'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Or they could recreate a PI type experience elsewhere on property. I hear there is some land with infrastructure included out beyond DAK just waiting for development.

No, it would die on it's own. There needs to be a flow to an evening out. Maybe you leave the parks and head to DTD for a nice meal, after dinner you peruse the shops, then what do you know, its 10:15 and you don't feel like heading home just yet. So you head to the nighttime spots in The Landing or PI, or whatever they call it. If you put it in a totally different locale, you may as well not build it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No, it would die on it's own. There needs to be a flow to an evening out. Maybe you leave the parks and head to DTD for a nice meal, after dinner you peruse the shops, then what do you know, its 10:15 and you don't feel like heading home just yet. So you head to the nighttime spots in The Landing or PI, or whatever they call it. If you put it in a totally different locale, you may as well not build it.

Totally agreed. Just look at Boardwalk's nightlife offerings (the last around, as far as I know)...if nightlife venues were even more isolated...no way they'd stand on their own.

jt04

I think you just explained why PI plus Disney was a flawed concept from the beginning. Thank you.

baymenxpac

what is the need for Disney to open up nightclubs and more bars again? Just curious... i know locals would enjoy it along with "some" vacationers... but it seems like it could be a security and potentially bad PR (at times) nightmare

in the short term, it's a money issue. internally, disney views every dollar spent off property in the orlando area as money out of their pocket. if i have to go to city walk to get a little adult entertainment, disney loses money.

in the longer term, giving your customer base something to grow into creates lifetime guests. little boys are only into pirates for so long. but if you can keep them hooked by providing an array of offerings that they'll enjoy as teens, 20 somethings, and adults, you change a once-in-a-lifetime visitor into a brand loyal customer.

i've said this before, but i think it's really lost on some people how obsessed disney was in the '80s and early '90s in breaking out of the mold many perceived them to be in: a right of passage, kiddie destination. and once disney realizes that's the way they were able to grow to the level they're at now (and that their obsession with selling DVC creates more return guests), they'll hopefully get back to this.

dcibrando

I tend to believe Universal is aimed/marketed more towards teens and young adults whereas Disney is more aimed/marketed towards kids, tweens, and families. There are obviously cross-overs but this is just how I see it based on offerings from both.

Ignohippo

in the short term, it's a money issue. internally, disney views every dollar spent off property in the orlando area as money out of their pocket. if i have to go to city walk to get a little adult entertainment, disney loses money.

I'll take that one step further. Not only do you go to City Walk for adult entertainment, but you plan to stay at Uni for your next vacation because you've now had your eyes opened to how much Uni has to offer and how convenient it is to stay in a hotel and eat, drink and visit the parks within a small walk from your hotel.

baymenxpac

I tend to believe Universal is aimed/marketed more towards teens and young adults whereas Disney is more aimed/marketed towards kids, tweens, and families. There are obviously cross-overs but this is just how I see it based on offerings from both.

not always.

and if that's how a consumer views disney now (which is probably accurate), that's a huge problem for their brand.

ToTBellHop

not always.

and if that's how a consumer views disney now (which is probably accurate), that's a huge problem for their brand.
Disney has certainly promoted that view with their marketing and recent additions...e.g. the stupid argument that your kids are only young "for a limited time." What a forced and trite marketing campaign (but with images that tug at the heart strings).

dcibrando

not always.

teens, and even moreso males in that age range don't want to go to disney... they want the thrill rides at universal. Disney can EASILY counteract universal in this area by creating a few more thrill rides in each park, or hell create a 5th gate themed more towards this age range... marvel, thrill rides, and put in a star wars land and BOOM... you have just provided a major blow back to uni.

Look at the interest in rockin' roller coaster, tower of terror, space mountain, and everest and what are the average ages

Tim_4

teens, and even moreso males in that age range don't want to go to disney... they want the thrill rides at universal. Disney can EASILY counteract universal in this area by creating a few more thrill rides in each park, or hell create a 5th gate themed more towards this age range... marvel, thrill rides, and put in a star wars land and BOOM... you have just provided a major blow back to uni.

Look at the interest in rockin' roller coaster, tower of terror, space mountain, and everest and what are the average ages
Disney has no desire to "provide a major blow back to uni." They aren't locked in this mythical epic struggle against one another where one has to beat the other to be successful.

You mention teens, but teens are crappy guests. Teens don't buy merchandise. They don't eat at table service restaurants. They don't stay in deluxe resorts. They don't stay on property, period. They're rude. They damage things. They're often unsupervised. Most importantly, areas that become "teen hang outs" are areas that Joe and Sally Suburbs tend to avoid with their family of five that DOES spend money on all those things. There's not enough incentive to cater directly to teens because they're low-margin guests who can hurt your appeal to the family crowd. Universal just learned this lesson. They were perceived as a thrill park and they were legitimately failing until they introduced Harry Potter as a family-friendly featured land.

dcibrando

teens are also the ones that come in large school groups at 1 time. Disney tries to draw them in with Festival Disney (former Magic Music Days)

luv

Uni is aiming for families with kids, but not to the exclusion of young adults.

Disney is aiming for families with very young kids, especially very young girls.

IMO. It is obviously debatable. :)

WDW1974

not always.

This is a huge problem. ... I recently watched the godawful 2013 Disney vacation planning DVD. For a second, we'll forget that I ordered the DL 'version' and stated that I would NOT be traveling with any children because well, the dirty little secret is it appears that they no longer produce more than one DVD for all the USA Disney Parks and you can skip and choose what you watch.

That said, they didn't even attempt to veil that it was something likely put together with input from the Mommy Bloggers. Forget about singles or adult couples or older empty-nesters. Hell, forget about families.

If you want to wind up with alcohol poisoning, grab a bottle of tequila (only the Spirited good stuff) and take a shot every time they use the word 'kids' ... seriously, I think they used it about two dozen times in the first five minutes of a DVD that is almost two hours long if you play all the sections.

Disney has bought into the myth that the only guests that matter are kids under the age of 11 and the mommies who hold the pursestrings. It does make me wonder why/how they'll compete when UNI keeps upping its game for folks of all ages, not simply the stroller brigade.

But I think I'm going to put this reply on my thread as well since I wanted to discuss the DVD anyway.

bhg469

This is a huge problem. ... I recently watched the godawful 2013 Disney vacation planning DVD. For a second, we'll forget that I ordered the DL 'version' and stated that I would NOT be traveling with any children because well, the dirty little secret is it appears that they no longer produce more than one DVD for all the USA Disney Parks and you can skip and choose what you watch.

That said, they didn't even attempt to veil that it was something likely put together with input from the Mommy Bloggers. Forget about singles or adult couples or older empty-nesters. Hell, forget about families.

If you want to wind up with alcohol poisoning, grab a bottle of tequila (only the Spirited good stuff) and take a shot every time they use the word 'kids' ... seriously, I think they used it about two dozen times in the first five minutes of a DVD that is almost two hours long if you play all the sections.

Disney has bought into the myth that the only guests that matter are kids under the age of 11 and the mommies who hold the pursestrings. It does make me wonder why/how they'll compete when UNI keeps upping its game for folks of all ages, not simply the stroller brigade.

But I think I'm going to put this reply on my thread as well since I wanted to discuss the DVD anyway.
The words "mommy blogger" makes my skin crawl.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom