The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
20 million? We are talking about people that is right? The Magic Kingdom doesn't even draw that many guests.

The whole discussion of numbers here is a bit insane since the companies do not release them and most folks in the business take them with a ton of salt. So many things are more important than simply how many folks walked in and out of Park A this year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, I have paid those amounts and more. I do not like it but I am not sorry. I did it because I could afford it. I do not like Orlando so if I am going to go to Disney I am going to stay on property regardless of the cost. On my next trip down, I plan on going to Universal for a few days and might even stay there as opposed to Disney.

If you don't like O-Town, then why visit WDW? You could visit DLR or take a DCL voyage or not do a Disney visit at all? Did you not feel like you were being royally screwed by paying those rates? Did you consider the Swan/Dolphin or Waldorf or DD Hotels if location was so important? Please, don't take these questions the wrong way. I'm just very curious as to why someone would ever pay $550 for a standard hotel room in Orlando.

I have travelled extensively since I was born. I realize that the cost for a Disney stay is usually way over the cost of a stay at most places. I like that I can take the family there and turn off my brain for a while, have fun and not have worries. I have been to some places over the years that are awesome but you have to keep your wits about you or things could go bad fast.

I have fun at WDW with my kids but once they are all grown and gone, WDW will probably drop from my “places to go this year” list.

To be fair, things can get bad at WDW very quickly if you opt to turn your brain off too ...especially with kids.

So, you are saying that WDW really holds little interest for you beyond being a place your children enjoy?

WDWFigment

So, this is going to bother my pal @WDWFigment, who to be fair disappeared from this thread and site when I compared him to @KevinYee (who also doesn't check in here much anymore), but while DSP may be the ugliest park in the Disney UNIverse and least photogenic (at any time of the day!), I will quite boldly say it is worlds better than TPFKaTD-MGMS in terms of actual attractions.

The FL Studios park has four attractions that I have any interest in now (perfect for FP+ and dropping in for three hours and spending no money at all) while the Parisian Studios has eight (possibly nine) and a short parade that brings back happy memories.

It doesn't bother me, and I haven't disappeared. I haven't been checking in as much because whenever I do, it seems like the same posters are rambling on about the same things. That, plus the "summer style" posting is in full swing around the forums lately. To be fair, though, I have to say that @PhotoDave219's Diagon Alley review was one of the most insightful and exciting posts I've read in a while.

As for WDSP v. DHS, I disagree with your numbers (4 v. 8), but I do agree that however you count, WDSP has more. My issue with WDSP is--as you point out--that it's ugly. Saying it "may" be the ugliest Disney park is an understatement. There are amusement parks that outdo it in terms of design. Obviously aesthetics matter a lot to me because of the photos, but even before I got into photography, I've felt that the defining characteristic of a theme park is the design. Attractions--without a doubt--are incredibly important, but for me, design is right up there. I think this is especially true for regulars, as there are only so many times you can do any particular attraction before you need an alternative reason to come back. For me, that sense of place is the reason I enjoy visiting so much. That's why I still love Epcot, even as it is a shell of its former self. To each their own, but that's my take.

As for WDSP's design, the entrance to that park is insultingly bad, and I think it was a huge mistake not to do a DCA-style relaunch with the Ratatioulle area plus a new front entrance. I'm not sure what could be done due to how Tower of Terror was just sort of plopped down, but I'm sure something could be done. The rest of the park feels like a parking lot with some rides plopped down, and even its (former) flagship attraction, Crusher's Coaster, I feel is overrated.

Of course, it doesn't help WDSP that the second most beautiful Disney park in the world is right next door, which makes it look even worse by comparison. Heck, I'll bet Thunder Mesa/Frontierland cost more to construct than the entirety of WDSP when it opened!

Now, before anyone thinks this is some defense of DHS, it's not. DHS has a ton of problems and is in dire need of serious work, but in terms of design, I think it's worlds ahead of WDSP. With that said, when looking at the whole picture in a "for what they are" sense, I would be very tempted to put Typhoon Lagoon ahead of both studios parks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
LOL no way in hell WDI will ever touch what Universal is accomplishing. Even their best and brightest like crazy earring guy simply don't have the ambition and passion to create experiences that people actually *want* to see.

WDI is a black hole.

Um ... WDI already did. You've been there. TDS ring a bell? Or even DLP when it was new. Or EPCOT Center in the 80s.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for Diagon Alley. It appears to be the smash that most of us predicted, but unbridled enthusiasm is dangerous. It's not like UNI can do no wrong (I'd argue and have that Kong isn't what should be coming next) and there was a time when it seemed like Disney could do no wrong too, and it didn't last.

Cars Land and Buena Vista Street are certainly on par with Potter 1.0. Have no idea how much the bar was raised with 2.0, but look forward to finding out soon!

PhotoDave219

It doesn't bother me, and I haven't disappeared. I haven't been checking in as much because whenever I do, it seems like the same posters are rambling on about the same things. That, plus the "summer style" posting is in full swing around the forums lately. To be fair, though, I have to say that @PhotoDave219's Diagon Alley review was one of the most insightful and exciting posts I've read in a while.

As for WDSP v. DHS, I disagree with your numbers (4 v. 8), but I do agree that however you count, WDSP has more. My issue with WDSP is--as you point out--that it's ugly. Saying it "may" be the ugliest Disney park is an understatement. There are amusement parks that outdo it in terms of design. Obviously aesthetics matter a lot to me because of the photos, but even before I got into photography, I've felt that the defining characteristic of a theme park is the design. Attractions--without a doubt--are incredibly important, but for me, design is right up there. I think this is especially true for regulars, as there are only so many times you can do any particular attraction before you need an alternative reason to come back. For me, that sense of place is the reason I enjoy visiting so much. That's why I still love Epcot, even as it is a shell of its former self. To each their own, but that's my take.

As for WDSP's design, the entrance to that park is insultingly bad, and I think it was a huge mistake not to do a DCA-style relaunch with the Ratatioulle area plus a new front entrance. I'm not sure what could be done due to how Tower of Terror was just sort of plopped down, but I'm sure something could be done. The rest of the park feels like a parking lot with some rides plopped down, and even its (former) flagship attraction, Crusher's Coaster, I feel is overrated.

Of course, it doesn't help WDSP that the second most beautiful Disney park in the world is right next door, which makes it look even worse by comparison. Heck, I'll bet Thunder Mesa/Frontierland cost more to construct than the entirety of WDSP when it opened!

Now, before anyone thinks this is some defense of DHS, it's not. DHS has a ton of problems and is in dire need of serious work, but in terms of design, I think it's worlds ahead of WDSP. With that said, when looking at the whole picture in a "for what they are" sense, I would be very tempted to put Typhoon Lagoon ahead of both studios parks.

Thanks tom.

You'd like it. Good visuals.

WDWFigment

Thanks tom.

You'd like it. Good visuals.

I've made a futile attempt to avoid photos of the land itself, but that has been downright impossible. Fortunately, most people seem to be focusing on the dragon and London waterfront with photos, so I still haven't seen too much.

I already am planning a visit down for later this year. I've done a lot of research into ticket prices, and it sounds like just buying an AP is probably the most pragmatic move. I loved Universal as a kid, and even though my favorite attractions are gone, they still look like great parks.

Now, the only question is whether to get the mid-tier AP or the highest one. I doubt I will be able to make it for HHN this year, so that makes the decision a little easier, but I'm wondering how "necessary" Express Pass is. Anyone have any insight?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have no knowledge about anything to do with Sam Lau. I do, however, know that GM's have almost no money to play with, other than funding some CM break room refurb or buying some new pool furniture and the like. Anything more than that, they have to request funding. So talking about them being asked to fund transportation improvements is totally ludicrous.

Do you know why vacuuming is no longer done regularly in WDW Resort rooms? Nothing like paying eight times more than a nice room off-property costs and getting a room with filthy carpet. I know Georgie likes clean carpet, so what's the deal?

Astro Blaster

Parking lot with rides plopped down - that's exactly how I feel about WDSP. Posted that very thing a few months ago actually.
Yes WDSP kind of seems like a parking lot with attractions plopped here and there. I get that the theming is "movie studio lot" but at least make me feel like I'm in Hollywood or something. Palm trees, mountains in the background, the SoCal feel would be great. I realize that Disneyland itself is in SoCal, but almost anything would be better than "parking lot."

That being said, the Disneyland Paris park is beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to DLP when I was there back in June.

Edit: YES I think I started to take a liking to it because of the music as well. I still have this guitar riff stuck in my head. No idea what the full song is.

PhotoDave219

I've made a futile attempt to avoid photos of the land itself, but that has been downright impossible. Fortunately, most people seem to be focusing on the dragon and London waterfront with photos, so I still haven't seen too much.

I already am planning a visit down for later this year. I've done a lot of research into ticket prices, and it sounds like just buying an AP is probably the most pragmatic move. I loved Universal as a kid, and even though my favorite attractions are gone, they still look like great parks.

Now, the only question is whether to get the mid-tier AP or the highest one. I doubt I will be able to make it for HHN this year, so that makes the decision a little easier, but I'm wondering how "necessary" Express Pass is. Anyone have any insight?

I suggest the midtier one. It's what I've had.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How would Disney have standing to bring suit?

Don't ask me legal questions, I am not a lawyer (still have my soul, thanks!)

All I know is Universal parks didn't pay NBC for ad time. And folks at TWDC (this is very high, so I'd say Bob Iger) saw all the not so subtle UNI touches and decided to be petty. I don't know much more, but I know my source is going to see this so maybe I'll get some more info.

PhotoDave219

Also, I kept my photos on the wire and kept them mostly off Instagram.

No need to post spoilers.

WDWFigment

Parking lot with rides plopped down - that's exactly how I feel about WDSP. Posted that very thing a few months ago actually.

Ha, that's great. In a blog post I wrote last October titled, "Is the Walt Disney Studios Park a Disney Theme Park?" I wrote: "This is part of the reason why people prefer actual parks to a collection of rides set up at the edge of Wal-Mart parking lots (beyond just the general shady feel of the latter)."

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh please, talking about hotels and timeshares in a Housing report when they half-heartedly talk over any action about actual impact the District and its "main landowner" have on housing in the area for those that work in the District's businesses (the main focus, but full of meaningless fluff) is about as genuine as me mumbling sorry after I run over someone with a stroller/ECV. Of course, we all know the reason the District was created for, so something like this shouldn't necessarily be a surprise.

Anyway...

I am also very interested in hearing more about the little tantrum Disney threw about the Tonight Show. That seems kind of stupid on their part, as I'm sure Universal could (and maybe will) come back after the Christmas day parade that really is nothing more than a Disney Parks commercial.

I don't see how the parade is in any danger as Disney P&R buys time from ABC to air it and it is, obviously, advertising for the Resort. But there are other things where Disney gets free publicity and injects WDW, I'm just thinking of ESPN coverage in spring training for one small example, where Comcast could give it right back to the Mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom