News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Jrb1979

Out of everything that has gone on with Disney in the past few years, from reservations to Genie+, Tron not being Pooh sized friendly seems to have the most negative feedback out of all of them. In not just talking about here but other social media sites.

celluloid

It is unreal that from launch to tunnel to unload ride time is less than a minute.

The video POV launches at 31 seconds and after the unload tunnel light show is over.

Even if you do not count the initial dip and speed tunnel of space mountain and only start at the top of the chainhill, Space Mountain is longer.

celluloid

If Disney had to become obsessed with an underperforming adventure film from several decades ago, why couldn’t it have been something fun like Rocketeer or Dick Tracy?

Bob Iger has said to love Tron.

Tron Legacy is what this ride is connected to which is a part of Iger's hubris.
And he has another one in the works. This was a clone for MK because it was a synergy move.

If Bob was remaking Dick Tracey and if the Rocketeer Disney Plus plan took off, you can bet we would see one in DHS or Magic Kingdom, maybe even EPCOT or Animal Kingdom.

Buried20KLeague

The ride is in one location globally. It’s a unique and groundbreaking experience for a majority of the people attending. Not sure where else I’m going to go to get this experience. It goes beyond vehicle design but the whole project as a whole. Again, for me it is revolutionary and groundbreaking when you look at the project as a whole. You want to call it copy and paste go for it. With that said there is nothing factual about your facts. It is an opinion.

Tell me you’re American without saying you’re American.

Buried20KLeague

It is unreal that from launch to tunnel to unload ride time is less than a minute.

The video POV launches at 31 seconds and after the unload tunnel light show is over.

Even if you do not count the initial dip and speed tunnel of space mountain and only start at the top of the chainhill, Space Mountain is longer.

Wait till you ride it. I’m telling you, it is SHORT.

Buried20KLeague

It is an exact replica of Singapore. With that said, the "Copy and Paste" tag is being used to discredit what many people consider to be an amazing attraction. Like I said, it is still a unique attraction unless you've been on the Singapore Tron ride, which is very few and far between. Thats my point.
Lol

Buried20KLeague

RnRc is more than just the ride though, it has a pre-show experience and sort of build-up to the ride. Not having seen a lot of the queue area of TRON yet (even the Shanghai one), is there any type of pre-show?

Think Disneyland’s space mountain que.

There’s a room in the line with a smoked glass wall that clears up to see the train as it goes to launch.

And there’s a ton of daft punk. That I guess you could dance to. So…. Pre-show? Maybe?

BubbaisSleep

It is an exact replica of Singapore. With that said, the "Copy and Paste" tag is being used to discredit what many people consider to be an amazing attraction. Like I said, it is still a unique attraction unless you've been on the Singapore Tron ride, which is very few and far between. Thats my point.
I have to agree. The length & construction time complaints I understand but using copy & paste to discount people’s excitement? Most of us aren’t going to Shanghai anytime soon. Outside of Tomorrowland, Magic Kingdom itself is pretty much a less-charming copy & paste of another park so what is the problem? Does that mean the much weaker version of POTC is also discounted as an imagineering marvel & guests who will probably never visit DLR or DLP shouldn’t be amazed by it?

Jrb1979

I would agree with it being unique if not for the fact a better motorcycle coaster is at the park down the road

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tron Legacy grossed $400 million during its worldwide theatrical run against a $170 million production budget.....that does not include the marketing budget I don't think, so it probably did more than break even and probably made some merchandise sales.

Also, it's a super easy concept to understand, so people don't need to have watched the movie to fully comprehend what's going on.

No Name

Tron Legacy grossed $400 million during its worldwide theatrical run against a $170 million production budget.....that does not include the marketing budget I don't think, so it probably did more than break even and probably made some merchandise sales.

Also, it's a super easy concept to understand, so people don't need to have watched the movie to fully comprehend what's going on.
$400 million in box office means Disney probably made around $200 million in revenue, so unless they spent $30 million or less in marketing (they didn’t), it was a loss.

And I don’t think the ride makes it particularly clear that you’re trying to avoid crashing into some opponent lightcycle. But it’s not like it’s following either movie very closely, as the canopy isn’t remotely similar to the look of either movie.

Last edited:

celluloid

$400 million in box office means Disney probably made around $200 million in revenue, so unless they spent $30 million or less in marketing (they didn’t), it was a loss.

Like many other properties we are stuck with post Disney Decade, it is about a mix of Iger's love for Synergy, his hubris and merch.

Tron Legacy stomped the crap out of Princess and The Frog Box office and merch and aesthetic stuck around.

No Name

Like many other properties we are stuck with post Disney Decade, it is about a mix of Iger's love for Synergy, his hubris and merch.

Tron Legacy stomped the crap out of Princess and The Frog Box office and merch and aesthetic stuck around.
Relative to their respective budgets, they were both similarly unprofitable.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

It's almost identical in length to Rock N Rollercoaster but yet few complain about that being too short... weird...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom