids but you can still bring your own kids. The problem is if too many people bring their kids in...it's packed with kids.

I'm not suggesting taking all of those options away from parents with kids. I laid out a simple example of CR with 4 lounges. If they made the Wave lounge adult only after 8PM parents with children could still eat/drink at the other 3 bars. The same can be said for GF and Poly (which already has an adult spot). I don't see that as a huge imposition on myself as a parent with kids but it provides an adults only option for those who want it.
There's only 3 in that area that are loungey without feeling like a "bar" in my opinion, and not too packed. GF really only has 2, one of which I'm not sure if it will remain open once Mizner's is back to normal. Maybe someone here has inside info on what will happen to the Garden View lounge. There was a few times where not one customer was inside. I felt sorry for the servers. I don't think a lot of people know about it yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's only 3 in that area that are loungey without feeling like a "bar" in my opinion, and not too packed. GF really only has 2, one of which I'm not sure if it will remain open once Mizner's is back to normal. Maybe someone here has inside info on what will happen to the Garden View lounge. There was a few times where not one customer was inside. I felt sorry for the servers. I don't think a lot of people know about it yet.
Maybe a simple answer is to add new bar/lounges for adults, similar to Trader Sams at some of the resorts. Either brand new construction or just a renovation of a simple bar area attached to an existing restaurant.

21stamps

Maybe a simple answer is to add new bar/lounges for adults, similar to Trader Sams at some of the resorts. Either brand new construction or just a renovation of a simple bar area attached to an existing restaurant.
They could add one to an area away from the monorail. I think it's perfect that the Boardwalk has one too...I didn't know about Caribbean Beach, I think someone said that had one as well. Maybe add another at AKL, OKW, or SSR.

Luxe

They could add one to an area away from the monorail. I think it's perfect that the Boardwalk has one too...I didn't know about Caribbean Beach, I think someone said that had one as well. Maybe add another at AKL, OKW, or SSR.
What's wrong with being on the monorail line? It lets people have a night out with some drinks and not have to worry about finding a way home and could prevent drunk driving. If anything it makes MORE sense to have adult lounges on the monorail line.

21stamps

What's wrong with being on the monorail line? It lets people have a night out with some drinks and not have to worry about finding a way home and could prevent drunk driving. If anything it makes MORE sense to have adult lounges on the monorail line.
I don't even understand your point. So you want lounges that only guests of 3 resorts can go to?
If not, then what's the difference if they are spread out?..making them more convenient to more people than just those on the Boardwalk and monorail, who each have an adult only place already...as well as plenty of places to order an adult beverage with or without reservations.
Like I said, I don't understand your question or the "MORE" sense comment whatsoever.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom