News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Rich Brownn

DHS certainly has expansion space, but agree that it is not readily accessible. But I don't think that they "failed to consider" future expansion, just that they didn't make an effort to prepare for it. They just kicked that can down the road.

We know that had specific pads available in Galaxy's Edge for expansion set aside (for the restaurant and for another attraction). And there's still a bunch of backstage area on the west side that can be used for expansion, they would just need to relocate those functions currently housed there (but that was true before the DHS revamp, so it didn't change or worsen at all).

When the time comes, they basically just need to tear down the Animation building including the offices (+whatever they want to do with Mermaid) and connect that area to the RNR courtyard to make the most logical next location for a big expansion.

Separately or additionally, they can remove the IJ theater and the use the Echo Lake area to build into the parking lot. which could be a very large footprint if desired.
Expansion wan't on their minds when it was built. The priority.. and only priority.... was to open before Universal

SpectreJordan

In between the train and Anandapur has space for a wide walkway. Follow the area tinted white.
Interesting. Could be a good place for further Asian expansions; China could be a really cool expansion idea.

Or maybe the dinosaurs will make a triumphant return to the park like a decade after Dinoland gets kicked out?

Ooooooor this expansion plot goes unused for another 25 years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I thought the Land behind Kali wasn't suitable to build anything on due to soil composition reasons. Is that the case?
Absent sink holes, anything can be made park-ready... for a price.

Anyhoo... that area is designated for entertainment/park use. It is not listed as potential flood or wetlands or for conservation.

It's free and clear for development.

Mike S

Absent sink holes, anything can be made park-ready... for a price.

Anyhoo... that area is designated for entertainment/park use. It is not listed as potential flood or wetlands or for conservation.

It's free and clear for development.

And yet they refuse to use it where if this was Disneyland they’d move hell and high water to NOT replace something.

Captain Neo

@ToTBellHop indicated that the Moana area may already be approved and might be done for a 2025 target opening. That seems to only be replacing the Dinorama area - retheming the spinner and building the water ride kinda where PW used to be. It’s not like Disney to work that “fast” but it’s entirely possible for that timeframe to work if they wanted.

lol. LMAO

Door Coaster

I thought the Land behind Kali wasn't suitable to build anything on due to soil composition reasons. Is that the case?
I put that in the Rumor Tracker and I believe the person who made that comment stated that the comment was talking about an area of DAK seperate from the Northern Project plot. NP area is still available, and I updated the tracker to reflect that.

Bocabear

I'm so relieved that Moana isn't going into Animal Kingdom after all. Not that having Encanto go in Animal Kingdom is much better...
Moana's deeper themes resonate within the fabric of DAK...Encanto's magical humans have absolutely no connection to conservation or nature at all... Moana was the better pick, and could have been an entire South Pacific flora and fauna region... Instead we get a family and a magical house, and a tomb raider...

doctornick

Moana's deeper themes resonate within the fabric of DAK...Encanto's magical humans have absolutely no connection to conservation or nature at all... Moana was the better pick, and could have been an entire South Pacific flora and fauna region... Instead we get a family and a magical house, and a tomb raider...

Agree. I actually think Moana in general is one of the better choices for an IP for DAK and they could easily tailor an attraction with that to fit even more seamlessly with DAK. Also, having a land dedicated to Oceania would fit well in the park and is relatively underrepresented in WDW (at least natural elements as opposed to human Polynesia).

Chef idea Mickey`=

I'm not a water ride or flume junkie but the backdrop and setting of the Moana portion was so refreshingly beautiful and cool it would been a beautiful refreshing escape for Disney's Animal Kingdom! As much as I'm happy they are into another region of the earth if it wasn't Oceanic could of been Australia with the Outback, Kangaroos but the Moana and the spinner attraction reform looked so cool. This land needed water and now South American Land there better be not too hot well at least they'll be more trees to the area.. Disney's Hollywood Studios is so hot a Moana Land even if it's weird would freshen that park up!

Bocabear

I agree that Moana concept art looked amazing and yes, refreshing... Instead we will get a dry, hot Central South American area that will not fit the park as well...And with Indy....

James Alucobond

I agree that Moana concept art looked amazing and yes, refreshing... Instead we will get a dry, hot Central South American area that will not fit the park as well...And with Indy....
I'm sorry, but what? You're getting a Caño Cristales-ringed house literally bursting with flowers, a lost temple in a lush jungle, and a town square with fountains, flowers, and Spanish tile.

Bocabear

I'm sorry, but what? You're getting a Caño Cristales-ringed house literally bursting with flowers, a lost temple in a lush jungle, and a town square with fountains, flowers, and Spanish tile.
Are we? Who knows what we will end up getting in the end...Or if they will build any of it...
I just said that the Moana concept art had more water in it and looked like a better fit.
and really Spanish tile? that's a feature? lol I see one fountain...
I liked the other proposal better... that's all.
Glad you like this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom