'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

scpergj

Revolution is finally starting over here on Friday! (we've been having adverts saying "coming soon" since January! :rolleyes: )

Was waiting to see the ratings for last night's return in the US first (2.7, down from a 2.9, so still great for NBC) before I allow myself to get interested in it, in case it's another "one season and done" show. (7 weeks till we know what's renewed and what's cancelled...)

We watched it last night. I've had in interest in the show from the beginning, and it's pretty good. Hope it stays to at least finish the season...

djlaosc

We watched it last night. I've had in interest in the show from the beginning, and it's pretty good. Hope it stays to at least finish the season...

I'm interested in the premise, and a 2.6 is nearly double what anything else (except The Voice) gets on NBC, so it's safe for the rest of the season, and extremely likely to be renewed - the question will be if they will move it away from The Voice for Season 2 (although they will have seen how well that did for Smash), or whether they will do what ABC did for LOST and move it to run continuously from January-May.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know this was brought up many pages ago, but here is the official e-mail that went out to DVC owners about Disney Springs. They definitley are spinning this as an upgrade to Saratoga Springs (which it is):

Greetings Disney Vacation Club Members!

In case you missed the big news from Disney this month, I want to let you in on the fun. And I do mean fun - ABSOLUTELY HUGE FUN - for you and everyone in the family.

The Walt Disney Company announced the planned multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney® area into Disney Springs, which will bring an incredible array of new shopping, dining and entertainment options to guests of Walt Disney World® Resort, area tourists and central Florida residents.

Even more notable is that this unique family destination, which ultimately will include more than 150 shops, restaurants and other venues, sits directly across a shimmering lake from one of our most charming Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. That means Members vacationing at the Resort will be perfectly positioned to enjoy the magic of Disney Springs, literally just steps away. In fact, a pedestrian bridge will be added between the Resort and Disney Springs to create an easier and more convenient way for Members and Guests to travel back and forth (in addition to the boat shuttles operating on the lake). Of course, Disney Springs will be a welcome respite for all of our Members visiting the Walt Disney World Resort.

I am especially proud to have been intimately involved in the strategic planning for Disney Springs while leading the team at Downtown Disney. Throughout the process, it was clear to me that Disney Springs would be enormously appealing to Members of Disney Vacation Club and that we had a fantastic opportunity to connect our Members to this great new experience in unique and innovative ways.

Look for more information about Disney Springs in the summer edition of Disney Files Magazine, scheduled to begin mailing in May, and watch future editions of the magazine, as well as the Disney Vacation Club Facebook page, for updates as new details become available during the multi-year development process. In the meantime, I encourage you to learn more about the plans for this project by clicking here.

I couldn't be more excited about Disney Springs and how it will make your vacations with us even more memorable. By the way, construction is scheduled to begin next month with new areas opening in phases. The entire Disney Springs project is expected to be completed in 2016.

That's the big news for now. On behalf of everyone at Disney Vacation Club, thank you for your Membership. We look forward to welcoming you home very soon!

Sincerely,

Ken Potrock
Senior Vice President and General Manager
Disney Vacation Club and Adventures by Disney

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Someone once mentioned a lot of the utilities are there. Technically anything could be done but it may not be practical.

In any case, the artwork shows the building staying and almost certainly repurposed as shopping or eatery. Would also make a nice venue for live entertainment IMO.

Just saw a permit today for roof work at the Mannequins building, so it looks like it definitely isn't going anywhere.

Mannequins Dance Palace - Roofing

flynnibus

Premium Member
what else is the internet for? cat pictures?
i-cgdMpXR.jpg

WDW1974

This is NOT a mall and if you don't like it then just don't go...one less person to add to the crowds. You can stay home and have a magical day adding negativity to everything Disney does online while the rest of us have fun :)

What a harsh response, must have touched a nerve of a super shopper or a Disney can do no wrong poster.

But, naturally, you are wrong. We can play the semantics game as much as you'd like ... mall or lifestyle center ... it's all the same. It's a place to shop and eat and drink with some very limited entertainment thrown in. That's it.

jt04

Do you mean node as in a tissue swelling or enlargement? Node as in point where things intersect? Or node as in place where we'll all enter the matrix and be trapped in DisneyQuest until a certain percentage of our funds are electronically transferred to the mouse? My guess is that as long as car like vehicles are parked in a structure they will be called parking garages/structures or car parks.

I was thinking in terms of telecommunications. Think Cisco meets Zipcar. And if you do not know what that means, soon you will.

WDW1974

When did "mall" become a bad word?
Both of the above pictured shopping venues look phenomenal to me.
DS looks like it will be extremely well done too.

Not a bad word, Jennifer. Just an honest one. I don't go to WDW to shop, especially for the same stuff I can either get in every Disney shop on property or for stuff I can get at home for less.

What percentage of WDW visitors truly consider DD a key component of their MAGICal vacations? If I had to guess it would be somewhere less than one or two percent. People want to make this 'extra' like it's a key ingredient in the main course.

It wasn't in 1986 or 1996 or 2006 and it won't be in 2016 either.

WDW1974

What happened to all that 'stimulus'? :confused:

Many states, including Florida, turned their noses up at Federal funds.

On a side note, I have recently discovered and am educating myself on just how much is going on in NYC as far as infrastructure is concerned and it is amazing what is going on. I think you are buying into a bit of a myth that is being propagated that we are not investing in infrastructure. What needs to happen is public-private partnerships that solves problems much faster. An example is a replacement bridge from NJ to Staten Island that is in the works. It would probably already be built if not for all the environmental studies. Is there really some profound environmental concern between Jersey and Staten Island? Really? :rolleyes:

All I can recall is that the current Governor of N.J. killed a rail line from his state into NYC that had been in the planning for decades and had been started with hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars, already spent. I generally like the fat dude because he speaks his mind and seems to care about the folks he represents, but I think he was way off on that one.

We need to invest in rail networks across this country, especially in areas of high density like NYC/NJ.

WDW1974

Do you have time to do social media for Universal and Disney?

You are confused, JT (not a first).

I am not employed/compensated by either TWDC or UNI for social media work or anything else ... but they both know who I am and that I am available.

And I KNOW I could help both of them out quite a bit!;)

WDW1974

Revolution is finally starting over here on Friday! (we've been having adverts saying "coming soon" since January! :rolleyes: )

Was waiting to see the ratings for last night's return in the US first (2.6, down from a 2.9, so still great for NBC) before I allow myself to get interested in it, in case it's another "one season and done" show. (7 weeks till we know what's renewed and what's cancelled...)

I would hope not. It was a true hit for NBC last fall (when NBC was first in the ratings, not last). I don't like when shows that have storylines that are not contained in an episode disappear for four months like Revolution did. But I enjoyed last night's outing, even if both of the major 'twists' were pretty much telegraphed. I don't see any way that Revolution doesn't get a full pick up for next season.

John

Once when I was about 19 I had an idea to slide down the hand rail on the escalator at our local mall. It wasnt a small one...like might be in a Sears store....no this was one of those 75 footers. I began at the top...started sliding....picking up speed by the second. It didnt take long for me to realize this was a bad idea. Because of my speed and the hight I couldnt just jump off....no I was in it to the bottom.My butt must of fit that rail like a trains wheel on a track... I slid off the end of it going so fast my feet couldnt keep up with my momentum. All I could think is....drop, tuck and roll. Which I did. Besides a few bruises and the embaressment of several dozen shoppers clapping...I wasnt hurt to bad. Needless to say I never done it again. It scared the life out of me. To this day everytime I get on one my mind drifts back to that day.

the.dreamfinder

All I can recall is that the current Governor of N.J. killed a rail line from his state into NYC that had been in the planning for decades and had been started with hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars, already spent. I generally like the fat dude because he speaks his mind and seems to care about the folks he represents, but I think he was way off on that one.
That was done at the height of the Tea Party's "Power" around the same time Rick Scott killed HSR for FLA. That tunnel would've really eased commuter congestion into NYC too.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

jt04

Many states, including Florida, turned their noses up at Federal funds.

We need to invest in rail networks across this country, especially in areas of high density like NYC/NJ.

Actually they are. Massively near MSG and also under Grand Central Station for the Long Island Railroad and other connections. New station and lines in lower Manhattan etc.

But seriously, you can't be seriously suggesting a national interconnected HSR network can you. Even Biden isn't pushing that arcane idea anymore as we are on the verge of automated personal travel.

WDW1974

That was done at the height of the Tea Party's "Power" around the same time Rick Scott killed HSR for FLA. That tunnel would've really eased commuter congestion into NYC too.

http://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/

Yep. While I didn't like the plans for HSR in Florida, I did think they could have been played with and turned into a workable solution. The NYC/NJ connector was a no-brainer and I think Christie was just looking to appease the far right with that dumb move. I'd like to talk more about, but one of my fans here is going to go whine to the mods that this is political and posts will disappear and I don't like wasting my time, so that's all I'll say on the topic (hopefully, that is acceptable for our standards!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom