The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I also suspect that having a fire breathing dragon just a few feet away from a crowd of adults and children in a parade requires a lot more conservative approach then one that is way over head and can't do any accidental damage. Let's compare apples to apples.

Overhead ... You mean like the the falling tree of life?

Let's compare ambition and drive... Because someone looks hungry... And someone looks timid

Goofyernmost

Not really talking about the pyro fx as much as the overall design, though.
OK, but without the fire it's just a statue isn't it. So let's again factor in a moving object as apposed to a stationary, out of the range of harm prop. As a stationary prop, the Tree of Life is pretty impressive. Don't get me wrong, I think that Diagon is a very impressive place and may just have moved the bar up on the original bar holder quite a distance. But the comparison is not really a comparison without the details.

Goofyernmost

Overhead ... You mean like the the falling tree of life?

Let's compare ambition and drive... Because someone looks hungry... And someone looks timid
I'm sure that they planned the problem with the tree. Do you have any proof that the wing won't fall off the thing 20 years from now. Using a freak incident to put down a company is just searching for something to be critical about. We all know just how good 20/20 hindsight can be. It's hard to be wrong. Where were you when the built it warning them of the possible chance that something might fail?

bhg469

Timid. Over-confident. Whatever.
I would love to know which is true, IMO, it's the latter.

They really don't try that hard anymore but at the rate universal is going they are going to take enough people off site to make a dent. It will happen as long as hotel rooms are reasonable and there are world class attractions and the keep it fresh. They're doing everything right. Disney is doing great things to make money for their shareholders, and that's where everything ends.

bhg469

I used to watch Comic Book Men to get my mind off of zombies before bed. I prefer my nerds Wil Wheaton style though. Kevin Smith just irritates me when he's not being silent.

To make up for my derailment, DA (Diagon Alley or Dumbledore's Army?) Looks wonderful!
Kevin Smith is really an amazing talker. His live shows are really good and while comic book men is not great, his podcast Hollywood babble on is very good.

Lee

Adventurer
At the risk of going too far off topic, I tried to watch Comic Book Men. But I could not because it was awful. Worse than awful. It was like those Real Housewife shows for middle-aged dudes. Which as a middle aged dude, I can not abide (unintentional Lebowski reference!). Back when he first appeared on the scene, I had so much hope for Kevin Smith's career. But now, I can barely look at the guy. And whoever decided his loser friends should be given even one second of air time needs to be fired.

So, in summary, I hate Comic Book Men.
Props for the Dude reference.
But, I disagree about Kevin Smith. He's done a good job with the podcast business, which I never thought would work. Plus his scripts are far better these days. (Red State was well written and Tusk is....ummmm...interesting.:jawdrop:)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm sure that they planned the problem with the tree. Do you have any proof that the wing won't fall off the thing 20 years from now. Using a freak incident to put down a company is just searching for something to be critical about. We all know just how good 20/20 hindsight can be. It's hard to be wrong. Where were you when the built it warning them of the possible chance that something might fail?

No I'm talking about your statement that something above the crowd is simple. So simple that Disney doesn't do those effects anymore...

If you can't look at this shot...
15yadlh.jpg

Or see that dragon effect and not get excited you need to get your head out of mickey's butt

lebeau

Kevin Smith is really an amazing talker. His live shows are really good and while comic book men is not great, his podcast Hollywood babble on is very good.

Smith is a great personality. But he has reached a level of smug self-congratulation that I just want to punch him in the face every time he opens his mouth.

When he first started telling behind-the-scenes stories, I thought they were clever and entertaining. His tale of writing the Tim Burton Superman was very funny and shows just how bad movies get made (or in that case thankfully do not).

But now, the dude barely makes movies. I think he keeps his toe in the water primarily so he can keep generating material. And most of what I have seen is him trashing people he has worked with or almost worked with. I mean, I'm all for calling out Chevy Chase and Bruce Willis. But it seems like that's all Smith does anymore besides brag about being a major pothead.

Goofyernmost

No I'm talking about your statement that something above the crowd is simple. So simple that Disney doesn't do those effects anymore...

If you can't look at this shot...
15yadlh.jpg

Or see that dragon effect and not get excited you need to get your head out of mickey's butt
Unfreaking believable. If you really believe that my head is up mickey's butt then one of two things are happening here, either you don't completely read my posts or you have your head someplace else.

I just finished saying that I thought that this raised the bar well over mickey's head and you come out with a statement like that. Flynn, I try really hard to have a logical discussion with you, but, you are so bent on discrediting me that you just lash out at everything I put on there. So continue this conversation with your own ego and leave me out. It's just not worth my time.

lebeau

Props for the Dude reference.
But, I disagree about Kevin Smith. He's done a good job with the podcast business, which I never thought would work. Plus his scripts are far better these days. (Red State was well written and Tusk is....ummmm...interesting.:jawdrop:)

I liked Red State okay despite its many, many flaws. Haven't seen Tusk.

When Red State came out, I wrote an article called Betrayed by Kevin Smith. It pretty much sums up my thoughts on the guy. Such a waste of talent!

LithiumBill

Smith is a great personality. But he has reached a level of smug self-congratulation that I just want to punch him in the face every time he opens his mouth.

When he first started telling behind-the-scenes stories, I thought they were clever and entertaining. His tale of writing the Tim Burton Superman was very funny and shows just how bad movies get made (or in that case thankfully do not).

But now, the dude barely makes movies. I think he keeps his toe in the water primarily so he can keep generating material. And most of what I have seen is him trashing people he has worked with or almost worked with. I mean, I'm all for calling out Chevy Chase and Bruce Willis. But it seems like that's all Smith does anymore besides brag about being a major pothead.
You don't listen enough or are not paying attention then... He produces more content than ever with his podcasts. And after loosing confidence in himself with Zak and Miri and Cop Out, he's now gotten back into film making pretty much full time, just on smaller budgets and IMO bigger impact movies for him. Red State was amazing and the next movie TUSK is based off a podcast, and is a horror flick that sounds pretty interesting. He's currently working on a X-Mas based horror anthology like Creepshow, and after that is Clerk's 3.

He's not your typical DO NOTHING stoner, he is actually more productive than ever.

Love or hate him, he is NOT lazy.

articos

do the folks at WDI look at DA and say" wow that's pretty good"
We (meaning the whole industry, WDI included) have been talking amongst ourselves for the past 7 or 8 months getting excited over how good this project really is. The past week has been all of us industry-ites basically fan-boi'ing like you wouldn't believe. ;) Those who have been inside and have toured are in love with the detail, and those who haven't are drooling to get in just as much as everyone else, if not more. :) If you like detail, this will blow your mind. And that's before you get into Gringott's or get on the train. It's really that good. It's DisneySea/the first time you rode Indy good.

So, yes, the people at WDI look at Diagon and go "that's totally awesome!!!". ;)

LithiumBill

At the risk of going too far off topic, I tried to watch Comic Book Men. But I could not because it was awful. Worse than awful. It was like those Real Housewife shows for middle-aged dudes. Which as a middle aged dude, I can not abide (unintentional Lebowski reference!). Back when he first appeared on the scene, I had so much hope for Kevin Smith's career. But now, I can barely look at the guy. And whoever decided his loser friends should be given even one second of air time needs to be fired.

So, in summary, I hate Comic Book Men.
I am a Smith fan, and I too hate that show. It's forced and boring.

lebeau

You don;t listen enough or are not paying attention then... He produces more content than ever with his podcasts. And after loosing confidence in himself with Zak and Miri and Cop Out, he's now gotten back into film making pretty much full time, just on smaller budgets and IMO bigger impact movies for him. Red State was amazing and the next movie TUSK is based off a pdocast, and is a horro flick that sounds pretty interesting. He's currently working on a X-Mas based horro anthology like Creepshow, and after that is Clerk's 3.

He's not your typical DO NOTHING stoner, he is actually more productive than ever.

Love or hate him, he is NOT lazy.

Admittedly, I am not listening or paying attention to Smith at all. In fact, I actively try to ignore him these days.

I'll give him props where they are due. The guy isn't lazy and he is very successful. His podcast may be excellent. I don't really listen to podcasts so I wouldn't know. It's definitely popular.

I disagree that Red State was amazing. I liked it, but I felt like Smith's reach far exceeded his grasp. As a director, Smith is a talented writer. I am curious to see what he has up his sleeve next. Didn't he announce his retirement a couple years ago?

Clerks 3 seems like a really bad idea. Reeks of desperation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom