News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO I still think if they will switch to Adventure Kingdom when they can't figure anything else after Epic Universe rolls in a few years. And since Sea World parks are more focused on rides now then their animal exhibits it would be the only way to go with it.

Besides, the other parks have had an identity issues..
Epcot: EPCOT CENTER, EPCOT94, EPCOT95, EPCOT96, Epcot, & EPCOT
Disney Hollywood Studios: Disney*MGM Studios

And it's not like the entire resort is just a MEGA Disneyland with the parks being the land of each one..
MK - Fantasyland
Epcot - Tomorrowland
AK - Adventureland
DHS - Uhhhhhhhhhhh? Aren't IP's great!?

With the name change it then changes the landscape of what they can do with that park..

yensidtlaw1969

This made me think and I don’t know if I can’t think of any location that is on a Hogwarts level of the general public wanting to visit. The only opponents I can think of are the Millennium Falcon (now a lackluster attraction) and maybe Jurassic Park (right next to HP in IoA). I haven’t watched any Lord of the Rings but from what I know it could be a contender.

The lesson learned here is Islands might be the park with the best wish fulfillment for franchise movie fans with recreations of Hogsmede and JP right next to each other.
I think the real lesson should be that one need not turn to movie properties for locations to create successful wish fulfillment.

Cinderella Castle ties itself (loosely) to the 1950 movie, but its success as a worldwide dream destination isn't based around audiences desperate desire to visit that specific place after watching the movie. Technically, Cinderella Castle at Magic Kingdom isn't even supposed to be the castle from the movie. Same sort of thing with The Haunted Mansion, same with Big Thunder Mountain - these attractions pull from aspirational notions that are far bigger and more timeless than any one movie, book, or franchise provides.

While it isn't necessarily bad to pull from them on occassion - using a once-in-a-generation property like Harry Potter makes plenty of sense - letting that tail wag the dog is how you end up with theme parks full of lands whose meanings are isolated from each other, and with millions of dollars being thrown at properties whose popularity does not necessarily translate to a desire to visit the locales.

This is one of the reasons why Moana would make a better ride than a land. The aspirational moment for guests who enjoy that movie would be to sail on a voyage with Moana and encounter some of the characters/creatures, not to just visit her island, and not to just end up out on the open ocean. The only real distinct and unique location in that movie was the Realm of Monsters, but it was just a footnote and I don't see people clamoring to go there specifically. Zootopia at least offers a breadth of locations unified under one umbrella, which if properly developed could make for an interesting land to explore. They seem to be doing that in Shanghai. And yet, puzzlingly, that doesn't even seem to be the pitch at WDW - Zootopia seems to be sequestered to a standalone ride.

They really need to get their head around the idea that the property itself will usually tell you if it should be a land, a ride, or neither. Some things simply do not need to be blown up to the proportion of a land.

Last edited:

doctornick

This made me think and I don’t know if I can’t think of any location that is on a Hogwarts level of the general public wanting to visit. The only opponents I can think of are the Millennium Falcon (now a lackluster attraction) and maybe Jurassic Park (right next to HP in IoA). I haven’t watched any Lord of the Rings but from what I know it could be a contender.

I think Star Trek potentially works (bridge, Quark’s bar, etc) though it’s probably not as popular overall as some IPs. The Star Trek Experience (RIP) was actually really awesome and arguably ahead of its time with that.

Chef idea Mickey`=

IMO I still think if they will switch to Adventure Kingdom when they can't figure anything else after Epic Universe rolls in a few years.

And it's not like the entire resort is just a MEGA Disneyland with the parks being the land of each one..
MK - Fantasyland
Epcot - Tomorrowland
AK - Adventureland
DHS - Uhhhhhhhhhhh? Aren't IP's great!?

With the name change it then changes the landscape of what they can do with that park..

Wow, I never looked at hindsight at the parks this way! I always assumed that Disney's Hollywood Studios would become Disney's Hollywood Adventure Park! Disney's Hollywood Studios needs to just have Hollywood in the front and central and everywhere else encircling all around major lands. Just imagine Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Cars Land, World of Arrendale, and Zootopia. World of Arrendale would transform Magic Kingdom literally!

SpectreJordan

Hopefully they'll have some South/Central American animals throughout this retheme. But I really like this idea, it seems like they listened to the feedback about Moana & Zootopia.

Hopefully the Encanto ride will be about Antonio & his animals in the house. While maybe Indy can get a new story about an animal themed god/religion?

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Well this was fun.

meaningless death GIF by Team Coco

gerarar

Premium Member
The way they said it makes it sound like a new land location. How do you go from a land and say its going to a new location and then only announce a tiny show.
I thought so too originally.

When they pivoted to the AK-segment, they said they reworked a bunch of stuff, including Zootopia in a "new location". From there I understood new expansion plot.

Then they revealed it was just a new show in the tree of life lol. What a bait haha

Advisable Joseph

I thought so too originally.

When they pivoted to the AK-segment, they said they reworked a bunch of stuff, including Zootopia in a "new location". From there I understood new expansion plot.

Then they revealed it was just a new show in the tree of life lol. What a bait haha
I want to go back to the presentation, when it is available: did they say that was the new location or that this was a first taste, so to speak?

neo999955

In the Parks
No
I got the impression that Tree of Life was all we're getting Zootopia wise in AK.

I wonder if Moana is now not happening or shifting to MK? I don't think it makes sense to build another log flume in MK, but they could do something else there.

Squishy

Makes me wonder if Zootopia is getting swapped for MK but the new animatronic being made for the DAK show which I'm pretty sure is a clone of the one in Shanghai's land makes me doubt that.

Moth

not gonna lie guys, would rather see moana/zootopia in AK than Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones has almost no messaging regarding to animals or conservation or whatever people were saying Zootopia didn't have, but at least Zootopia had the out of "it has animals lmao laugh its at animal kingdom". Indiana Jones is tenfold a better fit at Hollywood Studios than he is at AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom