The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

lebeau

You mean to tell me that people packing 2 theme parks to get a glimpse of all the shops, and attractions, may spend money? Impossible! Everyone knows all the money is in 3 hour meet and greet lines.

Here's the thing. At Universal, you actually need to open up your wallet to spend money. Nobody does that anymore! In the 21st century, it's all about bands! Bands I tell you!

What guests want is to have to wear a bracelet during their entire vacation, hold it up against a monitor, be told the cashier wasn't ready, wait for them to do something, try again, maybe try a couple more times and then enter a PIN. Oh yeah, they have to make up and remember a PIN for the whole trip too. And then, sometimes the bands don't work. But it's soooooo much more convenient than carrying around cash or credit like people do every single day of their lives.

No one's going to want to deal with 20th century monetary exchanges at Universal when they can have magical transactions with the Mouse!

lebeau

And the sad thing is, it is so far away yet I believe universal will be either opening potter 3 and be very close to a 3rd gate by then.

No, no, no. They are closing American Idol. Clearly that can only mean that Disney has decided to invest in a Star Wars project at the same time they are building Avatar at Animal Kingdom. Because Disney does things like that.

I'm heavy on the sarcasm this morning. Better get some coffee.

Nemo14

Here's the thing. At Universal, you actually need to open up your wallet to spend money. Nobody does that anymore! In the 21st century, it's all about bands! Bands I tell you!

What guests want is to have to wear a bracelet during their entire vacation, hold it up against a monitor, be told the cashier wasn't ready, wait for them to do something, try again, maybe try a couple more times and then enter a PIN. Oh yeah, they have to make up and remember a PIN for the whole trip too. And then, sometimes the bands don't work. But it's soooooo much more convenient than carrying around cash or credit like people do every single day of their lives.

No one's going to want to deal with 20th century monetary exchanges at Universal when they can have magical transactions with the Mouse!

Yeah, and let's see Universal try to top this:
941743599615405914498fbbf7c6f61a.jpg

lebeau

Yeah, and let's see Universal try to top this:
941743599615405914498fbbf7c6f61a.jpg

Well, dinos... dragons... I mean this is basically on par with Diagon Alley, right? They're basically the same thing. But does Diagon Alley have carnival games? Like I can play at the fair that pops up in the parking lot at the local shopping center? Not the good one but the one no one shops at any more? Does Universal have those? No sir.

And don't forget the 2-minute kiddie coaster with one show scene. That's an e-ticket mountain for sure. An "instant classic" I am told by pixie dusters everywhere. I mean, my kids didn't want to ride it a second time. So I scolded them for losing sight of the magic as any good parent would.

articos

It would be nice if they put the set into storage and made it a yearly or every other year thing for the Tonight Show to come to Orlando. The audiences have been so enthusiastic and it shows on TV. I have a friend who has worked on some of the shoots this week and everyone she has talked to from the show, even though they have been working there off, have had nothing but nice things to say about there stay this week. Just wish I could have gotten tickets to a taping.
The set will be put in storage for reuse. Whether Tonight decides to come back is up to them. I'm hoping it becomes an annual visit as much as you are. It's mostly a budget decision. TS has to have the money to do the trip, and Universal Orlando has to kick in also.

lebeau

I learned this on Comicbook Men... someone tried to sell Star Wars collectibles from the 90s.

At the risk of going too far off topic, I tried to watch Comic Book Men. But I could not because it was awful. Worse than awful. It was like those Real Housewife shows for middle-aged dudes. Which as a middle aged dude, I can not abide (unintentional Lebowski reference!). Back when he first appeared on the scene, I had so much hope for Kevin Smith's career. But now, I can barely look at the guy. And whoever decided his loser friends should be given even one second of air time needs to be fired.

So, in summary, I hate Comic Book Men.

Mike S

At the risk of going too far off topic, I tried to watch Comic Book Men. But I could not because it was awful. Worse than awful. It was like those Real Housewife shows for middle-aged dudes. Which as a middle aged dude, I can not abide (unintentional Lebowski reference!). Back when he first appeared on the scene, I had so much hope for Kevin Smith's career. But now, I can barely look at the guy. And whoever decided his loser friends should be given even one second of air time needs to be fired.

Just for that, you get a like.

Witchy Chick

I'm still wondering why Disney does not put limitations on Stroller size.

They do -- sort of. About a year ago, Disney decreed off-site stroller (and ECV) rentals could only be from a handful of vendors. I believe there is a list on Disney's convoluted website somewhere.......

Well, dinos... dragons... I mean this is basically on par with Diagon Alley, right? They're basically the same thing. But does Diagon Alley have carnival games? Like I can play at the fair that pops up in the parking lot at the local shopping center? Not the good one but the one no one shops at any more? Does Universal have those? No sir.

And don't forget the 2-minute kiddie coaster with one show scene. That's an e-ticket mountain for sure. An "instant classic" I am told by pixie dusters everywhere. I mean, my kids didn't want to ride it a second time. So I scolded them for losing sight of the magic as any good parent would.

GO. GET. YOUR. COFFEE.

:p

dupac

I used to watch Comic Book Men to get my mind off of zombies before bed. I prefer my nerds Wil Wheaton style though. Kevin Smith just irritates me when he's not being silent.

To make up for my derailment, DA (Diagon Alley or Dumbledore's Army?) Looks wonderful!

Goofyernmost

One was designed by the team from the movie in conjunction with the best in the themed entertainment business, the other was outsourced. Cheaply.
***I should amend this, though - it was outsourced to the main company which builds parade floats for everyone now, which is a company that also did work for Diagon. It's just a difference in the money spent, the intent and the oversight. Disney just didn't put the creative power into this, and then they didn't spend the money, and they were happy with what they got. On the other hand, Universal is just playing in a different league.
I also suspect that having a fire breathing dragon just a few feet away from a crowd of adults and children in a parade requires a lot more conservative approach then one that is way over head and can't do any accidental damage. Let's compare apples to apples.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom