New resort in VA? + Other rumors and gossip

fractal

Some thoughts -

1)With FLE and DCA remake along with NextGen and Avatar, they have committed $billions to US theme parks ( for better or worse ). Saying they need to exhale makes sense. Especially in an earnings conference call.

2)One would hope to have Lasseter survive and gain power through all of this.

3)With all due respect - BGW is not on par with MK. I visited BGW in 2010 and then MK in 2011. I loved BGW. It is beautiful and has some top attractions. But compared to MK - the themeing of the rides cannot. The buildings are very well done - but a notch below MK in my opinion. Air over Europe is embarrassing and the queue is a joke. Appollo's Chariot is an awesome coaster - but no themeing at all ( and with so much potential ).

The Pompeii ride is a disappointment. Loch Ness Monster is great and may be the best themed ride there if not Dark Kastle. DK is a very good 3d dark ride along the lines of SpiderMan - but it is a bit hard to follow and doesn't give you the "Wow" feeling at the end.

Again it's a very worthwhile experience and I want to go back, but it is not on the level of MK.

WDW1974

Has anyone else heard Jay Rasulo mention that, after Carsland and New Fantasyland, there will be no more money allocated for the U.S. theme parks for any new attractions or expansions or whatever???? Jason Garcia confirmed to me on Twitter that he was present in a analyst conference on may 30th when Rasulo said this...

It doesn't matter much what Rasulo says publically ... his is on the line and Wall Street doesn't want to hear about any more spending in P&R (a business they seem to hate ... guess the bankers' mommies and daddies never took them to theme parks as kids!). They don't seem to realize that WDW is a stale resort with 40-year-old infrastructure that really hasn't been maintained since the mid 90s.

But DL IS getting one major addition in time for its 60th (and possibly two) and one possibility is a shocking humdinger. :)

menamechris

And yet there are two large projects moving forward at Disneyland as we speak.
And something really big in the planning stages for elsewhere at the DL resort.

Hardly what I'd call "ramping down", but you have to remember who is talking, and who his intended audience is.

WTH?!? And here we sit in Orlando...

Oh forgot, I am supposed to be excited about the Fantasyland expansion that is giving us an additional 1 ride in count... And a castle restaurant that will be so expensive and hard to get into it probably won't be worth it....

WDW1974

Which seems to only add credence to the stories of troubles regarding "Avatarland."

It does appear the blue aliens are coming, but just to allow both sides to save face.
The project continually has been cut in size and scope ... what you probably will get is one giant showbuilding with Soarin Over Pandora, a dining facility, a shop and a bit of eye candy. That's it.

And, unlike all the press releases from last fall, it won't be replicated at any other Disney resort in the world.

Oh, btw, my fave little park on Lantau is about to debut its very kewl looking Grizzly Gulch (a whole new take on a Frontierland). I wish I could see it this summer.

WDW1974

Some thoughts -

1)With FLE and DCA remake along with NextGen and Avatar, they have committed $billions to US theme parks ( for better or worse ). Saying they need to exhale makes sense. Especially in an earnings conference call.

It does to be fair ... but analysts don't care about long term damage to the BRAND when you run resorts the way WDW and DLP are being run.

I do believe that is gonna change And I am truly starting to feel some good vibes about Disney for the first time in years.

2)One would hope to have Lasseter survive and gain power through all of this.

JL has the power here. And part of him wants to retire (and have a more ceremonial role) regardless of the strain his relationship with Iger has been under for quite a while.

But he REALLY doesn't want anymore power. He can't possibly deal with all that is on his plate as is. Sorta why WDW fanbois complain he only loves DLR. That just isn't true. It's just he has no time to possibly focus on anything outside CA ...

3)With all due respect - BGW is not on par with MK. I visited BGW in 2010 and then MK in 2011. I loved BGW. It is beautiful and has some top attractions. But compared to MK - the themeing of the rides cannot. The buildings are very well done - but a notch below MK in my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion and since you aren't one of our resident crazies here, I respect that. But I disagree. And it isn't something I say lightly.

MK attractions may in some cases be better-themed, but I am talking about the basics. Things like cleanliness/upkeep, efficiency, quality entertainment, value etc. are far better in VA right now.

This isn't 1990 (like some videos I recently watched ... no not Martin's, although I've seen plenty of them ... and certainly not Jeff Lange's:hurl:) and the MK isn't being maintained to exacting standards. The park isn't full of greenery and water and an active RoA ... and it doesn't have multiple stage shows anymore.

It is a vastly Walmarted product. BGW is improving all the time. MK has been headed in the other direction since the 20th century ended.

Air over Europe is embarrassing and the queue is a joke. Appollo's Chariot is an awesome coaster - but no themeing at all ( and with so much potential ).

Air Over Europe is the worst attraction I experienced there. I don't know why ... the concept is great ... a Soarin knockoff. The execution stunk though. But I didn't think the queue was bad at all. AC is one of the greatest coasters I have ever been on and what some Disney fans need to get is that sometimes it's OK for a coaster to be exposed steel ... especially when the ride is so awesome and the track actually hugs the terrain ... Barnstormer is an eyesore at MK, but people 'splain it away 'cause it's a 'themed' kiddie coaster.

The Pompeii ride is a disappointment. Loch Ness Monster is great and may be the best themed ride there if not Dark Kastle. DK is a very good 3d dark ride along the lines of SpiderMan - but it is a bit hard to follow and doesn't give you the "Wow" feeling at the end.

Pompei was OK, but not special (although a key effect apparently wasn't working for my one ride) ... Loch Ness is amazing. What's more amazing is the ride debutted in the 70s and is as smooth as can be yet Space Mountain can cause an emergency visit to a chiropractor ... and RnRC is actually a real headbanger now (something that simply you don't get on any of Busch's five well-maintained coasters).

Again it's a very worthwhile experience and I want to go back, but it is not on the level of MK.

The MK isn't on the level of what the MK was and is supposed to be. And right now, it is a hot, barren, stroller/ECV clogged construction zone (and, no, I don't give them credit for finally attempting to deal with the capacity issues).

I am having serious issues yet again justifying renewing my AP, but this will be the 30th straight year and I know I will ... I just will likely not visit very much ... sorta like the past few years.

The MK is really not a very good park right now. I know that's like a dagger through the heart of many fanbois, but it also is cold hard reality.

Captain Chaos

It does appear the blue aliens are coming, but just to allow both sides to save face.
The project continually has been cut in size and scope ... what you probably will get is one giant showbuilding with Soarin Over Pandora, a dining facility, a shop and a bit of eye candy. That's it.

And, unlike all the press releases from last fall, it won't be replicated at any other Disney resort in the world.

Oh, btw, my fave little park on Lantau is about to debut its very kewl looking Grizzly Gulch (a whole new take on a Frontierland). I wish I could see it this summer.

If that is all Avatar is going to be, maybe I should say it now... FAIL... or, am I being too rough on something we haven't even gotten concept art on yet???

Californian Elitist

And yet there are two large projects moving forward at Disneyland as we speak.
And something really big in the planning stages for elsewhere at the DL resort.

Hardly what I'd call "ramping down", but you have to remember who is talking, and who his intended audience is.

Do tell!!!!! Or at least give us hints, pretty please.

WDW1974

If that is all Avatar is going to be, maybe I should say it now... FAIL... or, am I being too rough on something we haven't even gotten concept art on yet???

I am still going to keep an open mind ...so I'd advise the same. ... But I am still not saying it's happening, just sounds more likely than before I left for Europe two months ago.

But the concept art (as I sit here with my Art of WDW book on my coffee table) is very odd. VERY. When you consider how negative fans have been on the project.

Captain Chaos

I am still going to keep an open mind ...so I'd advise the same. ... But I am still not saying it's happening, just sounds more likely than before I left for Europe two months ago.

But the concept art (as I sit here with my Art of WDW book on my coffee table) is very odd. VERY. When you consider how negative fans have been on the project.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, because I'd love to see this land come.. But, I always said, if we only get Soarin 2.0, I would consider it a fail.. I'd still check it out, but would be a tad disappointed if that's the huge E ticket...

here is their chance to do something huge, and I feel like they are going to blow it... But, that seems par for the course with WDW lately...

WDW1974

TELL US!!! Please!

If I could, then I would.

But think Tomorrowland and Frontierland. One related to a franchise, one not.
One designed by Tony Baxter. The other not. Both would likely eat up a dining locale as well.

That's about as much as I can say.

Californian Elitist

One designed by Tony Baxter. The other not. Both would likely eat up a dining locale as well.

These same places, Tomorrowland and Frontierland kept being brought up at DL when I worked there. Guess the rumors were true. Thank you for the hints, I'm greatly appreciated!

Captain Chaos

:(WDW will make a comeback sooner or later! This phase you guys are going through can't and won't last forever.

I know... I try to hold out hope... But, hope just fades with every move they do, or don't, make... if only I flew, I'd visit DL... but nope, you'll never get me on a plane... Not in a million years... :lol:

NemoRocks78

Seized

I see where this is headed. Nice. I'd personally like to see an addition to Tomorrowland, but if that Frontierland one will knock our socks off then I'm game. I'd also be happy to simply have both. :king:

Rose Marie

Original Poster
Alan may have his eyes on Iger's desk -- I'd be shocked if he didn't.

But I think he is ... how to put it? ... more like the start of a bridge to a whole new management team.

The Sheriff ain't wanted around these parts anymore ... and not even the ESPN machine or Paramount Pictures presentation of Marvel Studios The Avengers will change that.

Iger is almost up to Eisner level hate in many quarters ... and it didn't take him nearly the same amount of time (or REAL accomplishments) to get there.

I LOVE THE BUSINESS!:ROFLOL:
Interesting! I had no idea there was so much drama surrounding Iger, but maybe it's because there's no more Disney family members taking active leadership roles in the company. When Roy Disney lead the "Save Disney" campaign, even though I was just a kid watching the Wonderful World of Disney I knew that Eisner was in hot water. I couldn't tell you why, only that "he made a lot of people mad," but it was a very public campaign that apparently even 11 year olds could pick up on.

Random question for you you '74: why does he have the nicknames the Weatherman/the Sheriff? :lookaroun

Captain Chaos

Interesting! I had no idea there was so much drama surrounding Iger, but maybe it's because there's no more Disney family members taking active leadership roles in the company. When Roy Disney lead the "Save Disney" campaign, even though I was just a kid watching the Wonderful World of Disney I knew that Eisner was in hot water. I couldn't tell you why, only that "he made a lot of people mad," but it was a very public campaign that apparently even 11 year olds could pick up on.

Random question for you: why does he have the nicknames the Weatherman/the Sheriff? :lookaroun

He used to be a weatherman... No lie...

And I assume 74 uses sheriff because one member here thought great things would be happening in WDW cause there was a new sheriff in town, as he would put it.. Sheriff meaning Iger...

Californian Elitist

I know... I try to hold out hope... But, hope just fades with every move they do, or don't, make... if only I flew, I'd visit DL... but nope, you'll never get me on a plane... Not in a million years... :lol:

Keep holding on, things will get better. Aaww, I wish you could fly too and get out here to California!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom