New resort in VA? + Other rumors and gossip

Captain Chaos

Keep holding on, things will get better. Aaww, I wish you could fly too and get out here to California!

I've flown before... Just personal choice not to... Oh, and yea, motion sickness, nerves getting the best of me, panic attacks... all that jazz.. I only go to WDW via train or I'll drive... But, I actually prefer the train... relaxing, and cheaper cost of travel...

Californian Elitist

I've flown before... Just personal choice not to... Oh, and yea, motion sickness, nerves getting the best of me, panic attacks... all that jazz.. I only go to WDW via train or I'll drive... But, I actually prefer the train... relaxing, and cheaper cost of travel...

I absolutely love trains. I'm a little afraid of flying as well. I'm afraid of the possibility of the plane crashing. As you can see, I watch too much television.

todd23

Someone mentioned Horn as a possible replacement for Iger. Isn't Horn 69 years old? If so, won't that make him a little old to be taking over as CEO for the first time?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
These same places, Tomorrowland and Frontierland kept being brought up at DL when I worked there. Guess the rumors were true. Thank you for the hints, I'm greatly appreciated!

Indeed. It looks like 2 out of the 3 Es proposed for a west coast potter swatter are coming. And by god they could be E+!!The 3rd may not happen, but what could happen instead will more than make up for it. And for once they all look like happening instead of being shrunk and shrunk then cancelled.

And in Orlando we get a M&G and loose a classic.

At least Uni Orlando is aiming (very) high still. Get the speech ready, Bob. And hopefully for one of your puppets too.

WDWFigment

A lot of interesting stuff in that thread and this one. Maybe Horn has been the "new sheriff" that has been discussed all along? Perhaps JT truly isn't crazy, but a visionary who prognosticated this all along?!?

Was it possible that Iger previously announced his 'exit plan' to satiate influential individuals (like JL) in TWDC who wanted him out--but said individuals now aren't satisfied with the departure date? Curious, because it seems odd to me that a firm date would be set only to have it pushed forward shortly thereafter. Any ideas on that?

It has been a good decade since I last visited BGW, but I remember it being a truly beautiful park with some amazing horticulture. I used to love Big Bad Wolf (which now seems to be gone according to the ever-reliable (but in this case probably accurate) Wikipedia). Glad to hear that park is thriving. I'd love to visit there during the fall sometime!

cbconglom

Ok so guessing more details about dl's upcoming projects can't be revealed, but any rough idea when announcements might be made?

WDWFigment

:ROFLOL:

No.

So you're erring on the side of "crazy" rather than visionary who foresaw the firing of Cook, hiring of Ross, firing of Ross, hiring of Horn, and potential future strides forward because of Horn?

Interesting. :ROFLOL:

Californian Elitist

Indeed. It looks like 2 out of the 3 Es proposed for a west coast potter swatter are coming. And by god they could be E+!!The 3rd may not happen, but what could happen instead will more than make up for it. And for once they all look like happening instead of being shrunk and shrunk then cancelled.

And in Orlando we get a M&G and loose a classic.

At least Uni Orlando is aiming (very) high still. Get the speech ready, Bob. And hopefully for one of your puppets too.

I will be very happy with two new E-tickets at Disneyland. I heard where they might go and I heard something else about something getting taken out of our Tomorrowland but I don't know if the gossip actually matches what '74 and Lee are talking about. Just have to wait and see.

Well that's not all Orlando is getting. You guys are getting Avatarland still, right? Those plans weren't cancelled.

Lee

Adventurer
Ok so guessing more details about dl's upcoming projects can't be revealed, but any rough idea when announcements might be made?

Fall is my guess, at least for the rides.
The other developments are still pretty blue-sky, and will likely take longer.

prberk

Pompei was OK, but not special (although a key effect apparently wasn't working for my one ride) ... Loch Ness is amazing. What's more amazing is the ride debutted in the 70s and is as smooth as can be yet Space Mountain can cause an emergency visit to a chiropractor ... and RnRC is actually a real headbanger now (something that simply you don't get on any of Busch's five well-maintained coasters).

I love the Loch Ness Monster. It has always been a smooth, fun, thrilling-but-don't-kill-you ride. In my view, it is the standard-bearer for ride design. It loops twice (interlocking), is designed around trees and a lake that were native and re-planted, and -- best of all -- it is a SMOOTH ride! And most of BGW's other rides are also smooth. They even took out one, Drachenfire, several years back after a couple of years' complaints about heads bumping the headrest.

One thing that really makes the difference at BGW is trees -- and original ones at that. They took the added expense of building around existing trees, rather than flattening it all and starting again. The coasters go in and out of the trees. Make the park beautiful AND shady. And probably helps the European theme.

One more note here: They already have a first class resort. It is called Kingsmill and used to be under the same ownership (Anheiser Busch); not sure if that was sold when BGW was sold. I think so, though. Anyhow, Kingsmill is a first-class golf resort almost adjacent to BGW, along the James River. http://www.kingsmill.com/

They have never really emphasized the tie-in and used Kingsmill to boost BGW the way the Disney does for its resorts. They actually market Kingsmill to golf and resort guests first -- kind of the way that Disney USED to, especially for Fort Wilderness to campers of the past. (Yes, Disney used to leverage its resorts as resorts with their own amenities worthy of a visit whether or not you also wanted to visit a theme park.) Now it is all "synergy" to Disney, and BGW and Kingsmill provide a clear difference.

Brian Noble

I do enjoy Loch Ness, but calling it "smooth" is perhaps a little bit charitable. It's a Standard Arrow, with Standard Arrow Transitions. This was from a time when Arrow designed its coasters out of more or less a fixed menu of parts that were fitted together, much as one builds a coaster on Roller Coaster Tycoon. The transitions between them sometimes work well, and sometimes don't, depending on the train's speed entering each one, etc. For example, one reason the loops interlock is because they are exactly the same size---at the time, Arrow only had "one loop"---but the train is not identically paced throughout the ride, so one is placed higher to get the train's speed to "match" the radius of the loop and get the forces to work out properly.

If you really want a smooth Arrow, you should try Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood. That was designed "in one piece" with elements customized to that installation. It is amazing. If I remember correctly, this is the *only* customized Arrow looper, and that's a real shame, because it illustrated what that company could have done had they not been passed by thanks to the likes of B&M.

RSoxNo1

His words, if I remember correctly, were "significantly ramp down capital expenditures at US parks." He was later asked directly about Avatar and he stated that something like that doesn't really move the needle like DCA makeover or a new DCL Ship.

I don't get this at all. If Avatar isn't meant to "move the needle", why the property tie in?

It does appear the blue aliens are coming, but just to allow both sides to save face.
The project continually has been cut in size and scope ... what you probably will get is one giant showbuilding with Soarin Over Pandora, a dining facility, a shop and a bit of eye candy. That's it.

And, unlike all the press releases from last fall, it won't be replicated at any other Disney resort in the world.

Oh, btw, my fave little park on Lantau is about to debut its very kewl looking Grizzly Gulch (a whole new take on a Frontierland). I wish I could see it this summer.

I've heard a few different iterations of the Avatar project with apparently the most ambitious version not requiring Festival of the Lion King to move. While this didn't make sense to me I certainly found it interesting.

Everything I have heard has also pointed to a single marquee attraction.

3)With all due respect - BGW is not on par with MK. I visited BGW in 2010 and then MK in 2011. I loved BGW. It is beautiful and has some top attractions. But compared to MK - the themeing of the rides cannot. The buildings are very well done - but a notch below MK in my opinion. Air over Europe is embarrassing and the queue is a joke. Appollo's Chariot is an awesome coaster - but no themeing at all ( and with so much potential ).

The Pompeii ride is a disappointment. Loch Ness Monster is great and may be the best themed ride there if not Dark Kastle. DK is a very good 3d dark ride along the lines of SpiderMan - but it is a bit hard to follow and doesn't give you the "Wow" feeling at the end.

Again it's a very worthwhile experience and I want to go back, but it is not on the level of MK.

I enjoyed BGW, with Apollo's Chariot being my favorite ride. On par with Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain or Superman/Bizarro at Six Flags New England. All excellent coasters that rely on speed, turns, pacing and length as opposed to killing you with inversions.

It doesn't matter much what Rasulo says publically ... his is on the line and Wall Street doesn't want to hear about any more spending in P&R (a business they seem to hate ... guess the bankers' mommies and daddies never took them to theme parks as kids!). They don't seem to realize that WDW is a stale resort with 40-year-old infrastructure that really hasn't been maintained since the mid 90s.

But DL IS getting one major addition in time for its 60th (and possibly two) and one possibility is a shocking humdinger. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Disney tickets are a better investment than Disney stock. Perhaps Wall Street should start buying up a stockpile of park hoppers instead of stock.

neoshinok

This is the most engaging thread in a long time.

And, unlike all the press releases from last fall, it won't be replicated at any other Disney resort in the world.

This caught me by surprise. I assumed if it was greenlit at WDW, either Tokyo or Shanghai wouldn't be far behind, as I've read Avatar is an even more popular franchise in Asia than in the west. Any reasoning you've heard as to why it would start and end in Orlando?

Also, thanks to 74, Lee, Marni and others who share what they can. I respect your dedication to the secrecy of your sources' info, but the hints still lay groundwork for some fun speculation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom