'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

jt04

Orlando has begun in earnest a project to bring new life to Church Street. Namely the area around the arena and leading to the stadium. The goal is to eventually join these areas with the new Bob Carr facilities to create a new economic zone in the heart of Orlando. Very exciting for the cities future. Essentially you will see some sort of event on a daily basis. Very good.

jt04

Orlando has begun in earnest a project to bring new life to Church Street. Namely the area around the arena and leading to the stadium. The goal is to eventually join these areas with the new Bob Carr facilities to create a new economic zone in the heart of Orlando. Very exciting for the cities future. Essentially you will see some sort of event on a daily basis. Very good.

Oh, and yes I predicted it.

71jason

Yeah, just like Lou Perlman started (before he went to jail), and Cameron Kuhn after him (until he ran out of money I believe). Meanwhile, the one modest downtown development that actually got built--The Plaza theater--has struggled. And that performing arts center looks to be a money pit.

Downtown Orlando has been surrendered to drunken UCF frat boys and the homeless. It will take at least a generation to reverse that course. Sorry JT, but the odds are better I'll be buying you a drink in a re-opened Adventurers Club than this thing being built.

jt04

Yeah, just like Lou Perlman started (before he went to jail), and Cameron Kuhn after him (until he ran out of money I believe). Meanwhile, the one modest downtown development that actually got built--The Plaza theater--has struggled. And that performing arts center looks to be a money pit.

Downtown Orlando has been surrendered to drunken UCF frat boys and the homeless. It will take at least a generation to reverse that course. Sorry JT, but the odds are better I'll be buying you a drink in a re-opened Adventurers Club than this thing being built.

Perhaps you do not know but Disney is investing substantially in the Bob Carr project. The stadium renovations are well underway. The streetscape project is also underway. The arena is complete. Rush and Paul McCartney will be there in the next few weeks. I could go on but that should suffice.

jensenrick

Something else he said really struck me. The one bar making a lot of money is the downstairs patio--however, because so many use it as a walk-up drink stand, tips are really low, averaging under 10%. This got me thinking. The critical mistake JT and others seem to make is equating DTD guests with WDW park guests. I think the majority of DTD guests are there because they don't want to spend the money to be in a park. Low-cost things do fine--ice cream, candy, $10 plush, the $2 mini carousel, walk-up drink stands, quick-serve sandwiches, McDonalds. But if the majority of DTD guests had the money needed for bowling and overpriced burgers at Splitsville, they'd probably just add a 5th or 6th day to their MYW ticket (or add a hopper option and head to MK or EPCOT once AK and DHS close). I don't know that it will be that easy to change the DTD demographic.

Adding my .02, for what it's worth.
Friends of mine had a big 20th anniversary celebration at Boma a few weekends ago, with 26 of us coming in from all over. I stayed at BVP for the weekend, and decided to go to Splitsvlle for a drink before dinner, so it's about 5:30 on Saturday night. Anyhoo -

When I walk up to the place, I figure I'm out of luck- they are a couple deep at the outside bar, and I'm sad because there is live music playing from a duo off to the side. I had really wanted to go to the upstairs patio, but I can see no one is there, so I figure it's roped off or closed or something. I go around to the hostess stand, and she corrects me- more than welcome to go up to the upstairs patio. I go up and it's great! Only two guys at the whole bar, no one in any of the patio seats, and I can hear the music perfectly. Plus the VIEW- it's wonderful! I'm telling you- the view from the upstairs patio is the best part of this place, and it only gets better at night when the lights go on. What I don't get- why it's so packed downstairs, and no one is up here where the great view is?
Unfortunatly there was no one manning this bar- you had to go in and get a drink from the inside upstairs bar, and then you could take it out on the patio with you. This was okay with me, and one hopes that more staff was there later when it got busier.

Tim_4

Adding my .02, for what it's worth.
Friends of mine had a big 20th anniversary celebration at Boma a few weekends ago, with 26 of us coming in from all over. I stayed at BVP for the weekend, and decided to go to Splitsvlle for a drink before dinner, so it's about 5:30 on Saturday night. Anyhoo -

When I walk up to the place, I figure I'm out of luck- they are a couple deep at the outside bar, and I'm sad because there is live music playing from a duo off to the side. I had really wanted to go to the upstairs patio, but I can see no one is there, so I figure it's roped off or closed or something. I go around to the hostess stand, and she corrects me- more than welcome to go up to the upstairs patio. I go up and it's great! Only two guys at the whole bar, no one in any of the patio seats, and I can hear the music perfectly. Plus the VIEW- it's wonderful! I'm telling you- the view from the upstairs patio is the best part of this place, and it only gets better at night when the lights go on. What I don't get- why it's so packed downstairs, and no one is up here where the great view is?
Unfortunatly there was no one manning this bar- you had to go in and get a drink from the inside upstairs bar, and then you could take it out on the patio with you. This was okay with me, and one hopes that more staff was there later when it got busier.
You were early.

Mouse Detective

What I don't get- why it's so packed downstairs, and no one is up here where the great view is?

The downstairs outside bar at Splitsville has proven quite popular. Besides live music, it's right there for anyone looking to have a drink and chill. The upstairs outside bar has remained surprisingly empty. It is a nice view but it's just a long haul from the sidewalk to get to it. So people don't. Now that summer has arrived we'll see if the traffic up there increases. It should.

MadMax11

Here's a question that has probably already been asked and answered..so I apologize in advance.

What's the expected date of completion of the first parking garage? My understanding is they've already started work on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom