Zootopia at Animal Kingdom?

OG Runner

I honestly do not understand all of the ringing of hands and rending of clothes over this. The park is not only for conservationists or naturalists. It is also for kids. Why do you think Russell & Dugg from Up are in the park? The whole point of attractions is to attract
people. They could put Zootopia in Disney Studios just as easily. The fact is the characters are Animals and would just as easily fit in
Animal Kingdom.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I honestly do not understand all of the ringing of hands and rending of clothes over this. The park is not only for conservationists or naturalists. It is also for kids. Why do you think Russell & Dugg from Up are in the park? The whole point of attractions is to attract
people. They could put Zootopia in Disney Studios just as easily. The fact is the characters are Animals and would just as easily fit in
Animal Kingdom.
Because people are sick to death of IP being shoved in everywhere possible ? There used to be a balance.

OG Runner

Because people are sick to death of IP being shoved in everywhere possible ? There used to be a balance.

Remember it all began with a Mouse! Amazingly the "people" that wait in line for Runaway Railroad, Frozen Ever After and even Flight of Passage would tend to disagree with you.

UNCgolf

Animal Kingdom.

But the characters aren't really animals. They're people in animal form, which is the problem. You really think dropping a modern city (which is the Zootopia setting) into Animal Kingdom fits with the theme of the rest of the park? It would be completely incongruous.

If they're desperate to build it, it needs to go into Hollywood Studios. You're advocating for Disney to build their parks like a Six Flags where you can just drop in anything anywhere because it doesn't matter.

If they really want to add more IP to Animal Kingdom, the Jungle Book is a much better fit for the park. Zootopia fits about as well as Wall-E would.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From our rumor tracker...

As far as I know, at this time, there is no Zootopia heading to DAK.

Since some of you were wondering what is on the table and what isn't, here's the latest update from a friend. Take it with a grain of salt, but this particular source has been mostly accurate in the past.

Status of Active Projects

Zootopia - NEVER WAS A THING, STOP THINKING IT BELONGS IN AK, IT DOESN'T

OG Runner

But the characters aren't really animals. They're people in animal form, which is the problem. You really think dropping a modern city (which is the Zootopia setting) into Animal Kingdom fits with the theme of the rest of the park? It would be completely incongruous.

If they're desperate to build it, it needs to go into Hollywood Studios. You're advocating for Disney to build their parks like a Six Flags where you can just drop in anything anywhere because it doesn't matter.

If they really want to add more IP to Animal Kingdom, the Jungle Book is a much better fit for the park. Zootopia fits about as well as Wall-E would.

Wow, talk about overthinking a subject. Yeah, I must be crazy, why would an IP, whose characters are all animals, fit in a park called Animal Kingdom? I am no way advocating Disney build anything like Six Flags. They paint a roller coaster red & blue and call it a Superman coaster. This is nothing like that, so, again, stop over-reacting.

UNCgolf

Wow, talk about overthinking a subject. Yeah, I must be crazy, why would an IP, whose characters are all animals, fit in a park called Animal Kingdom? I am no way advocating Disney build anything like Six Flags. They paint a roller coaster red & blue and call it a Superman coaster. This is nothing like that, so, again, stop over-reacting.

The characters aren't animals. They're humans in animal costumes. That's the whole point of Zootopia; it's not actually about animals. The Jungle Book characters actually are animals.

Even ignoring that, though, go look at what they're building in Shanghai. Do you really think that would fit into Animal Kingdom at all? It would be so wildly different from every single other area in the park.

Last edited:

OG Runner

The characters aren't animals. They're humans in animal costumes. That's the whole point of Zootopia; it's not actually about animals. The Jungle Book characters actually are animals.

Even ignoring that, though, go look at what they're building in Shanghai. Do you really think that would fit into Animal Kingdom at all? It would be so wildly different from every single other area in the park.

Okay, last try at this. I hate to break it to you, though the message is one that can be translated to society on a whole. They really were
animals in Zootopia. Why would a Zootopia area be so different than having Dinoland in the park? Yes, I do think it could fit.

UNCgolf

Okay, last try at this. I hate to break it to you, though the message is one that can be translated to society on a whole. They really were
animals in Zootopia. Why would a Zootopia area be so different than having Dinoland in the park? Yes, I do think it could fit.

They really weren't. Again, that was the whole point. It is not a movie about animals the way something like Bambi or Jungle Book (mostly) is.

We're never going to agree, but again, completely ignoring the above point, I'm still baffled that you think building something that looks like NYC in the middle of Animal Kingdom would fit the park.

It also doesn't matter because all credible information suggests Disney has never had any intention of building Zootopia in Animal Kingdom -- likely for the reasons I've just mentioned.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I've gotten over the whole IP thing in the past couple of years. The new Epcot announcements were basically the band-aid being ripped off for me and have grown to accept that it's literally just the direction Disney will be going with their parks from here on out.

What hurts about AK is it is primarily still serving the purpose that it did when it first opened. And luckily they were able to make it work with Pandora under ear gage dude's leadership. Sadly, with him gone, and guest numbers due to Pandora speaking to Disney... AK will go the same route at Epcot soon with IPs.

Now if they could put Zootopia where Planet Watch is, using the train as a connection, that'd be great.

OG Runner

They really weren't. Again, that was the whole point. It is not a movie about animals the way something like Bambi or Jungle Book (mostly) is.

We're never going to agree, but again, completely ignoring the above point, I'm still baffled that you think building something that looks like NYC in the middle of Animal Kingdom would fit the park.

It also doesn't matter because all credible information suggests Disney has never had any intention of building Zootopia in Animal Kingdom -- likely for the reasons I've just mentioned.

Who said anything about putting it "in the middle" of Animal Kingdom? How horrible would it be to replace Dinoland?

Disney Maddux

I've gotten over the whole IP thing in the past couple of years. The new Epcot announcements were basically the band-aid being ripped off for me and have grown to accept that it's literally just the direction Disney will be going with their parks from here on out.

What hurts about AK is it is primarily still serving the purpose that it did when it first opened. And luckily they were able to make it work with Pandora under ear gage dude's leadership. Sadly, with him gone, and guest numbers due to Pandora speaking to Disney... AK will go the same route at Epcot soon with IPs.

Now if they could put Zootopia where Planet Watch is, using the train as a connection, that'd be great.
Thank you. If you put it in Planet Watch, completely out of view from everything else and thus not messing up any sight lines, it works perfectly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Exactly my point. Thanks for helping make it. Using established IPs in the parks is not evil.
Ignoring the part where I mentioned balance?

You know, the people who also queued for Jungle cruise, Tiki room, Pirates, BTM, CBJ, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountian, WEDway, Alien Encounter, Spaceship Earth, energy, horizons, motion, imagination, land, seas, AmAd....

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

You know, the people who also queued for Jungle cruise, Tiki room, Pirates, BTM, CBJ, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountian, WEDway, Alien Encounter, Spaceship Earth, energy, horizons, motion, imagination, land, seas, AmAd....
Tiki Room reaches 50 minute waits?

UNCgolf

Thank you. If you put it in Planet Watch, completely out of view from everything else and thus not messing up any sight lines, it works perfectly.

It works better, in that it's hopefully not visible from the rest of the park, but it still makes no sense there. I don't know why people want to see it in Animal Kingdom when it clearly belongs in Hollywood Studios; it has no real connection to wildlife, nature, etc.

Beyond that, it wouldn't work up there because you can't get people there and back. The Wildlife Express can't carry enough people for a major attraction -- they'd have to make a bunch of other significant changes. And they'd probably prefer not to demolish and relocate all the veterinary facilities.

OG Runner

How long has it been since you were in the Magic Kingdom. Pirates, now includes several Johnny Depp animatronics. (from the movie)
Alien Encounter became Stich. (from the movie). They have done a movie for the Jungle Cruise, though it has not been released yet.
Add in Splash Mountain, The Swiss Family Robinson tree house, Aladdin's Flying Carpets, Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear's Ranger Spin,
Winnie the Pooh, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, even the Tea Cups are from Alice in Wonderland. Mention balance again. Nice try though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How long has it been since you were in the Magic Kingdom. Pirates, now includes several Johnny Depp animatronics. (from the movie)
Alien Encounter became Stich. (from the movie). They have done a movie for the Jungle Cruise, though it has not been released yet.
Add in Splash Mountain, The Swiss Family Robinson tree house, Aladdin's Flying Carpets, Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear's Ranger Spin,
Winnie the Pooh, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, even the Tea Cups are from Alice in Wonderland. Mention balance again. Nice try though.
You’re only showing yourself up. I don’t need to “try” anything.

Happy new year!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom