Disney discontinuing resort specific merchandise.

DisKid

Apparently not too many people are not concern with resort merchandise, because there is only 3 pages of comments.

No...I think people are concerned with resort merch...

Sadly, I just think people aren't surprised by the idea..that's all.

First, it was the homogenization of merch around the parks

Second, it was the removal of the resort specific mugs

Now this.

Disappointing? ABSOLUTELY.
Surprising? Sadly not.

We have some Wilderness lodge coasters that we bought back in 1996 and they are without a doubt our family's favorite merch. It's quality-made and resort specific...we just keep saying we're glad we purchased the good merch when Disney made merch worth buying.

I won't buy generic character merch. So, actually this deal might be best for me...it will save me plenty of $$$.

s8film40

Original Poster
Hi All,
I usually lurk on the boards but I'm a little confused by the statement made by the manager. Disneyland just came out with a BUNCH of different merchandise specifically for the 40th anniversary of their Haunted Mansion. If the statement were true, wouldn't it be hypocritical for Disney to make merchandise specific to the event, let alone specific to the park?
It seams to me that resort specific merchandise is more sought after because when it's up on Ebay it always goes fast at a high price.
I could be wrong, but it just seams a little fishy to me since Disney usually has long standing business relationships with their suppliers due to the fact that the costs for smaller runs are low because of the volume of different products that one company may make for Disney. My wife's company makes a lot of things for Disney, some are specific to the cruise lines and some is sold at all the Disney Parks. And trust me, Disney doesn't pay hardly anything for product. The reason companies like doing business with them is the fact that once your "in", you can expect alot of business in volume so you pretty much bend over backwards to keep them happy.
Just a thought, but I'm a little suspect of that statement. Everything that Disney sells has lots of profit built into it already. Even if it's on the clearance rack their still making alot of profit.
;)
It seems to me that Disney's business decisions very consistently don't make very much sense. They discontinued the resort monorail toy's while there was still a very high demand for them. When they sold at the resort they were $25 - $35 now they sell on eBay from $200 - $300. They frequently have quick service food locations closed supposedly because they have "staffing issues", when your selling $10 - $15 quick service food entrees at a steady pace $7 - $10 an hour employees shouldn't determine whether you can operate or not. Maybe they should put their executives though some basic business courses I think they could benefit from a good understanding of supply and demand.

TheAbidingDude

It seems to me that Disney's business decisions very consistently don't make very much sense. They discontinued the resort monorail toy's while there was still a very high demand for them. When they sold at the resort they were $25 - $35 now they sell on eBay from $200 - $300. They frequently have quick service food locations closed supposedly because they have "staffing issues", when your selling $10 - $15 quick service food entrees at a steady pace $7 - $10 an hour employees shouldn't determine whether you can operate or not. Maybe they should put their executives though some basic business courses I think they could benefit from a good understanding of supply and demand.

I totally agree.
Unfortunately, in true Disney corporate wisdom,this would probably backfire on the customer(us). Next year we'll see the monorail toys back on the shelves with $200.00 + price tags because a Disney spy was browsing the forums and figured due to strong customer demand they feel justified in the price point of the merchandise.:ROFLOL:
Didn't they just do something like this with ticket prices?

dreamfinder

Hi All,
I usually lurk on the boards but I'm a little confused by the statement made by the manager. Disneyland just came out with a BUNCH of different merchandise specifically for the 40th anniversary of their Haunted Mansion. If the statement were true, wouldn't it be hypocritical for Disney to make merchandise specific to the event, let alone specific to the park?
It seams to me that resort specific merchandise is more sought after because when it's up on Ebay it always goes fast at a high price.

Thats because it is "limited". If you slap a limited edition tag on something, you can raise the cost 10 bucks, if not more. The "aloha" shirts for the HM event, MSRP $75 I believe, the same non limited type shirt would go for about 50 or so. So that extra $25 per shirt covers up the cost of a short run.

I could be wrong, but it just seams a little fishy to me since Disney usually has long standing business relationships with their suppliers due to the fact that the costs for smaller runs are low because of the volume of different products that one company may make for Disney. My wife's company makes a lot of things for Disney, some are specific to the cruise lines and some is sold at all the Disney Parks. And trust me, Disney doesn't pay hardly anything for product. The reason companies like doing business with them is the fact that once your "in", you can expect alot of business in volume so you pretty much bend over backwards to keep them happy.

To a point, yeah. Buying 10,000 white shirts, doesn't cost all that much less than buying 5,000 red and 5,000 white (since for some reason I still can't fathom colored shirts usually cost more). But the cost to make each shirt unique does cost a bit. Yes, it may be spread out over the cost of the massive print run they do, but you still need different set ups, screens, and even the person to do the design. So someone comparing pure cost, sees 1,000 identical shirts for say 40,000 in sales generating 30,000 in profit, or 500 + 500 shirts for the same 40,000 in sales, but only generating 29,000 in profit, it's a no brainer. Save the 1,000 and BAM! I just paid for my front row parking spot for the year. Do that 50,60 times, you just justified your raise. Then throw in the cost of having to support a few extra thousand SKU's, the difference does grow. Might seem cheap on the per item cost, maybe 10-15 cents, but that adds up.

To echo some PP's thoughts, its a bad move. Say Johnny would buy 5 shirts, 1 from each park, and 1 from his resort. Each shirt made a 24 dollar profit for Disney, for a total of 120 in profit. But then Susy goes after they homogenized the shirts, and only finds 1 2009 Disney Parks tee, with a 30 dollar profit. Disney loses 90 in profits. This may be a bit simplified, but I'm sure we all get the idea. And then when profits go down, they assume people didn't have enough places to buy that same shirt, so they build another kiosk to cram the same stuff down our throats. Or raise park admission, or heck, raise the cost on the generic shirts to try to meet the same profit margin.

I don't want to go to WDW and buy another plain Mickey head polo, I want a unique shirt darn it. Dates, events, places, those make it meaningful. Mickey head? I can go buy the same style at Mal Wart for half the cost. So why bother?

Imagine pin trading if they only had 5 or 10 pins a year. Everyone would have to buy the same pin. And all of sudden, it's dead. All of the merch goes the same way. Last few trips I think I spent under 100 bucks on stuff for the two of us. Know how hard it was to find a decent photo album that fits more than 1 size photo? Not happening unless you buy a Disney scrapbook. Want my money? I'm there and willing to spend it, but give me good stuff. Something unique, something that I want to have, not more glo-stuff I can get at any fireworks display.....

rshell68

Second, it was the removal of the resort specific mugs

So, actually this deal might be best for me...it will save me plenty of $$$.

I suppose you are right we should have seen this coming when the mugs went all to the same design.

I do love your positive thinking. It will definately save me alot of money also. heehee

It was just nice to have a little something from the resort you stayed in.

Whoop! 200th post

JustPlainBill

Apparently it must be true, because I have noticed myself on my last trip to WDW that there was a decline in resort specific merchandise offered. I like to purchase items (mostly shirts) that are specific to that years vacation as sort of a rememberence. This past year while staying at the Contemporary, I could only find a polo/golf shirt with the resorts name on it, nothing else. I didn't really like the color, but I bought it anyway, luckily they had my size. It looked like it was on clearance, there wasn't much of them. I really wanted to have something tied to the Contemporary. I was very disappointed. It was the same when I stayed at the Poly the year before.
If WDW continues to go this way, I too, will not be spending my money on generic merchandise. I had budgeted some money for souvenirs on this last vacation. I only spent a 1/4 of the money and took 3/4 back home with me, no exaggeration. Only because I couldn't find anything I wanted to spend it on that I liked.

SirNim

The only possible way that a complete removal of specific merchandise could be mitigated is if print-on-demand is used and perhaps expanded to other locations. If that's the only option for a resort-specific t-shirt, then so be it. It will cost more, and the quality may or may not measure up, but it will be an option. There really ought to be an option.

worldfanatic

I was talking with a manager at a resort gift shop and she said that Disney was in the process of discontinuing all resort specific merchandise. She said once everything that was left in their inventory was gone it would not be replaced. She said that due to smaller production runs the profit margin on resort specific items is less than items like mickey shirts.

I don't know???

People love the resorts almost as much as the parks.

Say what you will about the overall decline in unique merchandise, but I have a hard time believing Disney is this stupid?

I, for one, don't buy this.

tirian

If WDW continues to go this way, I too, will not be spending my money on generic merchandise. I had budgeted some money for souvenirs on this last vacation. I only spent a 1/4 of the money and took 3/4 back home with me, no exaggeration. Only because I couldn't find anything I wanted to spend it on that I liked.

I believe you. One of my friends came a few weeks ago with a $500 merch budget. He spent about $40.

tirian

I don't know???

People love the resorts almost as much as the parks.

Say what you will about the overall decline in unique merchandise, but I have a hard time believing Disney is this stupid?

I, for one, don't buy this.

It's possible that the merchandise is simply being scaled back, not discontinued outright.

wserratore1963

I was talking with a manager at a resort gift shop and she said that Disney was in the process of discontinuing all resort specific merchandise. She said once everything that was left in their inventory was gone it would not be replaced. She said that due to smaller production runs the profit margin on resort specific items is less than items like mickey shirts.
Oh my; that would stink. The beauty of buying at the resort or specific ride etc is just that; UNIQUE. Generic Disney would stink

LaughingGravy

Plain White T-shirt
Arial Font, Black Letters upper right "Walt Disney World"
$30.00 (It has the blue and white tag on the inside though).

"After research, we determined the guest wanted a better value.
While other T-shirts in the same store are priced at $35, we feel this provides a better value for our guest."

GrannyJill2

Oh, shoot! Every year I spend less and less on souvenirs, because I can't find anything that is different from what Wal-Mart carries.

It's bad enough all the stores in the parks carry the same stuff - oh well....

wendysmom

any idea if the same goes for DVC resorts?

I've noticed the lack of resort-specific stuff at the DVC resorts, and a whole lot of generic DVC shirts, etc. It seems crazy to me, why would I want to be dressed like a DVC employee?? :shrug: I think the plan is just plain stupid. They make money off from returning visitors...who don't want or need yet another Mickey shirt. I find myself walking through the stores and right back out with nothing. Yes, it saves me money, but I enjoy wearing/ looking at things that bring back memories. Sad that those days are over.:(

Duckberg

WDW needs BUYING customers

I've notice less and less resort merchandise over the last 3-4 years. If this is true, its really a huge mistake. I have tons of polo shirts with resort (and park-specific, too) embroidered logos. Its the number 1 souvenir I buy when I'm there, and usually I come home with 2-3 new ones. Net effect is they'll lose that revenue from me (at whatever margin) and replace it with $0.00 revenue. Anyone know who we can reach in WDW management to voice dissenting opinions?

Gary

gbruenin, seems to me your JUST the kind of buying guest that WDW needs so many more of right now. Then to cut back on inventory/selection :brick: Duckberg :veryconfu

Computer Magic

I always look for embroidered logos shirts/sweatshirts. They last the longest or use to. We shall see, I hope to at least get a new AKL cap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom