Should Disney enforce the Flash Photography policy?

Should Disney eject people who disregard the no flash policy?

• Yes

Votes: 137 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Anyone that has ridden Pirates or Spaceship Earth, knows that Disney does not enforce this policy. Should they? And by should they, I mean, should they toss the ignoramouses who insist on ruining the ride experience for the rest of us?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is my thousand word essay on the subject.

Paintballcopy.jpg

G00fyDad

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is my thousand word essay on the subject.

Paintballcopy.jpg

LOL :ROFLOL: Love it!

At first I was curious who clicked "No" for the poll but I think I figured that one out. :rolleyes:

It would be great if Disney did do something about flash photography on rides but unfortunately all they will do is remind people periodically over the speaker. Disney doesn't want the bad press of kicking the idiots out of the parks and the CMs are too afraid of getting beat up to say anything. (Or maybe Disney tells them to not saying anything)

Florida_is_hot

Who can say no to this?

You're in dark room, eyes adjusted to the dark... with hundreds of people.

Then "FLASH"....

This is the worst type of rude behavior I can think of.

I love it when people are taking flash pictures of glass walls, films .....
Shows intelligence

fosse76

I think the only way to really enforce it is to disallow photgraphy altogether on the dark rides. And we all know that Disney takes a non-onfrontational approach to customer service, so even if they did that, at most there would be a sign indicating no photography.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I think the only way to really enforce it is to disallow photgraphy altogether on the dark rides. And we all know that Disney takes a non-onfrontational approach to customer service, so even if they did that, at most there would be a sign indicating no photography.

Private property - They can do whatever they want. I think if they DID start enforcing this, it would actually make them look good. Shows that they care about their guests.

Of course, you're going to run into the occasional bozo who'll claim they didn't see the sign or hear the announcement. Stopping the ride isn't logical, so make the announcement during the ride once, and if they continue, it's adios amigos.

gaga4disney

i think it will be difficult to enforce (kicking people out that is). perhaps an aggressive campaign of more obvious signs and CM's that remind people no flash photography or the ride will stop. maybe these flashers will be embarrassed. i remember it happened on carousel of progress, the CM stopped the ride and announced it wouldn't continue unless they stopped taking pictures. they seemed uncomfortable by all the glares.

captainkidd

Original Poster
i think it will be difficult to enforce (kicking people out that is). perhaps an aggressive campaign of more obvious signs and CM's that remind people no flash photography or the ride will stop. maybe these flashers will be embarrassed. i remember it happened on carousel of progress, the CM stopped the ride and announced it wouldn't continue unless they stopped taking pictures. they seemed uncomfortable by all the glares.

They're pretty good at doing it during Country Bears as well.

I just think Disney should initiate a NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY policy throughout the parks.

Mickey_777

And the thing is those photos still come out looking terrible when you get home and pull them up on your computer. People just don't get it.

On one hand I understand the parents who spent a ton of money taking thier family to WDW and want to capture every memory possible for them and thier kids. But it's super annoying. What WDW should do is grant anyone sitting behind a "flash photographer" permission to punch them in the back of the head.

ddbowdoin

YES ... and I'll tell you why, because your photos made with your point and shoot with flash ultimately suck anyway. So why ruin peoples experience for your mediocre photo?

Timekeeper

Fact: There's nothing that Disney can do to prevent flash photography. They can only react to it. Police officers enforce the law, but any of us are free to speed down the highway if we so choose. If punishment constitutes enforcement, then sure, Disney could punish guests with certain consequences.

Here's the problem: The opinions expressed above illustrate the blind assumption that we consider the flasher (offending guest) to be inconsiderate or blatantly rude. But how many times have we seen guests in the parks fiddling with their (often new) digital cameras and try to understand the settings and menu options? And how many of us are guilty of doing the same?

Not all park guests are avid shutterbugs. Traveling to Disney is often a good excuse for guests to get a new camera, or pull out the camera that they haven't previously used every day, to take countless pictures of their vacation. Those average guests aren't always going to be the gods-of-the-aperture that some members of this forum hold themselves out to be. Not every flash that goes off against an attraction's flash photography policy is indicative of the flasher's disregard for the policy. I'd bet that most flashes are in fact unintentional.

And then there's the notion that WDW is a tourist attraction for people traveling from all over the world. Even though English may be the official language of Florida under the state's constitution, the fact of the matter is that a bilingual (English/Spanish) spiel in an attraction is simply not going to be sufficient to be understood by each and every guest.

So, before we entertain a knee-jerk reaction of seeking punishment as a form of policy enforcement, we should consider all of the facts and circumstances surrounding the problem.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Here's the problem: The opinions expressed above illustrate the blind assumption that we consider the flasher (offending guest) to be inconsiderate or blatantly rude. But how many times have we seen guests in the parks fiddling with their (often new) digital cameras and try to understand the settings and menu options? And how many of us are guilty of doing the same?

Not all park guests are avid shutterbugs. Traveling to Disney is often a good excuse for guests to get a new camera, or pull out the camera that they haven't previously used every day, to take countless pictures of their vacation. Those average guests aren't always going to be the gods-of-the-aperture that some members of this forum hold themselves out to be. Not every flash that goes off against an attraction's flash photography policy is indicative of the flasher's disregard for the policy. I'd bet that most flashes are in fact unintentional.

And then there's the notion that WDW is a tourist attraction for people traveling from all over the world. Even though English may be the official language of Florida under the state's constitution, the fact of the matter is that a bilingual (English/Spanish) spiel in an attraction is simply not going to be sufficient to be understood by each and every guest.

So, before we entertain a knee-jerk reaction of seeking punishment as a form of policy enforcement, we should consider all of the facts and circumstances surrounding the problem.

Sorry - Flashes on dark rides aren't unintentional. Unintentional is a flash going off once. Not 75 times.

In addition, one shouldn't need to speak English or Spanish to have common decency and good manners. And if that's the excuse they're going to use, sorry, but they should just stay home. This is America, and in this country we're a society and one that aims to be courteous to others. If you can't do that, then stay out.

Timekeeper

In addition, one shouldn't need to speak English or Spanish to have common decency and good manners. And if that's the excuse they're going to use, sorry, but they should just stay home. This is America, and in this country we're a society and one that aims to be courteous to others. If you can't do that, then stay out.

Who defines courteous? Are you sure that what is considered "courteous" in American culture must therefore be "courteous" in all cultures? Or maybe, just maybe, "courtesy" is one of those things that differs most between cultures from around the world?

Do you think that you could ever get Disney to go along with your "stay out" attitude as their marketing campaign? Hmmm... :brick:

Goofy6294

Maybe a situation where NextGen could help...Have a three strikes policy: when a guest is identified and warned not to use flash on a ride, they get a strike on their account. Once a guest receives three strikes, they can't go on any rides where the rule is in effect because their RFID bracelet flags them prior to entering the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom