News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

LSLS

I find it humorous how so many on social media are thanking Iger for all of these changes. If they only knew lol

"Thank you Iger for changing the policies you put in place. You are AMAZING!!!!"

Iger is absolutely trying to reinvent his image in 2 years. I'll say this, it's brilliant. He killed park fans for so long while making an insane amount of money, bails when it's about to get hard, then comes in and just reverses some of the stuff he did to make insane money. He keeps his money, and now is being lauded as the savior of the parks. For undoing his OWN policies.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
"Thank you Iger for changing the policies you put in place. You are AMAZING!!!!"

Iger is absolutely trying to reinvent his image in 2 years. I'll say this, it's brilliant. He killed park fans for so long while making an insane amount of money, bails when it's about to get hard, then comes in and just reverses some of the stuff he did to make insane money. He keeps his money, and now is being lauded as the savior of the parks. For undoing his OWN policies.
Exactly right. Chapek was basically setup for failure when Iger bailed then he weasels his way back in, points the finger at Chapek for everything wrong, and comes across looking like the almighty savior saving the day. Brilliant strategy

Rickcat96

Interesting article I came across.
Good read, to me it's spot on.

I have APs ( live in Georgia) and went 6 times last year (2022), the trips were good-nothing like it used to be, we normally stay in the Epcot resort area, our favorite area, been going to WDW since River Country days.

Our first trip this year, we decided to go to the Florida Keys, 12 days. We booked many excursions, mapped out the entire drive and are excited for the new venture.

in July (2023) we plan on doing the same by heading to Lobster fest up north and visit where we are from in New York.

Both trips, thus far are WAY cheaper (so far) then a 6 day trip we normally take at WDW.

Not until the WDW changes drastically, will I go in the short future. It's more about the quality than the money.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Interesting article I came across.
One of the worst takes I've seen.

• Doesn't take into account Disney's problems with film and streamer productions that Chapek caused. Blaming everything on the status of the parks.

• Doesn't reflect accurately the report on people "going into debt" article (the article pointed out most people paid back the credit card debt of their Disney vacation within a year).

• A real park snob in bemoaning no new rides on the horizon as part of being "in trouble." The perpetual cry of someone who goes to the park too often and then becomes jaded over that oversaturation and demands something new all the time.

The article is an editorial... just his opinion. No more weighty than anyone's hot takes here on these forums.

James Alucobond

Exactly right. Chapek was basically setup for failure when Iger bailed then he weasels his way back in, points the finger at Chapek for everything wrong, and comes across looking like the almighty savior saving the day. Brilliant strategy
While it's not wrong to point out that many of these policies started under Iger, nothing prevented Chapek from doing exactly what Iger's doing now and backtracking things when the response was overwhelmingly negative. Part of the problem during his tenure was that basically every announcement felt bad from a guest experience perspective. Saying he was set up disregards the fact that it was entirely within his power to do a much better job of balancing negative and positive impacts to the experience. Instead, he just barreled forward.

Rickcat96

• Doesn't take into account Disney's problems with film and streamer productions that Chapek caused. Blaming everything on the status of the parks.

• Doesn't reflect accurately the report on people "going into debt" article (the article pointed out most people paid back the credit card debt of their Disney vacation within a year).

• A real park snob in bemoaning no new rides on the horizon as part of being "in trouble." The perpetual cry of someone who goes to the park too often and then becomes jaded over that oversaturation and demands something new all the time.

The article is an editorial... just his opinion. No more weighty than anyone's hot takes here on these forums.
Could care less about anything other than the current state of the parks- Just because you don't feel that way, doesn't mean other opinions are moot.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Sure, but the article is about the parks. Not the other divisions.
But it blames the parks solely for the fall of Chapek, which isn't true.

Yes, there are troubles with the parks, but one doesn't have to inflate those troubles into things that they're not in order to express displeasure at them.

One can legitimately complain about price increases without passing along false intimations that large swaths of people are going into long-term debt or bankruptcy over it (they're not).

When people are angry about stuff -- an anger that is justified -- they still have a tendency to way overstate their case when there is no need to. That hyperbole actually undercuts their stance since now the discussion is about those outrageous claims.

Rickcat96

But it blames the parks solely for the fall of Chapek, which isn't true.

Yes, there are troubles with the parks, but one doesn't have to inflate those troubles into things that they're not in order to express displeasure at them.

One can legitimately complain about price increases without passing along false intimations that large swaths of people are going into long-term debt or bankruptcy over it (they're not).

When people are angry about stuff -- an anger that is justified -- they still have a tendency to way overstate their case when there is no need to. That hyperbole actually undercuts their stance since now the discussion is about those outrageous claims.
Ok, cool, I don't see or read it that way. Many folks can have personal opinions of how to spend their hard-earned money.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
While it's not wrong to point out that many of these policies started under Iger, nothing prevented Chapek from doing exactly what Iger's doing now and backtracking things when the response was overwhelmingly negative. Part of the problem during his tenure was that basically every announcement felt bad from a guest experience perspective. Saying he was set up disregards the fact that it was entirely within his power to do a much better job of balancing negative and positive impacts to the experience. Instead, he just barreled forward.
not taking up for Chapek because...well you know... but he also wasn't qualified for the job, yet Iger selected him

LSLS

Yeah, funny thing is, I agree with a lot of what he says, but I'm not sure it's any sign they are in trouble.

I think his point about no new attractions on the horizon COULD have some merit. BUT, I don't know the details. He lists these things, but what I don't know, is how long during those time frames was there nothing announced for these two parks. Is it normal for there to be a lull (especially under Iger)? Furthermore, I don't think it's fair to concentrate only on the American parks. Is there investment going on internationally? Also, he suspiciously leaves out the Splash Moutain redo. AND, I don't think you can discount that with COVID, they really couldn't announce new things. It was WAY too much of an unknown. I was shocked how little they did announce this year, but I think this is the year that really tells us stuff about expansions. He points out the Universal Parks, but I think it needs to be mentioned these were announced/started before COVID. Has Universal announced anything since?

Un-theming something that I have been long screaming about hating on here. But is that really a sign they are in trouble? It's not that they aren't spending money to upgrade, it's they are doing it in ways a lot of people hate. I suppose there are things that look not-done that they are just opening up, but in general, it's more that we think they look terrible than it's all about saving cause they are in trouble. I'd imagine they could find very similarly priced headboards in any style they want.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
not taking up for Chapek because...well you know... but he also wasn't qualified for the job, yet Iger selected him
Problem is determining who's to blame for what.

Chapek was in charge of parks under Iger. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

When Chapek was CEO, Iger was Chair of the Board, and D'Amaro was in charge of parks. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

The Iger left. Chapek was still CEO and D'Amaro president of the parks. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

Now Iger's back and D'Amaro is president of the parks. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time? In fact, in the most recent changes, D'Amaro says that they weren't instigated by the regime change. In fact, we heard rumors of Genie+ and Park Reservation changes before Chapek was fired. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Problem is determining who's to blame for what.

Chapek was in charge of parks under Iger. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

When Chapek was CEO, Iger was Chair of the Board, and D'Amaro was in charge of parks. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

The Iger left. Chapek was still CEO and D'Amaro president of the parks. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?

Now Iger's back and D'Amaro is president of the parks. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time? In fact, in the most recent changes, D'Amaro says that they weren't instigated by the regime change. In fact, we heard rumors of Genie+ and Park Reservation changes before Chapek was fired. So, who's responsible for policy decisions during that time?
who knows... all I'm saying is Iger is not fixing everything Chapek did, because most of the issues began with Iger before he left

Andrew25

do we think many of the announcements yesterday were due to disney listening to guests, or disney listening to their data collectors and seeing vacation forecasts

2021/2022 saw increased attendance (obviously) from the decline in 2020. 2023 is expected to be a down year, so time for your "undesirable attendance mix" to be a bit more desirable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom