Time to ditch the Monorail?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I do the TTC to MK all the time on my time off or before work (sometimes just to get a dole whip), it's not that bad at all. Many find the monorail quick enough that they'll stand on the platform for another train with an open seat. Because standing on the non-AC platform is better than standing on an AC train and being at the destination... :ROFLOL: but, it's their vacation.
A minor point, but sometimes there's a different explanation that may or may not be easily discernible. I am an example, I can't stand on a moving vehicle. I have had all but two of my toes amputated as a result of frostbite and as a result have balance problems trying to stand on something that moves and stops unpredictably. Combine that with the fact that all of my fingers were amputated for the same reason and I can't hold on to the bars provided [I do have some grip, three of those toes were amputated to transfer them to my hand, but it's not enough]. So guests waiting for another train may very well have a valid reason.

Sorry, but assuming that because others don't do what you would do they're just foolish isn't fair to them and diminishes you.

Krozar

Trust me, you don't need to tell me about the efficiency of monorails. (Proud member of the Monorail Society! :D ) I just know that I've had more breakdowns, and more things not working on the trains more than ever in the last year. I don't blame it on the monorails themselves, it's just that they're getting older and I think they've just started taking a "Wait until it breaks to fix it." approach to upkeep. And I do have to agree about the air conditioning. I have had very warm rides on the Monorail recently. (But it may be due to crowds.)

I actully think it may be the Monorail Society thing that makes me want to see some new trains.
:lol:

(Edit: I have to also say a peoplemover wouldn't work. Because Peoplemovers are better at doing local stops, not one far away station. )

I would LOVE to see new trains :D The A/C problem is typically due to the driver not noticing. We are used to the humidity and heat and are not in a crowded car. Sometimes drivers even wear their jackets during the summer. Just politely ask the host(ess) to have the vent switched to a/c. Drivers rarely even look at the environmental screen. So you can help us out by letting us know. (even though, admittedly, you shouldn't have to) because sometimes a breaker does flip.

A minor point, but sometimes there's a different explanation that may or may not be easily discernible. I am an example, I can't stand on a moving vehicle. I have had all but two of my toes amputated as a result of frostbite and as a result have balance problems trying to stand on something that moves and stops unpredictably. Combine that with the fact that all of my fingers were amputated for the same reason and I can't hold on to the bars provided [I do have some grip, three of those toes were amputated to transfer them to my hand, but it's not enough]. So guests waiting for another train may very well have a valid reason.

Sorry, but assuming that because others don't do what you would do they're just foolish isn't fair to them and diminishes you.

It's annoying when it blocks access to a car and guests hesitate, and worse, break their parties up. It forces a slowdown for everyone. If you don't want to board, that's fine, just move to the very end gate and let others on. If you have a valid condition, which you obviously do, then let a host know of this so they can secure a seat for you. That's what we're there for and will be more than happy to assist. If the car has already filled up, then it's a simple matter of getting a healthy person to get off a seat.

Texas84

1) We usually stay on site so the bus takes us to the front door.

2) Take a boat. Much faster. We ride the Monorail for fun from Epcot.

majortom1981

hmm

I was just at the park for the past week and found the monorail very cool and very efficient.

I know it cost a lot to extend it. Is the extra cost fotr the concrete or the trains themselves? Here on Long Island our trains run on elevated tracks on concrete sort of similiar to the monorail ones.

So adding a train would cost the same right?

jmvd20

I was just at the park for the past week and found the monorail very cool and very efficient.

I know it cost a lot to extend it. Is the extra cost fotr the concrete or the trains themselves? Here on Long Island our trains run on elevated tracks on concrete sort of similiar to the monorail ones.

So adding a train would cost the same right?

Most of the cost comes from the stations and trains followed by the cost to install all of the electrical components (including the rectifiers). The pre-formed concrete posts and beams, and cost to erect them are small in terms of the overall cost of the system.

EPCOT.nut

I know everything is crazy in WDW in the height of summer and it is a PIA dealing with the crowds on the way and the monorail being the main way to get to the park...I do forget about that because I live in Florida and go to WDW a few times a year...just not in the summer! :ROFLOL::eek:

I have so many memories over the last 32 years of going to MK and riding the monorail. First as a little kid - being scared and sitting with my grandma while she pointed out all the shrubs manicured into the shapes of Disney creatures..
they are long gone but most of the time when I ride the monorail I feel like she is sitting with me.

I just can't imagine MK without the monorail. Maybe they can entertain other options of people entering the park, and those that don't want to ride the monorail could make room for those of us that do! That would be pretty awesome. :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
you know that scene in Full Metal Jacket when the soldier Pyle (sp?) is lagging behind and the other troops have to take up for his slack... well, this is nothing like that in relation, but, when the other soldiers get tired of it... they take a bar of soap and put it in a sock.... and you probably know the rest. im not saying if you were in the top bunk at camp id do this to you for such a crazy thought as to get rid of the monorail... but the 2 ideas are absolutely the craziest thing ive ever heard of.

is this an idea you came up with after someone beat you down with a bar of soap in a sock. :veryconfu

RiversideBunny

you know that scene in Full Metal Jacket when the soldier Pyle (sp?) is lagging behind and the other troops have to take up for his slack... well, this is nothing like that in relation, but, when the other soldiers get tired of it... they take a bar of soap and put it in a sock.... and you probably know the rest. im not saying if you were in the top bunk at camp id do this to you for such a crazy thought as to get rid of the monorail... but the 2 ideas are absolutely the craziest thing ive ever heard of.

is this an idea you came up with after someone beat you down with a bar of soap in a sock. :veryconfu

Yeah, Private Leonard.
And while you're at it, why not get rid of Mickey Mouse. He's getting old and he causes congestion in the parks when people try to see him.
Yeah, he would have to go, too.
:mad: :mad:

Ivan72

Along with buying a huge tract of land and keeping MK away from the perimeter, the monorail was part of Walts attempt to prevent the ugly blight from creeping too close, as happenned in Disneyland. It also separates Mk as a truly special park in WDW. And it's a great ride in itself! Not to mention it's the source of our family's favorite WDW catch phrase.

Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas. Get's us excited instantly.:sohappy:

CThaddeus

Try working there day in and day out. I am lucky that I go in to work at Westgate, but many are not that luckly. Most CMs have to park WAYYY back behind MK in the massive cast parking where they have to walk to westclock without the aid of a tram. Then wait for a shuttle to the main tunnel entrance, walk a long way through that stank and depressing place, get to a break room to put their lunch box in a fridge and personal items in day lockers, and then get to work, only to be bitched at by the rudest people on earth..

As a former CM at Disneyland, I understand that I would not get to park in an area that's close and convenient. I wouldn't expect to. While it would be nice, I know that I'm not the paying guest and therefore should be inconvenienced a little so that the guest isn't. As for the guests, are you sure you're in the right line of work if you think your job is nothing but being "bitched at by the rudest people on earth...?" I never felt that way when I worked at Disneyland. I usually found if I was nice to them, generally they were nice to me...at least they were in attractions. At the ticket booths, well...parting with your money is never a pleasant thing. I expected a bit of grouchiness there. Maybe the bitchiness you encounter is due to the reasons I mentioned in my post (ie. having to wait 45 minutes to get on the Monorail or Ferry, only to have to walk from the station to the loading area for the trams, and then wait until the tram comes). I'm sorry, but if the first and last impressions of the Magic Kingdom are long waits, that's a real buzzkill to some people and it's just not the last memory you want to leave people with.

Welcome to theme parks. Sorry, but that's just the truth of it. If it ruins the happiness, why come back? The place is probably not for you. Sounds like you need a relaxing vacation. I always enjoy Mexico around Playa del Carmen and the all-inclusive resorts there.

I love how some people's knee-jerk reaction to something is just to say don't come here anymore, or don't ride it anymore. I love the Disney Parks, but I'm not a complete yes-man for them. If I see something I think could be improved, I'll say so. And I'm sorry, but I think it might be a bigger problem than you know. There were a lot of unhappy people in that "queue" I was stuck in that night. And it's definitely not the first time. If that's the last impression of Disney World people take home with them, then I think something is wrong. My friends certainly weren't thrilled, but when I assured them that there was no lake in front of the other Parks, they let it go. The Magic Kingdom is still my favorite of the Disney World Parks, but I'm just not a fan of the time it takes to get to it and leave it. And for the record, I hate "relaxing vacations" like the ones you mentioned. I'd rather be in a Disney Park, thank you very much.
As for the Peoplemover idea, as long as the cars are big enough and the loading platform is long enough, I don't see wheelchairs and strollers as being a horrendous problem. Whether or not people can handle three different options to get to the Park is really neither here nor there. Eventually, they'll figure it out, and if someone like you is there to direct them, then I think the problem has already been solved.
Ultimately, I just want the guest experience to be all that I know it could be. Another form of transportation is a good start. I'd even go for buses that drop you off where the other resort buses go near the entrance. Or, better yet, have trams that take you to a similar spot near the entrance.

Krozar

are you sure you're in the right line of work if you think your job is nothing but being "bitched at by the rudest people on earth...?"

I love how some people's knee-jerk reaction to something is just to say don't come here anymore, or don't ride it anymore.

Hi, Kettle :D

I am rarely bitched at and when I am, it doesn't bother me. My friends and roomies here do work in roles where they have to deal directly with guests. Resort front desks get it extremely bad. It's not just some grouchiness--not even close! Merch, GR, and turnstiles get it bad as well. I attribute it to traveling being stressful and people not used to the crowds, environment, and weather. So yah, people will be far worse than back at home. Doesn't bother me at all. My love for the monorails (love affair since I was knee-high to a ________ ant) far outweighs any of that mess. I do have fun with many guests, some make me smile as well.

As a former CM at Disneyland, I understand that I would not get to park in an area that's close and convenient. I wouldn't expect to.

Should also not expect it in a park that you know is across the lagoon because of Walt's vision. I like it, it's unique, and we all know about it.

I love the Disney Parks, but I'm not a complete yes-man for them.

I am far from that. Monorails and the SSL is Walt Disney the man, not TWDC. They would never have the vision to have done what Walt did. Okay, maybe not lacking vision, but lacking the ability to financially pull it off. The dreamers with the money are gone and have been replaced by those fattening their portfolios.

It's great that you're not a "yes man." They aren't looking out for you at all. If they had any decency, they would have done simple things such as replace the KTTW cards a long time ago with something that doesn't ________ off a good portion of guests.

If I see something I think could be improved, I'll say so. And I'm sorry, but I think it might be a bigger problem than you know. There were a lot of unhappy people in that "queue" I was stuck in that night. And it's definitely not the first time. If that's the last impression of Disney World people take home with them, then I think something is wrong. My friends certainly weren't thrilled, but when I assured them that there was no lake in front of the other Parks, they let it go.

There are ways for Disney to alleviate the situation, but they are not. At least not at a respectable speed. Many CMs in monorails can tell you how to make guests happier up there. It's not rocket science to simply make much wider platforms so people can have some personal space. Guests can easily forgive the 4 minute ride, but the platforms are poorly designed. However, Disney is not completely ignoring the problem. Expect Lime's car configuration to appear on all trains. It's a million times better for everyone. Would have been even better if it was possible to remove the center bench. Be closer to Japanese cabin design. The most ideal situation is wider express platforms w/ A/C would be extremely ideal. Just like at the Contemporary, no reason a monorail can't operate in an indoor station with air doors at the ramps and train ports. It's actually, a great idea.

Suggest it to Disney.

As for the TTC, it needs an overhaul. Many small ramps. A good example is the resort ramp which is two way. Another is the express which is divided in two small parts to allow CM access and also for switching over folks to resort when express goes one-way at night. Plus the south end of the express platform is very confined. To make things worse, every morning a temporary pole and rope queue is set up and not covered, along with most of the express ramp.

But personally, I find a lot more breathing room on the MK monorail ramp than in the tight confines of queues such as space mountain...ick

Ultimately, I just want the guest experience to be all that I know it could be. Another form of transportation is a good start. I'd even go for buses that drop you off where the other resort buses go near the entrance. Or, better yet, have trams that take you to a similar spot near the entrance.

If they would go that far as to build a massive peoplemover, then would it not be just as wise to build another express loop? It would be able to handle way more people.

Buses? c'mon. 30 people at best on a typical Disney bus, that's 1/10th a single monorail train.

Ideally, the monorail queue should constantly be moving, brining 300 people onto a platform causes a massive vacuum along the queue and by the time people situate themselves, the gates are closed and more are directed on the platform. trains should be in and out. That's why we yell "step on or step off, next train in 1 minute!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom