Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

I'm 39. My kid is 6. I've gone to WDW every year of my life minus the first 4 of his. So I have been on many more trips to Disney with adults than I have been as a mother. They are very, very different types of trips.

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of adults need a break from the stroller crowd!
Hear me out-
I don't think me and my kid are in the majority, but I do think there is a lot more of families now who's kids are accustomed to being in more adult settings, and know how to act in them. There are a lot of people who wait to have kids until later than previous generations, and who choose a more urban lifestyle and expose their children to several types of scenarios.

My kid has been ordering steamers and sushi etc since age 3. Sure he still eats chicken fingers some times, but he enjoys our "fancy nights" as he calls them. When you have a lounge or restaurant that has a menu of more expensive drinks and food, void of any of the chicken finger type stuff, you are already eliminating many families without putting a rule on who can or can not visit.

I know that kid's clubs and sitters are popular on a lot of vacations, but some of us work a lot, and our vacation time is the one chance to spend unlimited/uninterrupted time with our child/children. It's a nice evening to go to a more adult setting, let your kid order a fancy non alcoholic drink and an "adult" food... I know I used to enjoy it when my parents took us to do the same. It's a break from the hectic atmosphere while still spending QT.

@Bocabear if memory serves me correctly you own a house in KW. We love KW! Most of the restaurants we go to there are not over run with children..I choose them specifically for that reason. We also do Hard Rock bc that is a more family friendly atmosphere and he likes his fish sticks on a guitar shaped plate.

Point being, there can be a balance of atmosphere in lounges/restaurants without the 21+ requirement. I've been to plenty while in WDW during my adult trips. 2015 was the first time I ever dined with characters or in extremely loud restaurants at WDW as an adult.
Yes KW...and yes most of it is not Family Friendly...lol.. I love the fact that your child has an expanded viewpoint and eats interesting things.. Sounds like a great kid.
I think you just said it in your last paragraph...about having a balance... Currently there is no balance for those of us who visit and spend a lot of money at WDW... WDW has even createted a marketing campaign aimed at the empty-nesters... It would make sense for me to then expect WDW to have more of a balance of places for us to go where we are not overrun by the screaming stroller crowd...(And I am not implying that you are part of that...And I love that you guys appreciate an adult venue as well.... But do you see my point here? Basically One and a half Adult Venues in a resort with a ton of Family Friendly places... We just need more... I think Disney Springs new restaurants are helping, though I have to tell you, it would be a hard sell for me to go to the steakhouse and have a $70 steak and listen to screaming going on around me...

NearTheEars

There did used to be small, large, and then souvenir glass. And all that is left I believe is small. But in Oct the servings I got felt more like a 4oz taster pour I would get at a brewery than the 1/2 "pint" 6oz servings they used to be. Maybe it was just a different glass, but they sure felt small.

They look quite small for the price.

Edit: spelling error.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not saying Disney will overserve people anymore than anywhere else... just saying CMs don't fear the law.. they fear the mouse's retribution and Disney conditions front-line CMs to be mindless, smiling, zero decision making bots that are to call for assistance rather than risk making any decisions themselves.

21stamps

Yes KW...and yes most of it is not Family Friendly...lol.. I love the fact that your child has an expanded viewpoint and eats interesting things.. Sounds like a great kid.
I think you just said it in your last paragraph...about having a balance... Currently there is no balance for those of us who visit and spend a lot of money at WDW... WDW has even createted a marketing campaign aimed at the empty-nesters... It would make sense for me to then expect WDW to have more of a balance of places for us to go where we are not overrun by the screaming stroller crowd...(And I am not implying that you are part of that...And I love that you guys appreciate an adult venue as well.... But do you see my point here? Basically One and a half Adult Venues in a resort with a ton of Family Friendly places... We just need more... I think Disney Springs new restaurants are helping, though I have to tell you, it would be a hard sell for me to go to the steakhouse and have a $70 steak and listen to screaming going on around me...

I agree with you that Disney Springs should have at least 1 adult only option, I just would hate to see more at the resorts. It's frustrating to stay somewhere and have a place that you can't go, especially when the other restaurants are very difficult to get reservations for.

This one isn't 21+, but definitely check out the new Champagne and Wine lounge at GF next time you are there. In 6 nights I did not see one child in there. You may see mine sometime though..but I promise he won't be crying or throwing food from our cheese board. ;)

Re: The Key West not being family friendly...I have the argument CONSTANTLY that it is!!!! Or at least there is plenty to do for children there...especially off the island. What kid wouldn't think a trip to Dry Torugas is awesome?! Or spending a day boating and standing knee deep in the ocean miles from shore...Plus Ft Zach is fun history and beach day, then you have all of the museums, and delicious foods! It makes me sad when people say they won't take their kids there. No we aren't hanging out on Duval til 4am, or even 6 hours earlier. What's the worse that you see during the day time? A man dressed as a woman..one whom you can't even tell is a man? No harm, no foul there.
@21stamps there would be no need for "Adults Only" places if Disney would just enforced dress codes.

Dress Codes and no kids menus would cull the herd at the signatures.

So obviously that won't happen.

They should do it for at least 2 of them. My opinion. You're probably right though, doubt it will happen.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I agree with you that Disney Springs should have at least 1 adult only option, I just would hate to see more at the resorts. It's frustrating to stay somewhere and have a place that you can't go, especially when the other restaurants are very difficult to get reservations for.

This one isn't 21+, but definitely check out the new Champagne and Wine lounge at GF next time you are there. In 6 nights I did not see one child in there. You may see mine sometime though..but I promise he won't be crying or throwing food from our cheese board. ;)

They should do it for at least 2 of them. My opinion. You're probably right though, doubt it will happen.
California Grill and Citricos would be great choices for less kid friendly dining. Artist Pointe needs a serious upgrade as well.

Rodan75

Honestly, I think they should do more things like TS that have a family time and an adult time. To your point, let you and your child experience the venue during the day into early evening and then let the adults have an oasis later into the evening.

Bocabear

Re: The Key West not being family friendly...I have the argument CONSTANTLY that it is!!!! Or at least there is plenty to do for children there...especially off the island. What kid wouldn't think a trip to Dry Torugas is awesome?! Or spending a day boating and standing knee deep in the ocean miles from shore...Plus Ft Zach is fun history and beach day, then you have all of the museums, and delicious foods! It makes me sad when people say they won't take their kids there. No we aren't hanging out on Duval til 4am, or even 6 hours earlier. What's the worse that you see during the day time? A man dressed as a woman..one whom you can't even tell is a man? No harm, no foul there.

I agree Key West has lots of things for kids to do...but in the evenings, especially during the big events like Fantasy Fest, it is decidedly NOT kid friendly... Last Fantasy Fest we were down there for, there were lots of people who brought their kids to the parade... I gues they did not realize it was rife with body paint and assless chaps... And I think Key West is a place that maby needs more things for the kids to do away from Duval.. But I do agree, lots of great activities in and around for kids to do...I know many adults that grew up in that environment, and they turned out exceptionally well...

21stamps

Honestly, I think they should do more things like TS that have a family time and an adult time. To your point, let you and your child experience the venue during the day into early evening and then let the adults have an oasis later into the evening.

Please don't give Disney this idea. Please don't condemn me to character meal only choices past 8pm. We enjoy the lounges! If you took them all away then it would have a negative impact on several people's vacation I would think. I usually don't like when people say "I'm spending a ton of money at WDW..." but in this case I do feel that way. With how much a parent spends to go there, they should have the option for a "children allowed", but not necessarily "children encouraged", lounge after a day at the parks. You guys can have your Trader Sam's, V&A, (I thought there was a 3rd in the Boardwalk area?), and Disney should add at least one or two more 21+ at DS...just leave me something that isn't over run with kids.lol
California Grill and Citricos would be great choices for less kid friendly dining. Artist Pointe needs a serious upgrade as well.
Agree. I have never been to Citricos though...the decor would make me lose my appetite.lol

21stamps

I agree Key West has lots of things for kids to do...but in the evenings, especially during the big events like Fantasy Fest, it is decidedly NOT kid friendly... Last Fantasy Fest we were down there for, there were lots of people who brought their kids to the parade... I gues they did not realize it was rife with body paint and assless chaps... And I think Key West is a place that maby needs more things for the kids to do away from Duval.. But I do agree, lots of great activities in and around for kids to do...I know many adults that grew up in that environment, and they turned out exceptionally well...
Yeah, I don't go there during that week now. I have plenty of friends who live there so obviously their children are in KW at that time, but they keep them away from Duval for sure.

Rodan75

Please don't give Disney this idea. Please don't condemn me to character meal only choices past 8pm. We enjoy the lounges! If you took them all away then it would have a negative impact on several people's vacation I would think. I usually don't like when people say "I'm spending a ton of money at WDW..." but in this case I do feel that way. With how much a parent spends to go there, they should have the option for a "children allowed", but not necessarily "children encouraged", lounge after a day at the parks. You guys can have your Trader Sam's, V&A, (I thought there was a 3rd in the Boardwalk area?), and Disney should add at least one or two more 21+ at DS...just leave me something that isn't over run with kids.lol

Agree. I have never been to Citricos though...the decor would make me lose my appetite.lol

I'm not saying every lounge should be that way. But there should be more than there is today. And you may be right about AbracadaBar, it is still pretty new, I don't know much about it.

Astro Blaster

Just don't go into Rose & Crown pub on NYE. Two years in a row I found puke running down the red velvet curtains near the brass trashcan inside. The place was crammed with people the entire night and I don't think one single custodial CM was brave enough to enter that place.
I don't know how, but until recently I didn't even realize Epcot NYE was a thing. I definitely want to go sometime, though I guess I should watch my step.

21stamps

Doesn't the Boardwalk also have the Dueling Pianos bar which is 21+ with a cover? Just adding in one other spot which I believe is considered adults only.
I knew I wasn't crazy... just looked it up. It is 21+ only.

I just can't imagine that there are many kids at Mizner's, Citricos, Territory Lounge, Garden View Champagne and Wine Room, Trader Sam's before 8, and a few others that I haven't been to.. if there are I definitely have not seen them.. at least not the ones I mentioned during September 2015 or late Nov- early December 2016.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think there is an argument to be made for some WDW restaurants to be 8+ after say 8pm because most 8 y/is and up while fidgety can sit with adults and learn the techniques of dining out most kids this age gave up screaming years ago. The problems arise when parents bring an exhausted toddler into a restaurant and then the poor kid is both overtired and overstimulated and the meltdowns ensue.

I remember one incident where the server was so frazzled by a couple of kids having a meltdown she asked me if I wanted anything I said yes bring a roll of duck tape to the table over there. She broke down laughing.

But seriously there is a huge divide between screaming toddlers and 21+ and I think Disney needs to start addressing this with at least some restaurants being no infants/toddlers after 8PM which would allow families with children to have a no screaming environment

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom