News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

erasure fan1

When she does eventually leave expect her to be honoured with an award and celebration, etc rather than a fired announcement that everyone wishes would actually happen.
As I would fully expect. I've said from the start, she isn't going to be publicly fired. It will be a we thank her for everything she's done and we wish her nothing but the best in her new endeavors.... Speach.

Casper Gutman

Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy not if but when.
Currently Star Wars has two critically acclaimed streaming shows, one with a huge cultural footprint, the other in serious conversations by critics as the best show of the year. The disappointment of the sequel trilogy, which produced one fun film, one good film, and one all-time stinker, is almost entirely the fault of Iger, who forced the series to meet absurd deadlines to glorify his acquisition.

Yet for some reason fans keep showering hate on Kennedy… there’s something about her that really seems to bother a lot of folks… can’t guide put my finger on it…

Edit: It would be very, very funny if they fired her right after the release of what is widely held to be the best piece of Star Wars media since 1983, if not 1980.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think she needs to go as well. There was a time around the release of last jedi where I thought they should move her to a position that wasn't attached to the creative side of things. She's a legendary producer for sure. But I doubt she had any real power on the creative side of things with all those Spielberg productions. Unfortunately Iger let her allow herself and lucas film to wage a war against the fans. Creating an extremely toxic relationship with the fans. So at this point, she just needs to move on. No matter the position in Disney that she could move to, there will always be big pushback with the fans.
And if she goes…it will be because they will admit dismissing the OT fans has lost them a lot of money. I personally have no doubt that it has…
I don't know, I think the fans have made it hard for them to get rid of her.
Because morons say nasty stuff on Twitter? That’s so standard it “insulates” no one.

_caleb

That was a DVC property like Aulani and the issues with that property killed the future of non-park related properties. Jay Rasulo did try to get Disney into Regional Entertainment Centers; a hotel, a World of Disney, maybe some attractions and entertainment. It was more a real estate development scheme (that being Rasulo’s thing) and died when he left Parks & Resorts.
Storyliving by Disney was a Chapek partnership for resort-style living for “Active Adults.”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Currently Star Wars has two critically acclaimed streaming shows, one with a huge cultural footprint, the other in serious conversations by critics as the best show of the year. The disappointment of the sequel trilogy, which produced one fun film, one good film, and one all-time stinker, is almost entirely the fault of Iger, who forced the series to meet absurd deadlines to glorify his acquisition.

Yet for some reason fans keep showering hate on Kennedy… there’s something about her that really seems to bother a lot of folks… can’t guide put my finger on it…

Edit: It would be very, very funny if they fired her right after the release of what is widely held to be the best piece of Star Wars media since 1983, if not 1980.
Speaking for long time Star Wars fans…I think you “missed it”. That’s not what happened. We have the whole picture now and Star Wars is “unforgiving” when you screw up.

7 was a reboot…and people made it an “event”…and even old critics like me were willing to give it a chance to setup.

But it was a disaster…they had no idea and LFL’s story group and directors we’re a dumpster filled with tires on fire…

The judgement is made and that is it. The problem for Disney, LFL, kennedy is they misfired with the original characters too. They had one shot and they missed.

It is written…and it was done.

Truth isn’t a “conspiracy”…it’s what happened.

Last edited:

kingdead

I don't know, I think the fans have made it hard for them to get rid of her.
Yeah, it comes across like capitulation to culture warriors when the reality is you can wait a year and have a nice retirement party for this lady. That and Iger shafted her in the first place...

(The real problem is that there still really isn't much story past the OT, and removing Kennedy isn't going to fix that and give Disney the big blockbuster it wants out of the brand.)

Casper Gutman

Speaking for long time Star Wars fans…I think you “missed it”. That’s not what happened. We have the whole picture now and Star Wars is “unforgiving” when you screw up.

7 was a reboot…and people made it an “event”…and even old critics like me were willing to give it a chance a setup.

But it was a disaster…they had no idea and LFL’s story group and directors we’re a dumpster filled with tires on fire…

The judgement is made and that is it. The problem for Disney, LFL, kennedy is they misfired with the original characters too. They had one shot and they missed.

It is written…and it was done.

Truth isn’t a “conspiracy”…it’s what happened.
I know you believe this interpretation very deeply, and its a valid subjective take. But it absolutely isn't the "truth" nor is it universally shared. I think 7 is good and 8 is very good, which is also a valid subjective take. Even more importantly, you are ignoring the exceptional streaming shows.

It's been said frequently, but it really is true - Star Wars fans really don't like Star Wars.

EPCOT-O.G.

I don't want to drag this thread too far into re-litigating the pros and cons of current Star Wars, and I'm personally pretty indifferent on the topic. Considering the debate around why Kennedy and the films under her watch have attracted such strongly negative feelings among some fans, though, I think Disney would really have to tread carefully if they were to get rid of her.
She can’t achieve liftoff on new films in the surest franchise in box office history, but we can’t let the “wrong” people claim a win.

Casper Gutman

Yeah, it comes across like capitulation to culture warriors when the reality is you can wait a year and have a nice retirement party for this lady. That and Iger shafted her in the first place...

(The real problem is that there still really isn't much story past the OT, and removing Kennedy isn't going to fix that and give Disney the big blockbuster it wants out of the brand.)
This is correct. To move past the OT, Star Wars creators are going to have to make choices and build something new, and Iger absolutely was not going to let that happen after his big purchase. He had a point - look at how fans reacted to Last Jedi when it treated Luke like an actual character who can make mistakes and experience personal growth. A lot of fans just want Empire made over and over and over, and you can't build a successful franchise that way (this was the not-particularly-subtle subtext of The Last Jedi, another thing that upset a lot of fans). In retrospect, the only way the sequels could have worked would have been to jump forward a hundred years or so and leave the protagonists of the OT locked in time in the last shot of Return, but not bringing back the original cast would have defeated the point of the sequels. The project was doomed from the jump. Now they've written the franchise into a narrative corner. Its why they keep going back instead of forward. At some point, they're going to have to make actual choices that will anger people if they're going to move forward in time.

Casper Gutman

She can’t achieve liftoff on new films in the surest franchise in box office history, but we can’t let the “wrong” people claim a win.
"Surest franchise in box office history?" Not by a long shot. By any measure, that's Marvel. Star Wars has had two universally loved films, four mixed films with controversial reputations, and five stinkers. It also carries more cultural baggage then any other franchise. A lot of franchises are "surer" - not just the MCU, but Mission: Impossible, Fast & Furious, Bond...

MerlinTheGoat

I would have assumed KK would be quite safe, until Martin posted his comment (however vague) on the matter. And even then, i'm still not sure they would try and mess with her. Wouldn't it be likely to cause the company a lot of PR problems if she was fired? No doubt the fandom menace side would be ecstatic, but Disney would also have to deal with the "Sexist Pig Iger Fires Great Female Executive" firestorm from the opposing media side too.

Br0ckford

The Last Jedi made some. Then people got angry, and Disney ran away from them as fast as possible and returned to a confused version of the status quo. Of the many, many announced upcoming Star Wars projects, is a single one set post-Rise-of-Skywalker? Not as far as I know, because that period is a huge mess.
I agree 100 % Episode 7 was eh... after that it fell apart. Ignoring thr PT and especially OT fans was a huge mistake.

erasure fan1

It really isn't that hard to see. Kennedy has been extremely antagonistic with the fans. She allowed her staff to insult, and disrespect the fans. That alone makes the fans go against her. Then pile on her lack of love or knowledge of star wars and that's the cherry on top.

Casper Gutman

It really isn't that hard to see. Kennedy has been extremely antagonistic with the fans. She allowed her staff to insult, and disrespect the fans. That alone makes the fans go against her. Then pile on her lack of love or knowledge of star wars and that's the cherry on top.
What is the evidence of “her lack of love or knowledge of Star Wars?”

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

She wasn’t being antagonistic. She was pontificating. She’s “better than us”

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What is the evidence of “her lack of love or knowledge of Star Wars?”

“[t]here’s no source material. We don’t have comic books… don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.”

Yeah. Well. Nothing ever happened between movies. I guess. All the treatments by Lucas were apparently lost too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It would definitely be a retirement…not a “firing”…

And if Disney were to decide they needed to move on…it would be TO CAPITULATE to the disgruntled fans. That’s the point. They wouldn’t admit it…but that would be the point.

Casper Gutman

“[t]here’s no source material. We don’t have comic books… don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.”

Yeah. Well. Nothing ever happened between movies. I guess.
If the issue is that they didn’t adapt the almost universally awful novels? That seems like an absurd criticism. Marvel fans don’t kvetch that the films are only borrowing elements from thousands of pages of comics rather then directly adapting storylines despite the fact that their is far more quality content scattered throughout seventy-some years of comics. In fact, Star Wars’ approach to the EU stuff is very similar to the MCU’s approach to the comics, cherry-picking interesting ideas like Thrawn that serve the broader story.

Is the real issue that we don’t have giant sentient otters running around the Star Wars films?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom