News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

The pins with Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox were pulled, and their pins were replaced with Nightmare Before Xmas characters (I don't remember which ones, I am too tired to go and look). Those were the wishables mystery pin packs. The pin pack with Brer Bear just came out. There would have been enough time between the announcement and the release of the pins to remediate this.
It’s clear there have been some glitches in terms of removing all the Brer merchandise, but it’s also clear that removal is the direction in which they’re heading. If anything, I’m surprised at how quick and thorough the demise of Splash Mountain merchandise has been; I expected it to hang around until the bitter end.

ppete1975

The pins with Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox were pulled, and their pins were replaced with Nightmare Before Xmas characters (I don't remember which ones, I am too tired to go and look). Those were the wishables mystery pin packs. The pin pack with Brer Bear just came out. There would have been enough time between the announcement and the release of the pins to remediate this.
im assuming its more poor qc than anything, they have so many companies making stuff for them at this point and whomever is supposed to ok it before mass production clearly didnt notice.

celluloid

They literally just a month ago placed artwork with the Brers go up in Disneyland's Main street. Some of it for sale. Ha.
Everyone one or more characters is on something, it is ok to profit and sperate because it is an oversight? The people who want it to stop just keep having oversights? Yet we are told it is less merch slowly because it all planned out one second, then oversights the next. So you can accidently produce character merch when you are not liking the evidence that those characters are still sold?

At any rate, it is interesting when asked that some said yes they would feel it would be a problem to profit if the Genie Plus revenue was not a part of the rides it is grouped with. Then at the same time that and onride photos are being sold as well as pressed pennies, beer bear on 50th merch and painted last month on a giant mural. Now carved in Oak wood at Disneyland. All just good old oversights, yet this is so carefully weening.

No one is arguing the merch is not as lucrative as Tiana, that is the primary reason for the change after all. But let's not call an intentional set of moves to profit oversights.

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

I'm guessing with supply chain issues they prioritized merchandise like the 50th stuff. It's possible they can pump out more 50th merch by reducing other merchandise offerings. A lot of this stuff probably comes from handful of big producers.

I expect a slow uptick in Splash merchandise availability over the next few months now that the 50th has started.

TomboyJanet

Viewers back in 1946 recognised the issues with the film, which centre on its romanticised depiction of plantation life.

However In the film Remus is NOT a slave as I have said, he is a sharecropper. He is free to leave as you can see he almost does but changes his mind. The truth is that no matter where you went as a black man it was a difficult life at that time period. I think they handled it the best they possibly could

TomboyJanet

This has been gone over several times throughout these threads, but it boils down largely to greed. I know, I know, the "corporations, corporate America, blah blah blah" comments (always pointed out like we aren't keenly aware of this? ). BIPOC in both of the Splash threads (myself included) have expressed mostly sadness--that our culture and oral literature can be cheapened and ruined beyond repair by misuse, and then thrown away when they're done for it, for their next lucrative shiny. Using BIPOC pain for one's own clout points on the internet is, by far, the absolute strangest and creepiest Not Like Other Girls energy that has come out of the last year and a half, and it doesn't come from an authentic place (and it's painfully obvious).

I am not for or against anything, because what a mega-corporation does with its own parks isn't really any of my business, but I will say that neither SOTS nor PATF were made with anything but a certain lens that has nothing to do with the protagonists of their films. I think they're going to have to deal with that the closer we get to the retheme's opening, because the contemporary criticism of 2009 is going to come back with a 2021-2022 vision that's finally catching up, and I think it's going to show that bandaid solutions don't actually solve problems.
I just feel like compared to say the roustabouts and the crows in Dumbo, it depicts a more positive view for its time period. Yet Dumbo is not deleted from the Disney canon nor edited. The Remake was.....Well I can't comment on it because I haven't seen it but I heard it was just ok at best. I believe they could have done something with it to make it more uplifting towards BIPOC and maybe did some research on the history of oral traditions and have like a little educational area celebrating African American culture. I can't speak for people of color because the closest I come to any ethnic minority is having a small percentage of Lakota blood, but They could have remade it in a less problematic way, perhaps with a black man telling his kids the stories in a modern setting and toning down the speech elements, maybe set it in modern Georgia and tie in some elements about the struggle of minorities continuing to this day with some good lessons in the end. I think that would have been the best way to handle it.

celluloid

At Disneyland.

Attachments

• 250844794_10225430851456728_1134007043917271154_n.jpg
    250844794_10225430851456728_1134007043917271154_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 138
  • disneylandmerch.jpg
    disneylandmerch.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 137

Sharon&Susan

Don't have any pictures of it, but the Disneyland Resort's WonderGround Gallery also is currently selling a painting featuring Brer Rabbit. It's an amalgam of visuals from both the 1955 Fun Map and the intro to the Disneyland television show.

LittleBuford

However In the film Remus is NOT a slave as I have said, he is a sharecropper. He is free to leave as you can see he almost does but changes his mind. The truth is that no matter where you went as a black man it was a difficult life at that time period. I think they handled it the best they possibly could
If audiences in 1946 found aspects of the film cringeworthy and problematic, the bolded clearly isn’t true. You can look into the film’s production history if you’re interested in learning about Disney’s various missteps, which included ignoring the recommendations of a black adviser to make the black characters less servile as well as failing to clarify the film’s chronology, confusion over which was rife from the outset.

TomboyJanet

If audiences in 1946 found aspects of the film cringeworthy and problematic, the bolded clearly isn’t true. You can look into the film’s production history if you’re interested in learning about Disney’s various missteps, which included ignoring the recommendations of a black adviser to make the black characters less servile as well as failing to clarify the film’s chronology, confusion over which was rife from the outset.
I don't know how problematic they found it, it was successful enough to make a ride out of, as well as many childrens books including one my dad used to read me as a child. That sentimentalism may possibly influence my decision but It just kinda sucks because I really miss my dad and this is kinda like another thing we shared that's dying. My dad always just told me that it was a southern accent and since I've never been to the south outside of Disney World and the version of it in Cypress Gardens (now Legoland), I just assumed that's how it was.

There is still a lot I don't know about the behind the scenes of the original movie, but I feel like the characters could be used in a different way

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom