News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgy1

When this thread was started, things were still in the planning stage. We are well past that point, and are close to TBA opening. It is time for discussions of Song of the South and Splash Mountain to end.

It is gone, never coming back, and nothing anyone says will change things.
Cat Kitten GIF

Dranth

What will happen in this case is likely that most people will enjoy TBA, many of those that do like it will miss Splash or even still prefer it but be able to appreciate TBA as its own thing. Finally, a small group of folks will hate it no matter what so Disney can just ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not as big as you think it is, its only about half the size of the Mansion building. Plus, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are all the cooling towers for the surrounding areas. So they aren't likely moving.

If Disneyland is to expand it'll be with the DLForward project. You can review that thread here.
Ideal buildout put a PATF dark ride in this space back in his 2016 buildout of disneyland
IMG_0297.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Still so many people want a new version of Imagination and are still confused on why Disney hasn’t done it yet
Disney spent a lot for the first version, and a lot for the second version, and a lot to fix the second version.

So, as a corporation that needs to make money to continue to exist, it's cutting its losses and letting it be. It *almost* got a redress with the new EPCOT refresh project, but, it lost its budget for other projects in the Refresh.

This is why, as was said above, if for some reason the general public isn't happy with TBA... it's going to be kept as is for decades regardless. People will still ride it as a log flume.

You'd need something as horribly bad as Superstar Limo for an immediate retheme.

MerlinTheGoat

View attachment 770109
Something Small could work, maybe have the ride be underground like the Haunted Mansion Tunnel?
As others have said, that's a bit too small for anything aside from a tiny old school Fantasyland style dark ride. Which I'm not exactly against, but Disney has been pushing for larger type rides as of late.

Another solution could have been to merge all of Critter Country into New Orleans Square and use the space occupied by Pooh, Hungry Bear and the surrounding area for a PATF area. That's considerably larger and less cramped. Granted, you'd be losing Pooh, but it would be losing what is considered the worst version of the ride that also never really quite fit that space anyway. A better version of a Pooh ride could go somewhere else if necessary.

As others have said, that's a bit too small for anything aside from a tiny old school Fantasyland style dark ride. Which I'm not exactly against, but Disney has been pushing for larger type rides as of late.

Another solution could have been to merge all of Critter Country into New Orleans Square and use the space occupied by Pooh, Hungry Bear and the surrounding area for a PATF area. That's considerably larger and less cramped. Granted, you'd be losing Pooh, but it would be losing what is considered the worst version of the ride that also never really quite fit that space anyway. A better version of a Pooh ride could go somewhere else if necessary.
A small dark ride with 2D cutouts painted to looks like 3D sets could be a solution, with the vehicle could be a alligator 🐊 or a small indoor flat ride could work.

GladToBeHear

I think the re-theme is long overdue. The issue is whether the new iteration will be done well and with an interesting story that will resound with current and future generations. I’m holding off on any judgment until I ride it. Hopefully this fall!
Be careful, Chi84. It's not a re-theme. It's a brand new, constructed-from-the-ground-up attraction. And it will be magical.

Chi84

Premium Member
Be careful, Chi84. It's not a re-theme. It's a brand new, constructed-from-the-ground-up attraction. And it will be magical.
The title of the thread says re-theme so that’s the word I used. I have no idea what you’re getting at with the “brand new, constructed-from-the ground-up” stuff because it is what it is regardless of terminology.

yensidtlaw1969

You're being obnoxious.

The Mom was very clear. After years of people proving it's unreasonable to expect decency, nuance, and rule-following on this subject it's been officially ruined for everyone.

She's not saying pretend Tiana is a brand new ride. She's saying that since people can't play nice the time for actively discussing the old ride and its basis is over.

Please get a grip and move on.

SpectreJordan

It should be noted that the bolded is entirely anecdotal.

Again, Song of the South wasn't even available in the US by the time Splash Mountain began development, and was never made available again.

The story of what Disney elects to build attractions around runs far deeper than just box office performance.
It's crazy that people are trying to use PATF's popularity as a reason to diss the new ride when probably 99% of the people who rode Splash never saw what it was based on lmao

MerlinTheGoat

It's crazy that people are trying to use PATF's popularity as a reason to diss the new ride when probably 99% of the people who rode Splash never saw what it was based on lmao
It's Bob Iger who usually laser focuses on a movie's initial popularity when determining whether it has any sort of substantial future and deserves a ride. People are simply pointing out that the decision to promote PATF in spite of its lack of massive success has been very uncharacteristic for the company these days.

A movie's popularity is not something I personally care about at all when it comes to what receives a ride. I'm a big fan of Atlantis The Lost Empire for instance and think it has great ride potential (they considered basing the old Fire Mountain concept around the IP before the entire thing was scrapped). Hell, i'd be game for a Black Cauldron ride (yes really), moreso than some of the other far better movies that have gotten disappointing rides. The vast majority of Disney's best rides aren't even based on movies at all.

A lot of the people who are skeptical of this attraction are in fact big fans of PATF, myself included. I think it has great ride potential with the right people and proper planning. But given that it's a replacement for a legitimate cream of the crop classic, even a hypothetical dream team of the best imagineers who ever existed would have a nearly impossible task matching, let alone surpassing what it's replacing. And I do not consider anyone at WDI to be remotely dream team material.

I also have a considerably less pessimistic outlook on the attraction than most others. Based off of the claims i've heard (assuming it's true), I don't think this will be nearly as egregious as Imagination v2/3 for instance. But regardless, I don't think WDI has the necessary talent to create a ride that can match Splash anymore. If this was its own thing built from scratch, it would probably be better able to stand on its own as a really good ride. Perhaps even the best they've created in decades. But as a replacement, don't underestimate WDI's ability to screw it up. It would take a miracle to come anywhere close.

erasure fan1

A movie's popularity is not something I personally care about at all when it comes to what receives a ride.
Yup. A great ride can come from any ip.
A lot of the people who are skeptical of this attraction are in fact big fans of PATF, myself included. I think it has great ride potential with the right people and proper planning.
I'd be one of those as well. I've been a backer of a PatF attraction on these boards from the time it was originally released. Why? Because the film would really lend itself to a great ride if done correctly. My scepticism comes from them having to limit themselves to the infrastructure already in place. Instead of exploring every option and picking what fits best for the ip and placement in the parks. And let's face it, they haven't done great with this type of retrofitting anyway. I hope it turns out great as PatF is my favorite WDAS film since Lion King. I'm not confident that it will even match splash, but it's definitely something I'll be more than happy to eat crow on if I'm wrong.

aladdin2007

The project is screaming frozen ever after me to me, if what were hearing seeing so far is true....bad cheap patch job on the logs and not replacing detail (IF they are truly done, there has been mixed thought on that),,,, ascent screen tunnel like frozen...not impressed with the chopped food wall mural nor the yellow entry mural for all the reasons that have already been shared from many others..etc,,,sure it may have a couple of good scenes in it, but I bet the rest does not live up to its predecessor in design as a whole when it should have blown it out of the water or not been done at all. Another shoe horned in effort. And should have been based off only the movie, and not some plus cartoon. The soundtrack is what will really make or break it here I think.
That's just how Im feeling so far, will see, I want to be wrong I really do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom