New resort in VA? + Other rumors and gossip

sweetpee_1993

Oh my. Interesting thread, indeed. I didn't see any of the spillage in the other thread referenced so I'm glad this one found a beginning. Very glad. I wish I could say it gives me hope for WDW but I'm a bit too reserved to even have that. I think I'll have to wait and see to be convinced there.

Another Disney War of sorts, huh? Good times. More enjoyment for me. I hope it gets nasty for those who have allowed WDW to become the hot mess that it is. That's one gore-show I'll watch with glee.

Very fascinating this bit about DLP. I know so little about that park. I don't know why I was under the impression it had made a turn for the better. The bits mentioned about it here don't mesh with that so I guess I should do more brushing up on the shape of things there. Apparently it's not good. Dare I ask for a comparison/contrast to the current state of affairs at the MK? I'm almost afraid of what the answer might be.

BGW...**sigh**...haven't been for 20 years. However, one of my Virginian cousins has reconnected with my big bro & me and has been hopping around wanting us to come north for a visit. I'm thinking maybe it's time to introduce my boys to something other than Pixie Dust. What I remember of the place is all good. The park was always beautiful (for a teenager hell-bent on scoring rounds on coasters to notice is pretty good). Having eaten at Epcot's Biergarten, I can honestly say my memories of the Octoberfest experience at BGW totally smoke Disney's watered-down version. What I recall is all good. Tom, Big Bad Wolf was one of my favorites, too. I remember that one with the fondest of memories. Loch Ness Monster...aaahh...meeeemories!

RnRC...hubby & I have been thinking for a while this one was getting more and more rough but we chalked it up to getting old. Maybe it's not just us. When you think about it, it makes sense. Like SM beats the crap out of us now. Neither of us want to ride it anymore. I'm taking it these are maintenance things, not just 2 people aging rapidly. Whew! That's a bit of a relief. :lol:

I'd also like to mention that SW/San Antonio does have some noteworthiness to lend to some of the other bits touched upon here. ((Yes, I realize it doesn't exactly hold up to the mega-parks of Central Florida but it is a lot more accessible to a lot of folks who might take a look at airfare and rethink their planning...like us.)) Granted, our last SW visit was in August of '08 but even then we were amazed at how clean and beautiful SW in San Antonio was. Hubby's words then that he still will lavish on any ear that will listen, "It was cleaner than I've ever seen a Disney World park". That's a true statement. Also noteworthy for SW San Antonio is that this year they've opened an Aquatica park. When was the last time WDW did anything significant or noteworthy? Sorry, FLE is about as interesting to me as adding a new critter to the safari. What a waste. Avatar? Not only has that been confirmed as continually watered-down, it's about as stimulating as a mosquito bite. Unless you're already a fan (which many people, myself included are NOT) it's just not going to be anything other than a random toss out to left field. I wonder how far the cuts will go before James Cameron tells TDO to kiss his posterior and takes his ball to another ballpark? He doesn't come off to me as the type to do things half-. Maybe he should take a few notes from JK Rowling now. Obviously she made the right call with her baby. I shudder to think what kinda hack-job TDO would've done with the-boy-who-lived. :rolleyes:

Definitely rethinking many things in our future. Hubs & I were discussing it last night. What do we want to do? Where do we want to go? What are we willing to do to get there? These never used to be questions we had. They certainly are now. That aggravates me. I have a feeling seeing how all the things mentioned in this thread play out will play a role in our choice of direction.

'74...I must find a way to garner a few moments of your time.

devoy1701

Nice to have you back 74. Very interesting stuff going on here.Not surprised by Iger at all. Eisner basically set up a continuation (albiet a quieter version) of his reign by setting up Iger to carry on with the Company. I've never been to fond of the guy and have always held that Eisner did much more for the company...even if he did turn it into a greedy multimedia conglomeration.

It's a bit disappointing to hear that Lassetter most likely doesn't want a larger role within the company and that he's overwhelmed with his responsibilities as it is. Who else should we be watching out for as a potential creative mind that might be in the running for a very senior position within the company?

I tell you guys what though, the politics and personalities that is the Story of Senior Management through the Years of the Disney Company is one of the most exciting, heartbreaking, and interesting stories I've ever heard/read about! They never seem to disappoint!

Also very excited to hear about potential E-tickets opening by 2015 on the West Cost. We've been thinking about another trip out to Disneyland but after hearing these rumors, I've very pleased with our decision to do either the California National Parks or Banff National Park instead next summer. I can wait 3 more years for some E-tickets in Disneyland.

sweetpee_1993

Also very excited to hear about potential E-tickets opening by 2015 on the West Cost. We've been thinking about another trip out to Disneyland but after hearing these rumors, I've very pleased with our decision to do either the California National Parks or Banff National Park instead next summer. I can wait 3 more years for some E-tickets in Disneyland.

Yeah, the forrays east we have slated are to ports next May & November. Only 1 involves a certain mouse. Maybe we'll make another spin at a water park but that'd be a generous stop if we opt for one at all.

Californian Elitist

Definitely rethinking many things in our future. Hubs & I were discussing it last night. What do we want to do? Where do we want to go? What are we willing to do to get there? These never used to be questions we had. They certainly are now. That aggravates me. I have a feeling seeing how all the things mentioned in this thread play out will play a role in our choice of direction.

Come to Disneyland.

sweetpee_1993

Come to Disneyland.

That's been the plan for quite some time but airfare is a loooot for 4 people and I'm having my doubts as to what discount offerings will be for the Disneyland Hotel which is where the old man & I have been itching to stay since our first peek at the the rooms post-refurb. Do we throw a big $8k-$10k out there right before Christmas or opt for something else on the cheap? We've got 2 cruises on the books for next year that are pretty well set in stone. Those have to be funded as well. We still have to get thru the big move over to Houston and his project schedule is starting to look like a problem. But I'm itching soooooo bad to get out to DL. I'm trying to make a push towards an epic road trip & offsite if that's what has to happen. We'll have to see. We booked a December cruise out of Galveston (fairly close to us) with Royal Caribbean. As bad as I'd like to see Roatan & Belize City, I still feel like I neeeeeeed to see Walt's park.

Californian Elitist

That's been the plan for quite some time but airfare is a loooot for 4 people and I'm having my doubts as to what discount offerings will be for the Disneyland Hotel which is where the old man & I have been itching to stay since our first peek at the the rooms post-refurb. Do we throw a big $8k-$10k out there right before Christmas or opt for something else on the cheap? We've got 2 cruises on the books for next year that are pretty well set in stone. Those have to be funded as well. We still have to get thru the big move over to Houston and his project schedule is starting to look like a problem. But I'm itching soooooo bad to get out to DL. I'm trying to make a push towards an epic road trip & offsite if that's what has to happen. We'll have to see. We booked a December cruise out of Galveston (fairly close to us) with Royal Caribbean. As bad as I'd like to see Roatan & Belize City, I still feel like I neeeeeeed to see Walt's park.

Wow, you and your family have a lot on your plate. Save Disneyland for another time. It's not going anywhere.:) Staying offsite isn't bad at all. But if you plan on going in a couple of years then you could always save for the Disneyland Hotel!

sweetpee_1993

Wow, you and your family have a lot on your plate. Save Disneyland for another time. It's not going anywhere.:) Staying offsite isn't bad at all. But if you plan on going in a couple of years then you could always save for the Disneyland Hotel!

That's where the decision lies. Do we do it however we can this year or push it off until we can do it the way we want to? Just not sure. I know we don't like getting somewhere and feeling like there's more we want but can't have. But part of me totally craves a Disney park fix. Both hubby & I know without a doubt we do NOT want to go back to WDW anytime soon. I'd rather go to Six Flags then go back to one of the WDW 4-parks. **sigh**

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Poster Scoutn757, responds to a poster's comments about Busch Gardens Williamsburg, I snipped most of it because it's a point-by-point rebuttal.

Hey now, easy on the snipping! dxer got it right, my post was geared toward hinting at things to come in The 'Olde Country.

I don't think there is anything in those cryptic posts about any Disney resort in Virginia. I think 74 may be referring to a possible new BGW resort making the park a resort destination on the same level as Disney... What I got from Scout's post is a new country in BGW before Epcot puts another one in.

On Disney level, mehh they are taking the proper steps theme wise, see Verlboten, but they have high sites and goals set for the Mid-Atlantic gem. Keep you eye peeled for items at BGW, at its Water Park (near doubling size over the next three years maybe(?))

Some thoughts -

3)But compared to MK - the themeing of the rides cannot. The buildings are very well done - but a notch below MK in my opinion. Air over Europe is embarrassing and the queue is a joke.

Loch Ness Monster is great and may be the best themed ride there if not Dark Kastle. DK is a very good 3d dark ride along the lines of SpiderMan - but it is a bit hard to follow and doesn't give you the "Wow" feeling at the end.

Again it's a very worthwhile experience and I want to go back, but it is not on the level of MK.

Europe in the Air is an absolute utter joke! It was a poor attempt by the president to recreate a Disney hit with a global film. That still cannot detract from the atmosphere and high presentation standards that grasp many there, and I think what Spirit is impressed with. Apollo's takes hyper coaster to terrain coaster vs the typical parking lot build it anywhere King's Dominion nonsense. Err, DK is getting there. It is closest back to its '06 opening form than it has been in year.

It does appear the blue aliens are coming, but just to allow both sides to save face.
The project continually has been cut in size and scope ...

I was waiting for that statement, does not seem to shock me one bit.

This thread is what happens when I go to bed at a decent time for a change.

It has been a good decade since I last visited BGW, but I remember it being a truly beautiful park with some amazing horticulture. I used to love Big Bad Wolf (which now seems to be gone according to the ever-reliable (but in this case probably accurate) Wikipedia). Glad to hear that park is thriving. I'd love to visit there during the fall sometime!

The flowers are more present than ever before. Wolf is gone, it reach its expiration date that Arrow gave it at the time of opening (25 years). Although it was deemed safe and structurally sound BGW went by the manufacturer's guidelines and removed. Never fret, as Wolf has a tribute inside of Verbolten, the replacement.

They even took out one, Drachenfire, several years back after a couple of years' complaints about heads bumping the headrest.

Drac' was meant to be a Kumba clone but BGW did not want to wait a year for B&M to build it since they had contracts ongoing. Took their business to Arrow, Arrow tried to use B&M track style, blew up in their and BGW's face as you can see. Leaving BGW with one less coaster.

One more note here: They already have a first class resort. It is called Kingsmill and used to be under the same ownership (Anheiser Busch); not sure if that was sold when BGW was sold. I think so, though. Anyhow, Kingsmill is a first-class golf resort almost adjacent to BGW, along the James River. http://www.kingsmill.com/

They have never really emphasized the tie-in and used Kingsmill to boost BGW the way the Disney does for its resorts. They actually market Kingsmill to golf and resort guests first -- kind of the way that Disney USED to, especially for Fort Wilderness to campers of the past. (Yes, Disney used to leverage its resorts as resorts with their own amenities worthy of a visit whether or not you also wanted to visit a theme park.) Now it is all "synergy" to Disney, and BGW and Kingsmill provide a clear difference.

Kingsmill has never been a huge boost to BGW and never was truly intended to be. In fact, it has played more of a hindrance to the park that benefit. Under AB's ownership of both they limited certain things at the park to appease the noise complaints of King's Mill. Coasters have not been built in certain areas due to the proximity of KM. Since they are no longer owned by the same people expansions are coming and coming in full force. The nightly summertime fireworks did not take any time at all to come in after the change of hands.

Resort is coming with a fairly good number of rooms to get BGW started. I wonder with that Resort coming.... if they could be aiming for more of a "year round ops." Hmmmmm :p

Come to Disneyland.

I think I have been talked into heading that direction after a spirited meetup last week.

Californian Elitist

That's where the decision lies. Do we do it however we can this year or push it off until we can do it the way we want to? Just not sure. I know we don't like getting somewhere and feeling like there's more we want but can't have. But part of me totally craves a Disney park fix. Both hubby & I know without a doubt we do NOT want to go back to WDW anytime soon. I'd rather go to Six Flags then go back to one of the WDW 4-parks. **sigh**

I would suggest you save it for a time where you can experience the way you want it, especially since this would be your first time. Disneyland's got a lot of details and it takes at least three or more days to notice everything. Not to mention all the new things being offered. You could always come to California and do something else Disney. I know going to the parks is the best but you could always see a Disney film at the El Capitan, go to the Disney Soda Fountain, try and get a tour of the Walt Disney Studios. It would definitely be cheaper than going to Disneyland:)

WDWFigment

Disneyland Hotel looks nice following the recent refurb., but there's a lot less incentive (even with the addition of morning EMH) to stay on site at DLR than there is at WDW, especially if your goal is doing a cheaper trip.

My favorite hotel around Disneyland is Desert Inn, which is *literally* right across the street from DLR, is closer than DLH and PPH, and is usually well under $100/night. If you're willing to be a little further away from DLR (but still within shuttle distance), you can easily find decent $50/night rooms.

I can't speak to airfare for 4 from Texas, but I use ITASoftware to spot sub $300 round-trip flights from Indy to SNA. Flights do seem to be the big variable, though, even for people who are closer to DLR than us.

njDizFan

Had a strong inclination that the Spirit would come back from his VK with some nice little tidbits to drive us fanbous into a tizzy.

A few points:

1) If Avatarland gets watered down to such an extent that it's just a mini-land( 1 ride 1 restaurant and some merch)...what's the point. I'm all for DAK to get a new attraction(even if it has to be based on a theme I am not too excited about) but this is an epic film which demands an epic scope and vision...ugh

2) Iger been ruffling feathers now for years, suprised his contract was extened the last time. We can hope for somebody with some vision to move P&R forward but not holding my breath.

3) It would be great if JL acould take the reigns and drag the board kicking and screaming into major Disney renaissaince but alas it seems he does not have the will to do so. And I doubt very much any one man has the power to implement such a drastic change in such a mega-conglomerate.

4) I was fortunate enough to go to BGW last summer. Had a great time although not quite as enthused as some of our friends here. The park looked great and it is beautifully themed. I loved the Biergarten restuarant but alas all the rides unforunately made me nauseous. Also it was extremely hot the week I went which didn't help the matter. Darn I must be getting old..I can't handle simulators at all...DK left me spinning for hours.

5) Great DL to get a few ground breaking E-tics...Uni getting some really great stuff in the near future...heck SW is even getting in on the game...WDW there is a few DVC in your near future....(shhhh I actually enjoy visiting resorts)but seriously c'mon.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland Hotel looks nice following the recent refurb., but there's a lot less incentive (even with the addition of morning EMH) to stay on site at DLR than there is at WDW, especially if your goal is doing a cheaper trip.

My favorite hotel around Disneyland is Desert Inn, which is *literally* right across the street from DLR, is closer than DLH and PPH, and is usually well under $100/night. If you're willing to be a little further away from DLR (but still within shuttle distance), you can easily find decent $50/night rooms.

I can't speak to airfare for 4 from Texas, but I use ITASoftware to spot sub $300 round-trip flights from Indy to SNA. Flights do seem to be the big variable, though, even for people who are closer to DLR than us.

Exactly. The benefits of staying onsite at Disneyland don't compare to the benefits at WDW. The Grand Californian is unique though, in that it's located inside Downtown Disney and California Adventure. Best hotel location ever.:lol: Honestly though, there are some great offsite hotels around the resort.

SeaCastle

Is Western River Expedition in the cards for DL's Frontierland? If so, it'd be a bit ironic to have Baxter designing it.

Captain Chaos

On Disney level, mehh they are taking the proper steps theme wise, see Verlboten, but they have high sites and goals set for the Mid-Atlantic gem. Keep you eye peeled for items at BGW, at its Water Park (near doubling size over the next three years maybe(?))

Is it bad I have never been to BGW even though I am only a few hours from there, here in NJ?? Virginia isn't too far from here....

njDizFan

Is it bad I have never been to BGW even though I am only a few hours from there, here in NJ?? Virginia isn't too far from here....
Well not exactly right around the corner..lol

Took me 7 hours from NJ...but with Va Beach and Williamsburgh close by you can definately make a week of it..easily.

Exciting thread! I don't really have any input, but I do agree that a watered down Avatar would be very disappointing. I imagine vast realistic landscapes, instead of a cramped area in the corner. Hopefully this won't be the case.

It's annoying that DL might be getting two new attractions whereas WDW has just ripped a classic out... really hope that the management in charge get kicked out and a new one comes in to bring WDW back to tip top shape.
A girl can dream...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
4) I was fortunate enough to go to BGW last summer. Had a great time although not quite as enthused as some of our friends here. The park looked great and it is beautifully themed. I loved the Biergarten restuarant but alas all the rides unforunately made me nauseous. Also it was extremely hot the week I went which didn't help the matter. Darn I must be getting old..I can't handle simulators at all...DK left me spinning for hours.

As a couple on here know, my excitement comes from the BGWFans webpage I help maintain as the info I am highly privy to. I will leave it at that. The park really is headed in a very exciting direction. Growing up with the park I never would have seen it coming. Some know what I mean but will come to light eventually. Don't get me wrong and see me as an uber fanboi because I am open minded to all sorts of parks and offerings (DVC member attempting to get into Grand Cali before year is out). DarKastle was OUTSTANDING in 2006 when it opened. The current president has tried to water it down to make it "kidsiderate" in his words and he also responsible for the train wreck of Europe in the Air. Keep your eye open is all I am saying. Same goes for SWO and BGT.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

It is worth a weekend trip. Hotels can be had for a good price and there is much more outside of BGW to do here. If you are education minded and enjoy history you can actually make more than a long weekend. I will not mention BB-64 Wisconsin as you have BB-62 New Jersey up there.

Well not exactly right around the corner..lol

Took me 7 hours from NJ...but with Va Beach and Williamsburgh close by you can definately make a week of it..easily.

Whilst I said in my other post I am not a BGW fanboi, I can be considered a Hampton Roads fanboi. The historical offerings are unique to this area and some original buildings from when WBrug was the nation's capital are still in existence and open to visitors. The Military Industrial Complex in the area is unrivaled and has made the area rather recession proof if you will. Not mention OBX being just over an hour away. :slurp:

devoy1701

We just became BGT passholders again for the first time in 5 years. So far we love the changes we've seen since our last visits (Although Cheetah Hunt was a bit overhyped, and I can't figure out why we have an Australia marsupial exhibit when the park is coined "The Black Continent" or "Edge of Africa".

We're going to be hitting BGW in September this year as we venture up to Philly for a wedding. Glad to hear that the park seems to be in BETTER condition than I remember it from a visit back in the mid-90s...and even then we loved it. (Sad to hear that Big Bad Wolf is gone though! Loved that crazy little coaster!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom