The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

1/2 a Hot take: Incredicoaster has really grown on me minus the Jack Jack Kebobs and to a lesser extent Mrs Incredibles voice. The queue and entrance are much better than they were with Screamin.

Not that I disagree with you, but really, if you're going to set the bar that low it's going to be easy to win...

screamin_queue2001tm.jpg

Rich T

I've been seeing a lot of Disney+ ads lately. I have to say, they're abysmal. I mean, they're really bad commercials. I just keep thinking about how much better the platform would have been marketed in the 2000's. There's no Mickey Mouse in these commercials, no families sitting together on the couch watching Snow White, no Tinkerbell sprinkling pixie dust on the TV. There's no emotion in an of these commercials, just flashes of Olivia Rodrigo, The Beatles, and a bunch of other content that has no relation to the traditional Disney image or brand.

Disney used to sell emotion, now they sell content. It's a big change and I have to imagine the company will suffer for it in the not-so-distant future.
Disney has, for quite a while now, been diluting the image that created their fan base in the first place. They are now a huge mega-media corporation, and anything that—in their eyes—isn’t profitable “enough” gets dropped through the trapdoor. They’re now pitching to the wealthy and upper middle class, and that means going after the iPhone/Starbucks/Tesla demographic with their ads.

As far as today’s Disney goes, there is no more “Traditional Disney Image” except families spending insane amounts of money at their resorts.

Disney is now The Simpsons
Disney is now Loki
Disney is now a bazillion other things that did not originate at Walt Disney Studios.

They lost their identity long ago, and made the word “Disney” meaningless, just as they use the words “magic,” “dreams,” and “wishes” like McDonalds slapping pickles on a Big Mac. (Except the Disney Big Mac would probably cost $20).

Rich T

No kidding! I distinctly remember riding Peter Pan's Flight around the 50th, and passing the Indian chief going Ugh! on the audio track, and I thought "Really?..."

And that was over 15 years ago, and I'm an evil white guy who just happens to have a casual interest in West Coast tribal cultures and their art, and even I thought it was a bit tacky over 15 years ago. But in 2022... it's still there. 🧐
Seriously, they could quietly remove that little diorama and no one would object. It adds nothing to the ride.

Last edited:

tcool123

Final full day in Cali!

Today was the obligatory Hollywood tourist things: Hollywood Sign, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood Boulevard.

The sign is a sign but the nature and views around are stunning, the trail I chose got us up close from the start. We didn’t hike it much at all as my mom is not that kind of person. Griffith Observatory was very nice loved the architecture and walking the grounds; unfortunately it was closed when we went, but that meant free parking which is a huge benefit.

Hollywood Boulevard was a fun time honestly! We started off with breakfast at Tiago Coffee Bar + Kitchen; I had a really good Huevos Rancheros and a solid fresh OJ.

D8A0CCDE-0740-41E6-B2D3-B52CF451EE15.jpeg

Afterwards we began walking the Walk of Fame and I enjoyed seeing all of the celebrities I knew. I really loved getting to see all of this beautiful Hollywood architecture, every building had its own soul and personality which I admired. Passed by the Chinese Theater, El Capitan, and went into Ghrilladelli and purchased a few of the studio pins they had on offer. Enjoyed all of the Disney stars on the Walk, and eventually we made it to our destination at the Funko Hollywood store; the store seriously needs more benches if they expect people to wait around to create and pick up their own pops as there was a total of three benches. Besides that I loved the store it was very fun with all the sets and giant figurines with plenty of merchandise ranging from figures to loubgeflys to pins and shirts. Or course I was there to create my own Funko, and he was adorable looking back I would do it all again for my very own unique POP.

For dinner it was time for another recommendation! @Californian Elitist today I listened to you, and we had Italian at Osteria Mamma! The bread to start off was great, but the butter was phenomenal. I had the Linguine al Pesto di Rucola, and it was my first time ever having pesto but it was solid! I tried a slice of my mom’s Mirko pizza, and wow that was really good. Thanks for the recommendation all!

0E46CF32-7544-44D9-AC35-A08FD2FE4A8C.jpeg

Lastly for dessert I went off to Wanderlust Creamery, saving those cookies for tomorrow hopefully 🙏🏻 I had a split scoop of Orange Flower Baklava on the left, and the Corn + Honey Butter Crunch. It was tasty, but I had higher hopes for the corn ice cream as I remember the one I had Epcot being tastier with bits of corn in it.

3DA12734-98D3-44AA-A4BE-E1A70C6B4E45.jpeg

Californian Elitist

Final full day in Cali!

Today was the obligatory Hollywood tourist things: Hollywood Sign, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood Boulevard.

The sign is a sign but the nature and views around are stunning, the trail I chose got us up close from the start. We didn’t hike it much at all as my mom is not that kind of person. Griffith Observatory was very nice loved the architecture and walking the grounds; unfortunately it was closed when we went, but that meant free parking which is a huge benefit.

Hollywood Boulevard was a fun time honestly! We started off with breakfast at Tiago Coffee Bar + Kitchen; I had a really good Huevos Rancheros and a solid fresh OJ.

View attachment 659672

Afterwards we began walking the Walk of Fame and I enjoyed seeing all of the celebrities I knew. I really loved getting to see all of this beautiful Hollywood architecture, every building had its own soul and personality which I admired. Passed by the Chinese Theater, El Capitan, and went into Ghrilladelli and purchased a few of the studio pins they had on offer. Enjoyed all of the Disney stars on the Walk, and eventually we made it to our destination at the Funko Hollywood store; the store seriously needs more benches if they expect people to wait around to create and pick up their own pops as there was a total of three benches. Besides that I loved the store it was very fun with all the sets and giant figurines with plenty of merchandise ranging from figures to loubgeflys to pins and shirts. Or course I was there to create my own Funko, and he was adorable looking back I would do it all again for my very own unique POP.

For dinner it was time for another recommendation! @Californian Elitist today I listened to you, and we had Italian at Osteria Mamma! The bread to start off was great, but the butter was phenomenal. I had the Linguine al Pesto di Rucola, and it was my first time ever having pesto but it was solid! I tried a slice of my mom’s Mirko pizza, and wow that was really good. Thanks for the recommendation all!

View attachment 659673

Lastly for dessert I went off to Wanderlust Creamery, saving those cookies for tomorrow hopefully 🙏🏻 I had a split scoop of Orange Flower Baklava on the left, and the Corn + Honey Butter Crunch. It was tasty, but I had higher hopes for the corn ice cream as I remember the one I had Epcot being tastier with bits of corn in it.

View attachment 659674
Wow, I love that you actually take heed to our recommendations! You’re the perfect person to plan a trip with lmao. The bread, YES! And that butter has the perfect amount of salt in it. So good. I usually get the Margherita or Diavolina pizza. I’ll have to try Mirko next time.

Good on you for taking what you could from the Walk of Fame. Despite all the bad things, there are definitely some gems. The Chinese Theatre and the El Capitan are beautiful theaters. And I do enjoy the Ghirardelli shop. I had no clue there’s a Funko shop down there. Just goes to show how much I head that way (not much at all lol).

I hope you can get the cookies, whether from Milk Jar or Diddy Riese, and I hope you and your family have enjoyed your trip in general. Have a safe flight tomorrow!

P.S. I admire you and your family for not coming to Southern California and only going to Disneyland. You took advantage of your time here, which is how it should be done, in my opinion.

tcool123

Wow, I love that you actually take heed to our recommendations! You’re the perfect person to plan a trip with lmao. The bread, YES! And that butter has the perfect amount of salt in it. So good. I usually get the Margherita or Diavolina pizza. I’ll have to try Mirko next time.
Well if I don’t listen to them then what’s the point of asking, not the kinda person who listens does the opposite and then whines about not having the greatest of times; I’ve been in this role before the info giver and then feign shock at the end.

I wished I had been able to try all the pizzas, based on the one I tried it was amazing!

Good on you for taking what you could from the Walk of Fame. Despite all the bad things, there are definitely some gems. The Chinese Theatre and the El Capitan are beautiful theaters. And I do enjoy the Ghirardelli shop. I had no clue there’s a Funko shop down there. Just goes to show how much I head that way (not much at all lol).
Even the theaters that were shuttered and abandon looking were something to admire from their exteriors. I didn’t know till I saw Safiya Nygard, Social Media Influencer, go and do the experience; I dont really care for POPs but the concept we so cool I had to get one done!

I hope you can get the cookies, whether from Milk Jar or Diddy Riese, and I hope you and your family have enjoyed your trip in general. Have a safe flight tomorrow!
I do think Milk Jar is the winner as its only a few minutes away by car for us; easily something we could pick up after checkout! Finger’s crossed 🤞🏻

Personally I’ve really enjoyed it, every day has been pretty good with honestly the only thing I wouldn’t recommend being the Warner Bros Studio Tour 😅

Thank you for the good wishes :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom