The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Kinda sorta not related but yes. My friend ..borrowed a really cool "movie" that was made from splicing the first three episodes (phantom menace, attack of the clones, and revenge of the sith) together, cutting all the unnecessary bs out. It was so much easier to watch than watching each alone. And jar jar had about 15 seconds of screen time. ( and I highly recommend a trip to your favorite pirates liar to see that, it really is rather cool)

Yep, PhotoDave beat me to it. Wasn't sure if using miceChat by name was allowed or not, so I went with MC. but if you're going to read it, start with part one! It's one of the better multi-part articles they've done in a long while.
Thank you!!!
Soooo, even after reading (skimming) ALL these universal vs Disney posts, I really had no plans to go see the Harry Potter stuff (though I'm a book fan). I've actually kinda avoided finding out more. After reading the MC stuff and seeing the pics, I'm leaning that way!! That's how it starts. We are WDW annual pass holders and die hard Disney people but HP is impressive.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I believe it should read "with fronds like these, who needs anemones".

Seriously WDW74 can be harsh at times because he tires of us experts that come down to Otown once a year, hear bus drivers stories that we all know is a scoop fact and want to show we are smarter. The guy has sound business acumen, a different take that is not all is perfect, and he has fun. Do not like it, don't read it. offended sorry, but it is refreshing to hear frank statements.

Thanks. I think you get me quite well. You should join the conversations more often, no matter your opinion. :)

Snowflake82

Two entirely different articles. I'm actually more interested in reading the one from the financial perspective… I'm interested in Wall Street's take.

I'm not sure if they are unaware or simply failing to grasp the idea that this new expansion will result in parents taking their kids they're implying more merchandise then you could imagine. Remember the old days, when the old joke was you would walk out of Magic Kingdom with Mickey Mouse everything… Armfuls of merchandise in the whatnot? Well kids will be walking out of universal studios with there. Potter robes and magic wands and novelties from the joke store and the butter beer cups and anything else you could imagine that's merchandised is… there's only one place in America you can get this and it's at Universal.

Universal has taken merchantainment to a level that Paul Pressler would lose his **** over.

What everyone does fail to grasp is that this isn't about rides, it isn't about butter beer, it isn't about the shops. It's about transporting the guest to a fantasy world that immerses them entirely. It's a world these kids are growing up with and learning about in school.

In my opinion? It's going to be more successful than the first.

We are planning to go to Universal in August. My youngest is a HP fan, and adores dressing in costumes and role-playing. I already know I will be springing for one of the interactive wands, and likely a robe and other items in Hogwarts house colors. (And yes, they will get worn after we get home, too.) We have already been discussing which flavors of ice cream we want to try. The kids have only the vaguest idea of the Gringotts ride; they are primarily looking forward to immersing themselves in the environment they've seen in the movies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Never said he wasn't quite extremely knowledgeable. Just saying that ridicule or degrading are not really good debating tools unless, of course, you're running for political office. Debate involves counter points, not name calling and labeling in a demeaning manner. That just makes it seem more like middle school bullying.

Two things: one, I was a state debate champion, so I know exactly how to frame an argument properly for a given audience. Two, having been bullied as a child and by everyone from co-workers to police officers to Disney execs as an adult, I do NOT appreciate being labeled as such. I hate bullies. I am no bully. ... But I have a very low tolerance for fools and ignorance.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Still not as much fun as the time Faraci wrote a long piece explaining why Wall-E is a date rapist. :cool:

(I don't think our Jungle Skipper friend has been following Devin very long or he'd know not to engage him. I still remember the brutal wars he got into re: the above and the third act of Batman Begins on CHUD.)

Skipper Sean hasn't shown he is the most balanced individual in the Twitverse himself ... funny how people who leave here tend to be a bit off-balance (no comments on the folks who remain! :) )

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree up until this paragraph. I would like to know who are the "tons" of people who think that Walt Disney World only consists of the Magic Kingdom and aren't aware other parks exist. There's always going to be an exceptional few, but "tons" implies that many are not aware of this, and I don't believe that is true.

Fantasyland, Dumbo, princesses etc are getting a lot of commercials because that is the newest addition to the Magic Kingdom, not because Disney World is defined by Fantasyland. I would say perhaps for a specific age range, (girls 3-9 maybe) that Fantasyland is the "must-see" attraction, but Disney classics aren't segregated to Fantasyland.

I think youcould argue for a specific age-group, Disney World is defined by Fantasyland, but even then for that age group who likes princesses, they can find the princesses in a lot of other places throughout the parks.

WDW is marketed and advertised now, largely, as the place with the castle and princesses and the beloved Disney characters. They absolutely the MK above all and, yes, many folks view it as "Dizzy World' ...

bhg469

[/QUOTE]
Thank you!!!
Soooo, even after reading (skimming) ALL these universal vs Disney posts, I really had no plans to go see the Harry Potter stuff (though I'm a book fan). I've actually kinda avoided finding out more. After reading the MC stuff and seeing the pics, I'm leaning that way!! That's how it starts. We are WDW annual pass holders and die hard Disney people but HP is impressive.
I will never let disney be my only park ever again. A multi day pass is wasted on me but with fp+ I feel like it's their way to make sure you can't do everything you must do in one day.

I used to be die hard but I figured out that universal is doing now, what I fell in love with disney for. They are just utilizing the strategy that I want, meaning more attractions and less fluff.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 (or any other knowledgeable insider): all sorts of rumors swirling in the Orlando entertainment community re: "The Observatory," i.e. what Planet Hollywood is supposed to become in Disney Springs. Specifically, that it may feature interactive improv comedy.

Will the restaurant still be run by PH, or is it reverting back to Disney? Have you heard anything about the finished product?

I don't know. Will ask around. Maybe others here do?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom