Time to ditch the Monorail?

ohioguy

Original Poster
Who thinks it's time to ditch the monorail system, in relation to the Magic Kingdom?

There is plenty of space to build a large parking lot to the west of the MK.

While the monorial has been a fun and exciting way to reach the park, it has become a hassle in the unloading/loading department; especially in peak seasons, and especially now that there is no 'down' time. There just seem to be too many visitors and it has led to bottlenecks and outrageously long waits. Ideally, you don't want a waiting line to be the first experience of the park, which is what the monorail gives us.

I know this idea will be sacrilegious to some, but front gate parking at the other three parks has been successful. Direct parking at the Magic Kingdom to the west, with easy tram and walking access to the gates, maintains the lagoon without the extra step of the monorail.

Champion

The monorail and ferry system was created to create a 'sense of arrival' to MK. That it was 'away from everything'. So they wouldn't build a parking lot right next to it.

You're right that the monorail is inefficient for WDW's traffic flow, but getting rid of what they have isn't the right move.

That said, I don't think you're aware of the kind of craziness that comes from a monorail thread.

raven

I think you might be on your own on this one. The monorail and boats give your a sense of being transported to a "magical kingdom" as they planned it that way. I love it and hope they never get rid of it.

Erika

You are using logic. I don't like logic. I like the monorail :lol:

I see your point, but for a lot of people the monorail is just as much an attraction as the rides inside the parks.

JustPlainBill

I myself have always been a propontent of monorail travel. I always try to stay at a monorail resort. My last trip to WDW was a few weeks ago and I found myself traveling back and forth to my resort using the launch instead. For the reasons you described the monorail, at least leaving the parks was more congested. However if the monorail system is scrapped the launches would be so inundated with guests it would not be a benifit. My biggest disappointment with the monorail this last visit was how unkept and dirty they have become. Guests are leaving their trash behind in the cars. I noticed the upholstery was in bad shape, air conditioning not working properly in the cars I was riding in. Monorail Pink was in especially bad shape. The monorail to and from Epcot seemed to be fine. If improvements are made I'd like to see an expansion of this method of travel. The launches are good, The buses weren't as bad as I thought they would be, but this is my least favorite method of travel.

hack2112

Be careful what you say around here...:lookaroun

I sense a disturbance in the force. :p

We all do yeti, we all do...

Oh, and I do understand your logic, but I don't like it. Plus, if you stay at a non-monorail resort, you are taken directly into the park, I believe. At least I was since I always stay at OKW. The monorail is one thing that is almost synonymous to Disney. It lets you know you're in Disney, the happiest place on earth, it's time to have fun. So in the end, you're fighting, an uphill, battle that you're going to lose. I would wave the white flag if I were you. I really would.

Brett

While it would be nice to walk to the Magic Kingdom, the monorail/boats give a sense of arrival to the park.

And besides that, the monorail is one of the "must-ride attractions" every trip for me. You have to do the loop!

Mansion Butler

The monorail and ferry system was created to create a 'sense of arrival' to MK. That it was 'away from everything'. So they wouldn't build a parking lot right next to it.

You're right that the monorail is inefficient for WDW's traffic flow, but getting rid of what they have isn't the right move.

That said, I don't think you're aware of the kind of craziness that comes from a monorail thread.

To back you up, Disney's order of importance:

1. Safety
2. Courtesy
3. Show
4. Efficiency

That right there should explain why the monorail will stay.

castlecake2.0

In my opinion, I have no facts or numbers or anything to back me up, but it seems to me no matter where the parking lot is located there will always be issues in the amount of people trying to exit at the same time. Though you have bottlenecks sometimes at the monorail at closing I think it helps spread out the crowds a bit. If the parking lot was located right next to the park I picture people running through the lot trying to get to their cars first, long line ups for the trams for people at the back of the lot, and cast members having a difficult time doing crowd control to make sure people are getting through the lot safely. Plus, as mentioned before, the lagoon was a very specific part of the design, seperating an unmagical parking lot from the magic kingdom.

EPCOT Explorer

To me,the monorail is part of the Disney Experince.I even ride it to Epcot when I could easily park in their parking lot.

I would hate to see it go,even if it were to save time.:)

MickeyDent

The monorail has GOT to stay!! The feeling of excitment and anticipation while riding it to the front gate is on par with creeping down the stairs on Christmas morning when you were a kid!! Doesn't matter how inefficient it is, the monorail must stay..

jt04

Adding Attractions and capacity to the other parks is the best way to relieve the crowds at MK. I think this is why there are so many rumors about E rides at DS and Epcot. It is just a matter of creating more reasons to visit the other parks. :sohappy:

a2grafix

Regardless if there is a wait or not or a bottleneck getting to and from the monorial, eliminating the monorail to the Magic Kingdom is out of the question. End of topic.

The reason for the bottlenecks and ques into and out of the Magic Kingdom turnstiles is the popularity of the entire WDW experience. If you eliminate the monorail exit / entrance to the Magic Kingdom, WDW in its entirety will suffer greatly.

I echo the statements above ^^^ that the way the Magic Kingdom was developed, as well as the resorts around the Magic Kingdom monorail loop, is to create a very real sense of "getting away from it all."

And don't believe these bottlenecks have been around recently. Even though my last trip to WDW was in August 1993 (I'm going back after a 14-year absence this October) bottlenecks and slowdowns in and around the monorial (at peak times during the day / evening) happened back in the 1980s and 1990s.

Riding the monorail is part of the experience of attending the Magic Kingdom. Do it at least once, or twice, or as much as you can.

Oh, and riding the monorial at night or overnight is so cool.

ohioguy

Original Poster
Adding Attractions and capacity to the other parks is the best way to relieve the crowds at MK. I think this is why there are so many rumors about E rides at DS and Epcot. It is just a matter of creating more reasons to visit the other parks. :sohappy:

be careful about mentioning E-Rides at Epcot..... the EPCOT purists may get you. I think EPCOT is about to become far more thrill park in nature. I can just see a Switzerland pavilion with the Matterhorn right now.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Who thinks it's time to ditch the monorail system, in relation to the Magic Kingdom?

There is plenty of space to build a large parking lot to the west of the MK..
Not me. As mentioned, the MK begins when you park your car and wait for the tram to the T&TC. The other parks work well, but none have SSL outside their gate.

Plus the area to the west is a mix of non-developable and west resort expansion, not to mention the main access will be from a future Western Way / Western Beltway link, not Floridian Way.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
be careful about mentioning E-Rides at Epcot..... the EPCOT purists may get you. I think EPCOT is about to become far more thrill park in nature. I can just see a Switzerland pavilion with the Matterhorn right now.....
nah - think further east than Switzerland (or west for you yanks!) ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom