Disney discontinuing resort specific merchandise.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I think they need a Pumbas Nakasak line of clothing and souvenirs.

:)

WebWarthog01.jpg

The logo perhaps?

Computer Magic

No' What I meant was the way Disney markets itself (as if it were only for kids) makes me feel embarrased to be a Disney Fan sometimes.
take a look at this ad for Disneyland in the 60s.

Disneyland+Ad.jpg

Note the absence of the words "Magical" "Dreams" etc and the depiction of adults in the park.
A few years ago Disney actually ran ads in which the kids were in color and the teens and adults were in Black and White.
Back in the 90's there was commercials that showed adults having their honeymoon at Disney. All I see today is kids being the center. So I too am becoming concerned their marketing is centering too much on kids and not adult. Thus less merchandising for resort based items because that is more adult center.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
At the risk of playing Devils advocate, perhaps the marketing team have been playing with data and decided thats where the key guest wedge is located. Its easy to get transfixed by the big numbers and neglect the significant parties dont fit that profile.

As someone who now works in the marketing division of an ad agency, Im always amazed at how sincerely some of these thrusting young marketers talk bollocks as if the whole planet can be defined in a data slice. As I have often said, a visit to UK fan sites will clearly show the marketing is working as more folk are saying no Disney this trip its for kids.

DisneyNut2007

Wow! So that means that there will be even more room for Hannah Montana and High School Musical crap in the resort stores now! :sohappy::rolleyes:
:hammer::brick::hurl: :mad::fork:

Stop bashing Hannah Montanna and High School Musical! Give them a break, watch your language and be nice!

Bashing those franchises has already gotten old and sicknening! :hurl:

disneynut4u

I'm really bummed about this. We stay at a different resort every trip. We ALWAYS get the resort-specific mug and t-shirt for my son. This last trip, we stat at AS-sports and they just had the generic Celebrations mug. I hope they change their minds!!

sublimesting

Nooooo! I was gonna buy a Wilderness Lodge Totem Pole for my "Wilderness Room" I built in my house. It was to be themed like Wildernesss Lodge and I wanted a totem pole they sell there. The one with Mickey Goofy Donald and Humphrey

Computer Magic

Nooooo! I was gonna buy a Wilderness Lodge Totem Pole for my "Wilderness Room" I built in my house. It was to be themed like Wildernesss Lodge and I wanted a totem pole they sell there. The one with Mickey Goofy Donald and Humphrey
WL had some nice themed merchandise in 2006. Typing that I realized that was 4 years ago. The last time I saw real good themed merchandise.:(

Computer Magic

At the risk of playing Devils advocate, perhaps the marketing team have been playing with data and decided thats where the key guest wedge is located. Its easy to get transfixed by the big numbers and neglect the significant parties dont fit that profile.

As someone who now works in the marketing division of an ad agency, Im always amazed at how sincerely some of these thrusting young marketers talk bollocks as if the whole planet can be defined in a data slice. As I have often said, a visit to UK fan sites will clearly show the marketing is working as more folk are saying no Disney this trip its for kids.
I have to admit, I've been thinking I need to have kids in order to visit Disney. :mad::fork:

WDW Vacationer

Great.....I wanted to start getting pins from the resorts I've stayed at in NOV.:(

Disney....you have dissapointed me....what happened to the little things mattering?:cry:

This is low for Disney.:(

Foolish Mortal

If true, I guess they will somehow blame this on "guest demand" like they are blaming on many other changes. So much for me buying that $50 Poly polo shirt in Sept/Oct. Somebody at Disney better start listening to what their diehard customers actually WANT !!

sbkline

If true, I guess they will somehow blame this on "guest demand" like they are blaming on many other changes. So much for me buying that $50 Poly polo shirt in Sept/Oct. Somebody at Disney better start listening to what their diehard customers actually WANT !!

It doesn't really matter what us diehards want since we're in the minority even if we make repeat visits and the majority of guests only make that once in a lifetime visit. But if the majority of their business consists of those people who are on that once in a lifetime family vacation, and those people don't care about resort specific merchandise, then those are the numbers that they are going to base their decision on.

Having said all that, I certainly hope this isn't true. And if it is true, would it include even the pins? One of my goals is, anytime we stay at a new resort, to buy a pin from that resort. We've stayed at POR twice, and on the first visit, I bought a Port Orleans pin for my lanyard. I had planned on doing so again next year at Coronado Springs. It really sucks if they do, indeed, do away with resort specific merchandise.

But again, just to make up some numbers here, if there are 1,000 of us diehards who will make 3 trips in the next 3 years, and 20,000 people who will only go once in the next 3 years, that's still 20,000 one time visitors vs 3,000 visits by us diehards. So the spending statistics by the one time visitors would speak louder than the statistics of us diehards. Of course, I have no idea how accurate those numbers are, since I just made them up to illustrate my point. But I'm pretty confident, whatever the numbers are, the one time visitors far outnumber those of us who try to make it down once a year or more.

awalkinthepark

I worked retail back in my 20's and I am well aware of how much things are marked up and it is hard for me to buy anything that isn't red lined a few times over. I LOVED last years 40% off sale at XMas time....we were there for a long weekend and we were buying t-shirts left and right...Disney was still making a profit..but I didn't feel like I was throwing money away
like I do when I spent $26-30 when there is no sale. Right now people don't like to feel like they are wasting money...sure they are going to Disney for an expensive vacation but little Tyler can wear a brand new WalMart t-shirt for $7 instead of $20 for some generic Mickey shirt and mom and dad can put that extra $13 toward the food budget....and $9 cheese burger combos at the counter service restaurants probably aren't helping merchandise sales either. In our case we will usually skip the overpriced greasy food in favor of a table service restaurant....sure we end up paying more..but we feel that we received better quality and service for the price we do pay.

The other half of the problem
We are also frequent visitors...pre-kids I was flying down 4-5 times a year..3 week long vacations and long weekend trips...with kids we still came down 3 times a year and now that we live 45 minutes away we don't spend whole weeks of time at the parks but still spend about 20-25 days a year in the parks with day trips and long weekends. 10 years ago I would have no problem spending $500 on XMas ornaments/decorations in one trip...I could easily do the same today...but I already have it all..I have been looking at the same merchandise on the shelf for 10 years.

We were just at the MK on Tuesday and I was explaining to my husband why I don't like the '2009' shirts....I have always hated the 'dated' generic merchandise...to me it's just lazy on Disney's part.

JEANYLASER

What about Disney DVD's I need to know Does the Disney Hotels to discontinued of the disney DVD's! Because I love Disney dvd's!

Computer Magic

It doesn't really matter what us diehards want since we're in the minority even if we make repeat visits and the majority of guests only make that once in a lifetime visit. But if the majority of their business consists of those people who are on that once in a lifetime family vacation, and those people don't care about resort specific merchandise, then those are the numbers that they are going to base their decision on.

Having said all that, I certainly hope this isn't true. And if it is true, would it include even the pins? One of my goals is, anytime we stay at a new resort, to buy a pin from that resort. We've stayed at POR twice, and on the first visit, I bought a Port Orleans pin for my lanyard. I had planned on doing so again next year at Coronado Springs. It really sucks if they do, indeed, do away with resort specific merchandise.

But again, just to make up some numbers here, if there are 1,000 of us diehards who will make 3 trips in the next 3 years, and 20,000 people who will only go once in the next 3 years, that's still 20,000 one time visitors vs 3,000 visits by us diehards. So the spending statistics by the one time visitors would speak louder than the statistics of us diehards. Of course, I have no idea how accurate those numbers are, since I just made them up to illustrate my point. But I'm pretty confident, whatever the numbers are, the one time visitors far outnumber those of us who try to make it down once a year or more.
You make a good point, but you would think Disney promoting the DVC there would be many repeat visits. You would think DVC members would want to promote their home resort with a theme resort logo.

But I also think the DVC takes away from advertising to adults only and gear towards family. With 50 year lease, one would need to pass along to their kids. I know 50 years would put me in my 80's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom