'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

luv

I disagree. Premium Outlets do fine without even a hint of nightlife. What Disney is trying to do here doesn't require nightlife, and in fact might be hindered by it. High end stores are high end stores, nightlife is nightlife ... keep them separate. BTW, I won't steal King Bob's scoop, but the Save PI blog should have some interesting (in a bad way) news on this front later this weekend.

I do agree the vendor list is key, tho.
Disney's new thing is booze. They want to sell as much as possible. So I can't see them not pushing the booze.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney's new thing is booze. They want to sell as much as possible. So I can't see them not pushing the booze.

I have no idea what you could be talking <hic> about!
200px-Sir_Hiss.png

Goofyernmost

I'm curious...what makes you say that? I'm not challenging your statement because I am not aware of anything new that backs that thought up, but, admittedly I don't know everything.:eek::oops:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I disagree. Premium Outlets do fine without even a hint of nightlife. What Disney is trying to do here doesn't require nightlife, and in fact might be hindered by it. High end stores are high end stores, nightlife is nightlife ... keep them separate. BTW, I won't steal King Bob's scoop, but the Save PI blog should have some interesting (in a bad way) news on this front later this weekend.

I have no doubt the shopping would do fine without nightlife economically. For me personally it would be a missed opportunity not to incorporate nightlife. If the vendor list finally comes out and all they add is 50 new stores found at any outlet mall and no new nightlife options I will personally be disappointed and view the project as a failure. I don't expect a dedicated adults only area like PI with clubs and such, but a half dozen new bar/restaurant offerings that would supplement the legacy establishments like Raglan, HOB and Splitsville could go a long way towards fulfilling the needs of adults who want somewhere to unwind and get a drink at night. Making them bar/restaurant establishments instead of clubs keeps the family friendly atmosphere, but allows the opportunity to transform venues at night into a more adult oriented vibe.

On the vendor list I would like to see some sample of places like:
1) the rumored Trader Sams
2) some sort of sports bar - lots of TVs, big screens and a sports theme
3) a gastro pub type place with a huge variety of craft beers on tap from all over the country (something like a flying saucer minus the school girl outfits for anyone from Texas)
4) A country themed bar/restaurant with live music and a mechanical bull. The kinda place where you could throw peanut shells on the floor and get good BBQ food.
5) A beach themed bar/restaurant. Not sure how feasible but maybe water views,lots of outdoor seating with a sand floor. Palm trees and large umbrellas for shade. A live stage for music at night and a few sand volleyball courts. Maybe on cooler nights a large beach bonfire in a controlled area.

scpergj

I'm curious...what makes you say that? I'm not challenging your statement because I am not aware of anything new that backs that thought up, but, admittedly I don't know everything.:eek::oops:

Food and Wine....now Flowers, Food and Wine (you know....Flower and Garden Festival...).

Beer and Wine at Be Our Guest in the formerly dry Magic Kingdom.

I'm sure there's more, those are just off the top of my head.

MarkTwain

I agree that if Food & Wine, the new F&G, Be our Guest, and the slew of new bars in World Showcase are indication, Disney certainly has a recent fascination with booze. But a key difference is that Disney sees all the revenue from alcohol at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom (boy, never thought I'd say the last part of that sentence), whereas for some reason, Downtown Disney is supposed to be entirely outsourced (and seriously... why is that???). If anything, they may see the higher amount of guests consuming alcohol as an added liability, and as that many more people they have to safely deliver back to their hotels each night. Unless Disney themselves are operating some of the bars or at least some drink stands, I wonder if they really see an advantage in a more nightlife-centric DtD.

Not saying I agree with it, just thinking out loud.

luv

I agree that if Food & Wine, the new F&G, Be our Guest, and the slew of new bars in World Showcase are indication, Disney certainly has a recent fascination with booze. But a key difference is that Disney sees all the revenue from alcohol at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom (boy, never thought I'd say the last part of that sentence), whereas for some reason, Downtown Disney is supposed to be entirely outsourced (and seriously... why is that???). If anything, they may see the higher amount of guests consuming alcohol as an added liability, and as that many more people they have to safely deliver back to their hotels each night. Unless Disney themselves are operating some of the bars or at least some drink stands, I wonder if they really see an advantage in a more nightlife-centric DtD.

Not saying I agree with it, just thinking out loud.
Don't forget Wine Walk at the AK and that other thing, whatever it was called. Plus, its more prominently focused. If you spend enough time at Disney, you notice stuff you weren't even looking for. :)

I'd bet real money that booze will not be hidden in the new Disney Springs.

71jason

I have no doubt the shopping would do fine without nightlife economically. For me personally it would be a missed opportunity not to incorporate nightlife. If the vendor list finally comes out and all they add is 50 new stores found at any outlet mall and no new nightlife options I will personally be disappointed and view the project as a failure. I don't expect a dedicated adults only area like PI with clubs and such, but a half dozen new bar/restaurant offerings that would supplement the legacy establishments like Raglan, HOB and Splitsville could go a long way towards fulfilling the needs of adults who want somewhere to unwind and get a drink at night. Making them bar/restaurant establishments instead of clubs keeps the family friendly atmosphere, but allows the opportunity to transform venues at night into a more adult oriented vibe.

But "mixed use" has never really worked before. Remember, PI opened with unique shops, restaurants, even a teen club. All except Portabello ended up closing, and that got annexed into Marketplace. Now we have mixed use again, Splitsville and at least one other venue are stuggling, and Raglan has never lived up to the potential it showed back when PI still had clubs.

On the flip side, when PI was a dedicated adults only area, it had a hugely successful run. Many of us argue that run could have continued if Disney had put a fraction of the profits into keeping the area updated. I'm with GoofyDad, if you're going to do this, do it right--clubs only. Ok, maybe some QSRs or appetizer menus, but forget trying to integrate in a surf shop and a mom jeans store.

Goofyernmost

OK, I see where it comes from and it brought to mind one of my feelings about what is happening at Disney or at least WDW. First, I am not a tea-totaler, I have been known to kill of a few brain cells in my day. (I know, that was/is obvious), but, for some reason it just bothers me that there is such a thing as "Drinking around the World" with tee-shirts and everything. I don't know why it bothers me exactly, except that I always thought of Disney as a place of innocence. I know, I know...corny as one can get, but, it bothers me that I could go to a place like Disney to revive my inner child and have to be watchful of drunks.

I know that not everyone is a drunk. That doesn't in anyway eliminate those that are. Alcohol in MK really didn't upset me to any noticeable degree because I felt that Disney would have to find a way to control excess there, but not so much in Epcot, DHS and AK. It just seems to be trending that way. How long will it be before there is a kiosk where you can fire up a bowl and get one toke over the line, man? (Sorry, every once in a while the 70's just leap right out of me) :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But "mixed use" has never really worked before. Remember, PI opened with unique shops, restaurants, even a teen club. All except Portabello ended up closing, and that got annexed into Marketplace. Now we have mixed use again, Splitsville and at least one other venue are stuggling, and Raglan has never lived up to the potential it showed back when PI still had clubs.

On the flip side, when PI was a dedicated adults only area, it had a hugely successful run. Many of us argue that run could have continued if Disney had put a fraction of the profits into keeping the area updated. I'm with GoofyDad, if you're going to do this, do it right--clubs only. Ok, maybe some QSRs or appetizer menus, but forget trying to integrate in a surf shop and a mom jeans store.
Maybe so. Raglan seems pretty popular to me, but I am not a local so I have limited knowledge of how well it's doing based on one week a year. As mentioned by another post I also think the problem is the vibe. Having 2 or 3 options mixed in with a bunch of shops doesn't create the vibe of an adult entertainment destination. Plus if you don't have any interest in Irish music or whoever happens to be playing at HOB what choice do you have. People traveling on business or without kids opt for City Walk or another destination outside WDW. Having 7 or 8 different options could make Disney Springs a contender with both locals and tourists.

I see no shot at having a PI 2.0 anytime soon. The clubs at PI were making money and they still closed them. No way will Disney look to reopen night clubs with 3rd party vendors running the show. Having less control makes safety a bigger issue. IMHO a dedicated district of clubs is not in the cards, but if they at least add some variety and more adult oriented options they will satisfy the needs for a majority of the guests and make money in the process.

JEANYLASER

On the vendor list I would like to see some sample of places like:
1) the rumored Trader Sams
2) some sort of sports bar - lots of TVs, big screens and a sports theme
3) a gastro pub type place with a huge variety of craft beers on tap from all over the country (something like a flying saucer minus the school girl outfits for anyone from Texas)
4) A country themed bar/restaurant with live music and a mechanical bull. The kinda place where you could throw peanut shells on the floor and get good BBQ food.
5) A beach themed bar/restaurant. Not sure how feasible but maybe water views,lots of outdoor seating with a sand floor. Palm trees and large umbrellas for shade. A live stage for music at night and a few sand volleyball courts. Maybe on cooler nights a large beach bonfire in a controlled area.

awesome! I love this!

Ignohippo

PI didn't work because The West Side and The Marketplace were divided because of it. The new plans create the Town Center area to completely bypass The Landing (former PI area) of they should choose to put the nightclubs back in.

Ignohippo

Except that this is supposed to be an "entertainment" district. If done properly (like City Walk), the two areas shouldn't conflict with each other.

Ignohippo

jt04

PI didn't work because The West Side and The Marketplace were divided because of it. The new plans create the Town Center area to completely bypass The Landing (former PI area) of they should choose to put the nightclubs back in.

Or they could recreate a PI type experience elsewhere on property. I hear there is some land with infrastructure included out beyond DAK just waiting for development.

dcibrando

what is the need for Disney to open up nightclubs and more bars again? Just curious... i know locals would enjoy it along with "some" vacationers... but it seems like it could be a security and potentially bad PR (at times) nightmare

lazyboy97o

what is the need for Disney to open up nightclubs and more bars again? Just curious... i know locals would enjoy it along with "some" vacationers... but it seems like it could be a security and potentially bad PR (at times) nightmare
Why would it suddenly become a security and image issue? Or do you believe, like some, that the Orlando Sentinel and the arrange County Sheriff scrubbed the record on Disney's behalf so as not to let the public know about rampant DUIs and other issues stemming from Pleasure Island?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom