Should Disney enforce the Flash Photography policy?

Should Disney eject people who disregard the no flash policy?

• Yes

Votes: 137 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper

People on this forum really support the "lower ourselves to their level" approach ...engaging in an activity that specifically implicates the issue of courtesy ...and is the same activity with which they directly object?

Wow :cry:

captainkidd

Original Poster
People on this forum really support the "lower ourselves to their level" approach ...engaging in an activity that specifically implicates the issue of courtesy ...and is the same activity with which they directly object?

Well, at least we know who on this board is a rampant flasher.:rolleyes:

BrittanyRose428

And the thing is those photos still come out looking terrible when you get home and pull them up on your computer. People just don't get it.

On one hand I understand the parents who spent a ton of money taking thier family to WDW and want to capture every memory possible for them and thier kids. But it's super annoying. What WDW should do is grant anyone sitting behind a "flash photographer" permission to punch them in the back of the head.
This. I will never understand the logic behind flash photography. I'm not photographer, but I can tell you that with the (mostly crappy) cameras a lot of people use combined with the fact that its a dark ride, and meant to be seen in the dark, using the flash is only going to result in a bad picture anyways. You'd think they'd notice after their first picture comes out bad that maybe they should turn the flash off, but nope, apparently not.

sublimesting

I can think of no instance at Disney where a flash is required except in certain pavilions or close up outdoors at night. On rides, you ruin everyone's ride; at dinner you annoy all the diners, at night 90% of what people are using the flash for is too far away anyways.

I have on POC turned around and flashed someone behind me right in the eyes after asking 3 times and the 20th flash.

draybook

No, if Disney doesn't have the cajones to say something to people, I do. I frequently speak up to people, whether it be smokers out of place or flashers. I've got to learn "no flash" in Spanish for our next trip.

sweetpee_1993

I was kidding about tossing someone overboard on PotC for flashing....but it'd certainly be a priceless Kodak Moment! :D

captainkidd

Original Poster
No, if Disney doesn't have the cajones to say something to people, I do. I frequently speak up to people, whether it be smokers out of place or flashers. I've got to learn "no flash" in Spanish for our next trip.

LOL - My wife and I have been memorizing certain phrases in Spanish from an app on her iphone:

Por favor deje de usar el flash de la cámara - Please stop using the flash on your camera.

Por favor ir fumando en el área designada - Please go smoke in the designated area.

Por favor guarde sus cantos para la próxima copa del mundo juego - Please save the chanting and singing for the next world cup game.

flynnibus

Premium Member
False. Observation does not constitute enforcement (unless, as I stated earlier, we are defining enforcement as punishment).

So your arguement is it's futile to enforce anything, because you can't actually PREVENT it from happening? That's stupid. The point of enforcement is to
1) punish those who disregard the rules
2) discourage those who might disregard the rules from doing so

For the category of 'accidental' or 'I didn't know' - its very simple.. you don't drop the hammer on first offenses or accidentals.

Every single guest has ticket media that is unique and easily tracked. All Disney would need to do is institute a 'strike' or demerit system where problem customers are recorded. When the customer keeps doing it and racks up too many strikes/demerits, the company takes action against them. Remove them from the park, etc.

The problem is really the personal overhead to enforce things. If you were to save the enforcement for the really bad offenders and make it so attraction leads were able to mark customers without it being a huge ordeal.. it's feasible.

The problem customers fall into these major categories
- The 'I didn't know' crowd. Ok, make it so CMs actually address the problem to problem customers. If they are semi-intelligent, they learn from the experience and aim not to repeat it.

- The 'it was an accident' crowd. Ok, so you do it by accident.. that's fine. But you won't be doing it the whole ride. If you do it the whole ride, then you really aren't in this crowd category. If Disney raises awareness of the problem, this group shrinks in frequency

- The 'Im gonna do it anyway crowd'. These are the ones who need the enforcement to show Disney will not tolerate it.

The problem is Disney tolerates the habitual offenders for fear of impacting the other groups. It's not that hard to differentiate them.

Timekeeper

So your arguement is it's futile to enforce anything, because you can't actually PREVENT it from happening? That's stupid. The point of enforcement is to
1) punish those who disregard the rules
2) discourage those who might disregard the rules from doing so

I never said that "it's futile to enforce anything," but thank you for your assumption and misinterpretation.

The analogy was raised earlier that fastpass times are enforced, and so flash photography policies should be enforced, too. However, fastpass compliance is, for the most part, literally (proactively) enforceable. Even if a guest jumps the line mid-queue, they will still have to pass FP collection. CMs can prevent fastpass noncompliance (thus enforcing the policy). CMs cannot, however, prevent flash photography noncompliance.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I never said that "it's futile to enforce anything," but thank you for your assumption and misinterpretation.

The analogy was raised earlier that fastpass times are enforced, and so flash photography policies should be enforced, too. However, fastpass compliance is, for the most part, literally (proactively) enforceable. Even if a guest jumps the line mid-queue, they will still have to pass FP collection. CMs can prevent fastpass noncompliance (thus enforcing the policy). CMs cannot, however, prevent flash photography noncompliance.

Again - what relevance does PREVENTING it from happening have to do with the idea of ENFORCING a policy?

We can't PREVENT a crime from happening, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have enforcement of the law if it's broken.

Prevention is really moot.

Impact of the enforcement on the actual ride experience is what actually matters. Not if it's physically possible to prevent it or not.

gaga4disney

it may be difficult to enforce this policy at the moment the violation occurs or there after, but CM's can be more proactive at the start of the rides by clearly stating no flash photography or the ride will stop. i think this would reduce the occurrences. reduction is the key. it will still happen whether it's accidental or intentional, but i would like to see less of it.

captainkidd

Original Poster
it may be difficult to enforce this policy at the moment the violation occurs or there after, but CM's can be more proactive at the start of the rides by clearly stating no flash photography or the ride will stop. i think this would reduce the occurrences. reduction is the key. it will still happen whether it's accidental or intentional, but i would like to see less of it.

Yeah, this would work for me. There are times when it's just 1 or 2, and an annoying as it is, it doesn't ruin the entire ride. Last time I rode Pirates in February, there was a woman on our boat who must have snapped 25 pictures of the 1st scene with the skeleton and crab. And she spoke perfectly good english.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is just the 'give em an, they'll take a mile' that happens in our self-entitled society these days. No one considers the impact on others more important than their 'right now' me me me attitude.

The people that don't know the rules can easily be told.. but Disney is too shy to even do that because they can't train their front-line CMs enough to trust them to make such confrontations.

gaga4disney

This is just the 'give em an, they'll take a mile' that happens in our self-entitled society these days. No one considers the impact on others more important than their 'right now' me me me attitude.

The people that don't know the rules can easily be told.. but Disney is too shy to even do that because they can't train their front-line CMs enough to trust them to make such confrontations.

If they can train their CM's to make you feel like your the VIP at the resorts, i am sure a brief employee training session to increase awareness of these issues would be feasible. I wouldn't consider them confrontations either, just matter of fact policy statement with a VERY friendly tone.:)

WDWLOYAL1971

I remember many years ago, if a flash would be caught in ride, a CM would immediately interrupt the ride's audiotronics and announce "no flash photography", as many times as needed. They should most definately enforce that.

MissMorrow

I actually voted no, because I have no idea how you would enforce this rule short of banning all cameras from the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom