Should Disney enforce the Flash Photography policy?

Should Disney eject people who disregard the no flash policy?

• Yes

Votes: 137 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper

Maybe a situation where NextGen could help...Have a three strikes policy: when a guest is identified and warned not to use flash on a ride, they get a strike on their account. Once a guest receives three strikes, they can't go on any rides where the rule is in effect because their RFID bracelet flags them prior to entering the ride.

:ROFLOL: ...as long as we implement a similar rule for guests who don't move all the way across their row in a theater attraction.

Speaking of shows, I'm looking forward to Captain EO's replacement: It's Tough To Be A Tourist.

:lookaroun

tizzo

Anyone that has ridden Pirates or Spaceship Earth, knows that Disney does not enforce this policy. Should they? And by should they, I mean, should they toss the ignoramouses who insist on ruining the ride experience for the rest of us?

I think you're being a little unfair characterizing them all as ignorant. Most know exactly what they're doing - they're just bad.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Who defines courteous? Are you sure that what is considered "courteous" in American culture must therefore be "courteous" in all cultures? Or maybe, just maybe, "courtesy" is one of those things that differs most between cultures from around the world?

Do you think that you could ever get Disney to go along with your "stay out" attitude as their marketing campaign? Hmmm... :brick:

If you'd like a better term, I could use "common sense".

If you're a tourist from America and go to China and break one of their laws, do you think they'll say "Oh, you're from America? I'm sorry. Please, feel free to continue."

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
:ROFLOL: ...as long as we implement a similar rule for guests who don't move all the way across their row in a theater attraction.

Speaking of shows, I'm looking forward to Captain EO's replacement: It's Tough To Be A Tourist.

:lookaroun
I would once again like to recommend electric shocks.:D

tizzo

I think the only way to really enforce it is to disallow photgraphy altogether on the dark rides.

I'm a little confused, why do you think this? IE why would it be easier to enforce a no photography rule than a no flash photography rule? If anything I'd think no flash photography would be easier to enforce because it's easier to detect.

Timekeeper

If you'd like a better term, I could use "common sense".

If you're a tourist from America and go to China and break one of their laws, do you think they'll say "Oh, you're from America? I'm sorry. Please, feel free to continue."

Laws? I wasn't aware that we were raising theme park attraction policies to the level of a entire country's "laws." A private company's internal policies for its guests are in no way, shape, or form, "laws." At best, the only "law" implicated by a refusal to follow the reasonable directions of a property owner is that of trespass; and the property owner would need to initiate that process. There are some other minuscule issues that could arise, but flashing does not - in and of itself - constitute any "law" violation. :cry:

captainkidd

Original Poster
Laws? I wasn't aware that we were raising theme park attraction policies to the level of a entire country's "laws." A private company's internal policies for its guests are in no way, shape, or form, "laws." At best, the only "law" implicated by a refusal to follow the reasonable directions of a property owner is that of trespass; and the property owner would need to initiate that process. There are some other minuscule issues that could arise, but flashing does not - in and of itself - constitute any "law" violation. :cry:

The point I am making is that just because you are a visitor from another country, that should not give you the right to be rude or disruptive. Disney is private property. If you can't follow their policies, then they have every right to (and should) kick you out.

rufio

I've actually never really minded people taking flash photos on dark rides. In fact, I kind of enjoy it because I like to see all of the things that are suddenly visible with the flash. For example, on SSE, someone took a flash photo in the planetarium area and I could see all of the props for a brief second. Suddenly I was immensely interested in seeing everything else. I'm not normally that guy (unless I mess up the settings on the camera), but it doesn't really bother me either way. Apparently I'm the exception to the rule though.

Uncle Lupe

You only need one CM per attraction to help stop these devious rule breakers.

_11339.jpg

Obi

why not enforce it more?

seems they are starting to enforce the fast pass times...

why not enforce the no flash photography?

Uncle Lupe

I come to enjoy a good flashing, when done properly.

draybook

If you're going to be a tourist in the US, then you need to learn how to behave here.

We were in a boat full of Brazilians on PoTC last September and this one girl felt she needed about 50 flash pictures of each scene. Each time she raised her camera, I put mine on that mutli-snap function and flashed away. She was lucky if 4 of her pictures came out correctly at all. My wife and kids(and others in the boat) were laughing hysterically by the end of the ride.

Timekeeper

why not enforce it more?

seems they are starting to enforce the fast pass times...

why not enforce the no flash photography?

Because it's not enforceable. The fastpass admission is enforceable because there is a CM who gets to physically inspect and admit guests with the appropriate passes. Photography, on the other hand, is not enforceable; CMs can only respond to a "violation" that has already taken place (with an announcement, show stoppage, or somehow punishing the guest after the fact). With fastpasses, CMs are stationed at the entrance (and even within the queues) to ensure proactive compliance with the policy.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
SHOULD they? Yes

WILL they? No

take my approach: when you see a J.A. using flash on a dark ride, say something. I have a big mouth so this isn't a problem for me :)

My other favorite thing to do: try to ruin their picture(s) everytime they use flash - if you're close enough.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Because it's not enforceable. The fastpass admission is enforceable because there is a CM who gets to physically inspect and admit guests with the appropriate passes. Photography, on the other hand, is not enforceable; CMs can only respond to a "violation" that has already taken place (with an announcement, show stoppage, or somehow punishing the guest after the fact). With fastpasses, CMs are stationed at the entrance (and even within the queues) to ensure proactive compliance with the policy.

Not true. There are video cameras all over each attraction. They can spot EXACTLY who is snapping the flash photos. It's far from forensic science.

sweetpee_1993

What if they put an undercover CM on eat boat so they can enforce?

I'll add to this: "....by promptly pitching them over the side!"

If you're going to be a tourist in the US, then you need to learn how to behave here.

Absolutely. Not understanding instructions because you don't speak the language isn't an excuse. If you're traveling somewhere with a language barrier you should do a little homework to make sure you can understand enough to follow instructions. If you don't understand, ask. :hammer:

I'd also like to point out that it's not that flash photography on dark rides is annoying, it's dangerous. Not everyone's eyes work perfectly. Blinding light can take an adjusting period to recover from. What happens if someone isn't seeing clearly and trips while exiting? Better still, sudden flashing in the dark can set off seizures. How's that for ruining someone's vacation???

G00fyDad

We were in a boat full of Brazilians on PoTC last September and this one girl felt she needed about 50 flash pictures of each scene. Each time she raised her camera, I put mine on that mutli-snap function and flashed away. She was lucky if 4 of her pictures came out correctly at all. My wife and kids(and others in the boat) were laughing hysterically by the end of the ride.

^^ This. :sohappy::sohappy:

take my approach: when you see a J.A. using flash on a dark ride, say something. I have a big mouth so this isn't a problem for me :)

^^ This too. :sohappy::sohappy:

My other favorite thing to do: try to ruin their picture(s) everytime they use flash - if you're close enough.

If you're that close don't ruin their flash pictures. Ruin their eyes. Reach over and snap a photo right in their face each time they snap one. They'll act really indignant the first time you do it but remind them that there are no flash photos allowed and they'll either quit or get really ticked off. Either one makes me happy. :D

Timekeeper

Not true. There are video cameras all over each attraction. They can spot EXACTLY who is snapping the flash photos. It's far from forensic science.

False. Observation does not constitute enforcement (unless, as I stated earlier, we are defining enforcement as punishment). There are many "red light cameras" in Orlando. But that doesn't prevent anyone from running red lights. It simply punishes them after the fact. And, at most, deters people who might be fearful of the punishment. But then we assume that people (1) know that the observation mechanism is in place, and (2) know what the punishment will be. A gross majority of guests are likely ignorant as to these particular points.

So sure, Disney can "punish" guests for flashing, but just as you can't unring the bell, you also can't unflash the strobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom