New resort in VA? + Other rumors and gossip

rsoxguy

how come is it, that when I posted almost the same feelings, that Magic Kingdom, and WDW was being negelected that I was shot down? I even tried my hand at humor, into making my post as a Tv or radio commercial .. and was not only stomped on.. but made to feel like maybe my posts and my presense were not needed or wanted. how is it that stuff that I have stated and asked and complained about , four or more years ago, suddenly, everyone else sees.. or at least they see it in this thread..

sorry kids but lets hope that the end of the bean counter era is going to end.. and that, the people with imagination, finally take over WDW... and geees I hope that it happens real soon.. cuz I am 55 and I don't know how many trips I have left in me..

*Momentary thread drift: please have mercy.

I can not speak for an enormous group of people with whom I have no personal contact or relationship. I can, however, make assumptions that are based on observations as a member of this forum.

I do not believe that your presence is not needed or wanted on this forum. It is just that the members of this forum, by and large, have not experienced a physical meeting with one another. Consequently, we are forced to evaluate one another by (a) writing style, and (b) writing content. There are some members with whom I will not communicate due to these factors. I am sure that, in the eyes many people on this forum, I come off as a blithering idiot, and they avoid me. I’m fine with that because, well, you know…

I believe that some members of this forum find some of your past claims, and your persistence toward validating those claims, to be a source of criticism and amusement. Also, you sometimes exhibit a style of writing that makes it sound as though you are angry, and at times even arrogant. Typing does not always express personality or intentions well, even when humor is employed.

Why do I take the time to write this? Because I genuinely believe that you are a decent guy who would make for a nice neighbor, and I don’t want you to feel ostracized by this forum community. It bothers me somewhat that you would feel as though you are. Please take the time to express yourself through posts that sound a bit less caustic, and I’m certain that things will improve for you here. I personally avoid posting in this section of the forum because I prefer to avoid some of the “deeper” arguments that arise. I honestly wish you well.

*Thread drift over. Please continue to converse about rumors, gossip, and cobras.

Kuhio

The Rebel Yell (and most of Kings Dominion of the time, as well as Norfolk's old Ocean View beach amusement park) is featured in the movie, Rollercoaster, the old "Sensurround" thriller from the late '70s (I think). It is available on DVD, and people on this board would probably love it. It is about a killer (Timothy Bottoms) who is blowing up rollercoasters. George Segal, Henry Fonda, and others are trying to capture him without causing a panic. Check it out.

I totally second this. I picked up a copy of Rollercoaster from Amazon a while back. The nostalgia of seeing old-school Kings Dominion (including those singing mushrooms!) hit me like a big candy apple in the face.

Back in the day, when the white paint was fresh and the wood well-maintained -- before Lake Charles got mostly filled in and that part of the park got cluttered -- the Rebel Yell had just about the most gorgeous profile for a wooden coaster you could imagine. Its layout was hardly original, but the sight of the coaster trains making the out-and-back trip, racing neck and neck, caused many a young person to fall in love with the unique merits of wooden coasters.

bjlc57

well let me say that as a business man, and one who does analysis my "rants" are not always a rant.. but either a look at the future , or seeing an observation well before the average person would recognize the same fact. I deeply care about disney world. I hate when you have a place that "advances dreams and imagination" and yet does not adhere to its own advise.. and I really really at one time admired Micheal Eisner.. until he turned away from the magic and was seduced by the sirens of Wall street and the bean counter brigade.. I spent a semester doing research on the man for one class.. I wrote a 24 page paper about him..
in my line of work, I get paid to make every penney count.. I know how to price set.. one for profit, two for value and three for what people pay at a price point that they deem worthy of getting quality for price.. ( meaning setting a price too low, often times results in poor sales due to consumers believing they are buying an inferior product)...I also have an eye for asthetics.. meaning color of paint on the walls and the result of that color in sales.. ( bright yellow GOOD, grey poor sales).. and the upkeep thereof in a business.. and I continue to do research to learn more.. I can't tell you the things I learned and apply to every day business by watching BAR RESCUE..

that all being said: this very article states directly or indirectly most of what you consider to be my rants.. and it does cut to the crux of the matter that all four theme parks in the Disney complex in Florida are in need of upgrades.. and not bandaids but true surgery and rehabilitation.. and that the Power that be cannot or will not accomplish this with their current values of thinking..and new leadership is required.. and a new vision for these parks must be found.
Disney, especially Disney World , is like so many hotels.. at one point in time the money is flowing in that you feel that you can't take the time to expand.. and when the parks are doing so so, you say, well we aren't "making money" so we shouldn't up grade.. and later.. you get to the point where you are losing guests because of lack of upgrade and not you "don't have the money at all".. and that's when you see hotels or other attractions close.. ( walmart constantly does studies on how much money is lost if a person leaves their cart and doesn't come back due to whatever reason..)..

I just hate the place that I love, and have never had a bad day in, drift in a downward manner and have its inferior competitor move closer to over taking them.. and this is not a rant but a businessman's observation..

prberk

I totally second this. I picked up a copy of Rollercoaster from Amazon a while back. The nostalgia of seeing old-school Kings Dominion (including those singing mushrooms!) hit me like a big candy apple in the face.

Back in the day, when the white paint was fresh and the wood well-maintained -- before Lake Charles got mostly filled in and that part of the park got cluttered -- the Rebel Yell had just about the most gorgeous profile for a wooden coaster you could imagine. Its layout was hardly original, but the sight of the coaster trains making the out-and-back trip, racing neck and neck, caused many a young person to fall in love with the unique merits of wooden coasters.

Amen. You are exactly right about the Rebel Yell's look at that time, with the lake right in front of it. It really screamed (so to speak) of the old-time beach rollercoaster, but with a lake instead.

Of course that movie features Ocean View park also, with a scene where they actually blow up the coaster, which was real because that park was being demolished anyway at the time. Californians on this board will also recognize old-school Magic Mountain with its new coaster at the time (forgot the name).

And while we are talking old-school views of theme parks, you can't miss the Kings Island episode of The Brady Bunch either. You get a great tour of Kings Dominion's sister park in Cincinatti on that famous episode.

But no matter what, if you are on this board, I thoroughly recommend Rollercoaster.

kapeman

so i have a question for '74: should these management changes occur, can we assume that a WDW renaissance is a priority? i know that's a big assumption to make on spec, but it's something that i'm sure every WDW fan is thinking right now.

I feel the same as you.

Will any of the aforementioned "big changes" make it to Orlando?

Tom

Beta Return
well let me say that as a business man, and one who does analysis my "rants" are not always a rant.. but either a look at the future , or seeing an observation well before the average person would recognize the same fact. I deeply care about disney world. I hate when you have a place that "advances dreams and imagination" and yet does not adhere to its own advise.. and I really really at one time admired Micheal Eisner.. until he turned away from the magic and was seduced by the sirens of Wall street and the bean counter brigade.. I spent a semester doing research on the man for one class.. I wrote a 24 page paper about him..
in my line of work, I get paid to make every penney count.. I know how to price set.. one for profit, two for value and three for what people pay at a price point that they deem worthy of getting quality for price.. ( meaning setting a price too low, often times results in poor sales due to consumers believing they are buying an inferior product)...I also have an eye for asthetics.. meaning color of paint on the walls and the result of that color in sales.. ( bright yellow GOOD, grey poor sales).. and the upkeep thereof in a business.. and I continue to do research to learn more.. I can't tell you the things I learned and apply to every day business by watching BAR RESCUE..

that all being said: this very article states directly or indirectly most of what you consider to be my rants.. and it does cut to the crux of the matter that all four theme parks in the Disney complex in Florida are in need of upgrades.. and not bandaids but true surgery and rehabilitation.. and that the Power that be cannot or will not accomplish this with their current values of thinking..and new leadership is required.. and a new vision for these parks must be found.
Disney, especially Disney World , is like so many hotels.. at one point in time the money is flowing in that you feel that you can't take the time to expand.. and when the parks are doing so so, you say, well we aren't "making money" so we shouldn't up grade.. and later.. you get to the point where you are losing guests because of lack of upgrade and not you "don't have the money at all".. and that's when you see hotels or other attractions close.. ( walmart constantly does studies on how much money is lost if a person leaves their cart and doesn't come back due to whatever reason..)..

I just hate the place that I love, and have never had a bad day in, drift in a downward manner and have its inferior competitor move closer to over taking them.. and this is not a rant but a businessman's observation..

Nice post. And very true, unfortunately.

Your WalMart analogy hits close to home, and this story is a tad off topic, but interesting. The town next to me is on their 3rd WalMart. In the 25 years I've lived here, they've had 3 buildings. The first was an original style Walmart. Then they moved about a mile down the road and built the NextGen Walmart. Once they got into the grocery business (Super Walmarts), they had to move again because there wasn't room to expand. So, now sits an empty 20-year-old Walmart and strip center. And then Value City Furniture finally moved into Walmart building #2. If anyone doesn't believe me, you can google or bing map Plainfield, IN 46168 and just drag along US 40.

I heard another good analogy the other day (not regarding Disney but applies). Major hotel chains used to build their "high end" hotel model....then after X number of years, they'd downgrade it to their next lower level in the brand (i.e. Quality Inn goes to Comfort Inn). This would be done in an effort to degrade the hotel to the level currently accepted by society, rather than put money into the building and bring it back up to TODAY'S standards for the original level of the hotel.

It almost seems that's what Disney is doing. Rather than trying to turn it into 2012, or 2015 WDW....they're patching the walls and simply trying to maintain the 1990s WDW. It works because people keep coming.

IanDLBZF

Very true. In fact, if we want Disney to WAKE UP and refurbish all four Walt Disney World parks, then why don't we protest/picket them!

jumblue

Nice post. And very true, unfortunately.
Once they got into the grocery business (Super Walmarts Buy N Large),

There, I fixed it.

----

Although, if they kept it 90's Disney World, we'd still have Horizons, original Journey into Imagination, Alien Encounter... etc. Not only all those great attractions, but decent maintenance.

Longhairbear

Another reliable Disney site for news and rumors is confirming what is being said here. While spending on parks will be scaled back, Disneyland will be getting some loving. Other world locations will also see some loving, but Orlando will have to wait and watch ( actual quote, not mine).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom