Disneyhead'71

Well, it's actually a simulation of a train, being pulled back and forth by cables; with a bunch of video screens that will rapidly fill up with grimy handprints and remnants of butter-beer. I can only imagine what kind of abuse will be inflicted by the hoards during the Halloween Horror Nights.
Actually, it is 2 -168 passenger Doppelmyer commuter trains that are used as public trasport in many cities around the globe. With state of the art parallaxes glassesless 3D monitors for windows. But hey why try? The guests will muck it up! They should just stick with fish with mechanical spinny flipper as not to embarrass the Mouse King.

Turtle

1. Mission to Mars
  2. Star Tours
  3. Body Wars
  4. Wonder Cycles
  5. Mission: SPACE
  6. Soarin'
  7. Toy Story Midway Mania!
  8. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
If you want to argue. The first four you've mentioned are no longer in the parks. Disney truly has three simulators (Soarin', Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Mission: SPACE).
Toy Story Midway Mania! is not a strict simulator, it moves and spins taking you from screen to screen with [very minimal] sets. If you are to consider Toy Story Midway Mania! to be a simulator, then you should also consider: Transformers: The Ride 3-D, The Amazing Adventures Spiderman, and even Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey would qualify.

and for the record, those attractions are great and should not be labeled simulators

So now, let's look at it with Toy Story Midway Mania being a simulator:

Walt Disney World
1. Toy Story Midway Mania!
2. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
3. Mission: SPACE
4. Soarin'

Universal Orlando
1. Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
2. The Simpsons Ride
3. Transformers: The Ride 3-D
4. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
5. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey

and in 6 months, you can add two more screen-based attractions with Gringotts and Hogwarts Express
For the record, I am not an obsessed Pixie Snorter who hates Universal. I visited Universal for the third time this year, this past Saturday, and enjoyed it very much.

Last edited:

raymusiccity

Actually, it is 2 -168 passenger Doppelmyer commuter trains that are used as public trasport in many cities around the globe. With state of the art parallaxes glassesless 3D monitors for windows. But hey why try? The guests will muck it up! They should just stick with fish with mechanical spinny flipper as not to embarrass the Mouse King.

I guess we'll have to wait for the real time results....and it is a mock up of a train being pulled to and fro by cables. Capacity might be an issue as well:

" While going over some light details about how the queue will flow, they also describe the trains a bit in terms of overall ride capacity. There are two trains in use, with one departing from each station on the line at the same time and using a bypass track in the middle to get past each other. Each train will consist of a locomotive, coal car and three passenger cars. Each of the passenger cars will have 7 passengers cabins, and each passenger cabin will hold up to 8 riders, so we are looking at up to 156 passengers on each train run."

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I guess we'll have to wait for the real time results....and it is a mock up of a train being pulled to and fro by cables.
It is a Doppelmyer cable operated commuter train themed to look like an iconic steam train.

2925tar.jpg

doctornick

There is potential for a much greater range of motion with the described setup as well as the talk of new projection and 3D technology. Secrecy also helps to build allure.

Here's the thing: Given the choice, I would prefer a ride vehicle that moves from scene to scene and has physical sets (whether on their own or in addition to screen technology). So, I would like for this anchor of the new land to be more Forbidden Journey and less Soarin'.

That said, I don't get the point of being so dismissive about a ride we know virtually nothing about. If it is "only" a simulator where you are suspended but it involves a lot of range of motion, 3D/high frame film, substantial physical effects (smells/wind/water/etc) that is used effectively, and an immersive theming of the "theater" (plus maybe even stuff like variable scenes like Star Tours 2 for different experiences each time), then I think there is the possibility of that being a pretty high quality and popular ride, even if the ride vehicle does not move from place to place. I don't think it's fair to just write it off as "Soarin' 2.0" without substantially more info -- realistically stuff that probably isn't even known yet -- especially since IMHO with Cameron's involvement I don't think they'd just simply repackage decade old tech.

Also, I'd feel better if the one ride is screen based as long as the other ride is a AA heavy and longer family style ride. There's something to be said for offering a variety of experiences.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Oh, sorry. I google imaged Doppelmayr Cable trains and it came up. I probably should have used this one instead.

1024px-GTAA_LINK_train_clip.JPG
That is more accurate to the system. I must say though. I am a big train buff so I was admittedly sad when I realized that they wouldn't be using a real Steam locomotive ( Or an electric locomotive with the wheels touching the rails). I am sure this will be amazing ride but I was sad when I noticed that the "Engine" wheels were kinda floating over the ground.

SJN1279

No, it is classed as a travelling theatre. A themed attraction that moves between parks.

And the pre ride warnings will clearly state what's to be expected. The effects will be phenomenal.

The whole point of the Hogwarts Express is for guests to buy a 2 park ticket. If you add scary elements to the ride, you will limit the amount of families who will want to experience this attraction. I can only imagine taking a 2 year old on the attraction if it depicts a dementor attack. Lots of tears, and not much fun.

SJN1279

Avatar land will be done right. An e-ticket with height restrictions and a boat ride for the entire family. Something for everyone. The Wizarding World(IOA or Universal) does not have one attraction that the entire family can enjoy together.

Padraig

The whole point of the Hogwarts Express is for guests to buy a 2 park ticket. If you add scary elements to the ride, you will limit the amount of families who will want to experience this attraction. I can only imagine taking a 2 year old on the attraction if it depicts a dementor attack. Lots of tears, and not much fun.

Avatar land will be done right. An e-ticket with height restrictions and a boat ride for the entire family. Something for everyone. The Wizarding World(IOA or Universal) does not have one attraction that the entire family can enjoy together.

Disneyhead'71

I thought that the whole point of The Hogwarts Express was to provide a more complete and true to canon Harry Potter experience.

And if I remember correctly, the beasts in the forests of Pandora are pretty scary. So I would be surprised if the boat ride is toddler friendly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom