Serious Post - Annual Reminder!!!

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Many of you will be starting daylight savings time tonight, so will be setting your clocks forward.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE change the batteries in your smoke detector(s) at the same time!!!!

Ten years ago this month, my friend neglected to do so, and it cost her her life, and that of her two lovely, sweet, daughters. (ages 8 and 10 at the time) The fire never touched them; they died of smoke inhalation. If she(or her husband) had taken two minutes, and spent a few pennies for a new battery, he would still have his family.

Taking a few extra minutes tonight could save your life, and the lives of those you love.

ACE

This is so true. I work as a Safety Inspector for the Navy and it's always the little things that we seem to forget that have the biggest impact.

Remember Mom's always right. Now go change those smoke detector batteries right now. I mean it, right now! We're not going anywhere, we'll wait right here for you. Take your time, get all of them, no hurry.

Let me be the first to say THANK YOU! I'm sure your friends and loved ones will Thank You too.

Take Care & Be Safe,
:wave: ACE

P.S. Thanks Mom, You're the Best!

Debbie

I'm even going to take this a step further and put a brand new one up. I don't trust the one we have now; and for just a few dollars, noone can justify not having them.

Shaman

Aw..sorry to hear about your friend...:(

But your reminder will not fall on deaf ears...I will check them today...thanks for the advice!!

darthdarrel

THank you for the reminder The Mom!
The apartments I live in always change the batteries in our smoke detectors every 6 months so I`m covered! :D Sorry to hear about your friends, that is so tragic! :(

tigsmom

And please check the Carbon Monoxide detectors, too. Thats how I lost a friend and her little one. Her husband came home from work and found them.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by tigsmom
And please check the Carbon Monoxide detectors, too. Thats how I lost a friend and her little one. Her husband came home from work and found them.
That`s always a good thing to do!
I have a friend who was saved by his carbon monoxide alarm, I have one in our apartment, although there is no real need for one being that our heating/Central air is electric.

guwag

Thanks to The Mom for reminding us :kiss:

For those of you that aren't as good with remembering things, there are Smoke Detectors that you can buy that are totally sealed and have a 10 year battery in them such as the one here http://www.kiddeus.com/440377.shtml , once the battery is empty you chuck them and buy a new one - if you won't remember the batteries each six months then make a note to buy one of these types while it's fresh on your mind.

Need I say more....

"The spokeswoman said the property was not fitted with smoke alarms, which could have saved Mrs Montgomery's life."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3588731.stm

"A teenager has died in hospital after being rescued from a house fire. .... Firefighters found two smoke alarms in the house but neither was working"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3504312.stm

"Relatives of a family of four who were killed when fire swept through their home, say they could have been saved if smoke alarms had been fitted.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/3225641.stm

WDWFREAK53

:eek:

Wow...that's something that I would've never thought of!!! Thanks for the reminder!!!

Sorry...so sorry to hear about your friends :(

macsmom

The news reports usually remind us about changing the batteries when discussing the time change, but I can honestly say I have not heard it this year. Thanks for the reminder, because I had forgotten.

danna

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just a reminder for those of you who might not have checked your batteries last April....DO IT!!!! PLEASE.

WDWFigment

Thanks for the reminder. This is such an easy thing to do, but one that is so easy to forget. Definitely important, too. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom