The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
So Monsters Inc Is going down for “refurb” indefinitely on 8/15. Probably nothing but what if it’s going away for good? Just a few weeks before D23 where they announce the black box attraction is coming or perhaps a new land as part of the eastern gateway expansion.

PiratesMansion

Park appears very busy at the moment, including an advertised 45 minute wait for the railroad?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220706-204126_Disneyland.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706-204126_Disneyland.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36

mickEblu

Original Poster
Park appears very busy at the moment, including an advertised 45 minute wait for the railroad?

Ewww. USH was pretty busy today too with a decent amount of foreign travelers that feel nonexistent at Disneyland these days.

My son and I go to USH every couple months or so for a few hours. My wife has no interest. It’s rough because I can’t go on my Top 3 rides at the park excluding the Tram Tour. He’s terrified of Jurassic World and he’s two inches two short for Forbidden Journey and The Mummy. It’s ok though because the park is 15 minutes from us.

PiratesMansion

After close to a year spent in blissful ignorance, I've started to finish the Behind the Attractions series and the creative decisions haven't aged any better from the first time around.
It's a tremendous missed opportunity on every level.

They talk down to the audience. They aren't particularly informative in terms of design/engineering/etc as some of the older Disney specials were (and this program's obvious inspiration, Netflix's The Movies that Made Us, is significantly better at being informative about the actual process of bringing those film icons to life vs. Disney's own program).

They fast forward through all of the behind the scenes information about the ride's conception/design/etc to toss off a we also did with other iterations. We can't just talk about Space Mountain, we have to talk about Ghost Galaxy! Hyperspace! Tron! And they've done it repeatedly. We can't just talk about Star Tours, we have to talk about Galaxy's Edge! We can't just talk about TOT, we have to smugly bring up Mission Breakout! Just...they could have easily made an entire other episode about Tron. Or Galaxy's Edge. Or relegate all of the overlays of everything ever into a single episode so that they can better explain how the idea started and track the continuity of the concept. All things that could have been done to prolong the series and continue to promote the parks.

It's just so baffling. Wouldn't your parks be better promoted if you allowed more potential options for episodes, and went further in depth about the creative process? But I guess that's what happens when you just view your parks as free money from stupid tourists. It's a miracle that The Imagineering Story turned out as well as it did.

PiratesMansion

I finished off the remaining Behind the Attraction episodes this morning. I needed something brainless, and I need to try and finish everything on D+ when my subscription expires in the fall, because I don't have any good reason to renew at this point.

The ones I watched today seemed less-bad than most of the ones I've seen before. I actually thought the Disneyland Hotel episode was fairly well done. Granted, this is undoubtedly the subject covered in the series that I know the least about. But bringing in actual former Wrather executives was an unexpected touch. They conveniently omit the part where they bulldozed quite a lot of (and all of the original) Disneyland Hotel in preparation for the resort expansion, and I'm sure the takeover of the Disneyland Hotel was less pleasant than portrayed, but other than that, nothing super objectionable from my perspective.

IASW: Solid World's Fair overview. Reminder for the coastal elite types, especially those who will be interviewed on camera...the state with Chicago in it is called Ill-i-NOY, NOT Ill-i-NOISE. You look...not smart when you get that wrong.

Later on, there was a goof with the map of Small World attractions-the map purports to show the five locations of IASW. Except that the star located in China is where Shanghai is, NOT Hong Kong. I guess they're all the same to whoever put that together, huh?

THAT SAID, somehow, somehow, they got through the episode without talking about how WE ADDED DISNEY CHARACTERS AND IT WAS AWESOME AND MADE THE RIDE 100% MORE INTERESTING AND DISNEY, AKSHULLY. A minor miracle.

The transportation episode that had a lot of Bob Gurr and (less enjoyably) a lot of Scot Drake seemed fine.

Was kind of half-watching the Hall of Presidents episode, to be honest. Not one of my favorites.

Overall the series is a mixed bag, as my previous posts attest to, but if all of the episodes were like the ones I watched today, I'd have much better opinions about the overall show than I do now. A season 2 is apparently confirmed-hopefully they will have taken the right lessons from the first batch.

VJ

I finished off the remaining Behind the Attraction episodes this morning. I needed something brainless, and I need to try and finish everything on D+ when my subscription expires in the fall, because I don't have any good reason to renew at this point.

The ones I watched today seemed less-bad than most of the ones I've seen before. I actually thought the Disneyland Hotel episode was fairly well done. Granted, this is undoubtedly the subject covered in the series that I know the least about. But bringing in actual former Wrather executives was an unexpected touch. They conveniently omit the part where they bulldozed quite a lot of (and all of the original) Disneyland Hotel in preparation for the resort expansion, and I'm sure the takeover of the Disneyland Hotel was less pleasant than portrayed, but other than that, nothing super objectionable from my perspective.

IASW: Solid World's Fair overview. Reminder for the coastal elite types, especially those who will be interviewed on camera...the state with Chicago in it is called Ill-i-NOY, NOT Ill-i-NOISE. You look...not smart when you get that wrong.

Later on, there was a goof with the map of Small World attractions-the map purports to show the five locations of IASW. Except that the star located in China is where Shanghai is, NOT Hong Kong. I guess they're all the same to whoever put that together, huh?

THAT SAID, somehow, somehow, they got through the episode without talking about how WE ADDED DISNEY CHARACTERS AND IT WAS AWESOME AND MADE THE RIDE 100% MORE INTERESTING AND DISNEY, AKSHULLY. A minor miracle.

The transportation episode that had a lot of Bob Gurr and (less enjoyably) a lot of Scot Drake seemed fine.

Was kind of half-watching the Hall of Presidents episode, to be honest. Not one of my favorites.

Overall the series is a mixed bag, as my previous posts attest to, but if all of the episodes were like the ones I watched today, I'd have much better opinions about the overall show than I do now. A season 2 is apparently confirmed-hopefully they will have taken the right lessons from the first batch.
behind the attraction only exists so that disney can go "yeah, this old stuff is alright i guess, but look at this new thing we just opened! characters! synergy! more timeless! more relevant! more disney! woo!"

PiratesMansion

behind the attraction only exists so that disney can go "yeah, this old stuff is alright i guess, but look at this new thing we just opened! characters! synergy! more timeless! more relevant! more disney! woo!"
And for the most part I agree, as this was clearly evident in many of the episodes, particularly the TOT & Star Tours episodes.

THAT SAID, no one made them do episodes on various transportation rides, Hall of Presidents, or the Disneyland Hotel. They missed VERY easy opportunities to shill the Disney characters and the holiday overlay in the IASW episodes and even did a decent job of setting the thing in its proper context. The amount of vintage interview clips seemed to increase as I went throughout the ten episodes (and there was a gap between the release of the first and the last five; overall, the last five episodes were better than the first five).

Maybe they're...learning something.

Or not, and I'll be back for season 2 with the same hatewatching tendencies. Either way they win, I guess.

Figments Friend

Heard about the hacker getting into the DLR social media account this morning on my local Boston area news radio station.
Yes, they often mention Disneyland news on WBZ Radio!

When I heard the news, it made me do a 'wut?' and then a laugh when the reporter noted said hacker posted a couple 'non-family friendly' and 'naughty' posts.
Uh huh....!
That will wake you up in the mornin' , kids!

10 minutes later while making my breakfast, I chuckled thinking this hacker should have made a REAL impact instead of posting smut and just post a flaming ' Chapek Meme' instead.
Now THAT would have been hilarious .....

-

mickEblu

Original Poster
David Do, the hacker, is simply mad that he really wants a black woman, but can’t get a black woman to save his life.😂

I remember being repeatedly pursued by this man years ago. At first, I was a “gorgeous black woman,” but when I told him I wasn’t interested, I was a “no-good N word.” LOL.

Wait, this same guy tried to get at you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom