The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 was on sale for $10 download for the switch.

I've wasted several hours of my life and my kid wants her switch back...... šŸ¤£
The Switch version plays beautifully with no glitches or frame rate issues. I never had a pc that could run it so well.

DrAlice

The Switch version plays beautifully with no glitches or frame rate issues. I never had a pc that could run it so well.
It works well. I just don't really know what I'm doing with it yet. I've been trying to get a feel for how to do stuff in sandbox mode. I attempted to make a mountain with waterfalls, but failed miserably. And I have a volcano with fire coming out of the top and extra fire randomly in front of it (oops) that I can't figure out how to remove. šŸ¤£ Oh well, I'll figure it out.

After a few hours of just randomly slapping rides, etc. down, it has become painfully obvious how genius the hub and spoke park layout is! Once I've figured out the other stuff, I'll start again with a better layout.

EDIT: After playing with this for awhile, I'm even MORE impressed with the screenshots of your park. :D

waltography

Came back from my first solo trip to the parks in a long while. A few thoughts:
  • Broken effects watch!
    • For Rise, the cannons still do not work and Kylo no longer walks toward you as you enter the "elevator."
    • Small World is rough; ironically, it's dark enough that the black backdrops now recede into nothing (a better effect than HM's boundless realm loading dock), but it means there's some seriously ominous harsh shadows throughout the ride.
    • Snow White is doing great now, thankfully; the ending is gorgeous as ever.
  • I rode Star Tours for the first time in a while and I got an ending I'd never seen before. Looked like Obi Wan, maybe? Couldn't be sure, but it was fun if not anticlimactic.
  • You know you're starting to feel old when Matterhorn starts feeling super rough. šŸ˜‚

Consumer

Your trip report is back up.
Seems the biggest problem with it was my criticism of Disney using "friend" to refer to their guests, which I'll stand by in saying that it's demeaning and patronizing, regardless of any gender politics. Whatever. At least the mods let me criticize Disney's lack of dress code. That's probably the biggest complaint I have about Disneyland, but really that's a complaint I have about the modern day rich in general; they have all this money and they dress like homeless people. I guess that's the consequence of making losers like Zuckerberg and Bezos rich.

Californian Elitist

Seems the biggest problem with it was my criticism of Disney using "friend" to refer to their guests, which I'll stand by in saying that it's demeaning and patronizing, regardless of any gender politics. Whatever. At least the mods let me criticize Disney's lack of dress code. That's probably the biggest complaint I have about Disneyland, but really that's a complaint I have about the modern day rich in general; they have all this money and they dress like homeless people. I guess that's the consequence of making losers like Zuckerberg and Bezos rich.
Okay.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don't if anyone has used the updated DAS system through the app at DLR recently, but its pretty awesome and easy to use.

My friend I went with needed to use it and we were surprised how easy it was to use and how most of the return times were 30 mins or less for all attractions. And we found we didn't need to signup each day, it was automatically added to all days of our reservations, which was awesome in itself.

So for all the negative stuff talked about regarding the DLR app, genie+, etc., this I can say they did right and makes it easy for any family that needs to use it.

waltography

Don't if anyone has used the updated DAS system through the app at DLR recently, but its pretty awesome and easy to use.

My friend I went with needed to use it and we were surprised how easy it was to use and how most of the return times were 30 mins or less for all attractions. And we found we didn't need to signup each day, it was automatically added to all days of our reservations, which was awesome in itself.

So for all the negative stuff talked about regarding the DLR app, genie+, etc., this I can say they did right and makes it easy for any family that needs to use it.
I noticed this too from a friend who uses DAS. They have a stricter screening process now + have streamlined the process to acquire return times.

If only those improvements could be carried out to other parts of the park experience like Genie+ (which is still a failure of basic UX design).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I noticed this too from a friend who uses DAS. They have a stricter screening process now + have streamlined the process to acquire return times.

If only those improvements could be carried out to other parts of the park experience like Genie+ (which is still a failure of basic UX design).
My only complaint with DAS is they list all attractions together in alphabetically order for both parks in one list, which can be annoying having to scroll through all the attractions if you aren't park hopping. So my only request would be to split the list up based on park, rather than one huge list.

PiratesMansion

So I'm headed to the park for the first time in four years in a few weeks! And like any true Disney Theme Park Fan(TM), I've spent the last several weeks obsessing over...dining.

I have five day hoppers, and I'm traveling with a co-worker who's never been to DLR. I have reserved a TON of table service, far more than I normally would have at DLR, due in part to apprehension over using mobile order all the dang time, but also the result of a lot of my favorite counter service offerings not currently being offered. I feel like I have too many table service meals, but I'm also struggling to think of good counter service to replace them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this too many? Are there good counter service options I'm overlooking? Which of the following reservations should I cancel?

I have a ton of Disney gift cards saved, so cost isn't a concern for the restaurants Disney operates.

Currently I'm reserved at the following, in no particular order:
-Carnation Cafe lunch (new to me)
-Napa Rose dinner
-Blue Bayou dinner (new to me)
-Carthay Circle dinner
-Cafe Orleans (not giving this up)
-Plaza Inn MSEP package (really, on the fence between keeping this and getting the reserved parade viewing or just ditching it and getting the normal chicken dinner)
-GCH Craftsman (new to me)
-Ralph Brennan's (partially motivated by the upcoming change of decor; new to me)
-Storyteller's breakfast/brunch (new to me; my coworker wants a character meal so I can't cancel this)

There's also an afternoon Trader Sam's reservation in there somewhere to hopefully make it easier to get a seat inside at the bar.

I'm most inclined to cancel BB; the menu just isn't appealing to me all that much and there's been a lot of complaining about the place on here lately. But there's another part of me that thinks I should eat there because I managed, completely accidentally, to actually get a reservation for the place. OR should I cancel others? Is this too many table service meals over five park days? Let me know what you all think.

waltography

So I'm headed to the park for the first time in four years in a few weeks! And like any true Disney Theme Park Fan(TM), I've spent the last several weeks obsessing over...dining.

I have five day hoppers, and I'm traveling with a co-worker who's never been to DLR. I have reserved a TON of table service, far more than I normally would have at DLR, due in part to apprehension over using mobile order all the dang time, but also the result of a lot of my favorite counter service offerings not currently being offered. I feel like I have too many table service meals, but I'm also struggling to think of good counter service to replace them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this too many? Are there good counter service options I'm overlooking? Which of the following reservations should I cancel?

I have a ton of Disney gift cards saved, so cost isn't a concern for the restaurants Disney operates.

Currently I'm reserved at the following, in no particular order:
-Carnation Cafe lunch (new to me)
-Napa Rose dinner
-Blue Bayou dinner (new to me)
-Carthay Circle dinner
-Cafe Orleans (not giving this up)
-Plaza Inn MSEP package (really, on the fence between keeping this and getting the reserved parade viewing or just ditching it and getting the normal chicken dinner)
-GCH Craftsman (new to me)
-Ralph Brennan's (partially motivated by the upcoming change of decor; new to me)
-Storyteller's breakfast/brunch (new to me; my coworker wants a character meal so I can't cancel this)

There's also an afternoon Trader Sam's reservation in there somewhere to hopefully make it easier to get a seat inside at the bar.

I'm most inclined to cancel BB; the menu just isn't appealing to me all that much and there's been a lot of complaining about the place on here lately. But there's another part of me that thinks I should eat there because I managed, completely accidentally, to actually get a reservation for the place. OR should I cancel others? Is this too many table service meals over five park days? Let me know what you all think.
This is overkill, but in a good way! šŸ˜‚ Makes it that much easier to plan if you've already got more than what you need. If I were in your shoes...
  • Carnation Cafe: I'd keep it. Carnation has good old-fashioned comfort food, and I really enjoyed eating here given the intimate indoor space.
  • Napa Rose: I'd keep it, but personally wouldn't pair this with a sit-down lunch.
  • Blue Bayou: I'd probably cancel. You can get the same food at any other place in NOS, and you'd only be paying for the atmosphere (which I've also heard is markedly different and much brighter than it used to be since the refurbishment).
  • Carthay: I'd keep it. This is my favorite restaurant in the parks, and the service here is pretty much the best you'll find at any TSR in either park. Don't do the al fresco dining, though if the option ever comes up; personally it's not worth it.
  • Cafe Orleans: This is my go-to sit-down for most trips when I'm wanting a sit-down meal and not feeling super fancy, so I'm glad it's non-negotiable.
  • Plaza Inn: I'd probably keep. It's worth the extra cost for the reserved seating alone, to be honest.
  • Craftsman: Never been so can't say; the menu never excited me though so I'd be inclined to cancel unless someone else suggested otherwise below.
  • Ralph Brennan's: I've only ever been to the Express so can't say, but I will say I thought the gumbo was really good and the beignets are better here than in the parks. You might want to consider eating here through the Express rather than as a sit-down if you want to cut out another sit-down.
  • Storyteller's: Probably the best of the character breakfast buffets, so good choice on this one, too.
For five days at the parks, I think 6 TSRs are pretty fair (assuming you cancel Blue Bayou, Craftsman, and Ralph Brennan's) since it keeps you flexible enough to try QSRs like Harbour Galley (I really enjoyed the lobster mac and cheese here) and other more snack-y meals like Ronto Roasters.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Haha, back in December I similarly stumbled upon a Blue Bayou reservation (for my first post-covid-closure visit), and ended up eating there for lunch via similar logic. I'd never been, and felt lucky to snag a reservation.

I went in with low expectations and still left disappointed in the food and service. Wasn't sure when I'd get back to Disneyland, so it felt like a wasted meal. Even the novelty of drinking a beer inside Disneyland couldn't make up for the embarrassing jambalaya.

I think Cafe Orleans does a better job of scratching the New Orleans Square meal itch. Honestly, IMO even French Market Restaurant is better.

PiratesMansion

Ok, here's another question...there's GCH Craftsman Bar AND GCH Craftsman Grill.

They have almost the same menu at both. Bar takes reservations, Grill doesn't.

So is it literally a restaurant where you could choose to do table service OR counter service at any given point? I'm confused.

I checked the menu of Ralph Brennan's vs. Express, and it looks like if you want anything other than the beignets or gumbo right now, you need to go to the restaurant. That's a bummer, but I suppose the beignets are the most important part, so...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom