'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

brkn3467

There's not. EPCOT is a theme park. It's primary function is entertainment(used to be edutainment, but that's a story for another day).

Disney Springs primary function is a shopping district. All malls have eateries, so that can't be used as a way to define it as not a mall. So we are looking at a mall with a Cirque show tacked onto it.

Will it be one of the nicest malls in the country? No doubt about it. Still, it exists primarily as a shopping complex, or more commonly referred to, as a mall.
Can't we spend our time better than splitting hairs over definitions?

lazyboy97o

@dcibrando, it's a mall. It falls more into the lifestyle center categorization, buts its still a mall. Just because you seem to have not yet experienced such malls elsewhere does not change that it is a mall. Althought Disney may be curious as to what are the "non-shopping" stores at Downtown Disney because then they should probably be removed.

ToTBellHop

If you don't think City Walk is a mall, here's the Westfield Mall in San Diego.

westfieldhorton.jpg

City Walk:
Universal-CityWalk-Orlando.jpg

Mall meet mall.

71jason

Almost two weeks out from the announcement, we're discussing the dangers of escalators (a discussion perhaps better suited to the 1920s--these things are beyond common at this point if you aren't trapped in suburbia), and the definition of a "mall." Without any discussion of the actual tenants--because there is still no word what they will be.

jt04

If that's the case, then I'd advise you watch something like Revolution or The Walking Dead even ... because no one in this country seems to give a damn about infrastructure (be it building, modernizing or maintaining).

What happened to all that 'stimulus'? :confused:

On a side note, I have recently discovered and am educating myself on just how much is going on in NYC as far as infrastructure is concerned and it is amazing what is going on. I think you are buying into a bit of a myth that is being propagated that we are not investing in infrastructure. What needs to happen is public-private partnerships that solves problems much faster. An example is a replacement bridge from NJ to Staten Island that is in the works. It would probably already be built if not for all the environmental studies. Is there really some profound environmental concern between Jersey and Staten Island? Really? :rolleyes:

djlaosc

If that's the case, then I'd advise you watch something like Revolution or The Walking Dead even ... because no one in this country seems to give a damn about infrastructure (be it building, modernizing or maintaining).

Revolution is finally starting over here on Friday! (we've been having adverts saying "coming soon" since January! :rolleyes: )

Was waiting to see the ratings for last night's return in the US first (2.6, down from a 2.9, so still great for NBC) before I allow myself to get interested in it, in case it's another "one season and done" show. (7 weeks till we know what's renewed and what's cancelled...)

djlaosc

When did "mall" become a bad word?
Both of the above pictured shopping venues look phenomenal to me.
DS looks like it will be extremely well done too.

I don't think anyone is saying that "mall" is a bad word, but just that others are possibly making it seem that Disney Springs will be something more than what it is...

It's like saying that "Restaurant Marrakesh" at Epcot isn't a restaurant, because it has belly dancers - it is a restaurant, but it just has some added entertainment (in the same way the Disney Springs will be a mall, with added entertainment (Cirque du Soleil, etc.))

djlaosc

Almost two weeks out from the announcement, we're discussing the dangers of escalators (a discussion perhaps better suited to the 1920s--these things are beyond common at this point if you aren't trapped in suburbia), and the definition of a "mall." Without any discussion of the actual tenants--because there is still no word what they will be.

Exactly, I can understand why they don't want to name tenants yet, but, until they do, then there's not really going to be a lot to talk about...

It can look as nice as possible, but if there's nowhere new that you want to shop/eat, then it's not going to make you want to go anymore than you currently do...

Two weeks on and I still feel "meh", and will continue to until the vendors are announced...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In the future they will not be called "parking garages" or "car parks", rather they will be called "nodes" because that is how they will function.

And sooner than anyone would have thought possible.

Do you mean node as in a tissue swelling or enlargement? Node as in point where things intersect? Or node as in place where we'll all enter the matrix and be trapped in DisneyQuest until a certain percentage of our funds are electronically transferred to the mouse? My guess is that as long as car like vehicles are parked in a structure they will be called parking garages/structures or car parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What's wrong with someone being excited about an overhaul of the "mall". I dont get how calling it a mall prohibits you from being excited about it. To each their own. Who cares if you call it a mall or not. I am excited to see this. Not to the level of goose bumps, but I could maybe get there once the vendor list comes out. For the "glass half empty" crowd, I could also end up pretty disappointed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom